• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall is the best looking next gen launch game

GodofWine

The fact we are swooning over the MP footage is amazing...I mean..damn.

They should keep the wraps on single player until right before release, just blow minds...or use it in a sony commercial, imagine watching your local NFL or Football (Euro) match on a Sunday and all of a sudden your big HD TV is filled with the glorious image of KZ SP sizzle reel...or all the TVs in the bar are melting with full HD particle effects...oh man.

But sony wont advertise anything as usual :)

KKRT00

I think those pics definitely help illustrate the difference i'm talking about.

Look at that ground texture and poor geometry on the arena floor.
Yeah, ground texture is actually about the same resolution as KZ:SF ground texture, its just different art. You probably add shader to the equation. There is also PoM in both games.
And no, Ryse do not have blocky geometry, actually You can see that its not blocky, for example on those crates, they arent straight boxes, but have very curved dents, same goes for all those spikes etc. Also whole geometry is dynamic there and its layout is randomized.
Seriously, You're talking just about art, You will see at launch.

==
The lighting that you are hyping to all heaven effects nothing outside the characters. It has no variance between the different physical materials and gives the scene a washed out look. Im betting there's no HDR or if there is, its the poorest implementation in a while.
Please, stop talking about lighting, You have no idea what You are talking about.
If You want educate Yourself about how lighting works in CE 3.5 check those presentations:
http://crytek.com/download/Playing with Real-Time Shadows.pdf
http://crytek.com/download/fmx2013_c3_art_tech_donzallaz_sousa.pdf
http://crytek.com/download/pierre-y...usa_lighting_in_crysis_2_gdc_europe_2011.pptx
http://crytek.com/download/Graphics_CryENGINE_3_Rendering_Techniques_final.ppt

You have everything there, from current gen console specific optimization, through evolution of rendering since Far Cry, depth buffers for different platforms, performance costs, advanced graphical techniques, whole shadowing pipeline, AA solutions etc. Read comments in pptx too.
And about HDR, they had HDR since Far Cry, now they are even using whole post-process pipeline to be HDR correct.
And this:
ibz4hnqyzzhFE7.jpg

Lazaro

So that's what a DX11+ game actually looks like. Gotta admire the motion blur and intense Bokeh DOF.

I'm not surprised how Guerrilla Games can make the game's graphics equal to or greater to Cryteks games. They regularly visit each others studios anyway.

Yeah, ground texture is actually about the same resolution as KZ:SF ground texture, its just different art. You probably add shader to the equation. There is also PoM in both games.
And no, Ryse do not have blocky geometry, actually You can see that its not blocky, for example on those crates, they arent straight boxes, but have very curved dents, same goes for all those spikes etc. Also whole geometry is dynamic there and its layout is randomized.
Seriously, You're talking just about art, You will see at launch.

==

Please, stop talking about lighting, You have no idea what You are talking about.
If You want educate Yourself about how lighting works in CE 3.5 check those presentations:
http://crytek.com/download/Playing with Real-Time Shadows.pdf
http://crytek.com/download/fmx2013_c3_art_tech_donzallaz_sousa.pdf
http://crytek.com/download/pierre-y...usa_lighting_in_crysis_2_gdc_europe_2011.pptx
http://crytek.com/download/Graphics_CryENGINE_3_Rendering_Techniques_final.ppt

You have everything there, from current gen console specific optimization, through evolution of rendering since Far Cry, depth buffers for different platforms, performance costs, advanced graphical techniques, whole shadowing pipeline, AA solutions etc. Read comments in pptx too.
And about HDR, they had HDR since Far Cry, now they are even using whole post-process pipeline to be HDR correct.
And this:
I'm not going to keep going in circles with you. It's obvious you are going to defend this game and its flaws to the grave. Thanks for the ppts though. Still didn't do anything to explain the washed out bloomish looking lighting in those arena shots/gifs but it was a good read at least.

kpaadet

What's this rubbish? All you get for ANY game that is not released is just what the developer is targeting.

The same conditional applies to Titanfall then; "aiming for 60fps", or XBONE's new snap UI "aiming to be flawless".. bla bla bla.

This bullshit reply, which I've seen multiple times from the FUD brigade, that targeting 60fps is somehow distinct from saying directly that it's 60fps in multiplayer, is dishonestly applied specifically to K:SF.

The difference is that Titanfall was always made with 60 fps in mind and according to recent interviews are willing to sacrifice resolution in order to achieve it. Meanwhile GG have only stated that they are targeting 60fps, that dosn't mean its confirmed! Why dont we try to be hopeful that they will succeed instead of just asuming and then go crazy if it dosn't work out the way we'd hoped.

shinnn

I'm not going to keep going in circles with you. It's obvious you are going to defend this game and its flaws to the grave. Thanks for the ppts though. Still didn't do anything to explain the washed out bloomish looking lighting in those arena shots/gifs but it was a good read at least.
"whashed out"... wtf

ifzCtI477k2yC.gif

Did you even watched the video? there's plenty of variation in the lighting. And textures are good enough. Nothing "low res". lol.

Violater

I don't think there is a need to put down Ryse or Titan Fall in an attempt to say SF looks great.
All three of them have different art styles and scope and look great imo.

beast786

"whashed out"... wtf

ifzCtI477k2yC.gif

Did you even watched the video? there's plenty of variation in the lighting. And textures are good enough. Nothing "low res". lol.

Looks amazing but it's funny to see the slow mo but the body on the ground has a tourette syndrome. Animation during combat looks weak and I want some blood on the ground dammit

Ryse probably has nice tech, but the bad art makes it hard to see.

Bad art? Looks like Ancient Rome to me....
Do you mean wonky animation transitions? Ryse definitely has that.

Looks amazing but it's funny to see the slow mo but the body on the ground has a tourette syndrome. Animation during combat looks weak and I want some blood on the ground dammit

There is blood ont he ground. It even receives specular information from light probes and SSR. I personally would like a fluid sim based blood though

repeater

Meanwhile GG have only stated that they are targeting 60fps, that dosn't mean its confirmed! Why dont we try to be hopeful that they will succeed instead of just asuming and then go crazy if it dosn't work out the way we'd hoped.
Precisely my point.

luffeN

But what about the weapon sounds? I watched the multiplayer gamescom videos and the weapon sounds seemed so... cheap? Like someone was drumming on a barrel and so on. Are those trademark sounds for Killzone?

But what about the weapon sounds? I watched the multiplayer gamescom videos and the weapon sounds seemed so... cheap? Like someone was drumming on a barrel and so on. Are those trademark sounds for Killzone?

They're some of the beefiest and most satisfying weapon sounds in a shooter that I've heard...not sure what to tell you lol. Killzone is known for its weapon sound design.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow can't believe some of the posts here. KZ is a stunning looking game, how can anyone deny that? >.<
Yeah, I don't know why people are surprised at Killzone having crazy visuals at launch either. It's on PS4 and GG is one of the most talented tech teams Sony has and they have great artists. I can understand people not liking the series or finding the gameplay unappealing but the graphics aren't really anything you can knock.

luffeN

They're some of the beefiest and most satisfying weapon sounds in a shooter that I've heard...not sure what to tell you lol. Killzone is known for its weapon sound design.

Some of the weapons sound like the shooting sound is playing in the background without any correlation to the shooting itself. Like drumming on something as I wrote before. Not sure what to think about that. It feels like the weapon is mounted like a gatling gun.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If you're all going to keep bringing up Ryse, I'll ask: why do they all walk like robots in most of these gifs, particularly the most recent one shown in this thread? The game otherwise looks nice in terms of basic visuals, but why is the animation still so janky?

bj00rn_

Banned
Wow can't believe some of the posts here. KZ is a stunning looking game, how can anyone deny that? >.<

The only reason for me is that I just don't "believe" in the art-style/universe, especially the characters (and the red eyes never made logical sense to me) and the amount of superfluous crap on the screen (lense-flares, strobes, dirt..). Other than that it looks technically good of course. Just my personal taste, and hence why I normally don't participate in Killzone threads. I guess that's also the reason for why I don't think it's the best looking launch game..

The difference is that Titanfall was always made with 60 fps in mind and according to recent interviews are willing to sacrifice resolution in order to achieve it. Meanwhile GG have only stated that they are targeting 60fps, that dosn't mean its confirmed! Why dont we try to be hopeful that they will succeed instead of just asuming and then go crazy if it dosn't work out the way we'd hoped.
How do you know that Killzone MP hasn't always had 60fps in mind?

Yep. love the sounds in that multiplayer video. Very sharp and deadly sounding. Plus Killzone is the only game I've played where you can actually hear your gun running out of bullets.....good stuff!

Also. that Ryse GIF looks great!

Killzone Shadow Fall will probably beat out Ryse in the end IMO. Why?

*Superior art direction
*More NPC's on screen (the first demo had about 60 NPC's on screen)
*Better and more particle effects (Smoke, sparks, debris etc)
*Wind simulation in the world?!
*FXAA + a new AA method
*The tech seems solid. They are faking a lot of things (like reflections) but it looks good

I think at the end it will come down to art direction
ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

ibmjWK4FJujp5K.gif

ibvZ53RXBDlNFL.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

*Superior art direction
*FXAA + a new AA method
*The tech seems solid. They are faking a lot of things (like reflections) but it looks good

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

ibmjWK4FJujp5K.gif

ibvZ53RXBDlNFL.gif
I'm really curious as to what that section will look like at launch. The footage we have is from February and was running on old dev kits with an older toolset.

Marvel

could never
Sold some stuff so I can have this game too, so freaking happy right now. Gonna have to get some Gaffers together to play it :D

I hope you are joking...
Why are people debating graphics when their eyes don't work properly? Yes it sounds harsh but a LOT of people here seriosuly can't tell the fucking difference between a bullshot and a MP gameplay shot plagued with jaggies and other game related artifacts.

If you can't tell that these are NOT bullshots, then.. damn.

velociraptor

*Superior art direction
*FXAA + a new AA method

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

ibmjWK4FJujp5K.gif

ibvZ53RXBDlNFL.gif
KZSF seems to be doing more things than Ryse at any one time as far as I can tell. Also, the scale appears to be a lot bigger. There are many non-linear sandbox style levels in the game.

I hope you are joking...
Why are people debating graphics when their eyes don't work properly? Yes it sounds harsh but a LOT of people here seriosuly can't tell the fucking difference between a bullshot and a MP gameplay shot plagued with jaggies and other game related artifacts.

If you can't tell that these are NOT bullshots, then.. damn.
Those screens are without a doubt downsampled. I don't know what you're on about but all bullshots aren't perfect and they don't mask every flaw.

Chumpion

You learn something new every day. Just now I found out that Crytek GI = ONE BOUNCE from the Sun. No wonder lighting is so flat in Crytek games.

KKRT00

*Superior art direction
*FXAA + a new AA method

Actually i would disagree about NPC count, there is scene in Ryse reveal where there are around 100 legionnaires running through the gate and its in close proximity to camera, so almost all of them are visible.
Particles effects were also quite outstanding in SP demo, especially though in background or those from catapults
Wind simulation is in both games, Ryse will have same wind technology as in C3.
Yeah, MSAA resolve can be winning in KZ:SF if they manage to put that in.
I think they will be equal in SP, but in MP KZ:SF will be better mostly because there are more action going on screen and it will be running faster.

Art definitely is more polished in KZ:SF, still completely different games. I personally like Rome setting, but i would prefer it to be darker and mixed more with mythology, but KZ:SF is great as a sci-fi.

==

I'm not defending game, i'm defending tech and Your claims are just wrong, so why shouldnt i correct You?
Np wtf with washed out?

--
You learn something new every day. Just now I found out that Crytek GI = ONE BOUNCE from the Sun. No wonder lighting is so flat in Crytek games.

I dont even ...

This post makes me want to die.

It is not one bounce... It has multiple cascades as part of its setting. It can be one bounce or it can be multiple... more often than not they actually added in helper point lights to make it more accurate.

Flat is not usually the word I would use to describe lighting in crytek games given their stance on ambient occlusion and indirect lighting.

Those screens are without a doubt downsampled. I don't know what you're on about but all bullshots aren't perfect and they don't mask every flaw.

Those are 100% not bullshots. They are native res and lack cohesive AA (among other tiny things like lacking per object motionblur). The game actually looks better in motion than those shots imply.

Jack cw

No offense dude, but watch the 1080p direct feed and then compare it those screens... Bullshots are something entirely different... Look for the jaggies and dithering at the fences... these are ingame screenshots and yes Killzone SF has some impressive textures.

Top Bottom