• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5 (Platform Unknown), Ace Attorney 123HD (iOS) announced

thetechkid

gs4.jpg

:p

Fan made games really stepping up their game.

Tizoc

Perhaps they could release it as DD for the 3DS, with this new Nintendo Network stuff coming it could be a higher profile release for the eshop.

I'm surprised they haven't done it that way by now. It'd give me an incentive to pick up a 3DS.

No it doesn't. The lines are thinker and the coloring is different so it just looks like they traced the old sprites in photoshop.

Also they were all originally hand drawn and have those assets readily available. They've used it for some of the japanese promos.

Badly compressed image but it gets the idea across:
5CSxq.jpg

This is revised artwork for the DS remake of GS1, I believe. See: concept art from the GBA GS1:

OA20-20Mia.jpg

The artwork in the iOS game is actually sourced from the artbook.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Actually more curious about the updated ios game.

I assume it will use some assets that were in the ace attorney movie app that recently came out?

http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app//id494494527?l=ja&ls=1&mt=8

c20120126_gyakusai_05_cs1w1_720x.jpg

c20120126_gyakusai_06_cs1w1_720x.jpg

Aww, I was hoping they were using the original artwork. Hype for HD died.

No it doesn't. The lines are thinker and the coloring is different so it just looks like they traced the old sprites in photoshop.

Also they were all originally hand drawn and have those assets readily available. They've used it for some of the japanese promos.

Badly compressed image but it gets the idea across:
http://i.imgur.com/5CSxq.jpg
Actually, no. These are not old sprites traced in Photoshop.
The sprites in the first quote are the illustrations they made the GBA sprites from (after, of course, some touching up). The outlines are thicker because they needed to be visualized at a very low resolution. Simply downscaling the artwork wouldn't have worked well, the lines would have been nearly invisible.

wmyTL.gif
iQh5P.gif

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I kinda acknowledged that two posts above ya Jocchan. O:
Although I do wish they'd clean up the coloring a bit at least since it's not very good.

Nohar

That is fantastic ! I just hope that this time this game will be translated (at least in English).
I can hazard that the next platform will be the 3DS. It would be in Nintendo's interest. I would be surprised to hear that the game would be on Wii U.
Anyway, I'm just hoping that this game won't have the same treatment as Investigations 2.
... And that Phoenix will be back as the main character. Appolo isn't that bad, but he will stay overshadowed by Phoenix.
I'm wondering if we'll have the conclusion (or at least some new informations) of the "Kristoph Gavin" storyline. We never discovered what was hidden behind his black psyche-locks (now that I remember, he had an epic break-down... Brrrr).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I kinda acknowledged that two posts above ya Jocchan. O:
My point was a bit different, that the original illustrations had thicker outlines because they needed to be downscaled for the GBA screen (plus some touching up and colour reduction) :)

MLH

OMG so excite!
Is Takumi on board? Will he be writing the story?
I hope this will end up on 3DS, or even Vita, just not on iPhone...
And a possiblility for AAI2 localisation! Be still, my beating heart.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
My point was a bit different, that the original illustrations had thicker outlines because they needed to be downscaled for the GBA screen (plus some touching up and colour reduction) :)

Well that part is assumed from that conclusion! Although a more detailed explanation is appreciated.

AAI2 didn't come because they decided stores would not stock a game from that series on a dying system at the end of 2011, at least not in the numbers they would need to justify it. They did themselves no favors by totally lying about the reason, though.

If, somehow, Ace Attorney 5 does not come out here (and I stress that, AAI2 aside, there's no reason to believe that to be the case), then Capcom USA does not believe the series has international traction anymore. And that will be terrible.

Layton vs. Ace Attorney should be out in American before any localization decisions on AA5 are made. Hopefully that sells well and convinces Capcom that the latter half of that title is still viable here.

That said, I do wonder if AA1-3 will come to America. Redrawn sprites, yeah, so logically it should, but you never know. They somehow never got around to bring Ghost Trick iOS out here.

mutsu

"This is the most glooorius day of my life!l"

I simply cannot believe 5 will ever be announced. Wow!!! I am excited an no matter what platform it is, I am getting it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
zym5E.jpg

This iOS trend is making me mad.

Anyway the blue logo in the AA5 title is making me think of phoenix *swoon*

A friend of mine just pointed out that the sparkle is also located where it was in the first three games:

pHIZY.png

In GS4, it's on the right:

5fEtG.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wish we had gotten some more info on GS5 since there is nothing to do but speculate on it's direction and protagonist at the moment.

The colour combo in the logo makes me think we might be in for an Apollo & Phoenix game. They've got Phoenix's blue for the title and Apollo's red for the 5, so maybe the reason for no character silhouette is because it would look a bit silly with two of them on there pointing.

Makes me curious if it will be a Trials & Tribulations style past / present scenario, or something else entirely.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The colour combo in the logo makes me think we might be in for an Apollo & Phoenix game. They've got Phoenix's blue for the title and Apollo's red for the 5, so maybe the reason for no character silhouette is because it would look a bit silly with two of them on there pointing.

Makes me curious if it will be a Trials & Tribulations style past / present scenario, or something else entirely.

Phoenix VS Apollo!

syllogism

FUCK STOP REMINDING ME HOW MUCH I WANT TO PLAY DANGAN RONPA

But yes AA5 is good, I just hope it comes out here
There's a screenshot LP of dangan ronpa on SA and the guy is translating everything. He also posts subtitled videos of important scenes. For instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ZEu8vf5OM

Some guy in the thread even bits of the real rom, as a proof of concept, though at this point it's not clear if that actually is going anywhere

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The colour combo in the logo makes me think we might be in for an Apollo & Phoenix game. They've got Phoenix's blue for the title and Apollo's red for the 5 [...]
I was about to point out the red number, but GS3 also had a red-ish number, so I'm not sure that would be reaching.

[...], so maybe the reason for no character silhouette is because it would look a bit silly with two of them on there pointing.
I guess you're right (quick mockup):

Btwhf.png

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Fuck yes, I'm tingling. I don't give a rat's ass about the platform for this one, just give it to me and I'll eventually buy the dud to play it. The idea of not playing all games in this series pains me, I'm still bummed about the whole AAI2 fiasco. ;( Never understood why they didn't localize Ghost Trick iOS either since the translation was already done on DS.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Fuck yes, I'm tingling. I don't give a rat's ass about the platform for this one, just give it to me and I'll eventually buy the dud to play it.

Yeah, when I usually don't have the platform the game I want releases I usually buy it beforehand and wait till I get the device. I get over excited about a few things. O:

trinest

I also think the mocked up logo looks badass.

Send it to Capcom and get it into the game, seriously they need to do that.

I agree about the symatry thou.

Top Bottom