• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman advance ticket sales outpacing The Avengers, Furious 7, Deadpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Going to put almost zero chance of BvS hitting $200m opening weekend. I think it will hit between $170m and $185 if word of mouth hits well.
170 with neutral to bad WoM. 200+ with positive WoM. Not sure where you got almost zero from.

Cooter

Almost zero chance that a Snyder movie has that sort of unanimous positive WoM though!
He's never had this good of a writer in combination with an excellent cast. I'd say that increases it at least a few percentage points.

Dead

well not really...yet
Snyder's movie could have the greatest fucking prose on earth, regardless, his sensibilities, influences and overall tone will never mesh with widespread acclaim/love. The dude simply cannot be a "company man" for the studio, his voice always comes out on top, whether the movie is good or bad.

Tabby

He's never had this good of a writer in combination with an excellent cast. I'd say that increases it at least a few percentage points.

Seems like some critics are already biased on hating it and with there being a lot of trolls already that seem so determined as to create twitter bots to spread bad word, I'm not optimistic on this getting unanimous praise or even good WOM.

Cooter

Seems like some critics are already biased on hating it and with there being a lot of trolls already that seem so determined as to create twitter bots to spread bad word, I'm not optimistic on this getting unanimous praise or even good WOM.
Maybe not a runaway critical success but overwhelming audience praise is very doable.

BadAss2961

Snyder's movie could have the greatest fucking prose on earth, regardless, his sensibilities, influences and overall tone will never mesh with widespread acclaim. The dude simply cannot be a "company man" his voice always comes out on top, whether the movie is good or bad.
Maybe. If critics don't feel him with this one, they never will.

Snyder also makes it harder for himself since he never goes for that safe, crowd-pleasing direction.

element

170 with neutral to bad WoM. 200+ with positive WoM. Not sure where you got almost zero from.
We shall see. After seeing Anthony Breznican from EW quick review on Twitter, I think the reviews and WoM will be mixed.

I can't believe there are people thinking this will "flop". I forget that there are people that think you're either "Top of All Time" or "A Dissapointment"
No one is saying it will be Pluto Nash, 47 Ronin, or Mars Needs Moms type flop, but more on the impact it will make for WB and the DC universe moving forward. If this trips, it wouldn't shock me if Snyder is asked to step aside and Justice League is delayed.

I figured crowds loved mindless destruction, Snyder should be their golden boy on that front.

Crowds do love mindless destruction. That's why the last two Transformers movies made $1.1bil worldwide. I think the difference between that and Man of Steel though was that MoS was so self-serious. Tonally off-putting to the mass audience. Audiences are less interested in mindless destruction when it comes packaged with 2 hours of dour character development.

duckroll

If this trips, it wouldn't shock me if Snyder is asked to step aside and Justice League is delayed.

I don't think this is a possibility at this point. Not for JL1. If they lose confidence later on, he might not return for JL2, but it's too late for WB to back out on this now regardless of what happens next week.

Self serious is perfectly fine.

It's problem was a clunky ass goyer script. Only diane lane and Kevin costner could salvage human sounding lines out of that

duckroll

Crowds do love mindless destruction. That's why the last two Transformers movies made $1.1bil worldwide. I think the difference between that and Man of Steel though was that MoS was so self-serious. Tonally off-putting to the mass audience. Audiences are less interested in mindless destruction when it comes packaged with 2 hours of dour character development.

I think Snyder's greatest weakness in a way, is that he has something to say but he doesn't quite know how to say it in the most effective way. So unlike "mindless" film makers who just make low expectation action films, Snyder's films all come with a message and a theme which demands the audience buying into it. So you can't really "turn your brain off" or whatever when watching a Snyder movie, even if the action is great (okay, maybe 300 is an exception), but at the same time he fumbles the execution of his message, so people who pay attention and are invested into the quality of writing can see all the flaws.

element

I don't think this is a possibility at this point. Not for JL1. If they lose confidence later on, he might not return for JL2, but it's too late for WB to back out on this now regardless of what happens next week.
I mean more asked to step aside as showrunner for the multiverse (the Fergie role). JL1 is probably locked, but if things don't turn out well I'd expect outside writers to come in and probably a hands on producer.

My sister, who has been resisting this movie for a long time because she dislikes Ben Affleck, saw the trailer for it before 10 Cloverfield Lane and said, "okay, yeah, that looks pretty badass. Plus Superman is still SO hot."

I think it's going to have pretty widespread appeal.

Not to mention that Snyder is a probably a swell guy to work for and has great connections. That goes a long way in a small, exclusive town like Hollywood. You don't get big movies taken away from you for delivering a turkey. You get big movies taken away from you for delivering a turkey and being a bag of dicks. See: Josh Trank.

duckroll

I mean more asked to step aside as showrunner for the multiverse (the Fergie role). JL1 is probably locked, but if things don't turn out well I'd expect outside writers to come in and probably a hands on producer.

Who though? It's easy to just speculate about "someone" replacing a known person, but the reason Snyder is the gatekeeper of the DCCU right now is because no one else wanted the job. It's a tough position, you need to know the DC universe intimately, and more importantly you need to be willing to spend like a decade of your life dedicated to this. Feige is in a unique position because he's a producer who a) loves Marvel, b) has the business sense for this, c) earned the trust of upper executives over a long period of time.

Who though?

izz0pvR.jpg
WVHfNMI.jpg

Hey guys. Heard you were making a superhero movie. Can we come?

Busty

Banned
Who though? It's easy to just speculate about "someone" replacing a known person, but the reason Snyder is the gatekeeper of the DCCU right now is because he's close with Warners' head of worldwide production and development Greg Silverman.

Fixed.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I wonder how much it'll make in the end.

I think it'll start extremely strong (it was always going to, anyone who said otherwise was nuts...it's Batman and Superman in the same movie for the first time) but be lucky to get to $1 billion. You need strong repeat business to hit a billion, and I don't know if droves of people will want to see this two or three times like they did with Star Wars, Avengers, and Deadpool.

This is very accurate. MoS would have needed a lot more fart jokes and gratuitous ass shots to be a 1:1 comparison to the Bay Transformers movies.

I wonder bats can pull it off

CdnGJP0UsAEtKR3.jpg
I'm hoping he pulls it off in the movie, always dug Bruce & Diana together. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I do agree with others that I don't like trailer 2, as I didn't see trailer 3. If trailer 2 had its last 30 seconds cut out, I think it would have been fatanstic personally. The end showing them together with the lame ass Marvel humor and TNMT Doomsday being in there and shown as well... Eh.. The beginning conversation with Bruce and Clark was fantastic until cringe Lex interrupted them.

icespide

Banned
I'm hoping he pulls it off in the movie, always dug Bruce & Diana together. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I do agree with others that I don't like trailer 2, as I didn't see trailer 3. If trailer 2 had its last 30 seconds cut out, I think it would have been fatanstic personally. The end showing them together with the lame ass Marvel humor and TNMT Doomsday being in there and shown as well... Eh.. The beginning conversation with Bruce and Clark was fantastic until cringe Lex interrupted them.

he looks like he's trying to hide an erection in this pic

Cooter

From the DCEU thread...

Updated tracking numbers from Mayimbe:

All numbers are first choice.

First Choice: 31% up from 23 two weeks ago and 25 a week ago. "That's blockbuster levels"

38% males under 25, 39% males over 25, 23% females under 25, 24% females over 25.

Teenagers 12-16: overall first choice 32%. Males - 44%, Females - 19%.

17-34 year olds: 30% overall. Males - 25%. Females - 24%.

Latinos: Overall indexing. Overall first choice - 36%. Young Males - 47%, older males - 25%, young females - 31%, older females - 42%. Big numbers.

African Americans: Over indexing. Overall first Choice - 38%. Young males - 46%, older males - 30%, young females - 40%, older females - 36%.

"I've never seen any numbers in the 40s since I started looking at tracking numbers."

He's predicting 175-185. If the film is good more. HH

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
From the DCEU thread...

Updated tracking numbers from Mayimbe:

All numbers are first choice.

First Choice: 31% up from 23 two weeks ago and 25 a week ago. "That's blockbuster levels"

38% males under 25, 39% males over 25, 23% females under 25, 24% females over 25.

Teenagers 12-16: overall first choice 32%. Males - 44%, Females - 19%.

17-34 year olds: 30% overall. Males - 25%. Females - 24%.

Latinos: Overall indexing. Overall first choice - 36%. Young Males - 47%, older males - 25%, young females - 31%, older females - 42%. Big numbers.

African Americans: Over indexing. Overall first Choice - 38%. Young males - 46%, older males - 30%, young females - 40%, older females - 36%.

"I've never seen any numbers in the 40s since I started looking at tracking numbers."

He's predicting 175-185. If the film is good more. HH

Yeah this is going to hit a billion....

I'll be laughing my ass off if it doesn't reach a billion.

Realistically speaking it should reach a billion but if it doesn't then that's some shit luck.

hal9001

Banned
Apparently someone that has seen it:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batma...n-of-justice-movie-review-no-spoilers-a132224

According to him The Dark Knight and Batman V Superman are going to be the next thing people debate over for best CBM in the DC world (like TDK on juice with meta humans in it but a bit more darker).

Story would be matching the complexity of the Nolan movies, but the action will surpass them as he said.

His advice was "forget what DC are doing on the TV side and forget Marvel as a platform for a bit and imagine the animated DC movies but with 2000 times better writing and visuals". He was upset that he was too busy fan boy-ing and couldn't get all the teases, but he will see the movie at least another 3 or 4 times so that is something to make up for in the future.

oh and Deadpool creator too:

https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/710530336195653632

Multiple sources telling me BVS is GREAT. Monday can’t get here soon enough.

CLEEK

I think Snyder's greatest weakness in a way, is that he has something to say but he doesn't quite know how to say it in the most effective way. So unlike "mindless" film makers who just make low expectation action films, Snyder's films all come with a message and a theme which demands the audience buying into it. So you can't really "turn your brain off" or whatever when watching a Snyder movie, even if the action is great (okay, maybe 300 is an exception), but at the same time he fumbles the execution of his message, so people who pay attention and are invested into the quality of writing can see all the flaws.

Synder's best films - as in the least bad - have had strong sources. 300 and Watchmen were for the most part, shot-for-shot adaptations of the graphic novels. James Gunn turned in a great screenplay for Dawn of the Dead, which was also the least stylistic work that Snyder has done.

Man of Steel was closer in quality to Sucker Punch. Poor screenplays that Synder's direction only made worse.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
No way the movie is better than Deadpool tho

Deadpool was mediocre so if this is worse it will be a sad day. A sad day when a movie starring the original GOAT is worse than a movie starring a stupid c tier hero with obnoxious jokes. But of course given MOS it is possible lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom