• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman advance ticket sales outpacing The Avengers, Furious 7, Deadpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadpool was mediocre so if this is worse it will be a sad day. A sad day when a movie starring the original GOAT is worse than a movie starring a stupid c tier hero with obnoxious jokes. But of course given MOS it is possible lol.

Deadpool is better than Superman.

Say what you want about Deadpool and his jokes or memeshit but at least its far more entertaining than a dull character like Superman.

Thank god Batman is in the movie.

karasu

Say what you want about Deadpool and his jokes or memeshit but at least its far more entertaining than a dull character like Superman.

kill that noise. It sounds like more "Superman is boring because I don't read him and have never actually took the effort to look into him" bullshit.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

Your only exposure to comic book characters must be through movies otherwise what you said is laughable.Do you only watch MCU stuff or do you actually read comics and know what Superman's legacy is?

kill that noise. It sounds like more "Superman is boring because I don't read him and have never actually took the effort to look into him" bullshit.

Pretty much.

Shaanyboi

Banned

D0xku2d.jpg

I've read comics over Superman but I just couldn't ever get into him. Not saying he's a shit character but some of the material I've read from him has been dull for me.

Though knowing comic book fans they'll automatically think its bullshit for a person to find a character boring or bring up MCU as a defense. Its not like I'm only picking on DC because I do find some characters in Marvel dull as well.

Magwik

Banned
I've read comics over Superman but I just couldn't ever get into him. Not saying he's a shit character but some of the material I've read from him has been dull for me.

Though knowing comic book fans they'll automatically think its bullshit for a person to find a character boring or bring up MCU as a defense. Its not like I'm only picking on DC because I do find some characters in Marvel dull as well.
What don't you find interesting about Superman, exactly?

jett

D-Member
Cool that apparently there are some good impressions of the movie. I'm happy I didn't let myself get carried away by hype with this movie, unlike Man Of Steel.

duckroll

Cool that apparently there are some good impressions of the movie. I'm happy I didn't let myself get carried away by hype with this movie, unlike Man Of Steel.

I can't believe how hyped I was for Man of Steel honestly. I really believed when I got into the cinema, that it would be the movie to show Snyder's maturity as a director, handling a more human and character driven Superman in a real world without being hampered by his stylistic instincts.

:/

What don't you find interesting about Superman, exactly?

Like I understand there's more depth to Superman's character than just being omnipotent. However, him being omnipotent is what kills it for me.

Either that or I've been reading the wrong comics for him that doesn't provide a deeper meaning to his character.

Like I understand there's more depth to Superman's character than just being omnipotent. However, him being omnipotent is what kills it for me.

Either that or I've been reading the wrong comics for him that doesn't provide a deeper meaning to his character.

Read American Alien, by Max Landis.

It's totally out of continuity but he writes Superman from the perspective that he is Clark Kent first and foremost, and is just a guy trying to do the right thing. Each issue so far (there's been 5 out of 7) is Clark at a different stage of growing up.

Also I'd recommend All-Star Superman, which is probably the best Superman series. It's also self-contained and made me love the character after being apathetic for the same reasons you are.

kswiston

I am going to see BvS next weekend, but I have been mildly disappointed with most blockbusters these past couple of years, so I am not expecting much. Better than Age of Ultron would be nice, but I'd settle for better than Jurassic World.

You're not the only mate, his character is pretty boring a lot of the time. Personality and being OP play a role in it. I remember when there were a bunch of Superman fans defending him that the main reason Batman is better is just because of writers lmao

He has his moments though, there's times when he's great but is very hit or miss.

duckroll

I think Superman being a boring character shouldn't really be a controversial opinion. He is boring. But that's also what makes him interesting. He is boring because he is the western superhero archetype. His power set is "generic", his personality is largely "generic", and he's a goodie two shoes. But that's also because much of what defines a "generic" superhero came from Superman. Superman is to superheroes what Lord of the Rings is to modern fantasy.

Just because he is a boring character doesn't mean you can't tell great stories with him, as many writers have proven.

jett

D-Member
I can't believe how hyped I was for Man of Steel honestly. I really believed when I got into the cinema, that it would be the movie to show Snyder's maturity as a director, handling a more human and character driven Superman in a real world without being hampered by his stylistic instincts.

Those were brighter, more hopeful times.

I am going to see BvS next weekend, but I have been mildly disappointed with most blockbusters these past couple of years, so I am not expecting much. Better than Age of Ultron would be nice, but I'd settle for better than Jurassic World.

I'm settling for seeing some cool action scenes on screen, I have no other expectations.

I think Superman being a boring character shouldn't really be a controversial opinion. He is boring. But that's also what makes him interesting. He is boring because he is the western superhero archetype. His power set is "generic", his personality is largely "generic", and he's a goodie two shoes. But that's also because much of what defines a "generic" superhero came from Superman. Superman is to superheroes what Lord of the Rings is to modern fantasy.

Just because he is a boring character doesn't mean you can't tell great stories with him, as many writers have proven.

I think that's what made All-Star Superman so good to me. His powers get amplified by 1000% but he's also only got a year to live so he has to decide what to do with that time. It makes for some really crazy fun throwbacky 50s sci-fi stories.

shoreu

But I can't say he's boring. Many perceive the flying brick archetype. Especially superman boring because he was the first.

However, I don't believe for a second that half the people who say that could really get into depth on the character. Half of them think he's op and can do anything, yet know nothing of his powerset , or that of his allies or his enemies.

Read American Alien, by Max Landis.

It's totally out of continuity but he writes Superman from the perspective that he is Clark Kent first and foremost, and is just a guy trying to do the right thing. Each issue so far (there's been 5 out of 7) is Clark at a different stage of growing up.

Also I'd recommend All-Star Superman, which is probably the best Superman series. It's also self-contained and made me love the character after being apathetic for the same reasons you are.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into those two series.

kurahador

I watched that MoS trailer 20+ times too....
cbN4NDD.gif

Thanks MoS, now I'm immune to BvS hype so I will enjoy it for sure.

Ashhong

I feel like watching some animated DC movies. What is the absolute top 2 movies I should watch? Specifically with Superman/Batman/Justice League

That's weird...since Deadpool's best writer Joe Kelly is also the best Superman writer.

Ok, I'm gonna have to stop you here.

Joe Kelly Deadpool is probably the single strongest Deadpool run, but calling him the best Superman author is a little insane.

I feel like watching some animated DC movies. What is the absolute top 2 movies I should watch? Specifically with Superman/Batman/Justice League

Batman: Under the Red Hood

Superman vs. the Elite

Are my top 2.

kswiston

I wonder how big it will be here in China. Its coming day on day with the US release.

Given what MoS and TDKR did in China, the growth of superhero films in China since then, and its release date, I would imagine that it's set to do quite well. $100M shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't be that surprised to see $150M+.

CLEEK

Man of Steel has a personal accolade with me as being the first film since Phantom Menace to have a massive disparity between its trailer and the final film. The Official Trailer 2 still gives me goose bumps watching it now, and got me crazy hyped for the movie before it released.

The actual film was such a bloated mess and let down.

jett

D-Member
Man of Steel has a personal accolade with me as being the first film since Phantom Menace to have a massive disparity between its trailer and the final film. The Official Trailer 2 still gives me goose bumps watching it now, and got me crazy hyped for the movie before it released.

MoS had simultaneously the best/worst trailers.

That shit was nothing less than an outright scam.

That is tough.

I think Doomed and Two Worlds are still my favorite.

Two Worlds & Flashpoint, I suppose. I don't want to leave out Captain Thunder and cool Aquaman.

Two Worlds has a really fantastic speech at the end by Owlman.

I really hope I end up enjoying Batman v Superman and hope it doesnt turn out like Man of Steel.

But fuck me for getting spoiled already over a specific scene in the movie. Seriously does spoilers freaking suck.

Ashhong

Looks like Under the Red Hood and Mask of the Phantasm are popular picks. But it doesn't look like Red Hood has Superman? I'm looking for some Batman/Superman interaction. Want to see how they deal with each other before BVS

I really hope I end up enjoying Batman v Superman and hope it doesnt turn out like Man of Steel.

But fuck me for getting spoiled already over a specific scene in the movie. Seriously does spoilers freaking suck.

Rise above the spoiler. Sublimate it. Imagine contingencies, how did it come to be, how will it play out, what will it effect afterwards. Construct a fiction surrounding the spoiler. And then, be surprised and amazed at how right and how wrong you were. Find joy in the journey.

Looks like Under the Red Hood and Mask of the Phantasm are popular picks. But it doesn't look like Red Hood has Superman? I'm looking for some Batman/Superman interaction. Want to see how they deal with each other before BVS

Batman/Superman: Public Enemies is the pick for you, then.

But seriously though, more people need to watch Superman vs. The Elite. Movie gets no respect.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Mask of the Phantasm
The Dark Knight Returns Part 2

Part 1 > 2

Mutant fight > BVS fight

Less of Millers terrible portrayal of Superman the better. :)

Also Superman vs the Elite is fantastic! Especially the ending.. Shows why Superman is so awesome being the goody two shoes he is.

There is still a chance of it going MOS route although early impressions indicate that is a very low possibility since almost every impression has been positive. All I can say is dont get your hope up and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out good.

Ashhong

Rise above the spoiler. Sublimate it. Imagine contingencies, how did it come to be, how will it play out, what will it effect afterwards. Construct a fiction surrounding the spoiler. And then, be surprised and amazed at how right and how wrong you were. Find joy in the journey.

Batman/Superman: Public Enemies is the pick for you, then.

But seriously though, more people need to watch Superman vs. The Elite. Movie gets no respect.

I like the sound of that. Gonna start with that, thanks!

duckroll

Yes, I was really shocked coming out of MoS because it wasn't just that I felt the movie disappointed, but that I felt the movie was not what the trailer promised in terms of tonal balance and execution. Really weird. I would love to see a MoS film that truly feels like the trailers.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
Flashpoint Paradox

For solo movies
Batman: Under the Red Hood
Mask of the Phantasm
Superman vs. The Elite

generic_username

Superman/Batman apocalypse is worth it especially for the amazing Wonder Woman fight.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Public Enemies is good, but the art design was atrocious, almost made me give up on it, but it was worth it in the end.

CLEEK

Yes, I was really shocked coming out of MoS because it wasn't just that I felt the movie disappointed, but that I felt the movie was not what the trailer promised in terms of tonal balance and execution. Really weird. I would love to see a MoS film that truly feels like the trailers.

That trailer has more emotional growth and a clearer character arc for Clark than the actual film. The film spent more time trying to be a sci-fi epic than a character piece, and Clark's formative years and relationship with his dad was watered down by being shown spread over multiple flashbacks. I was downright incredulous at the infamous tornado death scene, which was nonsensical on so many levels.

I'm sure with some brutal editing, a MoS that was in line with the trailer could be salvaged from the wreck of the cinematic release. There would still be a bunch of issue inherent to the screenplay, but a different director could have made a better film from the source material.

Incidentally, the one part of MoS that sticks in my craw the most is a single line of dialogue, which shows that the Goyer and Synder DNGAF about producing a coherent story. After Faora's fight with the the army, her pithy victory line of "as you know, evolution always wins" is entirely opposed to the plot of the film and what her character is fighting for. Zod wants to rebuild Kryptonian society that explicitly did away with evolution. But I guess the line sounds cool, so Zack "style over substance" Synder kept it in.

That trailer has more emotional growth and a clearer character arc for Clark than the actual film. The film spent more time trying to be a sci-fi epic than a character piece, and Clark's formative years and relationship with his dad was watered down by being shown spread over multiple flashbacks. I was downright incredulous at the infamous tornado death scene, which was nonsensical on so many levels.

I'm sure with some brutal editing, a MoS that was in line with the trailer could be salvaged from the wreck of the cinematic release. There would still be a bunch of issue inherent to the screenplay, but a different director could have made a better film from the source material.

Incidentally, the one part of MoS that sticks in my craw the most is a single line of dialogue, which shows that the Goyer and Synder DNGAF about producing a coherent story. After Faora's fight with the the army, her pithy victory line of "as you know, evolution always wins" is entirely opposed to the plot of the film and what her character is fighting for. Zod wants to rebuild Kryptonian society that explicitly did away with evolution. But I guess the line sounds cool, so Zack "style over substance" Synder kept it in.

I would like to direct you to a concept known as "unnatural selection." Aka selective breeding.

Also, you know that Snyder didn't write the movie, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom