• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

cackhyena

No, it's perfectly legitimate point. Wacom has had a monopoly on such devices for years, and they charge far too much for their products because they have absolutely no competition.

Apple could have made the iPad a more direct competitor to certain Wacom products, but their aversion to styluses is making it a slow process. But as the iPad becomes more and more capable, with more support from the likes of Autodesk, it inevitably becomes a Wacom competitor whether Apple want it to happen or not.

The 'new iPad' has a much more artist/designer-friendly screen than any 'pro' Wacom product, and is at least half the price. This is a big deal. Pressure sensitive styluses are already in development... Wacom should be very concerned.

My Wacom 4 can do pressure sensitivity on a a scale that makes Apple say " why would I need to implement that?" It's for artists, period. Like Photoshop and Painter, it's expensive because no one comes close to matching what it does. Apple has an all arounder, if they dip their toes in the territory directly competing with Wacom, it's a costlier device you have on your hands all of a sudden. Not saying it wouldn't be nice, but I don't think Wacom has anything to worry about atm.

Tobor

Any case that goes around the back of the ipad will likely not fit, unless they were very loose cases.

The Timbuk2 sleeves will definitely fit. Any neoprene iPad sleeve should fit.

I have a Waterfield and Tom Bihn sleeve, and both have more than enough room.

bgbball31

I ended up going with the 64GB White Verizon 4G. This is my first iPad, so I don't know how much space I will end up using, so I figure if I don't use all of that space, I can sell this one at the beginning of next year and probably get enough back to cover almost all of the cost of a 32GB one.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Yep. Frankly a little surprised that launch supplies have lasted this long - looks like Apple was a lot more prepared after the iPad 2 shortage fiasco last year.

...or the demand is DEAD! @#&%!

I ended up going with the 64GB White Verizon 4G. This is my first iPad, so I don't know how much space I will end up using, so I figure if I don't use all of that space, I can sell this one at the beginning of next year and probably get enough back to cover almost all of the cost of a 32GB one.
Good plan. Verizon models are typically harder to sell than AT&T models because CMDA vs. GSM...but the LTE models may be a different story all together. Verizon's LTE network is the more common standard (shared by Sprint, I believe?) and is certainly the better of the two from what I've read.

hwalker84

qyVBA.jpg

Never forget.

LMAO WTF

I think his point is that there's no reason for Wacom to charge as much as they do.

Someone doesn't understand how business work.... when you sell something at a much lower volume, you need a higher margin to make up for the reduced sales. The market that they sell it is way smaller than the average joe.

STG!

Got a phone call from my stepfather about an hour ago asking about which options he should pick for his pre-order, and after I got off the phone with him I thought about it over lunch and just put a pre-order in for myself, lol. Can't wait!

Got a black Wi-Fi/4G model (64 GB) with the red magnetic Smart Cover, to match my ride.

Yep. Frankly a little surprised that launch supplies have lasted this long - looks like Apple was a lot more prepared after the iPad 2 shortage fiasco last year.

That's why I was pounding the preorder button yesterday. I was scared they'd run out of preorder supplies by the first 30 minutes like last time. Looks like they were well prepared this time!

RubxQub

I see pixels on the iPhoto icon on the edges! WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT!

Dragon

Banned
That home screen is going to look even more ridiculous on that big resolution. Do something to change that shit apple and I'll think about buying the iPad.

That home screen is going to look even more ridiculous on that big resolution. Do something to change that shit apple and I'll think about buying the iPad.

Like what? Massive clock and weather widgets? Want them to ape metro, just because? It's ultra intuitive and works. Seriously, what kind of change would you like, and what's bad about it? Whatever change they make will need to be reflected on iPhones and iPods, because the overarching theme is consistency of experience and interface. I've heard alot of bitching about the iOS launcher, not a single real, well thought out suggestion of what it should be improved. Also, do you spend your time staring at your home screen? 98% of the time I'm using an iPad, I'm inside an app.

It's the exact same except clearer.. how that makes it more ridiculous is beyond me

The home screen is fine, it would look cluttered if they added more icons.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Like what? Massive clock and weather widgets? Want them to ape metro, just because? It's ultra intuitive and works. Seriously, what kind of change would you like, and what's bad about it? Whatever change they make will need to be reflected on iPhones and iPods, because the overarching theme is consistency of experience and interface. I've heard alot of bitching about the iOS launcher, not a single real, well thought out suggestion of what it should be improved. Also, do you spend your time staring at your home screen? 98% of the time I'm using an iPad, I'm inside an app.

I'd like some widgets. I have most of my apps in folders, I can give up half of my first screen for eg an inbox preview/calendar etc.

I'll apologise for this in advance, but almost like Android does it - each app can have a widget associated with it. I like that part of android.

RubxQub

Hey RubDub, how soon do new ipads get jailbroken?

It'll take a bit more than likely. I'd peg it to be anywhere from 2 weeks to a month to get a tethered break and up to 2-3 months to get an untethered.

Seems to be taking longer and longer these days.

5.1 has a tethered break solution already, though...but that's on existing hardware.

It's clearly the iPad 2. If you can't tell... maybe save your money...

Or maybe you're just being fooled by the massive depth of field going on... I dunno. I small area that is in focus is not retina quality.

So why are they showing it so close up if it's an iPad 2 in the "New iPad" article? Hmm maybe it is..

kehs

Banned
It'll take a bit more than likely. I'd peg it to be anywhere from 2 weeks to a month to get a tethered break and up to 2-3 months to get an untethered.

Seems to be taking longer and longer these days.

5.1 has a tethered break solution already, though...but that's on existing hardware.

Tethered break? (take it easy on me)

Utako

Banned
5x5 would be better than 4x5.

However, Apple is the company whose multitasking screen looks like this:
OP2gO.jpg

Some fanboys may misguidedly defend attaching only 20% of the screen to the very vital Home double-tap as being minimalist and unconfusing. However, Apple blocks the whole screen for Notification Center, so that is out the window. Both systems are kind of kludgy compared to webOS, so obviously there is room for improvement.

I want universal Bluetooth, brightness, and radio settings. Dammit.

So why are they showing it so close up if it's an iPad 2 in the "New iPad" article? Hmm maybe it is..
I just looked it up on The Verge... it appears to be associated with an article about iPhoto. So presumably that launched and is available for a few iOS devices, and they chose to take a close up shot of the icon on an iPad 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom