• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall is the best looking next gen launch game

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Outside of indies, I don't think that I've ever played a game locked at 60 on consoles.
How old are you? Is this your first generation?

95% of the games on 8 and 16-bit machines were 60 fps, a huge portion of the PS2 library was 60 fps, as were loads of XBOX, Gamecube, and Dreamcast games. Even this gen still has its fair share, though fewer than the previous gen.

No offense dude, but watch the 1080p direct feed and then compare it those screens... Bullshots are something entirely different... Look for the jaggies and dithering at the fences... these are ingame screenshots and yes Killzone SF has some impressive textures.
On my phone the screens look downsampled. If you say they aren't and can look at them full rez than so be it.

zoukka

How old are you? Is this your first generation?

95% of the games on 8 and 16-bit machines were 60 fps, a huge portion of the PS2 library was 60 fps, as were loads of XBOX, Gamecube, and Dreamcast games. Even this gen still has its fair share, though fewer than the previous gen.

People forget so soon. Last gen made console gamers truly ghetto gamers. Piss poor performance and IQ in every single game thanks to non native resolution, low quality filtering, blur, AA solutions and sub 30 framerates. What a nightmare it was.

Those screens are without a doubt downsampled. I don't know what you're on about but all bullshots aren't perfect and they don't mask every flaw.

This is how Killzone Shadowfall looks when you play it (in multiplayer).
Singleplayer will look better.

On my phone the screens look downsampled. If you say they aren't and can look at them full rez than so be it.

are you f.. kidding me??.. On a phone????
Yeah on a phone a Wii game will look like a downsampled high end pc game. Come on son.

velociraptor

This is how Killzone Shadowfall looks when you play it (in multiplayer).
Singleplayer will look better.

are you f.. kidding me??.. On a phone????
Yeah on a phone a Wii game will look like a downsampled high end pc game. Come on son.
We have direct feed footage of the game. It already looks better than those 'bullshots'. Not sure why people are still using that card. Heh.

zoukka

Bad art? Looks like Ancient Rome to me....
Do you mean wonky animation transitions? Ryse definitely has that.

There's just something very sterile about the game, maybe the lighting is flat or the assets too generic, but it kinda looks like a tech demo and not a finished artistic vision.

0405_qqq6q.gif

Chumpion

This post makes me want to die.

It is not one bounce... It has multiple cascades as part of its setting. It can be one bounce or it can be multiple... more often than not they actually added in helper point lights to make it more accurate.

Dude... multiple cascades is for more accuracy near the camera, it doesn't have anything to do with bounces.

There is some kind of iteration variable, which is not the same as bounces but only some kind of propagation of SH coefficients... all I can see is that on Crytek's page they say it "can be extended" to include multiple bounces, but I don't think any of their games actually implements it.

Crytek - the one bounce wonder! Bwahahahahahahah!

Are we doing graphics comparisons using 5 inch screens now? Is that the new thing we're doing?
Apparently.
I'm going to stop watching blu-ray on my 55inch plasma & monster home theater sound system and instead and just watch them on my phone with headphones... maximum fidelity yo

Dude... multiple cascades is for more accuracy near the camera, it doesn't have anything to do with bounces.

There is some kind of iteration variable, which is not the same as bounces but only some kind of propagation of SH coefficients... all I can see is that on Crytek's page they say it "can be extended" to include multiple bounces, but I don't think any of their games actually implements it.

Crytek - the one bounce wonder! Bwahahahahahahah!

You say this like you saw anything better in games you have played, plus it's not like they don't do tons of fake lights on every level too.

iamshadowlark is obviously a troll. You guys are wasting your time.

You learn something new every day. Just now I found out that Crytek GI = ONE BOUNCE from the Sun. No wonder lighting is so flat in Crytek games.

Yes, let's completely forget about SSDO and Image Based Lighting.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My phone displays up to 1080p just fine, thank you. Maybe kill zone looks a lot better than I thought but I can zoom in quite a bit before anything resembling aliasing manifests.

That's the thing. No, they don't.

Time to get that Lens Crafters app then.

Poor excuse but now you know, they are not bullshots.

LiquidMetal14

BF4 beats it

But its the best looking exclusive console shooter ATM, not that there are that many...but yea

How does BF4 beat it? We've seen mainly cam footage. If you're talking PC then I may give you something but to me, BF4 looks like a slightly better BF3. Yes it has better destruction but I'm not as impressed with BF4 as I am with KZ.

It's not even just shooters but the best of the launch bunch.

How does BF4 beat it? We've seen mainly cam footage. If you're talking PC then I may give you something but to me, BF4 looks like a slightly better BF3. Yes it has better destruction but I'm not as impressed with BF4 as I am with KZ.

It's not even just shooters but the best of the launch bunch.

Are PC games not next gen or something?

This thread is starting to remind me of the guy who claimed he could count the number of polygons just by looking at a screenshot.
Now we have people claiming bullshots because they're using their smartphone.
You just gotta love new console launches.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Are PC games not next gen or something?
I don't understand this either, theres not many I'd call next gen if at all but there are next gen PC games in development.
next gen isn't exclusive to consoles.

This thread is starting to remind me of the guy who claimed he could count the number of polygons just by looking at a screenshot.
Now we have people claiming bullshots because they're using their smartphone.
You just gotta love new console launches.
No, I claimed bullshots because they were PR shots released by Sony. I know, companies never ever release bullshots. Looking on my phone, I still couldn't see any noticeable aliasing so yeah I thought they were downsampled. And no, my phone doesn't scale images to fit the screen so it received no downsampling from the browser either...

Yes, but it is very close to Ryse. The funny thing is that neither of those games appeal to me.

I hope next gen shows better weather simulation, special effects, animation, ai, and gameplay changes, if not even this graphics will get old really fast.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No, I claimed bullshots because they were PR shots released by Sony. I know, companies never ever release bullshots. Looking on my phone, I still couldn't see any noticeable aliasing so yeah I thought they were downsampled. And no, my phone doesn't scale images to fit the screen so it received no downsampling from the browser either...
This post.

Wow...........

Look, the gameplay looks just as good as the screens, if not better.

Actually i would disagree about NPC count, there is scene in Ryse reveal where there are around 100 legionnaires running through the gate and its in close proximity to camera, so almost all of them are visible.
Particles effects were also quite outstanding in SP demo, especially though in background or those from catapults
Wind simulation is in both games, Ryse will have same wind technology as in C3.
Yeah, MSAA resolve can be winning in KZ:SF if they manage to put that in.
I think they will be equal in SP, but in MP KZ:SF will be better mostly because there are more action going on screen and it will be running faster.

GG isn't using MSAA, they were researching a new AA better suited to PS4's capabilities. The CryEngine is ages ahead of what GG is doing and also more refined (CryTek has already released Crysis 2, Crysis 3 and Warface already), this is GG's first foray into dx11/next gen.

At the end it will boil down to art direction, and the recent Crytel games all have "bad art" IMO. Good art can make all the difference IMO (Bioshock infinite vs Crysis 3, thought Infinite looked better because of the art design)

GG isn't using MSAA, they were researching a new AA better suited to PS4's capabilities. The CryEngine is ages ahead of what GG is doing and also more refined (CryTek has already released Crysis 2, Crysis 3 and Warface already), this is GG's first foray into dx11/next gen.

At the end it will boil down to art direction, and the recent Crytel games all have "bad art" IMO. Good art can make all the difference IMO (Bioshock infinite vs Crysis 3, thought Infinite looked better because of the art design)
Just because Cryengine is capable of features doesn't mean that they make it into every game.

Just because Cryengine is capable of features doesn't mean that they make it into every game.

Just their main series games (crysis, ryse etc...). They usually push tech actually when they throw it in games.

But now that their RnD staff are together with the engine licencing staff... that may change.

LiquidMetal14

I don't understand this either, theres not many I'd call next gen if at all but there are next gen PC games in development.
next gen isn't exclusive to consoles.

I've been in "next gen" for at least 3 years now on PC. We clearly understand what next gen means when it comes to consoles so I feel I don't have to distinguish that fact.

Top Bottom