• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon PC DD: Dark Souls - Prepare to Die will be $20 starting Sunday (10/28)

Toki767

I have 1 day to make up my mind whether I want it or not. I feel like spending $20 just to potentially suck at this game may not be worth it.

I have 1 day to make up my mind whether I want it or not. I feel like spending $20 just to potentially suck at this game may not be worth it.

The game will again be on sale in 45 days or so (and a few times next year), so you can just make up your mind later.

Personally I've bought the game twice at full-price, and still haven't finished it. Not because I can't (I was a Demon's veteran), but because I've been immensely busy for the past couple of months. Still, even though I am a bit of a "cheapskate" (I tend to think whether my purchases were worth it, and that's why I've stopped buying anything full-price), I have not regretted it.

rybrad

I picked this up on PC on release and it was my first Souls game. The difficulty was vastly overrated, especially if you play other games on the highest difficulty. Paying attention and patience are all it takes to finish Dark Souls.

Grief.exe

I picked this up on PC on release and it was my first Souls game. The difficulty was vastly overrated, especially if you play other games on the highest difficulty. Paying attention and patience are all it takes to finish Dark Souls.

I was going to mention this as well.

Dark Souls is difficult, but there are ways of changing the difficulty to be more in your favor.

If you are having trouble.

Upgrade your weapon and armor
Level up a bit, HP and Stamina will allow you to take more hits.
Summon people or NPCs for fights.
Check out some boss guides, its recommended you go in blind, but if you are getting frustrated check out a video online.

Once the game mechanics click, it becomes a truly amazing experience, worth it at any price point.

lordmrw

Finally bought the game but can't really play it at an acceptable frame rate and resolution at the moment. This slimline PC has a low wattage power supply forcing me to take my video card out. Dark Souls will have to wait til I find a nice desktop PC at some point during Black Friday, which suuuuuuucks as I've been wanting to dive in to this for so long.

The difficulty of these games has been overrated since Demons Souls first came out. They're not hard, they just present challenges that most gamers today cannot meet (patience, planning and repeated failure) thanks to how regnerative life, cover systems and overzealous checkpoints have conditioned them to never suck at a game.

Grief.exe

The difficulty of these games has been overrated since Demons Souls first came out. They're not hard, they just present challenges that most gamers today cannot meet (patience, planning and repeated failure) thanks to how regnerative life, cover systems and overzealous checkpoints have conditioned them to never suck at a game.

I would agree with this.

They have been making games directed at the lowest common denominator for so long that players have been conditioned to not need rational thought in order to complete games.

Kind of sad.

3phemeral

God damn, I can't even run this game on the lowest res settings with absolutely no aa on my laptop, but yet, I can run skyrim on medium quality settings just fine.
LLShC.gif

Cyrano

God damn, I can't even run this game on the lowest res settings with absolutely no aa on my laptop, but yet, I can run skyrim on medium quality settings just fine.
LLShC.gif
It's a very processor intensive game and unfortunately isn't well optimized (read: not optimized for GPUs at all). There are mods that can force it to do some of this however and improve performance significantly for those with decent GPUs.

Regardless, this is the best RPG released since at least The Witcher 2, and in my opinion probably farther back than that.

3phemeral

It's a very processor intensive game and unfortunately isn't well optimized (read: not optimized for GPUs at all). There are mods that can force it to do some of this however and improve performance significantly for those with decent GPUs.

Regardless, this is the best RPG released since at least The Witcher 2, and in my opinion probably farther back than that.

When I get home, I'll try and find some of these mods. I know the it'll be fun, but I just want to get it to be playable since it currently plays at a sub 12 fps.
KuGsj.gif

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Looks like it's still alive today, so I guess today is the real last day. Tomorrow should be LEGO Batman2/Harry Potter bundle

Top Bottom