• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned

kinggroin

Banned
iOS does not need a major overhaul yet. That's the consensus amongst consumers with money.
I think you'd be surprised how little consumers with money actually need from their phone OS. Thank God there's competition, or the techies would be bored as hell (or be stuck using windows mobile 6 phones).

5WvXIl.png
Can someone explain the connections here? Why are there five connections relating to the panel? Two for the 'digitizer'... two for the 'LCD'... one for the... 'display'... wat.

So I'm clutching at straws, but it seems like there's one too many connections there. So obviously one is for haptic tech right? ;)
Anyone?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I want to get 3G and ditch my phone plan. I rarely use it for phone or even data nowadays.

I'd need a 64gb iPad though since my current iPad is near 40gb used.
I've nothing to add, just thinking as I type.
Really want to see the new screen in person.

e_i

Question:

My iPad broke, but I backed up all my apps and games to my computer...does the backup also backup saved games and continue where I left off on a new iPad?

Tobor

I think you'd be surprised how little consumers with money actually need from their phone OS. Thank God there's competition, or the techies would be bored as hell (or be stuck using windows mobile 6 phones).

Windows Mobile 6 was completely unsuited to the mass market. No way would that clunker have ever pulled iPhone sales numbers.

Question:

My iPad broke, but I backed up all my apps and games to my computer...does the backup also backup saved games and continue where I left off on a new iPad?

if it's a proper backup file then yes, if it's just an app transfer to your computer then no.

How much would doubling screen resolution affect battery life?

thanks kinggroin

Considering a spec bump in the gpu to accommodate, none.
No, it will affect battery life. The resolution itself won't, but the fact that a higher-res screen needs a more powerful backlighting solution and that the new GPU will be working harder means that it'll have more power draw than the iPad 2's display, though not *significantly* more.

However, the die shrink on the A5X chip and the fact that the iPad 3 is slightly thicker than the iPad 2 in order to accommodate a larger battery means that it'll likely all even out in the end and that Apple is specifically targeting rough parity with the iPad 2's battery life.

LCfiner

No, it will affect battery life. The resolution itself won't, but the fact that a higher-res screen needs a more powerful backlighting solution and that the new GPU will be working harder means that it'll have more power draw than the iPad 2's display, though not *significantly* more.

However, the die shrink on the A5X chip and the fact that the iPad 3 is slightly thicker than the iPad 2 in order to accommodate a larger battery means that it'll likely all even out in the end and that Apple is specifically targeting rough parity with the iPad 2's battery life.

absolutely. I just want to add that the case leaks and the PCB leak show that Apple has reserved more width in the iPad 3 for the battery. so it’ll likely be a larger battery that will result in similar usage times as the current setup.

(it may also be a heavier ipad, as well. unless they reduce the thickness of the glass or aluminum back)

...did I miss something re: the title? haha

Dreams-Visions had an inspired brand comparison a few pages back.

AndTAR

Second that weight issue. It'll probably be just a maginal weight increase, but I'm still a bit worried though, as the "comfort" of holding an iPad 2 was in my experience largely due to the reduced weight, rather than the shape. (Never really understood those sharp edges, liked the first-gen shape much better. iPad 2 almost feels like it's cutting into my palm, can't imagine any added heft would improve that.)

noah111

Still Alive
I thought you Apple guys had an eye for design? How does some of the stuff in iOS not make you cringe with it's utter blandness?

Windows 8 Lockscreen:

Ice Cream Sandwich Lockscreen:

iPad Lockscreen:
FYI most people use the smart covers these days, which eliminates the need for a lock screen to begin with... but yeah, the lock screen could use work, or better yet, be eliminated entirely.

iOS does not need a major overhaul yet. That's the consensus amongst consumers with money.
Agreed. It will continue to gain additions and slowly iPad iOS will become more and more refined in a specific direction away from iPhone iOS, but it's not changing dramatically any time soon.

kfpkiller

FYI most people use the smart covers these days, which eliminates the need for a lock screen to begin with... but yeah, the lock screen could use work, or better yet, be eliminated entirely.

Yeah it's annoying that I have to jailbreak to use NoLockScreen, a simple option would be enough.

kfpkiller

Give people too many options and they vote Hilter. It's really not a good idea.
WTF are you talking about?
The lockscreen on the ipad is completely useless and the option to disable it is already present if you have a smartcover.
Just give us the option to completely disable it, or is that too hard?

Try and deny it all you want but Apple has to get some shit done, because as it stands they are getting usurped by Google & MS in one of their key areas -- design.

ICS and Windows 8, while kinda nice right now, will look super dumb in 2-3 years.

iOS, while not flashy and admittedly a little stale, still has more class and lasting power than any of the other OSs out there design wise.

Kinda like comparing a 2011 Ford to a 2007 Mercedes.

Nobody answered my question re: 'page' navigation in Metro... do you really need to use that little scrollbar object to do it?

ok digging around i guess not... that video was a bit weird I guess.

kehs

Banned
ICS and Windows 8, while kinda nice right now, will look super dumb in 2-3 years.

iOS, while not flashy and admittedly a little stale, still has more class and lasting power than any of the other OSs out there design wise.

If you call fisher price classy, sure.

Apps like Game Center, Calender, iBooks and the fake linen background say no.

Zyzyxxz

wuh... that makes no sense. How is it that ICS and Win8 will looked dated in a few years? It's not like they will stay the same forever they will continually update.

And the car comparison doesn't work either as a new Ford Fusion looks better than any shit Mercedes has now.

That's an odd statement. Windows Mobile 7/Windows 8 typographic-heavy design will likely age the best considering how reliant it is on beautiful type and white space. I can see calling the design stale, but dumb? What will change in the next few years that will make carefully aligned and kerned lettering 'super dumb'?

If given the choice between abstracted and skeuomorphic design, I think the latter is far harder to pull off without looking tacky. Even Apple hasn't been able to conquer that feat 100% yet.

Zeth

The jailbreak tweak Intelliscreen X is one of the most powerful and amazing things I've seen related to iOS. If Apple were to pick up another jailbreak dev, this guy would be an awesome addition IMO. Not sure how likely that is, but I can dream. I'll be really happy if half of its functionality is added to iOS in the future. It's usurped SBSettings/Springtomize as the reason to jailbreak IMO.

Definitely take a look if you've never heard of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwx9PUX_tz8 note: this video is of the vanilla version, there have been many great plugins/add-ons released in the months since release

And the OS is just an app launcher. It's hard to make icons look "old".

Look at Android's icons in comparison. I really dislike them fwiw.

That's an odd statement. Windows Mobile 7/Windows 8 typographic-heavy design will likely age the best considering how reliant it is on beautiful type and white space. I can see calling the design stale, but dumb? What will change in the next few years that will make carefully aligned and kerned lettering 'super dumb'?

If given the choice between abstracted and skeuomorphic design, I think the latter is far harder to pull off without looking tacky. Even Apple hasn't been able to conquer that feat 100% yet.

Yes, but that Windows 7 P/8 Design is very much Zeitgeist and so is the typo they used. It just doesn't look like it will stand the test of time, design wise, while I think iOS has. Now obviously, as anything concerning design, there's a high percentage ob subjectivity involved, but I think that time will prove me right.

shira

Still wish this was a Retina car. The hp seems adequate for that car, but alas; it could've been so much better.

Garbaga

Banned

If you honestly believe that then have at it, but I'm certain Google will keep things fresh on Android so things never begin to look as dated and stale as they do on iOS.

numble

One of the biggest problem with the Metro typography focus is that it doesn't work very well with non-Western languages, which is troubling where China is a #2 market. One of the biggest design features of Metro is typography that provides UI cues, which is awkward to do with Chinese characters that take up minimal space already. They already abandoned that element in Windows Phone Chinese versions, so you don't know when you can swipe left/right, whereas in English there are cues for it.

Its also hard to do typography-based design for Chinese when all Chinese fonts are basically just different versions of Courier--every character must always take up the same space.

MercuryLS

Banned
The jailbreak tweak Intelliscreen X is one of the most powerful and amazing things I've seen related to iOS. If Apple were to pick up another jailbreak dev, this guy would be an awesome addition IMO. Not sure how likely that is, but I can dream. I'll be really happy if half of its functionality is added to iOS in the future. It's usurped SBSettings/Springtomize as the reason to jailbreak IMO.

Definitely take a look if you've never heard of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwx9PUX_tz8 note: this video is of the vanilla version, there have been many great plugins/add-ons released in the months since release

That is brilliant, wow. Hope Apple buys these guys and implements some of these ideas into iOS 6.

MercuryLS

Banned
If you honestly believe that then have at it, but I'm certain Google will keep things fresh on Android so things never begin to look as dated and stale as they do on iOS.

Good morning Garbaga, ready for another day of trolling and ignoring people's responses?

Garbaga

Banned
One of the biggest problem with the Metro typography focus is that it doesn't work very well with non-Western languages, which is troubling where China is a #2 market. One of the biggest design features of Metro is typography that provides UI cues, which is awkward to do with Chinese characters that take up minimal space already. They already abandoned that element in Windows Phone Chinese versions, so you don't know when you can swipe left/right, whereas in English there are cues for it.

Its also hard to do typography-based design for Chinese when all Chinese fonts are basically just different versions of Courier--every character must always take up the same space.

Oh boo-hoo.

Bgamer90

Banned

imo, ICS is the first nice looking Android OS. Everything else before was a cluttered mess.

If anything, I feel that ICS was made to get it to have a similar clean look that iOS has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom