• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer [Mafia] |OT| Wait, I Had Something For This

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
the winners have to volunteer

For what it's worth I don't agree with this part specifically.

This would be you enforcing an ad-hoc player-driven mechanic which seems... off.

And anyway, anyone who breaks the "rules" we set for volunteer voting will just be putting a target on themselves.

Haly

That's fine, as long as no one feels obligated by any higher power (you) to stick to the democratic volunteering.

Haly

Seath is getting lynched day one again, isn't he.

Burbeting

Banned
It begins!

What exactly is the mission for? or are people just volunteering blindly?

Well what I understood from openimg post people outside the mission can't target people in the mission during night and vice-versa? And there is some sort of special night-chat for those on the mission. Nothing else has been told, and if there is something more to it, we don't even know if the mission-people can tell about it afterwards. Quite many questions remain about it for now.

roytheone

For what it's worth I don't agree with this part specifically.

This would be you enforcing an ad-hoc player-driven mechanic which seems... off.

And anyway, anyone who breaks the "rules" we set for volunteer voting will just be putting a target on themselves.

I think what ourob means is that the winners will still have to officially volunteer even after winning, not that they will be forced by game rules to volunteer. Anyway, I would love the input of the other players on the question of Democratic vs first come.

Ourobolus

Banned
I think what ourob means is that the winners will still have to officially volunteer even after winning, not that they will be forced by game rules to volunteer.
Yes, this. I am not changing the rules. If you wan to do something within the confines of the rules, ok.

Gah. It's 7 AM here! And so many have volunteered already >:O

Whatever, I want to volunteer too !! :<

Will read the rest of the posts soon, once I get to work. Lets us have a good KGB hunting first day!

Enker

I like the idea of democratic voting. As was mentioned, if there are 6 KGB then allowing 4 of them to jump the gun every time gives us much smaller odds of lynching one successfully.

As such, I am inclined to assume the first 4 to volunteer are KGB until we get more information (Mazre, Palmer, Arkos, Tiger). By no means am I ready to cast a vote yet.

Why? do you have something to say? Maybe for a start try responding to my first post in the thread, I really do want to see everyone come up with a list of "hot out the fucking gate" picks, please.
My hot picks are everyone that volunteered. The reason is that (unless I'm interpreting the rules wrong) the reason was before it was announced that it resets, I assumed it would be persistent like some other people probably have. So, its important for the KGB to have atleast one person in there for information purposes.( and Yes, I know this also casts doubt on me because I volunteered, but I did it because its likely they won't kill anyone on a mission because it would make it easy to find a KGB member and since I'm a newb I'm an easy target and likely to die and I want to survive past the first day.)

I'm fine with a voting system for missions though I don't really know any of you, so I don't know who I would vote for.

Mazre

Re: Missions:

I see them as either the safest place to be or the most dangerous. As the rules in OP state it seems to divide us into 2 groups and at face value prevents interaction via night abilities between those two groups. As has been mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if there is some mechanic to get around this fact, nor would I be surprised if it was simply as stated. It's all speculation until we learn more.

Beyond that I'm not against democratically deciding in principle but we'd definitely need to speed up the time table being suggested. 4 days seems like a lot, but by the time you factor in peoples schedules and time zone differences it can disappear in a hurry, and our top priority in the day phase remains determining who we lynch.

roytheone

Gah. It's 7 AM here! And so many have volunteered already >:O

Whatever, I want to volunteer too !! :<

Will read the rest of the posts soon, once I get to work. Lets us have a good KGB hunting first day!

This is also a good point in favor of Democratic voting. Some people may not be able to be online during day starts because of timezones and/or work times, so with first come they will have no chance to go on a mission ever.

Mazre

I like the idea of democratic voting. As was mentioned, if there are 6 KGB then allowing 4 of them to jump the gun every time gives us much smaller odds of lynching one successfully.

As such, I am inclined to assume the first 4 to volunteer are KGB until we get more information (Mazre, Palmer, Arkos, Tiger). By no means am I ready to cast a vote yet.

Players volunteering in no way effects our ability to lynch them during the day.

Haly

Also my Hotgate Award nominees:

roytheone
Enker
YesNOnoNOYes
Seath
Hobohodo

Nothing personal against any of you, except Hobohodo, who is a liar and a cheat and I'm going to kill evict you again, see if I don't. And this time you're not a little kid anymore so I'm morally in the clear.

I think 4-5 is the right number, squidyj. Animal Crossing Mafia had 4... and Darryl, who was like 0.5 Mafia. According to Karakdor's advance mathematics, this is like 4 and 5 simultaneously.

squidyj

Also my Hotgate Award nominees:

roytheone
Enker
YesNOnoNOYes
Seath
Hobohodo

Nothing personal against any of you, except Hobohodo, who is a liar and a cheat and I'm going to kill evict you again, see if I don't. And this time you're not a little kid anymore so I'm morally in the clear.

I think 4-5 is the right number, squidyj. Animal Crossing Mafia had 4... and Darryl, who was like 0.5 Mafia. According to Karakdor's advance mathematics, this is like 4 and 5 simultaneously.

I don't think that it's impossible for there to be 5 or even 6 mafia, and so talking about 4 is a mistake for town later on, we need to err on the side of caution.

Haly

For the record, I think 5 is more likely than 4, and 4 more likely than 6. 5+1 neutral would also make more sense than 6.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a role like that Smuggler guy in the Star Wars thread whose alt-win is to go on X number of missions.

roytheone

Just before I go to bed my hotlist:

Halt
Mazre
Palmer_v1
Seath
Arkos

Mostly based on the fact they volunteered quite soon, the KGB will want to have at least one agent participating in every mission.

roytheone

Also, to have access to the mission night chat, they need to be able to keep an eye on everyone to determine the biggest treat.

Enker

Sorry what do you mean by this?

The rules appear to say you can only target someone at night who is in your group, mission or town. Cops and other night power roles (yet to be known if they are in this game of course) in theory would want to remain in the town for the widest range of people to use their powers on. Thus, for every KGB that goes on the mission that gives those roles staying in town a much smaller chance of hitting KGB on an investigation.

Although I am rather new to Mafia as a whole, so who knows?

Palmer_v1

you find it difficult to postulate a reasoning why going on missions matters but you had to be one of the first on there huh?

Of course. The reason a higher profile player wants to be on the mission should be obvious. I set a timer to buzz a few minutes before start and babysat my phone while playing Codenames to make sure i could exploit the system to keep myself safe.

I'm definitely not going to apologize for using the system to my own benefit. I'd prefer not to die pointlessly night 1. I also don't think more than 1 person on the mission is mafia since they could coordinate ahead of time and would be stupid to group up.

Palmer_v1

Are you officialy changing the way missions work, or expecting the players to somehow police it? I havent been able to read everything.

Ourobolus

Banned
Are you officialy changing the way missions work, or expecting the players to somehow police it? I havent been able to read everything.
Not officially changing anything. If you guys want to do something different within the confines of the rules, that's ok.

Haly

I think Volunteering is a bit like one-night Commuting, so it's easy to see why a lot of people are gung-ho about it.

Personally, I just wanted to participate, because I wasn't able to do anything interesting last game. Not like those lucky guys with their neighbors and parties and shit. foreveralone.jpg

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
you think we only have 4 with 23 players?

You know a lot about how many KGB there are, eh?

And just for clarity, I was volunteering because a) I want to see what it's all about, b) it's cool, duh, and c) I'm afraid yall will lynch me if I stick around because I'm new and you don't know anything about me. I'm a pleb drone, village ftw.

I think the idea of voting for volunteers is a good idea, at least to try. Another way it could work is, if we kill off a couple of mafia we could try to get all of the mafia on a mission together and see if no one gets killed that night (which they could also counter with random no-kills). Eh?

squidyj

Of course. The reason a higher profile player wants to be on the mission should be obvious. I set a timer to buzz a few minutes before start and babysat my phone while playing Codenames to make sure i could exploit the system to keep myself safe.

I'm definitely not going to apologize for using the system to my own benefit. I'd prefer not to die pointlessly night 1. I also don't think more than 1 person on the mission is mafia since they could coordinate ahead of time and would be stupid to group up.

Okay I like you a little bit more now.

squidyj

You know a lot about how many KGB there are, eh?

And just for clarity, I was volunteering because a) I want to see what it's all about, b) it's cool, duh, and c) I'm afraid yall will lynch me if I stick around because I'm new and you don't know anything about me. I'm a pleb drone, village ftw.

I think the idea of voting for volunteers is a good idea, at least to try. Another way it could work is, if we kill off a couple of mafia we could try to get all of the mafia on a mission together and see if no one gets killed that night (which they could also counter with random no-kills). Eh?

what does volunteering have to do with being afraid of getting lynched?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
what does volunteering have to do with being afraid of getting lynched?

I mistakenly thought volunteers can't be lynched that day. Although still, if people agreed on ones volunteering it might lessen the chances of lynching. But mostly that part of my motivation was a misunderstanding of the rules.

Haly

I think people just misread the missions thing, squidy.

To clarify, from what I'm seeing:

Phases go: Day -> Twilight -> Night -> Day

Voting/lynching happens as the "last" event of the day. Twilight roles take effect during twilight, and the mission begins at the "start" of Night, where players are limited in who they can target.

It's easy to see someone mixing up "end of the day" with "start of the night", especially since this mechanic is unfamiliar.

Razmos

I'm way too tired to figure out the mechanics of this game right now :p
I'm gonna sleep on it and read it again tomorrow haha

Top Bottom