• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall is the best looking next gen launch game

how the hell do you upload gifs? Is there a thread for this somewhere?

right click on the gif and select "copy image url" after that when posting choose the insert Image button... which is the yellow picture with the mountain tops and sun... paste the url in the blank space provided and post

----------------------------------
I also can't wait for the single player story trailer of KZ SF I hope it will be a final build being shown

I sincerely hope this is to show how much better Killzone looks becasue if not LULZ

seriously, KZ is in just a higher league.

not a knock on titanfall or anything, it actually looks like a fun game itself, but when it comes to visuals the shadow fall gif shows its above and beyond.

I preordered the BF4 bundle at Amazon. I'm still looking forward to BF4 but after all of this gamescom footage KZ has surged ahead of it in the hype rankings inside of my brain.

Domino792

I don't know but if Ryse was on PS4, you guys would love it.

image_35039.jpg

It being on PS4 wouldn't stop the game play from being a terrible mess.

Then why does PS3 owners love Heavy Rain? it's full of QTE. I'm not hating, just curious. And i own both consoles btw...

Heavy Rain is such a divisive game, mostly you either hate it or love it and gaf have it's fair share of both sides.

anyway, I love Heavy Rain because of the storytelling, not because of the gameplay, so you can't compare that to Ryse.

squidyj

Then why does PS3 owners love Heavy Rain? it's full of QTE. I'm not hating, just curious. And i own both consoles btw...

You're not curious, just ignorant if you can't see the fundamental differences between a title like Heavy Rain and a title like Ryse. if you're boiling everything in Heavy Rain down to QTEs lol, then you're going full retard.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Heavy Rain is such a divisive game, mostly you either hate it or love it and gaf have it's fair share of both sides.

anyway, I love Heavy Rain because of the storytelling, not because of the gameplay, so you can't compare that to Ryse.

I hate action/hack n slash/shooters with too much or poorly designed QTE

Heavy Rain is not that kinda game.

Ywap

Does not matter if it is.

If a game is great looking its great looking 30fps or 60fps.

I respect your opinion but i don´t agree. It´s when you start moving you can begin to judge the beauty of a game imo.

It´s all about how things look in motion.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jeez dude, blanket statement much? I'm a PS3 owner and I've never even played the game. Considering it sold, what, maybe 3-4 million copies and there's about 75 million PS3s out there, you've really pushing the boundaries of broad generalizations.

I keep seeing people compare Ryse to Lair. I remember Lair being the darling of the forum prerelease. There were as many gifs for it as there are Shadowfall now. Hindsight 20/20 and all that.
It was the darling until it started making the tradeshow rounds in playable form at which point lackluster impressions of gameplay started filtering in and by the time it went gold and it started getting reviewed, most were already bracing for the worst.

I'm in kinda shocked at how hyped I am for this game following this MP footage being released. It was that moment when I realized "this is going to be a next gen experience", and now I can't wait to play this game at launch.

I really hope they finally nail it with the campaign, because I always felt like the story/writing were the only parts of the previous Killzone games that were truly sub par. If they can get that right we're gonna have a true gem on our hands.

I'm in kinda shocked at how hyped I am for this game following this MP footage being released. It was that moment when I realized "this is going to be a next gen experience", and now I can't wait to play this game at launch.

I really hope they finally nail it with the campaign, because I always felt like the story/writing were the only parts of the previous Killzone games that were truly sub par. If they can get that right we're gonna have a true gem on our hands.

Killlzone
killzowned.gif

yeah, it has that effect on people

banjo5150

You're not curious, just ignorant if you can't see the fundamental differences between a title like Heavy Rain and a title like Ryse. if you're boiling everything in Heavy Rain down to QTEs lol, then you're going full retard.

You never go full retard. :)

I am playing throu killzone 3 right now and I am having no issues with 30fps, the controls or graphics. All feels good. Can't wait for shadow fall.

Spongebob

Banned
It definitely is, without question.

People should also realize that the SP footage being shown in this thread is from February. Visually SP will look a good deal better than that come November.

Outside of launch though, Infamous Second Son is the best looking game though.

Fabrikator said:
no "next gen" game should be 30 fps IMO.

It doesn't matter what platform it's on, PS4 or a NASA supercomputer, there will always be a design choice to be made as a tradeoff between detail and frame rate. It's not like you pass some magical technology barrier and everything is 60 fps all the time.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The BF footage shown thus far has been PC. Console visual fidelity isn't up to par.

And we know it is not up to par because we have seen the console versions?

Console versions don't have to look as good as the maxed out PC version to be up to par...

It doesn't matter what platform it's on, PS4 or a NASA supercomputer, there will always be a design choice to be made as a tradeoff between detail and frame rate. It's not like you pass some magical technology barrier and everything is 60 fps all the time.

God bless you for posting this. I have no idea why so few people understand what you're saying here.

BigTnaples

Yup. Maybe one day people will realize this and stop saying silly things.

Nah.

Lair was fun guys ;-;
beat it three times

The audio was a pretty big deal at the time, more so than the visuals which I still think are pretty good and have an incredible sense of scale despite low res textures. Wasn't it the first 7.1 game?

Agreed fully here. The number of dynamic shadows and volumetric lights, combined with ALL lights being treated as area lights (for correct spectral reflections) is beyond anything else, including Crysis 3, which did not have proper area lights (despite being listed as an engine feature) and featured relatively few non screen space volumetric lights.

All in all Crysis 3 used about 200 area lights from my knowledge... but yeah, did not really have much if any volumetric fill lights (fog shadow volumes and particle lighting do not count).

morlock

I really hope they remove the aim-marker in the middle of the screen when ADS, and only use whats on the gun when aiming down the sights.

EOHgLFh.jpg

It looks like zero recoil as its fixed but the gun moves around when shooting. KZ2 + M82 only had a tiny green dot in the sight and that was all we need. :)

BigTnaples

LOL. Realism. Sure.

1. Killzone 2 was arguably the best FPS of this generation.

2. Killzone is one of the more realistic Sci Fi video games out there. You can still have realism in games set in the future. Weight and feeling of being an actual soldier adds realism no matter the timeframe or universe.

Call of Duty: Ghost's "Cranked Mode" is the opposite of realism, and is arcade in nature.

So yeah, he is right on all fronts.

Norml

Agreed fully here. The number of dynamic shadows and volumetric lights, combined with ALL lights being treated as area lights (for correct spectral reflections) is beyond anything else, including Crysis 3, which did not have proper area lights (despite being listed as an engine feature) and featured relatively few non screen space volumetric lights.

The smoke is nice too :p

iblHYeENlHSG7l.gif

I respect your opinion but i don´t agree. It´s when you start moving you can begin to judge the beauty of a game imo.

It´s all about how things look in motion.

Oh, shutup. Hollywood blockbusters run at 24 fps. Doesn't stop them from looking leaps and bounds ahead of anything even the best gaming PC can do.

Brashnir

1. Killzone 2 was arguably the best FPS of this generation.

2. Killzone is one of the more realistic Sci Fi video games out there. You can still have realism in games set in the future. Weight and feeling of being an actual soldier adds realism no matter the timeframe or universe.

Call of Duty: Ghost's "Cranked Mode" is the opposite of realism, and is arcade in nature.

So yeah, he is right on all fronts.

Killzone 2 is a bad game, and faux-realism is an incredibly unrealistic game is never an excuse for bad controls.

boo7z

Oh, shutup. Hollywood blockbusters run at 24 fps. Doesn't stop them from looking leaps and bounds ahead of anything even the best gaming PC can do.

You realize 24fps film is completely different than 24fps gaming. One is awesome and the other is shit. Film naturally has motion blur and that's what makes it bearable.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Bah, i'll wait as someone reupload it :) What a pity that gamersyde doesnt have access there.

D/B roll is not supposed to be posted as is. It's to be used in coverage of a game or multiple games, but should absolutely not be used without editing and commentary. That's also why we didn't post the Killzone MP b-roll either for example. Youtubers do whatever the fuck they want with little consequences, we definitely can't do that.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
GG need to put more footage of this game out because the American media are going to be hell bent on ignoring it in favour of Battlefield and Titanfall. This game makes those game look last gen to me. Both Driveclub and KZS need far more exposure to offset the ignorance I'm seeing everywhere. I'm not a lover of either racing games or FPS but I can see quite clearly they ARE next gen.

Top Bottom