• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCreasy

I'm starting to believe the no home button theory. The icon spacing says it's in portrait. There's no camera there so it's not upside down. All the gesture stuff they've been doing + history of putting hints on invites = no home button (maybe)

* I stopped using the home button entirely a few months ago, and I think it would be pretty cool.

This, so this.

Thoraxes

I just hope they keep their strategy of keeping the price the same, and knock the iPad 2's down to a lower price bracket like they did last gen with the Touch 3G.

Also, believe.

K1nVr.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Portrait is the only way to hold it unless you are watching movies or games that require landscape I find. Stuff like web browsing, twitter, document writing, etc all works far better in portrait.

But this is only because the iOS software was designed for that aspect ratio. If the aspect ratio were 16:10, the apps would be designed for landscape and it'd work great that way too.

icecream

Public Health Threat
But honestly though, are you forced to upgrade the firmware? If not then no biggie.

You are never literally forced to do a mandatory update, but the entire ecosystem is tailored around making sure you update. From iTunes always bugging you about new updates, to restores fetching the latest version whenever you recover just because something innocently went wrong with your device, to apps updating themselves to suddenly require only the latest version to run and new apps doing the same, to a community that taunts and applauds "new" features and ostricizes those who don't update to the latest 'experience' making users compelled to always keep up their devices.

That is how Apple gets people to update, and how they work in updates that make slightly older products suddenly run worse and making them feel inadequate so the user is forced to buy the latest version.

blackflag

Damn I wonder how much a 32gb with LTE will cost. 729.00 assuming it'll be the same as the 2 but there are rumors that it will go up.

I would hate to have to get the 16gb version even though I use my iPad 1 constantly and I've never even come close to filling it up.

LCfiner

I'm starting to believe the no home button theory. The icon spacing says it's in portrait. There's no camera there so it's not upside down. All the gesture stuff they've been doing + history of putting hints on invites = no home button (maybe)

* I stopped using the home button entirely a few months ago, and I think it would be pretty cool.

You gotta think about the larger user base, here. The home button makes it easy and obvious for small children, old grandmas and everyone in between to use it.

there's no need to explain to someone - and then have them memorize - that you need to pinch with four fingers to go home. that's really obscure.

the four finger shortcuts are just shortcuts. the button will always be there. Apple will never make the ipad harder to discover for a new user in such an important way. Imagine every design decision regarding the ipad at Apple comes up against the question: "does this make it harder to use for your kids and your grandparents?" If it does, it better be damn well important or else it's gonna get scrapped.

now, I'm not saying it will always be a simple button for all time. I could see it becoming some sort of small gesture area, combined with the push button functionality. maybe not this year, but down the line. that allows for some more power feature shortcuts without getting rid of the ease of use of a simple button press to go home.

if they announce it on march 7, when do you think it will be on istores?

Rumors are that it should be made available shortly afterwards. Last year there was just over a week after announcement until availability.

That said, who knows. Would be cool to have pre-orders ready to go by the 9th.

Zeth

You gotta think about the larger user base, here. The home button makes it easy and obvious for small children, old grandmas and everyone in between to use it.

there's no need to explain to someone - and then have them memorize - that you need to pinch with four fingers to go home. that's really obscure.

the four finger shortcuts are just shortcuts. the button will always be there. Apple will never make the ipad harder to discover for a new user in such an important way. Imagine every design decision regarding the ipad at Apple comes up against the question: "does this make it harder to use for your kids and your grandparents?" If it does, it better be damn well important or else it's gonna get scrapped.

now, I'm not saying it will always be a simple button for all time. I could see it becoming some sort of small gesture area, combined with the push button functionality. maybe not this year, but down the line. that allows for some more power feature shortcuts without getting rid of the ease of use of a simple button press to go home.

this makes a lot of sense and has tempered my confidence in said theory

Tobor

But this is only because the iOS software was designed for that aspect ratio. If the aspect ratio were 16:10, the apps would be designed for landscape and it'd work great that way too.

What? iOS is designed to work either way.

This isn't just about software, it's about the way the device feels in the hand. At 10" 4:3 is balanced in both portrait and landscape. 16:10 or 16:9 is top heavy when reading in portrait. I've tried them, they're uncomfortable to hold.

If your primary usage is landscape, then I cold see why you like it. It's still a bad design to require landscape for a good experience.

Zeth

if they announce it on march 7, when do you think it will be on istores?

The following Friday is my best guess. With the leaked cargo spy pics I guess it could be sooner or immediate, but I'd be surprised if it's after the Friday of the following week.

mrkgoo

Agreed. One of the biggest successes of the iPad (and iPhone) is that it only has two buttons to speak of. Sleep/wake, which sleeps and wakes, and the home button, which just takes you home and that’s all (multitasking aside, a later feature). It's so infinitely easy to teach someone how to use an iPad. Accessibility is the key to its success.

JCreasy

The following Friday is my best guess. With the leaked cargo spy pics I guess it could be sooner or immediate, but I'd be surprised if it's after the Friday of the following week.

Should we plan a Gaf 12 AM Pre-Order Party?

My body and wallet are ready........for iPad 2's to drop in price :D

I did the same thing as last year with the iPad 2

I'm hyped to see the iPad 3 though, I may get the 3 but idk. If I can get a 2 with a huge gb for $250-$350 then I'll stick with getting a 2.

Funny to see lots of lpads go on sale on eBay, here, craigs list, etc.

Sean

Banned
Portrait is the only way to hold it unless you are watching movies or games that require landscape I find. Stuff like web browsing, twitter, document writing, etc all works far better in portrait.

I hold my iPad in landscape 99% of the time.

Sidebars > Pop-over menus (less taps).
Landscape keyboard > portrait keyboard (bigger keys, easier to type in landscape).

I only hold it in portrait when reading comics.

shira

Agreed. One of the biggest successes of the iPad (and iPhone) is that it only has two buttons to speak of. Sleep/wake, which sleeps and wakes, and the home button, which just takes you home and that’s all (multitasking aside, a later feature). It's so infinitely easy to teach someone how to use an iPad. Accessibility is the key to its success.

Ha, if they make an iPad Pro it should have no buttons.

Cheebo

Banned
My body and wallet are ready........for iPad 2's to drop in price :D

I did the same thing as last year with the iPad 2

I'm hyped to see the iPad 3 though, I may get the 3 but idk. If I can get a 2 with a huge gb for $250-$350 then I'll stick with getting a 2.
Funny to see lots of lpads go on sale on eBay, here, craigs list, etc.

More like $399 for the 16 GB one.

Have you considered that they might have taken the shot off-centre so the Home button is just out of view? It could be just behind the thumb, or just off the bottom left corner of the image.

Divvy

What? iOS is designed to work either way.

This isn't just about software, it's about the way the device feels in the hand. At 10" 4:3 is balanced in both portrait and landscape. 16:10 or 16:9 is top heavy when reading in portrait. I've tried them, they're uncomfortable to hold.

If your primary usage is landscape, then I cold see why you like it. It's still a bad design to require landscape for a good experience.

Sorry, I didn't explain my point clearly. I'm just saying that you can look at a 16:10 tablet and say "well the twitter app and art apps work better in landscape mode" and conclude that twitter apps and art apps naturally work better in landscape mode. However, that would be wrong, just as saying they are naturally better in portrait mode because of how they are designed in iOS.

I hold my tablet near the middle on the left hand side in portrait mode, so that has never been a problem. If you're holding it at the bottom, sure, but why would you?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Wouldn't it be mad if they announced iPad 3 and then said it's available... Now!

Tobor

Marvel finally came to their senses, huh? Took too long, but I'm glad to see it. This is the way I want to buy comics.

mrkgoo

Have you considered that they might have taken the shot off-centre so the Home button is just out of view? It could be just behind the thumb, or just off the bottom left corner of the image.

What makes people think it's in portrait anyway? And couldn't it be upside down with the home button on top? It doesn't matter.

Edit: oh, app spacing.

Danneee

32gb Wifi Ipad3 will be mine, can't wait to read articles on that thing! It will be glorious! I Just hope it wont be more than $750 when it releases here in sweden...

Divvy

What makes people think it's in portrait anyway? And couldn't it be upside down with the home button on top? It doesn't matter.

You guys are reading too much into this. The photo was already shopped. They could have just removed the home button to cut down on things extraneous from the message.

Zeth

or they could have just removed it to make the text over it more readable. Just speculating.

mrkgoo

You guys are reading too much into this. The photo was already shopped. They could have just removed the home button to cut down on things extraneous from the message.

That's just it. None of it matters. The invite graphics really don't have hidden messages in them. They're just images meant to convey the theme, or just look pretty.

JCreasy

Marvel finally came to their senses, huh? Took too long, but I'm glad to see it. This is the way I want to buy comics.

Fuh sho!

I was just thinking this morning how complicated the UI is for the Marvel/DC/ComiXology apps.

Do I find my comics in Downloads, my comics, on the purchase page? It's cumbersome. And then I secretly wished they would let iBooks manage it . . . and VOILA! I see this today!

Now I will secretly wish for a quad-core A6 for iPad 3 . . . you're welcome Gaf . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom