• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 Minute Killzone Shadowfall Multiplayer (Team Deathmatch)

ckohler

Of course the chirp sound would be controversial here. :p

I love it. :D I hate when I make a kill in a game and there's no indicator. Death animations can be deceiving. That chirp sound is succinct and pleasant.

ChrisG683

What does this mean ?

Well, aside from the shield thing, the gameplay looks pretty plain. Run, gun, no recoil, get points, rinse repeat.

I really haven't been following it much, but what is the multiplayer's "hook"? Where's the addictive element that's going to keep people playing (aside from the assumed leveling system)? Is it going to rely solely on its gunplay mechanics?

Everyone is raving about how good it looks, but not about the gameplay. I know this is a bit unfair since it's a Team Deathmatch video afterall and doesn't demonstrate other gametypes, but it just doesn't seem to play much differently than your average shooter. It looks like a prettier CoD to me, and I have rinsed my hands clean of CoD a long time ago.

TL:DR Why would I want to buy/play this over BF4, Call of Duty, Halo, etc?

Crysis 3 beats it in grahpics if that's all you care about, and other games seem to have more interesting weapons/abilities/mechanics/vehicles, so in my book it seems pretty boring.

People complaining about frame rate; I don't think you can judge that from a Youtube video since I think they limit the frame rate on their videos. Anyone know if that's correct? I'm sure a few people have said that on GAF before.

Youtube is 30 fps but there are obvious fps drops in the video.

Two things I picked up straight away:

1. Where the hell is recoil? If you look carefully the gun shakes but the reticle is steady as as a brick house.

2. Clean up the camera shake, lens flare and blood splatter. Too much going on at once.

driver116

Awful, guns have no recoil and look like they all shoot the same. Even the sounds are very similar. I'm a big Killzone fan and this is really disappointing. It just plays like CoD now.
tumblr_m7lotx4rFb1rxzks7o1_500.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
I've never gotten that into Killzone's multi, but this video got me genuinely excited. Maybe it's just the eye candy, but even the gunaplay looks kinda awesome.

The gunplay was always one of Killzone's strenghts, in my opinion.
Meaty and satisfying, you feel like you're actually pumping guys full of lead.

The sound does a great job of enhancing this. I looooooove the RAT-TAT-TAT of the submachine gun in the video.

Wish the comparisons to cod would stop, why compare it to such a shit game with no skill required

It's said the be lighter than previous games, the gunplay is mostly ADS, and they have no recoil. I don't find the comparisons out of line.

This has slightly more health going for it though.

Alchemist

Good thing you can filter out games that use it, if its too overpowered.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. They'll be ways to counter it anyway.

Really hoping Guerrilla hit their target for 60 frames. That + free DLC will hold me off buying BF4/Ghosts.

Igo

To add some recoil should be an easy thing.

I hope!

Please GG, add some recoil and we are in good terms here.
No chance.

You know, after see this vid the comments they made about the triggers make perfect sense. No need for an L1/R1 control scheme when there's absolutely no reason to ever release the shoot button.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The weapons and reload animations are outstanding, even by GG standards. Holy freaking crap. Sounds are excellent too.

OMG those fucking guns. I fear for the M82 though :(

I think the furst gun is the new version of it. The M85 Rumbler according to the pickup boxes.

Sojgat

Looks absolutely amazing.

This game has now fully eclipsed my excitement for BF4. This is what I'll be playing at launch.

Well, aside from the shield thing, the gameplay looks pretty plain. Run, gun, no recoil, get points, rinse repeat.

I really haven't been following it much, but what is the multiplayer's "hook"? Where's the addictive element that's going to keep people playing (aside from the assumed leveling system)? Is it going to rely solely on its gunplay mechanics?

Everyone is raving about how good it looks, but not about the gameplay. I know this is a bit unfair since it's a Team Deathmatch video afterall and doesn't demonstrate other gametypes, but it just doesn't seem to play much differently than your average shooter. It looks like a prettier CoD to me, and I have rinsed my hands clean of CoD a long time ago.

TL:DR Why would I want to buy/play this over BF4, Call of Duty, Halo, etc?

Crysis 3 beats it in grahpics if that's all you care about, and other games seem to have more interesting weapons/abilities/mechanics/vehicles, so in my book it seems pretty boring.

The hook in Killzone's MP is in the Warzone gamemode. This video is just plain team deathmatch. Warzone is so much more fun.

Dre3001

Never played killzone before but everyone who I know that has seems to say its a good game despite the controls.

Can someone elaborate on more on the control method in the series and why it seems like that is a common criticism.

I'm not sure why people are so quick to compare it to CoD. Just the fact that your characte doesn't drop the second that someone pulls the trigger on their gun is enough to make it different from CoD.

ButchCat

For those comparing it to COD, are we looking at the same thing? How is this fast paced? The game looks just as sluggish as KZ2. My only gripe is the recoil especially the heavier guns but that hopefully should be fixed by launch.

Levito

Banned
Not sure why everyone is so convinced it looks like CoD, it really doesn't. Isn't it class based just like TF2/KZ2?

Either way it look phenomenal.

The LMG and shotguns seem to have a decent amount. Wish other guns were the same.

I'm having to sit back and let the video buffer for a bit again. Haven't got to those sections yet. Could it be that they've 'dumbed down' the MP for the press at Gamescom? Does that even happen?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm having to sit back and let the video buffer for a bit again. Haven't got to those sections yet. Could it be that they've 'dumbed down' the MP for the press at Gamescom? Does that even happen?

There's only one or two shots with the pump action but it seems to have some serious kick. The auto shotty seems to be the same way.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is the game in SLOW-MO? I feel like it is... It looks generic, too! Oh well..
I guess you havnt played Killzone 2 or 3? Otherwise i dont quite understand the slow-mo comment unless there is something with the video that i didnt notice. What do you mean with that it looks generic? What would it need to not look generic?

That looks like deathmatch with perks. Yep.

Any unique modes this time around? Something besides the standard deathmatch, territories or capture the flag thats in every shooter? Is Operations coming back?

Visually looks good but I don't like the turtle movement or the one way shooting shields. Correct me if I am wrong but can't you just sit behind a shield and kill people easily entering a choke point?

Also, whats with the enemy visors giving off a glaring light that screams enemy head right here? I don't like that... Stuns seem to have the secondary benefit of giving a big highlight to the enemy. A ton of light shafts that I assume cannot be disabled seem to get in the way. I assume its a low FOV from how slow you look like you are moving even while sprinting.

People are saying no recoil but I see it... it is just a very minimal amount. You can't exactly deal with recoil on a controller the same way you can with a mouse so they put minimal amounts in.

OH MY GOD.

Looks so good. Love all the effects. Was thinking of cancelling this pre order and waiting to see more impressions but got damn that looked fairly next gen.

KKRT00

It doesnt look like direct feed, it has strangely, differently lit parts of the screen.

Also framerate is very strange in this encoding. Its sometimes slower it should be, in other scenes it skips frames, really weird.

I like DoF when You get hit and near explosion. Although i wouldnt want it in any MP game, i would play seriously, it would irritate me that i cant see shit :)

lock this shit at 30fps and fuck my eyes with eye candy. fuck smoothness, it's not like you gonna steal people away from COD anyway.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
You should not be able to shoot through them.
It's like that Auger weapon from Resistance. I think it can result in some cool gameplay moments but the shield functionality should be limited by Guerrilla Games.

lock this shit at 30fps and fuck my eyes with eye candy. fuck smoothness, it's not like you gonna steal people away from COD anyway.
The single player is 30 fps, but 60 fps is fine in MP. The only chance this game has of competing with CoD is if it runs at 60 fps which it does.

Top Bottom