• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon PC DD: Dark Souls - Prepare to Die will be $20 starting Sunday (10/28)

evilhomer

Sweet been looking to get this, great deal.

Gotten some great deals with the Square pack, Sleeping Dogs and now this...Love having a new PC :D

Type2

Oh my god, I've had the most frustrating experience ever getting this game to run. The blame mostly falls on Microsoft for switching their email experience so often. I havent owned a 360 since 2008 and could not log into my live account. Then I had to create both a new email with M$ as well as a new live account. Of course after all that I applied Durantes wonderful mod as well as the text mod(hopefully correctly) and now im sitting in the character creation menu unable to pick anything. I consider myself fortunate that I've never dealt with games for windows live before this experience.

Binabik15

Can you get this game gifted/the code sent to you from someone in the US?

If yes, does somebody want to hook me up? I have Paypal, which should work, but my CC doesn't work right now.

I'd make sure PP works by sending a buck or two first, if it works, you'll get the rest, if not, you can keep it, not buy me the game and buy yourself ice cream or something with it. Would have to be tomorrow evening, though, I have to sleep now and long classes.

Zoc

There should be a PSA or something in the OP that the code won't activate in all regions without a VPN.

vidcons

Banned
I finally have this running acceptably. Full screen, beautiful visuals, and the controls are not too shabby. Buy this game.

Networking seems a bit better than consoles but That Might Just Be My Mind.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my, yes. Time to replay this video. game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The question is, do I commit fraud and buy this from Canada.

it's actively encouraged! Just add a US billing address to your existing account (any address will do, maybe choose a non-residential one) and you're good to go.

tokkun

(lol)

When people gank you remember to indict them so we can track them down :p

Here is a little secret from someone who spent a lot of time invading other players:

Darkwraiths really want you to indict them. The Darkwraith leaderboard is based on number of times indicted (at least it was on PS3. I'm assuming the PC version has the same leaderboards). So if you're mad about getting ganked, you are more likely to annoy them by not indicting.

tokkun

Darkwraiths don't gank... darkwraiths GET ganked by hosts with white phantoms.

Fighting 1-against-3 was more fun than 1-on-1. The only two complaints I had as a darkwraith were 'reverse darkwraiths' who would camp with uber-leveled characters waiting to be invaded and people who would disconnect rather than fight.

Zoc

It won't? Which regions are affected?

Japan, for one. I just got an error message when I tried to activate it. Everything seems to have gone smoothly after using a VPN, though (not banned yet).

It's funny, because other games also developed in Japan and unavailable on the Japanese Steam store activated just fine with Amazon codes, like Binary Domain. That means Namco specifically asked Steam to block it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I did want to give From credit for one thing; they actually managed to pull off a 30 fps limit properly

We know it's not optimal for PC games but there are times when limiting to 30 fps can be a good option if you wish to push graphical detail instead. There are some games, like Dark Souls, which shipped with a framerate limiter in place as well.

The thing is, none of these games ever manage to pull this off properly. When 30 fps is used you wind up with judder and skipping that looks much worse than 30 fps actually should. MSI Afterburner was capable of correcting this for some games but I have never encountered a PC game which was able to limit itself to 30 fps without introducing these issues.

Dark Souls is the first game I've seen capable of pulling this off. When using the 30 fps lock even without DSFix, you get a perfectly even, totally consistent 30 fps. Video playback is good too.

I dunno why, but I found this interesting.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Ehhh I cant find motionjoy 32bits and the one I find its the old ones which are not working with my Ps3 controller... T_T

Prezhulio

quick question (though i'm afraid i know the answer) :

there's no way to jerry-rig a ps3 save into the pc version, is there? or is there a trainer where i could build a character to what progress i have on my ps3? (30ish hours) very tempted to buy this, but don't really want to redo that time :/

Durante

I did want to give From credit for one thing; they actually managed to pull off a 30 fps limit properly
I don't really agree. IMHO, a "proper" limit would be what happens when you unlock FPS with DSfix but set the limit to 30. That is, it's 30 until it can no longer be, and when it drops it drops to 29. With From's implementation, it drops to 15 (if you're unlucky and the drop is CPU related that will cause your GPU to go to a low power state and you might not get back up to 30 for longer than you should).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I read that this sale has been successful to Amazon so far from our favorite guy

"Can't believe it hasn't hit the frontpage yet, given how successful it has been for us so far."

cicero

Since the main Amazon thread is locked now and this seems to be the last place available to mention stuff like this...

When do your halloween deals start? Or is TWD it?

Nope we'll have others, they'll definitely start 10/31, still working on the end date for some of them.

Cheers,
Tony

So more deals coming wednesday!

def sim

So, this game was made easier, right? This is my first time playing with the latest patch and it feels a lot more accessible.

I don't really agree. IMHO, a "proper" limit would be what happens when you unlock FPS with DSfix but set the limit to 30. That is, it's 30 until it can no longer be, and when it drops it drops to 29. With From's implementation, it drops to 15 (if you're unlucky and the drop is CPU related that will cause your GPU to go to a low power state and you might not get back up to 30 for longer than you should).

This. Under any circumstance, unlock the fps. If your PC can't manage 60, at least lock it at 30. Don't let the game handle it, or it will drop hard when it drops. Shame on From, all hail Durante!

Durante

This. Under any circumstance, unlock the fps. If your PC can't manage 60, at least lock it at 30. Don't let the game handle it, or it will drop hard when it drops. Shame on From, all hail Durante!
Actually, for this one in particular, all hail Nwks. He figured out the FPS limit.

Darkrider

At 60 fps Dark Souls is a different game, I mean I REALLY enjoyed it on the PS3 but playing on my PC with the setting cranked is a welcome change.

Next gen consoles can't get here soon enough... I was surprised at how big of a difference there was.

Salsa

At 60 fps Dark Souls is a different game, I mean I REALLY enjoyed it on the PS3 but playing on my PC with the setting cranked is a welcome change.

Next gen consoles can't get here soon enough... I was surprised at how big of a difference there was.

doesnt it screw up the jump animations and some of the timing stuff?

ive been sticking with 30fps because ive heard stuff like that

I never played the PS3 version so I can't say, but some people claim they can still do the jump, others say the can't.

Personally I think they just don't realize the game has more types of speeds depending on weight then Demon Souls did.

Darkrider

I did the first jump from the rooftop in the Undead Berg with no problem, I'd give it a shot. It's easy enough to enable/disable.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
In regards to this game's difficulty, if Frodo faced this kind of challenge, Lord of the Rings would have been a depressing 5 page children's book.

I never played the PS3 version so I can't say, but some people claim they can still do the jump, others say the can't.

Personally I think they just don't realize the game has more types of speeds depending on weight then Demon Souls did.

The 60FPS tweak has been known to cause the player to go fall through the world if you slide down ladders. The game's simulation obviously has glitches with framerates over 30, so a mild beware I guess.

In regards to this game's difficulty, if Frodo faced this kind of challenge, Lord of the Rings would have been a depressing 5 page children's book.

Ahahhaahhahahaha, ohhhh that's hilarious.

Yes it can be hard, at first, but once you kinda get in the groove/find your mode/feel it out/whatever, it clicks. Once you put enough practise in, it starts to turn around. It's a game that the player really has to learn, and adapt to.

If any new players are feeling discouraged, just keep at it, that victory is what makes it all worth it. You will feel like a boss when you overcome the obstacles.

Durante

It minorly decreases jump distance. It only really matters for 2 jumps in the game (and for those there is now a toggle key that you can use to temporarily enable a 30 FPS limit while playing). The other issue is that you shouldn't slide down ladders. I think both of those are easily worth it though.

The biggest drawback of 60 FPS is that you have to sacrifice quite a bit of IQ to maintain it, and that once you get used to playing with it for a few hours going back to 30 seems terrible.

Top Bottom