• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman advance ticket sales outpacing The Avengers, Furious 7, Deadpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Superhero films have been going strong for around 15 years now. I doubt much will change in the near future.
I agree. Especially with DC just starting their cinematic universe and it being so different from MCU. They are not going anywhere.

Superhero films will only start to diminish when something else is able to pick up the blockbuster slack. Right now the largest untapped potential are video games and its not a matter of if, but when one of them hits and starts that craze.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hmm, thought the OST was quite weak. :/ Maybe I shouldn't have heard it before watching the movie? Didn't feel there were any standout moments or memorable sections. MoS OST blew this away, IMO.

Superhero films will only start to diminish when something else is able to pick up the blockbuster slack. Right now the largest untapped potential are video games and its not a matter of if, but when one of them hits and starts that craze.

Uncharted and Assassin's Creed have potential to be $400-500 million films.

Loxley

Yep. I think video game adaptions are the next untapped gold mine in cinema, what with the younger generations who grew up playing games having children now - soon they'll be the bulk of movie-going audiences.

It'll take a few years to get there, but hopefully Warcraft and Assassin's Creed will get the ball rolling and we'll start seeing more game properties being turned into (quality) films.

Superhero films won't diminish because superhero isn't so much a genre as it is a means to make existing genres more interesting.

Basically, you could have your sci-fi action spectacular with regular ol' people in it. Or you could make those people superpowered with cool costumes.

Even movies & tv shows that don't have actual superheroes in them are making their protagonists superhero-esque.

I don't think video game movies will be the next big thing to the extent superheroes are, because essentially, on a character level, the heroes of video games are more or less just superheroes already. And superheroes are just powered antagonists working within the same action movie/sci-fi-fantasy idiom we've been steadily fed since the late '70s/early '80s.

We're basically just figuring out what new book jacket to slide over the same seven stories we've been reading.

hal9001

Banned
It's one of my favorite animated DC flicks. Owlman was fantastic and whoever cast James Wood for his role deserves a medal.

It won't. I'd argue that the main reason is that superhero films are a sub-genre of sorts.

It can piggy back onto other film genres so not all are the same and fatigue doesn't creep in. Dark Knight was a crime thriller, avengers a saturday cartoon superhero show, GoTG a sci fi adventure, Deadpool a comedy ect. Point is there is no superhero genre at all. They all are changeable.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I don't want the superhero/comic book genre to fade. I want more riskier superhero/comic book films to be made. Flex Mentallo, Miracleman, The Invisibles, Doom Patrol and more. There's a wealth of content out there in comic books for Hollywood to make use off. I'm hoping we get some adult-oriented comic book movies soon.

Games are already an active visual medium that I'm not so sure they can replicate what comics have done as movies. A huge part of why comic movies have been and become huge is that these are characters that people previously have only ever seen in drawings and print finally come to life. The more realistic and cinematic games get, the less you get that same effect with a video game movie. What's the point of an Uncharted movie if the Uncharted games basically are Uncharted movies?

Also keep in mind that a ton of the most successful games are taking huge cues, visually and tonally, from existing action movies already.

Uncharted was considered an Indy Jones riff as a game, it's going to be doubly so when it gets retranslated back into a movie.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I want my Last of Us movie, written by Neil and directed by Derek Cianfrance.

Azazzel

Aren't most videogames pretty much super hero stories tho? A super powerful guy with weird clothes trying to save the world. Try to explain the difference to a soccer mom that takes his kid to the movies. I dare you.

People here are putting a lot of faith into Zack Snyder but I still question how he thinks Jessie Esienberg could make a good Lex Luthor.

I mean, how? The trailers show he's not even trying to put on a Lex Luthor persona. More like an evil Jessie Esienberg persona.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Warcraft has chance of being the first good videogame movie. It has good lore to draw from and the Warcraft games were rts and now an MMO, there's no way to get the kind of visual fidelity you'd get from the movie in those games.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Hmm, thought the OST was quite weak. :/ Maybe I shouldn't have heard it before watching the movie? Didn't feel there were any standout moments or memorable sections. MoS OST blew this away, IMO.

I thought the same. I gave most of the tracks a good listen and will come back after the film, but I found it to be disappointing after I loved certain tracks from MoS. I don't think I really heard any previous MoS tracks intertwined in there from what I did listen to, unless I just didn't notice them. I loved tracks like "Arcade" and "What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World?", and if you got a hold of the Complete MoS Score "Escape from Ship" was another good one, but didn't feel like there were similar ones here at all.

Pokemon has the foundation for a compelling film series. Pokemon games aren't to my taste, but it's not terribly difficult to imagine a blending of Rocky, Gremlins, Harry Potter; that sort.

Pokemon has the foundation for a compelling film series. Pokemon games aren't to my taste, but it's not terribly difficult to imagine a blending of Rocky, Gremlins, Harry Potter; that sort.

I wonder if the subject matter is harder to realise than people think. Once Pikachu looks less like a flat animated emoji, and more like something furry, and tangible then the idea of keeping it prisoner and letting your friends Onix stamp on its head in your back garden becomes a little fucked up. I remember a lot of childrens stores in the U.K banning the sale of them in the 90's because it encouraged fighting.

There is no need to make movies out of video games franchises. Video games are the better medium anyway, because it has so much more potential than movies.

Superhero fatigue won't happen, there is just too much untouched yet which could be a success.

G-Fex

There is no need to make movies out of video games franchises. Video games are the better medium anyway, because it has so much more potential than movies.

Superhero fatigue won't happen, there is just too much untouched yet which could be a success.

Rofl.

I needed a good laugh today.

LordOfChaos

I've generally liked Marvel movies a lot, but watching all the Civil War trailers, it's kind of just like "haven't I seen this movie before?"

BvsS feels more substantially new, which I expect is partially it. Civil War people will want to watch but may not feel the need to day 1 anymore.

I wonder if the subject matter is harder to realise than people think. Once Pikachu looks less like a flat animated emoji, and more like something furry, and tangible then the idea of keeping it prisoner and letting your friends Onix stamp on its head in your back garden becomes a little fucked up. I remember a lot of childrens stores in the U.K banning the sale of them in the 90's because it encouraged fighting.

Good point. Maybe frame Team Rocket as the dog fighters of the world? Set it apart from the sanctioned, safe Pokemon battles.

JB1981

The soundtrack has done nothing for me. Surprised too after all the praise earlier in the thread. The Man of Steel soundtrack is much better, IMO

The soundtrack has done nothing for me. Surprised too after all the praise earlier in the thread. The Man of Steel soundtrack is much better, IMO

I think Arcade/Flight > everything on BvS soundtrack, but I really like Is She WIth You and This is my World.

I'm not feeling Lex's theme too much yet, it feels a little over the top.

Some tracks are wierd, like experimental music. Some sound generic and too repeating. Not bad but also not stand out.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I've generally liked Marvel movies a lot, but watching all the Civil War trailers, it's kind of just like "haven't I seen this movie before?"

BvsS feels more substantially new, which I expect is partially it. Civil War people will want to watch but may not feel the need to day 1 anymore.
How is Civil War like that all? As long as there is not a bad guy at the end, and the War remains just between both teams, it sounds very refreshing than any Marvel movie in the past five years (besides Deadpool). BvsS, is surprsing me with these ticket sales...the concept sounds awful because Superman can destroy Batman any time he wants, and according to the only trailer I have ever seen it amounts to nothing because they team up to fight some evil bad.

JB1981

I think Arcade/Flight > everything on BvS soundtrack, but I really like Is She WIth You and This is my World.

I'm not feeling Lex's theme too much yet, it feels a little over the top.

Some tracks are wierd, like experimental music. Some sound generic and too repeating. Not bad but also not stand out.

I think I'm just not a big fan of Junkie XL's style of music. Everything is the same driving RAM-RAM-RAM sound. Could hardly make out a decent melody in all the noise.

IconGrist

How is Civil War like that all? As long as there is not a bad guy at the end, and the War remains just between both teams, it sounds very refreshing than any Marvel movie in the past five years (besides Deadpool). BvsS, is surprsing me with these ticket sales...the concept sounds awful because Superman can destroy Batman any time he wants, and according to the only trailer I have ever seen it amounts to nothing because they team up to fight some evil bad.

I got some bad news...

I got some bad news...

???
Have some spoilers leaked that I'm not aware of ?
If I remember correctly, in the comic, the Cap and Iron Man battle was the climax of the story. I know that there are going to be some villains in the film but that doesn't necessarily means that everyone is going to forget about the civil war and team-up against them. At least I hope so !

The Kree

Banned
???
If I remember correctly, in the comic, the Cap and Iron Man battle was the climax of the story. I know that there are going to be some villains in the film but that doesn't necessarily means that everyone is going to forget about the civil war and team-up against them. At least I hope so !

Daniel Bruhl was cast as a major villain in Civil War.

shoreu

???

Haven't read the story but I'm gonna try and guess...

Something something villain was manipulating this conflict the whole time.

???

edit*

Ya'll need to be more careful with your cross movie spoilers. It's more often than not that people are spoiled by the movies they're trying to not be spoiled by in unrelated threads. I personally don't mind, just sayin cover that stuff up.

Anyway regarding Zemo...

He doesn't have a big role in the movie. There might still be a big bad but it's looking like crossbone and zemo are the only villains casted so far. I think the mountain fight is the third act.

Source

Back on topic, what are the latest tracking numbers?

Really good.

http://heroichollywood.com/final-box-office-tracking-numbers-batman-v-superman-dawn-justice/

A poster had laid it out in text form.

edit: here you go in text form

From the DCEU thread...

Updated tracking numbers from Mayimbe:

All numbers are first choice.

First Choice: 31% up from 23 two weeks ago and 25 a week ago. "That's blockbuster levels"

38% males under 25, 39% males over 25, 23% females under 25, 24% females over 25.

Teenagers 12-16: overall first choice 32%. Males - 44%, Females - 19%.

17-34 year olds: 30% overall. Males - 25%. Females - 24%.

Latinos: Overall indexing. Overall first choice - 36%. Young Males - 47%, older males - 25%, young females - 31%, older females - 42%. Big numbers.

African Americans: Over indexing. Overall first Choice - 38%. Young males - 46%, older males - 30%, young females - 40%, older females - 36%.

"I've never seen any numbers in the 40s since I started looking at tracking numbers."

He's predicting 175-185. If the film is good more. HH

Rootbeer

Banned
Did anyone get a free advance screening invite to BvS through fandango?

Just got an email about it and registered. It's at the Alamo too!

Sheroking

People here are putting a lot of faith into Zack Snyder but I still question how he thinks Jessie Esienberg could make a good Lex Luthor.

I mean, how? The trailers show he's not even trying to put on a Lex Luthor persona. More like an evil Jessie Esienberg persona.

I mean, Jesse Eisenberg already played a better live action version of Lex Luthor in this scene than Gene Hackman or Kevin Spacey ever managed, but yes, he's going for something completely different here.

Whether or not it works... we'll see.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
BvsS, is surprsing me with these ticket sales...the concept sounds awful because Superman can destroy Batman any time he wants, and according to the only trailer I have ever seen it amounts to nothing because they team up to fight some evil bad.

People should expect that Batman and Superman won't remain enemies regardless of the trailers laying that out. We don't know WHY they stop fighting as the trailers never went into that.

Secondly, yes, Superman would destroy Batman if he didn't care about killing humans. I think, despite his morals, Superman also realizes that killing Bats wouldn't make the world see him any better either. It might actually make matters worse. Meanwhile, it seems like Batman is actually trying to kill Superman.

Yeah, I don't doubt that there will be some villains in Civil War manipulating the events but considering that Winter Soldier was relatively close to the comic, I still think the climax of the film will be Cap vs Iron Man. I could be wrong of course but that would be very disappointing... Sorry for the off-topic talk!

Regarding the actual topic of the thread, I'm curious how BvS is going to do internationally. I live in France and while the Nolan films were popular, the DC heroes are not as established or beloved (especially Superman) as the Marvel characters here. I was trying to buy tickets earlier today and I was surprised to find that the movie is not playing in a lot of theaters in my area. It looks like I'm not going to be able to see it in english with subtitles even though I was easily able to see Deadpool this way and it had a lot more showings. It might just be my area but it's really strange...

I mean Batman V Superman's premise isn't any different than Civil War with heroes fighting each other. I mean with the former it's between two heroes while the latter is between a group of heroes. Yes fundamentally they'll be different in the way they execute things, but it's still between heroes.

I honestly don't see how Batman V Superman is new with the exception of these two big juggernauts duking it out on the big screen for the first time. Then again if we go with that mentality Civil War is refreshing as well because Black Panther will be introduced on the big screen for the first time and Spiderman is joining the MCU.

No its because we've seen these characters together in multiple movies now, even fighting each other too so the novelty of that is lost compared to seeing batman vs. superman

Also just going by the trailers I'm buying the Bruce/Clark conflict a lot more than stark and rogers and they've had so many movies to build on that as well. It will likely pan out better in the actual film tho, or not who knows.

No its because we've seen these characters together in multiple movies now, even fighting each other too so the novelty of that is lost compared to seeing batman vs. superman

Also just going by the trailers I'm buying the Bruce/Clark conflict a lot more than stark and rogers and they've had so many movies to build on that as well. It will likely pan out better in the actual film tho, or not who knows.

I guess we have to agree to disagree because I find the inclusion of Black Panther to be something new for Civil War as well as Spiderman being apart of the MCU.

Naw I find Stark and Rogers conflict a lot more believable considering the build up between the characters ever since there first interaction. However, I do find Superman and Batman's conflict interesting as well.

Anyway I really don't want to turn this into a Batman v Superman versus Civil War thread because that accomplishes nothing so we'll just leave it at that. Hopefully both movies will be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom