• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
I.

CAN'T.

WAIT.
ixzhy6Ut5itNy.gif

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Anyone else bothered by how wrong those measurements are? Anyone?

What? You don't think that the iPad 2 is like 8 centimeters thick and the new one is going to be over 9 centimeters thick?

LCfiner

Get ready for Keynote graphs of sales with wood-panelling.

oh man... I always try to forget. all those awkward wood textures everywhere...

Sometimes, it looks like a first year uni student discovering wordart for the first time

"this beautiful MARBLE PILLAR represents iPad sales last quarter. look at it!"

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I still most likely won't get an iPad, but I'm really excited about this announcement. I hope the new high-resolution displays work their way into future MacBook Air models.

I'm not really an Apple fan at all, but I'm gonna be buying a tablet in the next month or two, so might as well see what the iPad 3 has to offer. I'd have to be something legendary (I'm talking IOS 2 OMG app store) legendary.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I made the mistake of getting a 16gb iPad 2. Will probably sell it to family for cheap, and get the biggest iPad 3 on offer.

btkadams

i really wish i had the money to get one of these. maybe i will during the summer when i actually start my career (graduating).

Leckan

They give you a 48 hour grace period before Tim Cook kicks down your door and forcibly updates your device while Phil Schiller sits on you and laughs.

It's not legal, but this is Obama's America.

But honestly though, are you forced to upgrade the firmware? If not then no biggie.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
But honestly though, are you forced to upgrade the firmware? If not then no biggie.

No one's forced to upgrade FW, no. You won't get the fun new features, but no one makes you do it.

jts

...hate me...
no, i sat on iOS 4 on my iPad for a long time before bothering to update. I would assume this holds true for future versions of iOS.
It's true unless you have to restore your device and Apple has stopped signing older versions of iOS.

Randdalf

I would get hyped, but it's going to be exactly the same as the first one with a prettier screen and more power. I'm more interested in what Apple are going to do with their television.

It's too bad letterboxing won't make an inferior 16x9 tablet comfortable to use in portrait. Luckily, I don't have to worry about it.

I do worry about it, though. This means there's no other tablet on the market that appeals to me. Apps are one thing, but as someone who uses his iPad 99% of the time in portrait mode, using a 16:9 tablet is just terrible.

Cheebo

Banned
I would get hyped, but it's going to be exactly the same as the first one with a prettier screen and more power. I'm more interested in what Apple are going to do with their television.

The Apple TV expected at the event is Apple TV 3, their set top box.

Also for the 16:9 thing how is the MacBook a valid reason to expect 16:9 on iPad? iPad's primary way to use it is portrait. Portrait is a mess on 16:9 tablets.

Tobor

I do worry about it, though. This means there's no other tablet on the market that appeals to me. Apps are one thing, but as someone who uses his iPad 99% of the time in portrait mode, using a 16:9 tablet is just terrible.

It's too bad HP flopped so hard. They at least got the aspect ratio right.

e_i

I hope the Apple TV is upgraded. Would nice to see an app store for this thing and controller to play games with.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
How many tablets at 16:9? Almost all of them are 16:10, which is a great aspect ratio.

Dynoro

Can you please tell me how often you use your iPad and what you actually do on it?

I use my ipad at least an hour a day and that includes: browsing/watching iplayer and netflix/playing games/reading. Nothing I couldn't do elsewhere (except for ipad only games) but its just much easier - beats reaching for a laptop/netbook and has the screensize advantage over a phone.

Not sure if I can justify an ipad3 as I'm on a 64gb ipad2 atm but the conference should be interesting
and probably cause me to get one

artist

Banned
I hope the Apple TV is upgraded. Would nice to see an app store for this thing and controller to play games with.
New AppleTV is coming;
MD328LL/A – J1 GOOD B- USA
MD329LL/A – J1 BETTER B-USA
MD330LL/A – J1 BEST-B-USA

MD366LL/A – J2A GOOD A-USA
MD367LL/A – J2A BEST A-USA
MD368LL/A – J2A BEST A-USA

MD369LL/A – J2A GOOD B-USA
MD370LL/A – J2A BETTER B-USA
MD371LL/A – J2A BEST B-USA

MD199LL/A – J33 BEST -USA

Cheebo

Banned
Can you please tell me how often you use your iPad and what you actually do on it?

Browsing looks okay but it's better on my iMac.

Browsing is more fun on a iPad than a iMac. It is hard to explain but it just is. I am sure most anyone with an iPad 2 (since iPad 1's RAM was just plain nearly unusable) would agree.

Divvy

For landscape yes, but for portrait which is the primary way to hold an iPad? It's awkward.

Wait, are we pretending that the iPad3 is going to be 16:10 or something? I don't think I need to explain why that will not happen.

Zeth

I'm starting to believe the no home button theory. The icon spacing says it's in portrait. There's no camera there so it's not upside down. All the gesture stuff they've been doing + history of putting hints on invites = no home button (maybe)

* I stopped using the home button entirely a few months ago, and I think it would be pretty cool.

Tobor

How many tablets at 16:9? Almost all of them are 16:10, which is a great aspect ratio.

Whatever aspect ratio the 10" android tablets are using now is lousy when holding in portrait. It's not comfortable. It's not as big a deal on the baby tablets or phones.

Cheebo

Banned
This announcement pleases me.

Now I just have to figure out when to sell the iPad 3 in order to get ready for iPad 4.
Part of me kind of dislikes this trend. And make no mistake it is one I keep taking part in each year with iPad 1 and now 2 where I get rid of mine prior to the next launch.

With computers I used to use one for like 4 years before upgrading, I got pretty damn attached to that hunk of plastic. With iPad I can't wait to get rid of the thing less than a year after buying it so I can upgrade.

darkwing

Browsing is more fun on a iPad than a iMac. It is hard to explain but it just is. I am sure most anyone with an iPad 2 (since iPad 1's RAM was just plain nearly unusable) would agree.

I still have an ipad 1 and i like it more web browsing than in my pc, comfy couch, bedroom and touch ftw!

jts

...hate me...
btw developers, get your fucking retina assets going. I want a quick transition mofos. If by the time I pick an iPad 3 your app hits me with its sharp pixels and no retina update is available, you're dead to me.

Divvy

Whatever aspect ratio the 10" android tablets are using now is lousy when holding in portrait. It's not comfortable. It's not as big a deal on the baby tablets or phones.

Well that's just your opinion mang.

Cheebo

Banned
btw developers, get your fucking retina assets going. I want a quick transition mofos. If by the time I pick an iPad 3 your app hits me with its sharp pixels and no retina update is available, you're dead to me.

Part of me thinks they showed this image when they normally never do just so devs know its 100% coming and to get their retina apps compatible ASAP.

Hatty

So I have about $500 in best buy gift cards what are my chances ordering online? Is camping out my best option? how was best buy stock last year?

shira

I'm starting to believe the no home button theory. The icon spacing says it's in portrait. There's no camera there so it's not upside down. All the gesture stuff they've been doing + history of putting hints on invites = no home button (maybe)

* I stopped using the home button entirely a few months ago, and I think it would be pretty cool.

How do you get back to home from an app? I find it useful. The power button and the volume/mute are iffy for me.

Zeth

I'm sure it was a complete coincidence that Apple decided to release the invite and cause a media frenzy during Google's keynote at MWC

How do you get back to home from an app? I find it useful. The power button and the volume/mute are iffy for me.
Pinch in with 4-5 fingers

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The iPad 3 is surely to be one of the most desirable pieces of technology when it arrives next month, but I still don't see the need for one in my life.

Browsing looks okay but it's better on my iMac.

All I can really think of having it for is the games, and even then they don't appeal to me as much as PlayStation Vita games.

Anyway can't wait to get into an Apple store to look at this ridiculous display.

I use mind every day. Browsing the web, twitter, email, updating my blog, shopping, looking at netflix, looking at hbo go, movies, checking the weather, etc. It is my goto device at home when I am on the couch. I have a desktop in my office that I use as well for more intensive work, but my iPad is my go to device usually.

I have a iPad 2, my wife has my old iPad 1, I am going to get a iPad 3 for her and keep my 2. The iPad 1 is showing it's age for sure. I got my 2 at a local Best Buy. Had to spend an hour in line, but that was nothing compared to the people who spent the entire day at Apple stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom