• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

KtSlime

Like what? Massive clock and weather widgets? Want them to ape metro, just because? It's ultra intuitive and works. Seriously, what kind of change would you like, and what's bad about it? Whatever change they make will need to be reflected on iPhones and iPods, because the overarching theme is consistency of experience and interface. I've heard alot of bitching about the iOS launcher, not a single real, well thought out suggestion of what it should be improved. Also, do you spend your time staring at your home screen? 98% of the time I'm using an iPad, I'm inside an app.

Yeah, I don't understand it either, my use of the springboard/homescreen is transient, I leave an app generally knowing where I want to go to next, navigate to it, and launch the next app. Are there just so few apps for other platforms that they spend all their time on the home screen? It makes little sense to me the complaints about the springboard.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Ordered my new iPad. It let me do in store pickup.

Wait im confused. Whats the deal with in store pickup? Do I still have to wait in line with everyone else? Maybe this was a bad idea...

Jasoco

Banned
5x5 would be better than 4x5.

However, Apple is the company whose multitasking screen looks like this:
OP2gO.jpg

Some fanboys may misguidedly defend attaching only 20% of the screen to the very vital Home double-tap as being minimalist and unconfusing. However, Apple blocks the whole screen for Notification Center, so that is out the window. Both systems are kind of kludgy compared to webOS, so obviously there is room for improvement.

I want universal Bluetooth, brightness, and radio settings. Dammit.
I would want 5x6 on my iPad home screen. I think 4x4 is enough for the iPhone IMHO.

As for the App Switcher screen, I personally think they should move the controls from the "left swipe" section of that bar onto the top of that screen. Have them slide down and always be visible so I can double-press and immediately press Next for the next song like I can when it's asleep. It's really STUPID that they hide it off to the left down there when it could easily be put up at the top of that unused space and still not become cluttered and confusing. They could also put notifications in the middle and it'd be fine. Make that screen all-purpose but do it in an Apple way. At least as an OPTION for goodness sakes.

Side note: I have an Android phone (2.1) and I find myself pressing Home twice and being really angry when it doesn't bring up a screen where I can close programs. But that's my problem for not getting an iPhone yet.

GhaleonEB

So, the price drop on the iPad 2, combined with the additional $50 difference for picking up a refurbished model from Apple, means the version I had initially dismissed as too expensive (16 GB 3G) is now $150 cheaper. Might be picking one up for my sabbatical in the next month or so.

First Apple product ever.

Jacobi

Banned
I think it's pretty crazy that I'm surfing the web on an Full HD 21,5" iMac right now and will soon surf the internet with a better resoluted, but 10 inches smaller display....

I really wonder what other technical marvels I'll see in my life...

Jasoco

Banned
I think it's pretty crazy that I'm surfing the web on an Full HD 21,5" iMac right now and will soon surf the internet with a better resoluted, but 10 inches smaller display....

Nature finds a way. It's Chaos Theory.

Apple is selling a tablet with an amazing screen, large amount of ram and HD space, fast cpu, camera etc etc for 499.99. Meanwhile Wacom is charging 1,000 for this

23-100-048-02.jpg
which has a horrible screen and a million cables.

and 2,000 for a 21 inch monitor with horrible resolution. God i wish Apple make something that a proffesional artist can use without having to fucking finger paint.

I certainly wouldn't say it's a stupid gripe like Pachterballs did, but it's certainly a misdirected one.

It seems like the company you should be legitimately peeved with is Wacom, who does make a specific product in this very specific category and does service this specialty market, rather than Apple, who doesn't make this product and only services this market rather indirectly, as they are much more broad in their customer focus.

It's not Apple's problem that Wacom overprices their product and under-delivers in terms of its product design. And it's not really legit to complain that Apple doesn't dip their toes into certain professional markets just because you really wish they would. I wish Apple would invest a few billion and all their great design and software expertise on making a high-end, professional digital and still camera that would revolutionize the industry in ease of use and cost and customer service, and shoot in ProRes natively. But I'm not going to complain that they don't.

Circle T

It is pretty amazing how things like that progress. My Galaxy Note's 5.3" screen has the same resolution as my old 13.3" Al-MacBook (1280x800). I would love a super high-res screen in my Air.

Jasoco

Banned
When'd they gimp the CPU? When they went to AppleTV 2 or just yesterday? I think an app store in the same way the Roku has would be a smart move for Apple. Especially if it has a Plex channel that can access a Plex server across the internet like the iOS app. Without needing to Jailbreak it.

Utako

Banned
I wonder if websites will look like garbage now. Certainly, none of their graphic assets will accomodate this high of a resolution (holy bandwidth, Batman!), even while not zoomed in.

It's a testament to using vector assets and real type (as opposed to graphic text).

When'd they gimp the CPU? When they went to AppleTV 2 or just yesterday? I think an app store in the same way the Roku has would be a smart move for Apple. Especially if it has a Plex channel that can access a Plex server across the internet like the iOS app. Without needing to Jailbreak it.

Just yesterday I mean. Yesterday they announce a new AppleTV but when you look at the specs at the CPU they put in there, it seems purposely held back for the sake of cost and that limitation makes me feel like they don't see doing apps on the device as an open platform at some point. It seems just enough to get the job done that it was intended for.

Vyer

So, the price drop on the iPad 2, combined with the additional $50 difference for picking up a refurbished model from Apple, means the version I had initially dismissed as too expensive (16 GB 3G) is now $150 cheaper. Might be picking one up for my sabbatical in the next month or so.

First Apple product ever.

If you have a Microcenter near you I think they are also doing an additional $50 off, but on new ones.

KtSlime

I have to think since they gimped on the CPU, that it's less likely to happen.

I think it is possible that they believe that channel apps with light interactive features are the best sort of app for a TV. They can still create a Channel AppStore for the ATV without going all out and including gaming - which is what would be the kind of apps that are most CPU intensive. TV seems to be a very passive form of entertainment.

It could also be possible that if they ARE thinking about entering the TV market they don't want the ATV2 or 3 to be a competitor to it, and they could put an A6 in it. This has its advantages as well much like they use the iPad to introduce a chip before shrinking it for the phone they could do even more stages to improve yield and reduce price TV->iPad->iPhone->iPod. I don't know if they would do this, or even the likelihood that they would, but I do imagine it is one of the things that they think or thought about doing.

I think it is possible that they believe that channel apps with light interactive features are the best sort of app for a TV. They can still create a Channel AppStore for the ATV without going all out and including gaming - which is what would be the kind of apps that are most CPU intensive. TV seems to be a very passive form of entertainment.

It could also be possible that if they ARE thinking about entering the TV market they don't want the ATV2 or 3 to be a competitor to it, and they could put an A6 in it. This has its advantages as well much like they use the iPad to introduce a chip before shrinking it for the phone they could do even more stages to improve yield and reduce price TV->iPad->iPhone->iPod. I don't know if they would do this, or even the likelihood that they would, but I do imagine it is one of the things that they think or thought about doing.

Not saying that it can't happen, but it seems odd to me that they just wouldn't put the same dual core A5 that is in the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2. You figure it's gotta be dirt cheap to use the same processor and then it would be in line with that hardware so it would be easy to target across platforms for performance. I think the fact that they just added a single core A5 to make sure it can handle 1080p content is a sign that they don't plan to take the platform too seriously for apps. Maybe a revision 4 or something that gets released at the same time as the rumored full tv set, but I don't think we're going to see it in revision 3 now because of the choice in their CPU.

I think it's more likely that the chip in the AppleTV is the same chip that is used in the iPad, just with one of the cores disabled.

When you fab chips, you're never going to have 100% yield. This gives them something to do with the new iPad chips that work fine except for one thing in one of the CPU cores.

So they are able to use a better chip in the AppleTV, and still keep it at $99, because they're basically just using the best of the castoff chips from the tens of millions of new iPads they are producing. .

Like what? Massive clock and weather widgets? Want them to ape metro, just because? It's ultra intuitive and works. Seriously, what kind of change would you like, and what's bad about it? Whatever change they make will need to be reflected on iPhones and iPods, because the overarching theme is consistency of experience and interface. I've heard alot of bitching about the iOS launcher, not a single real, well thought out suggestion of what it should be improved. Also, do you spend your time staring at your home screen? 98% of the time I'm using an iPad, I'm inside an app.

I'd actually like to see the Clock and Weather *apps* make it over to the iPad, and I'm disappointed that that didn't happen with iOS 5.1. Also disappointed in the lack of Siri on the iPad 3; hopefully that'll happen this summer with iOS 6 when the service comes out of beta.

Talon

Not saying that it can't happen, but it seems odd to me that they just wouldn't put the same dual core A5 that is in the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2. You figure it's gotta be dirt cheap to use the same processor and then it would be in line with that hardware so it would be easy to target across platforms for performance. I think the fact that they just added a single core A5 to make sure it can handle 1080p content is a sign that they don't plan to take the platform too seriously for apps. Maybe a revision 4 or something that gets released at the same time as the rumored full tv set, but I don't think we're going to see it in revision 3 now because of the choice in their CPU.
ATV sells for $99. Apple's selling each iPhone 4S for at least $600 to carriers, and the iPad 2 starts at $399.

With the lack of volume sales on the ATV, I think they're pleased making a profit on each without worrying about pushing the tech. Got to imagine they're saving that for the big TV as they continue to work on content deals.

KtSlime

Single core A5X's could be the cheapest thing they have, if one core is bad they would be unusable for the iPad (3rd gen) or any other device they have and they would just toss it. However, they could switch the ATV to use these useless trash processors, and then save the A4s for the production of more cheap iPhone 4, which they will likely keep around for the next ~18 months and need to keep producing anyway.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
um, what a stupid post. the wacom tablet is pressure sensitive and an artist tool

I know that I use one everyday. My point is that Wacom has no competition and gouge the shit out of their customers.

Wacom can do whatever they want of course, I'm just trying to point how awesome it would be if Apple included pressure sensitivity on a ipad.

Apple is Apple. Even with $100B in the bank, still stingy as fuck.

Either way, I;m assuming the A5 will handle anything thrown at it from a video perspective, which for me would be important for a potential jailbroken ATV with XBMC.

giga

An A5, dual core or not, is still pretty capable with the SGX543MP2. 10 foot UI apps, if and when an SDK for it comes out, don't really need the fastest chips.

Apple TV apps are all like this:

netflix_screen.jpg

steve@me.com :(

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
bamboo or intous.

the cintique is the high end model and there's a reason for the premium.

and the tablet is not pressue sensitive

I have a cintiq 21ux, there's no reason they should still be charging 2,000 for it. The screen is horrible for what you pay for. Its a 200 dollar monitor at best!

Anyway I'm way off topic :D Just an artist venting and dreaming of what could be.

Back on topic!

I'm starting to regret not buying the 32 gig version instead of the 16 :/

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have a cintiq 21ux, there's no reason they should still be charging 2,000 for it. The screen is horrible for what you pay for. Its a 200 dollar monitor at best!

Anyway I'm way off topic :D Just an artist venting and dreaming of what could be.

Back on topic!

I'm starting to regret not buying the 32 gig version instead of the 16 :/

When i had a 32 GB iPad 1 i was always using more than 16 GB. Assuming that assets are going to be bigger now that we have a higher res screen, I would be weary about going the 16 GB route.

Apple is Apple. Even with $100B in the bank, still stingy as fuck.

Either way, I;m assuming the A5 will handle anything thrown at it from a video perspective, which for me would be important for a potential jailbroken ATV with XBMC.

Apparently it's not powerful enough to handle Blu Ray rips unfortunately. So there is still a limitation from a video perspective.

ATV sells for $99. Apple's selling each iPhone 4S for at least $600 to carriers, and the iPad 2 starts at $399.

With the lack of volume sales on the ATV, I think they're pleased making a profit on each without worrying about pushing the tech. Got to imagine they're saving that for the big TV as they continue to work on content deals.

It didn't stop Apple from using the A4 in the 2nd revision which was the same CPU as the iPad and iPhone 4. I can't imagine that the way Apple works that the numbers would be so far off for them not to be able to do it now. Certainly their margins are bigger going the route they did, but it's not like they didn't use the same CPU before.

Mr. Tone

Apparently it's not powerful enough to handle Blu Ray rips unfortunately. So there is still a limitation from a video perspective.

According to the Apple site, it can decode High@4.1 H.264, which is the Blu-ray standard. Where did you hear it's not powerful enough?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

Oh really? Bleh. That's kinda shitty.

I guess the $35 Pi is the better option at this point in time. Although i'm not too sure if it supports 4.1.

Majine

Banned
Okay, that didn't help so now I have no idea.

If someone would be a hero, could you download the iPad 2 Wi-Fi IPSW and host it somewhere please? T_T

HoTHiTTeR

My order has shipped ... yay
is there a chance for it to arrive before the 16th :(
apparently not ......

Unless Apple is having UPS/Fedex hold these orders in the warehouse until Tuesday or Wednesday, idk how they're planning on guaranteeing a delivery date - only their 2-3 day services offer such service.

Raistlin

Ah, stupid me. High@4.0 then. That's pretty uncommon.

A reasonably compressed Blu-ray rip should easily fit under the 25Mbit limit, though.

That defeats the point though. What people were hoping for was to play remuxed MKVs via XBMC. We don't want to transcode.

Besides the profile though, this (and iPad) do not support the necessary bitrates ... and there's no indication whether it can bit stream high res audio over HDMI (though that may just be unadvertised).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom