• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of Mayhem |OT| Ain'ts Row

killroy87

Yeah it could definitely run better. I'm running a 1080, and it is definitely playable but isn't a stable 60 at high settings.

Otherwise I'm liking it a lot. The mobility and the shards all over the world are reeeeeally tapping into my collecting vibes.

Gonna wait for a sale. Game looks great, but with no coop it'll be a while until I get around to playing it anyways. Hope you guys are having fun though.

This is a lot better than I thought. The gameplay, characters, and humor are all great. The cut scenes are great too. If this game had co-op it would have been a blast. Performance issues are the only real problem I’m running into. It’s just a fun game.

killroy87

Oh, one thing; the fact that every character doesn't have the shotgun guys ability to leap up the side of a building is bullshit. It's a much more useful traversal ability than the air dash.

Bombless

Here's a tip : in combat, if you lose sight of enemies, just scan once and they will be highlighted. Helps me a lot in areas with trees/shrubs or when mobs are below/above me.

I agree about the lack of feedback to our characters' taking damage.

There's definitely some stuff missing too, like the city feeling not very lively, the music while driving being poor...People looking for an open world experience more akin to GTA will not like this game.

But the combat is top notch and once you raise the difficulty you start hurting and have to play to your agents' strenghts/combos and I loooove that. Got up to agency level 10 and opened up my first global missions. Along with the contracts and the tons of missions already available I won't be running out of stuff to do for a very long while.

Oh, one thing; the fact that every character doesn't have the shotgun guys ability to leap up the side of a building is bullshit. It's a much more useful traversal ability than the air dash.
Some of the other characters like Rama, Braddock, and the ninja woman have that ability.

Whoops accidentally played this pretty much all day.

My posts so far have been pretty negative, but I've had a really good time with the game since then. Unlocking new agents and upgrades/abilities for them really livens the whole thing up.

The story is nothing special, the writing isn't half as funny as any Saints Row at its most ho-hum, but I guess it doesn't hurt that I can roll with (super mild, not even a spoiler of you've followed this at all)
Pierce and Oleg
again.

I'm probably killing whatever post game fun I was going to have leveling up characters by hunting down crystal shards and chests right now. Went from having only the default car unlocked to all but four or five of them.

I've seen review scores span the gambit for this game. Some have been very positive, some have been very negative, and some have been right down the middle.

I doubt I'll get the game, but I'm curious now what sales will be like for it.

The various reflection settings seemed to be the biggest performance hogs. Turned those down to normal and I'm satisfied with how it runs for now.

FHIZ

The various reflection settings seemed to be the biggest performance hogs. Turned those down to normal and I'm satisfied with how it runs for now.

I think fire is up there too. In the intro section I was jumping near a pillar of fire and watching the frame counter on my monitor go down pretty consistently.

But yeah, either this game is pretty demanding (it looks nice at ultra, I'll give it that) or there could be some work. I've got a 1080ti and was getting lows in the 60s (outside of one big dip in the high 40s due to a bunch of explosions) during the intro, but mostly staying between high 70s-90s. So I figured maybe it was a little overblown... but the open world, yeah that's staying in the 60s consistently.

Lots of reflections, lots of effects, and some destructibility physics to boot. I'll tinker around a bit more.

Ok, played about 30 minutes or so. I really like the gameplay and visuals. I can tell both will only get better. I'm still going to wait to dig deep until they've ironed out some of the problems. That first mini boss throwing projectiles at me really dropped the FPS to about 45 or something. Unacceptable.

dreamfall

I'm having a blast, 2ish hours in. I haven't gotten to that repetitive combat loop pattern of the game yet, in another open world title. But I'm usually forgiving of these things - the combat is just as frenetic and crazy as I imagined, and the character personalities are a lot of fun. There's actually a fair bit of combat customization which is awesome, and I think mixing and trying different buffs between the three person squad is going to be a lot of fun.

The PC performance is all over the place - tried to mess with shadows, and God rays, even turning TXAA off but it's not stable. I'm enjoying myself though!

Drewfonse

Interesting ebb and flow in this thread. A lot of the negativity is being replaced by "this game is a blast" kind of posts. From people who are actually playing the game. And I like Game Informer, who gave this an 8.

ascully

Really enjoying it, I just noticed it has crackdown style orbs/shards all over the rooftops. There goes another few hours of today hunting them all down

dreamfall

Of note - the driving in this game is awful. I like the boost mechanic but these cars manage to feel heavy and slippery at the same time, like heavy blocks skating on ice. Thanks God for that triple jump, the traversal on foot is exhilarating !

killroy87

Interesting ebb and flow in this thread. A lot of the negativity is being replaced by "this game is a blast" kind of posts. From people who are actually playing the game. And I like Game Informer, who gave this an 8.

If nothing else, the game isn't fundamentally broken. What's there is sound, so it's mostly a matter of if that works for you or not. Me? I think it's pretty dope. There are things I'd change, and I think it might be better off as a $29-39 release, but mechanically I think this game is a lot of fun. The combat is good, and there is a good selection of surprisingly distinct characters. I'm consistently impressed at how each character brings something new to the table, and each have their own abilities. It's made the act of choosing my ideal three-Agent team actually more fun and addictive to experiment with than I anticipated.

That, plus the fact that there's actually a pretty addictive progression loop here. There is a lot of loot to find and collect, and a ton of collectibles in the environment, Crackdown-style.

It's a solid game to me. I'm not going to die on a hill defending it against the naysayers, but for whatever reason it just clicks with me.

Of note - the driving in this game is awful. I like the boost mechanic but these cars manage to feel heavy and slippery at the same time, like heavy blocks skating on ice. Thanks God for that triple jump, the traversal on foot is exhilarating !

I don't know. Different cars handle differently like any other game. The driving definitely leaves a bit to be desired, but I prefer the responsiveness here to the more "realistic" feel of the GTA games.

There's definitely some stuff missing too, like the city feeling not very lively

This actually isn't the first open-world game where this was an issue. But then sometimes you find areas that are really crowded. It's just disappointing when you run into the opposite and can't find more than a stray car or two.

Are the free Franchise Force skins not unlocking for anyone else? I downloaded them, selected load skins from the main menu, and even restarted the game but they're still not showing up.

Edit- I guess i did work but they're named something else in game, weird

How are the animated cutscenes? They look like fun. I know the story isn't Shakespeare, but does it draw you in?
They're fine. I'm two hours in and the story in general is solid. It's not as humorous as I expected, but honestly that might work in the game's favor. It's not non-stop quips like a Marvel movie or something, which would get exhausting. I feel they mostly aimed for smiles rather than laughs, if that makes much sense, and it was probably the better choice.

I'm liking the game quite a bit -- it gets especially fun when you unlock some of the new agents and bump up the difficulty a few notches -- but the performance definitely could be a lot better. I'm hovering around 60fps on high settings enough of the time that I'm reasonably happy, but it's extremely inconsistent and I worry the later, more crazy combat is going to tank performance completely. (Running i5-2500k and 970, for reference.)

Drewfonse

They're fine. I'm two hours in and the story in general is solid. It's not as humorous as I expected, but honestly that might work in the game's favor. It's not non-stop quips like a Marvel movie or something, which would get exhausting. I feel they mostly aimed for smiles rather than laughs, if that makes much sense, and it was probably the better choice.

I'm liking the game quite a bit -- it gets especially fun when you unlock some of the new agents and bump up the difficulty a few notches -- but the performance definitely could be a lot better. I'm hovering around 60fps on high settings enough of the time that I'm reasonably happy, but it's extremely inconsistent and I worry the later, more crazy combat is going to tank performance completely. (Running i5-2500k and 970, for reference.)

That sounds great, actually.

Pretty good. It's got a Saturday morning cartoon vibe but without the cheese aimed at kids obviously.

Nice.

There's no PC performance thread, is there? Well, on PC it doesn't look too bad. Quite nice with it's cartoony, strong colours. But performance is "meh" and there's a nasty bug that stopped any kind of control, k+m and controller.
With a 1080ti and a 7700k you can't get 4K and 60 fps without major sacrifices. Screen Space Reflections and Planar Reflections are two big hitters. The Shadow options including PCSS are severe too. In fact shadows are a hit regardless. TXAA doesn't hurt but doesn't do that much either. Even on 1440p it needs taking down a notch in places. You can't go without HBAO otherwise it looks too flat.
Some patching would be nice as it's hard to believe it's quite that demanding.
Oh. it has HDR but it doesn't work because W10 fucked it up. If anyone knows how to get it working with an nvidia card I'm all ears.

I know we've had some PS4 Pro impressions, but more info about Pro performance would be appreciated.

I'm probably a bad judge of these things, but on a scale from "any competent 30 fps game" to "Just Cause 3 on the base PS4," it's closer to the former, for sure.

Seems like there are minor drops when the action gets heavy or if you boost around in cars, but nothing that has made me feel like it's impacting playability.

hbkdx12

Yeti is such a beast. I usually don't like big slow tanky characters but his ice beam is so awesome. It has good range and it lasts a good while before it freezes over really letting you just go crazy.

So far im finding all the character to be pretty viable and find myself switching them out every so often to try to keep them around the same level.

The game is a ton of good fun and has a lot of great charm to it. It's biggest downfall is going to be that it'll forever be held up against the saints row series. It's not that and if you can ignore that, there's certainly fun to be had.

I'm really loving the customizations. Between gremlin tech and legion tech, there's a lot of cool ways to alter your character and playstyle

renzolama

I say this as someone who doesn't necessarily regret my purchase or hate what I'm playing, but I can't help but feel like this game is an answer to a question like "what if you combined the least interesting/successful aspects of Destiny, Battleborn, and Overwatch and shoved them into a single-player game with Saints Row assets." It feels like somebody wanted to chase every major multiplayer shooter trend of the past few years and then ultimately ran out of time and couldn't add the multiplayer part. I dunno, I can't put my finger on it, it's just a weird game that feels like it's trying to be too many things at once.

My posts so far have been pretty negative, but I've had a really good time with the game since then. Unlocking new agents and upgrades/abilities for them really livens the whole thing up.

The story is nothing special, the writing isn't half as funny as any Saints Row at its most ho-hum, but I guess it doesn't hurt that I can roll with (super mild, not even a spoiler of you've followed this at all)
Pierce and Oleg
again.

I'm probably killing whatever post game fun I was going to have leveling up characters by hunting down crystal shards and chests right now. Went from having only the default car unlocked to all but four or five of them.

Yeah, as I said in my review, it's a game that starts off real, real boring, but gets better as it opens up and you unlock more.

It's not amazing, but I enjoyed it and keep wanting to go back to it. Alas, more review games.

Also ran fine on my PC. i7, 16GB RAM, GTX 970, GSync.

I am going to try this out one day, and I like what this game is offering, however there is no way this game doesn't have an online only standalone down the pipeline; they want you to familiarize with the characters and soon there will be a vs/hero competitive mode/title to support this series.

Whew, long day. Installing the game now.

My take away from the reception is, despite it's flaws, it's still a fun game at it's core, which is good.

The more I play the more I like it. The characters and humor have started to grow on me. I can definitely see how it can become grindy and repetitive, but that doesn't bother me much. Visually, it's a real nice looking game, but they need to fix the performance issues. Seoul looks great, but it's pretty static for the most part and really hurts the game. To me, this game is like a cross between Saints Row and Crackdown. Personally, I don't think it's worth the full price. If it released with co-op, better UI, and a less static environment it would have been amazing. Currently, it's just an ok to good game depending on what you're looking for.

I'm digging the story, VERY early spoiler below (seriously like 2nd mission)

Rama's back story and her little back and forth with the Miss P in her first mission is fantastic. I already love that character so much and can't wait to see what happens with her more in the future

I've unlocked all the agents. Got two Lieutenant arcs done and now I'm gonna do everyone's personal mission before going forward with main missions.

Bombless

I have to say : while the original agents trio seemed to me like the most boring of the bunch before I played the game, now that I'm a few hours in and I've unlocked Rama, Gat and Braddock, Fortune is still in my team.

Her speed is just too damn good and her snare grenade making her even faster is a godsend. The pistols cooldown is unfortunate but I usually use that time for a melee attack. She's often my last agent standing thanks to her evation and her quick shield regen while on the move. Her mayhem generation seems pitiful though for some reason. I haven't actually used her mayhem even once so far (besides, her passive, core upgraded stun rate seems good enough already).

Rama's damage is insanely high but she feels way too fragile. The dot on uncharged arrows is still too weak to forgo charged shots and the lack of dodge hurts as well. And speaking of that, I wish there was a visible cooldown indicator for Dodge/Cloak. Her trap ability is great (and can be triggered by anything, even civilians) but I haven't really tested her mayhem yet. A single poisoned arrow seems too little but I guess it's more of a boss killer ability.

Gat...is goddamn amazing. His shotgun has good range (but no splash damage), his special reloads very quickly (I currently use the immobilise version) and his mayhem is hilarious (and should become godly with the rate of fire core upgrade). Also good god, he's almost as big as Hardtack! He remains kinda squishy though, even with the emergency fortitude triggering at very low health (investing in that talent seems mandatory for him) but I still prefer him to the big bearded motherfucker due to his mayhem and his shotgun having the longer reach.

I just recruited Braddock so I can't really comment on her yet. I dislike the burstfire weapon (because clicking is hard!) but her special ability definitely wrecks shit.

All in all I'm loving this so far. Can't wait to dive further into the game tomorrow.

ascully

I'm digging the story, VERY early spoiler below (seriously like 2nd mission)

Rama's back story and her little back and forth with the Miss P in her first mission is fantastic. I already love that character so much and can't wait to see what happens with her more in the future

I really liked that as well, it's kinda like what Overwatch wishes it was story wise. Also like the Uranus jokes that Rama spits out a few times in the next mission.

Hey guys, there will be a give away for Sonic Mania and a 10 dollar gift card (separate recipients) for two of my subscribers at the end of my livestream on YouTube. My channel is GameStreamMachine. I will be streaming in about 10 minutes. I will be streaming Agents of Mayhem. I know its weird that I am streaming Agents of Mayhem and giving away Sonic but I don't really feel like sonic is a game that is good for streaming. I think you have to play it yourself to appreciate it.

Just come by, subscribe, and make at least one comment. I will pick two users near the end from the people who commented and subscribed.

Yeah, as I said in my review, it's a game that starts off real, real boring, but gets better as it opens up and you unlock more.

It's not amazing, but I enjoyed it and keep wanting to go back to it. Alas, more review games.

Also ran fine on my PC. i7, 16GB RAM, GTX 970, GSync.

Yeah, I'm kinda worried now my earlier posts might have made some folks shy away from the game. With several more agents unlocked, digging into the story a bit more, and figuring some things out (how to find lairs, how to actually scale those super tall buildings the "right way), and cranking the difficulty just a touch, I'm having much, much more fun with the game that at first.

It's a rough start and kinda bad first impression, but the game seems like it does come into its own pretty nicely. Glad I've picked it up now before the deluge in the coming weeks/months.

Top Bottom