• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of Mayhem |OT| Ain'ts Row

I'm almost done downloading it. I wasn't expecting much though, so I'm not really surprised by the reviews. It looks like something I can get some fun out of.

JohngPR

I impulse bought it last night and played for an hour. I keep hearing that the first parts of the game aren't the game at its best which is reassuring for me because I think the game is pretty fun so far.

I like the Sain't Row humor meets GI Joe storyline so far as well. Going to play it for a little longer today.

jayvo

Well, regardless of reviews, I still want to play this. I'm just not sure which system that I want this on. PC, PS4 Pro or Xbox One (which is my primary system).

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Preorder cancelled. Technical issues married with ho hum gameplay? No.

Certinty

Pretty much the reviews I expected but part of me still wants it. Just have a feeling it will drop rapidly in price.

hbkdx12

Played for a few hours. Game is fun. Feels very middle of the road in terms of enjoyment which is exactly how I view the saints row series ( at least after 3 anyway) a good one and done game.

It's basically a mix of saints row, crackdown and Saturday morning cartoons. Unless the quality/content just dives off a cliff, I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy myself all the way through but not be blown away by the overall experience (again, much like saints row)

I'm really enjoying all the ways you can augment and customize your agents and their weapons. Wasn't really expecting it to be as deep as it is.

I'll probably be able to pick up my preordered copy later this week. The game looks like it's right up my alley. The reviews don't bother me one bit, most of the games I've enjoyed have been ones that get mediocre reviews. I've always loved Violition's humor and gameplay.

Indelible

I have had no technical problems on PS4, the game has run really well after more than 6 hours of play time. I would give the game about a 7.5/10 at this point, I love the characters and the gameplay is really fun but the missions do have a repetitive feel to them. Worth a pick up at a discount.

I have had no technical problems on PS4, the game has run really well after more than 6 hours of play time. I would give the game about a 7.5/10 at this point, I love the characters and the gameplay is really fun but the missions do have a repetitive feel to them. Worth a pick up at a discount.

Yeah some missions do stand out and get better but yeah my review was a 7.5 after finishing.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Here's my standard gripe with the whole "optimisation isn't very good" thing... just because you can't get 60fps all the time at ultra on high end hardware it doesn't mean the game is "unoptimised".

What are the ultra settings doing? What do ultra settings mean in this instance? Etc etc.

If turning hardware intensive settings down doesn't improve the situation then we might be able to start talking about a scenario where a game is "unoptimised".

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/agents-of-mayhem-release / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXMCPkk8k9c

HFTS, TXAA, Volumetric Lighting, and all the game's own effects.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The PC version has unlocked. Steam refreshes apps every five minutes, so you may need to restart the client to trigger the unpacking process.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Heard from the Waypoint podcast that almost everyone who worked on SR 3 and 4 left the studio

So this seems like another Andromeda situation

I wonder how all the THQ fallout and acquisition by Koch/Deep Silver has affected things over at Volition. Gat Out of Hell was funny and fun, but it was pretty bare bones and the third reuse of Steelport and the SR3 assets. AOM is a fresh start, but still somewhat minimalistic.

Heard from the Waypoint podcast that almost everyone who worked on SR 3 and 4 left the studio

So this seems like another Andromeda situation

Uum if that's true that doesn't bode well for Saints Row 5. I was hoping AOM is just a bump in the road for Volition.

FHIZ

I don't know how much this has anything to do with the PC port, but Nvidia did release new drivers yesterday for this game. May be worth updating before jumping in.

Going by the reviews, I hope they try to save this game just like EA did with Andromeda with lots of post launch reworkings. It really needs some help.

mas8705

Quite a bit of split opinions on this game so far. Kind of makes me sad that I won't know how it will play until I get home later this evening. Going to be working on a review for it for the site I work for, and I'd like to think that it will at least be worth while. We'll see...

this thread is kind of dead. I guess everyone was hoping those reviews would be a little higher. This is about what I expected. I think I'll wait to play my preorder until they iron out some of the bugs and such. There are clearly performance issues as well, at least on ultra settings.

Lulubop

Rated it a Wait for a Deep Sale for ACG
Summary
Performance issues on all systems, boring after a couple hours. Just falls apart. Maybe good for a couple hours at most. Anything after that and its easily replaced by hundreds of better options.

Pros
Agents Design, effects, basic gunplay, sound
Cons
Music, Voice, Writing, Gameplay longevity, MMO stylings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzI4JhqsFt0

Just wanna say, I love your stuff bro.

Find it strange that ACG talked about how shitty the performance problems could be after he seemed confused in another thread about TotalBiscuit having the same in his stream. What combination of settings were tested? High? Just ultra? Very High? A combination of some of these.

Orca

Played a couple hours last night and found it really fun. Combat is a blast, with a ton of movement and verticality needed when you bump up the difficulty. I tried Agent of Mayhem difficulty with my level 3 guys and it was a little TOO much, so I bumped it down one notch and it was just about perfect. Had to move around a lot to avoid dying, make use of abilities a ton...it felt great.

I wish the health bar was up top though, it's hard to see it in the heat of battle and guys would die with me thinking they were doing fine.

weekev

Banned
Disappointed the OT title wasn't "agents of maybe" not sure who the target market for this is. It looks like a neat multiplayer experience but there's no multiplayer. Will have a look through the impressions before making a decision on the game.

Zukkoyaki

Seems like Deep Silver buying the studio was pointless then if everyone just left.

Deep Silver released Homefront: The Revolution while it was held together with duct tape

They really don't give a fuck

They're kind of a weird publisher in general.

On multiple occasions they've looked like they were about to establish themselves as a significant player in the industry but they never quite get there due to various reasons like bad products such as Homefront, poor marketing decisions like with Mighty No. 9, and legit bad luck like with Dead Island 2 ending up in development hell. Outside of the lightning in a bottle that they had with Dead Island 1, things just never seem to really go their way.

Their portfolio also differs wildly depending on the region they're in. Deep Silver in EU feels like a completely different company from Deep Silver US.

At least Metro Exodus looks legit fantastic... and Agents is still a very fun game.

razzel

After a couple hours I think the game is a blast. A little disappointed I only rented, so far I think it's worth a purchase.

Great action gameplay, lots of personality, good graphics, and the performance issues have been overblown.

I redboxed the ps4 version I'm enjoying the game so far. It runs alright on ps4 pro not a locked 60fps but it's not unplayable. I like the art style and the cartoon cut scenes are cool. I like the cell shading I wouldn't mind if they kept this art style for the next saints row game.

Not sure I could recommend the game at 60$ but after unlocking the first new agent I'm having a good time with it.

Karak

Find it strange that ACG talked about how shitty the performance problems could be after he seemed confused in another thread about TotalBiscuit having the same in his stream. What combination of settings were tested? High? Just ultra? Very High? A combination of some of these.

The reported less than 10 fps he got never got to that with me or even close and mine is less powerful. But still had issues.

Lingitiz

i get the impression this is going to be volitions equivalent to HAZE. they make their first fully current gen title and for whatever reason they decided against making a sequel to their popular franchise from the previous gen (saints row) and produced an absolute flop nobody asked for instead.

i just hope it doesn't outright kill them as a studio like HAZE did to free radical.

Seems more similar to Battleborn to me.

I wonder how all the THQ fallout and acquisition by Koch/Deep Silver has affected things over at Volition. Gat Out of Hell was funny and fun, but it was pretty bare bones and the third reuse of Steelport and the SR3 assets. AOM is a fresh start, but still somewhat minimalistic.

you're being too kind. this's the most stripped-down, bare-bones open world environment i've seen in a full-price game in quite a while. as in, extremely minimalistic! :) ...

Kaizer

Banned
Rated it a Wait for a Deep Sale for ACG
Summary
Performance issues on all systems, boring after a couple hours. Just falls apart. Maybe good for a couple hours at most. Anything after that and its easily replaced by hundreds of better options.

Pros
Agents Design, effects, basic gunplay, sound
Cons
Music, Voice, Writing, Gameplay longevity, MMO stylings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzI4JhqsFt0

Sounds about right, gotta admit the game does look better than I expected but this definitely looks like a game to play when it's $20 or less.

Euuuuugh. The world is so bland. Also, why the hell is there only, like, three civilians and two vehicles per city block? Does not feel like an actual city.

Scoops312

Banned
They're kind of a weird publisher in general.

On multiple occasions they've looked like they were about to establish themselves as a significant player in the industry but they never quite get there due to various reasons like bad products such as Homefront, poor marketing decisions like with Mighty No. 9, and legit bad luck like with Dead Island 2 ending up in development hell. Outside of the lightning in a bottle that they had with Dead Island 1, things just never seem to really go their way.

Their portfolio also differs wildly depending on the region they're in. Deep Silver in EU feels like a completely different company from Deep Silver US.

At least Metro Exodus looks legit fantastic... and Agents is still a very fun game.

I wouldn't call it bad luck since had they just given Tech Land what they wanted they would have never jumped ship to WB and Dying light would have gone on to make even more money as Dead Island 2.

Volition is getting slammed hard for this game on the Steam forums. People shitposting with thread titles like "Got a refund" "can't wait to refund this game" "don't buy"

And some of them didn't own the game when they posted or weren't going to buy it anyway. Some of the more legit posts are very unhappy with the performance and bug issues. Volition reps are on there saying that people are lying about their performance. "I have this and this setup. No way some of you are experiencing these kind of drops"

Same thing that happened to me by the Vanishing of Ethan Carter developer.

renzolama

I saw this cited in a number of reviews, but the lack of damage feedback for your currently active agent is comically bad. It feels like some lights sparkle in a corner of the screen and suddenly you're switching agents with a red X on previous.

Zukkoyaki

I wouldn't call it bad luck since had they just given Tech Land what they wanted they would have never jumped ship to WB and Dying light would have gone on to make even more money as Dead Island 2.

I mean, Yager had bungled the game enough that Deep Silver took the project from them and gave it to Sumo Digital. Sure they messed up by not signing on for what would become Dying Light, but it isn't their fault their dev partner dropped the ball so hard.

Lijik

Euuuuugh. The world is so bland. Also, why the hell is there only, like, three civilians and two vehicles per city block? Does not feel like an actual city.

Gotta agree. I love the aesthetic but theres no life to this games take on Seoul. Ive been playing the first saints row lately, and even though its not the openworld city the little details it does have make a stark contrast to AoM. Theres not even radio stations when you hop in cars in AoM, they all just have the same 3-4 stock music sounding instrumentals.

Its also a little baffling that for a game that has characters that can either climb walls or triple jump/airdash & has ocassional floating platform paths at higher levels of the city, theres no return of the platforming towers from SRIV.

Im still early in (unlocked Rama and did Fortune's special episode) and enjoying the core gameplay a lot but this game is lacking when it comes to details.

JohngPR

I've played for a few hours now and the game is a lot of fun. The action is very kinetic and I like that there are a lot of different characters with different powers/weapons. I also really dig the 2d animated cutscenes. Some the skins for your characters are fun as well.

It's a mix between Saint's Row, Crackdown, and 80's G.I. Joe cartoons.

The majority of my problems with the game so far has to do with the UI. There's no mini map, which I miss. When the action gets frantic, I catch myself looking for a minimap so I can see where enemies are at.

The other UI issue I have is that they make it to hard to see your cooldowns. There's seemingly no audio or visual indicators to let you know your dash is filled back up and the cooldown for your special ability is a number that counts down on your characters portrait on the bottom right. Problem with that is that the portrait is a little small so you have to look away from the action to get a good look. None of that stuff is a deal breaker to me though.

Is this a day one purchase? Hard to say, I don't regret my purchase and I'm having fun. If it stays that way, what more can you really ask for?

Top Bottom