• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Max:30 Week 2, Day 1: Cardio Challenge + Ab Attack 10

I have a cold. Had a low-grade fever on Saturday & have been sneezing & congested off & on since, so Pulse and my rest day were welcome. But, the schedule marches on so I pushed through.

Cardio Challenge is a beast, but I thought I did pretty well. I modified quite a bit in the last 10 minutes, but I feel like I still pushed hard and took fewer breaks than last week, and I finished strong. Max Out time was around 6:30.

Ab Attack 10: This is a short workout but a tough one. It's 10 core-focused moves, each done for a full minute. The moves alternate between seated and plank. My Max Out time was somewhere in Minute 4, during the Switch Kick Abs (alternate leg raises with opposite fist punch, on your back). The last move is 60 seconds in a V sit position while rapidly drumming your fists on your stomach. I think everyone in the video bailed out at some point during that one :)

Anyway I think I could have pushed harder had I not had the cold, but all things considered I'm happy with my effort.

anyone bought one of the qualifying titles off teambeachbody.com will it take to appear on Beachbody on demand? like if you bought it after BOD went live.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
anyone bought one of the qualifying titles off teambeachbody.com will it take to appear on Beachbody on demand? like if you bought it after BOD went live.

Which program is it? I saw Focus T25 show up for me immediately, but I'd already owned it. I'm not sure about if you bought it after, I'll ask around.

Pyrokai

Why is Sweat Intervals by far the hardest one for me? I've been crushing the Tabata ones and Cardio Challenge, but I just can't do Sweat Intervals. I actually did worse this week than last. Friday Night Fight isn't even as hard for me!

Craziness!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
January 8, 2012 - March 29, 2015

CQ7tNup.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I couldn't muster the will to do Plymetrics yesterday, but didn't want to skip a workout, so I did the P90 Cardio Intervals that also came with P90-X. Tough, but not Plyo tough.

i feel more energize when i laze around all day and then work out than trying to work out after work even when i had all my meals and drank. maybe i should laze around at work too ;D

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Are you seeing your workout yet? Assuming it's a qualifying program it should appear within 48 hours of purchase. Here's the FAQ:

PURCHASED PROGRAMS LIBRARY
What is a digital entitlement? It gives Premium Club members access to a digital version of their DVD purchase.
What programs qualify for a digital entitlement for Premium Club members? 21 Day Fix, 21 Day Fix Extreme, and Focus T25.
Must the program be purchased from Beachbody? Beachbody, Team Beachbody, and Beachbody Amazon storefront purchases qualify.
Is there a time limit on when the program must have been purchased? No. All qualifying prior purchases will grant access to the digital entitlement.
Will all future purchases of programs receive digital entitlement? Yes. All qualifying future purchases will grant access to the digital entitlement.
Will Groupon, QVC, or DVDs given as gifts have the entitlement? No. At this time those purchases do not qualify for the digital entitlement.
Must a full program be purchased to receive the entitlement? No. Entitlement access is given for the portion of the fitness program purchased.
Once purchased, when will the program appear in 'Purchased Programs?' 48 hours from the time of purchase.
Will the Purchased Programs section appear for all Premium members? No. It only appears if the user has made a qualifying digital entitlement DVD purchase.
Where can access or digital entitlement issues be reported? Contact On Demand Support 24/7 by calling 1-800-240-0913 option 4 (Tech Support).
Are Team Beachbody Exclusive workouts available On Demand? No. Those workouts can only be purchased through a Coach on TeamBeachbody.com.
What determines a member's access to base and deluxe workouts? Customers will have access only to the workouts contained in the kit(s) they purchased.

Does anyone know when they are going to start letting you stream more programs On Demand if you buy the set? I'm now on the road 4 days a week for work so I bought BB On Demand to do Insanity and T25, but I've found myself doing the trial for Sweat Intervals Max:30 every other day just because it's something new and really, really challenges me. I want to buy the full Max:30 package, but don't feel like carrying all the DVDs in my limited carry-on space.

Bollocks

started month 2 of Insanity today and yes feels good to be back, this is the Insanity I love. I'm done for the day even though I'm no stranger but this time the buildup to month 2 felt way better and as a result I could push harder which left me exhausted more than ever.
Normally I'm at this level when I'm about 2 weeks into month 2. I feel hype can't wait to finish it and see what the results are. I also bought a EZ curl bar and weights to do body beast right after.

LaneDS

Did X2 Core for the first time in maybe close to two years and good lord, that did not go as well as I expected. Very hard for me to do a lot of the moves and was wiped by the end of it after 12 weeks of X1. I welcome the challenge though.

LaneDS

Double posting!

Tried X3 complex upper today after doing HIIT sprints outside and good lord that's a beast. No idea how they hang through all of that and I was doing modified moves (instead of X plyo pushups, just was doing wide push-ups so my neighbors don't kill me). Nice little taste of X3 although I don't plan to do the whole program anytime soon. Complimented the sprints nicely though.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Wow @ Tabata Strength. I guess "no official water breaks" is a taste of what I can expect in Month 2 :) Hardest move to get right was the "touch the floor spin Plyo lunge" move, and those cross-leg push-ups were interesting too. But damn. Holy push-ups, Batman!

Max out about 6:10, but I didn't start taking "real" breaks until about 10:30 or so.

This workout would be ideal training for a Tough Mudder or Spartan/obstacle course race.

Going to be doing insanity again and I want to be on a meal plan throughout the entire thing. Been eating way too much junk food lately.

Any recommendations for building one?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Did a month of P90X1 again. Today I'm going to start P90X3 to finally get through it.

Question, how do you get over the counter-intuitive feeling that you need to eat more in order to lose weight? My BMR says 2150 calories, but I typically end up eating around 1700 a day and don't see much for results. I keep reading you need to eat more to lose, but it's hard because I also keep hearing "keep your calories in less than out" so I try to eat as few as possible, and skip snacks, to get where I need to be.

MyFitnessPal, where I track my calories, says 1500 (before adding the workout in) should be good, but I feel like the web is telling me otherwise.

Will I really lose more weight eating 2100 calories a day compared to 1600?

In short, no. You might lose more fat (rather than muscle) though.

As with most things, your best best is actually trying different levels for a while and seeing how you get on. No point in dropping to particularly low numbers if you can't stick with it or if it makes you feel like shit.

Tash

Wow @ Tabata Strength. I guess "no official water breaks" is a taste of what I can expect in Month 2 :) Hardest move to get right was the "touch the floor spin Plyo lunge" move, and those cross-leg push-ups were interesting too. But damn. Holy push-ups, Batman!

Max out about 6:10, but I didn't start taking "real" breaks until about 10:30 or so.

This workout would be ideal training for a Tough Mudder or Spartan/obstacle course race.

IKR?!

Tash

Oh by the way, since we talked about proper form and also that Insanity in general can be hard on your joints (that's especially because you do a lot of the best exercises that you can do for working out but also a bit fast sometimes. On top of this, those exercises are done very wrongly most of the time.

I found this write-up which covers a lot of them and gives some helpful tips that are indeed very true (and approved by my PT ;))

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/10-exercises-people-have-been-doing-wrong.html

In regards to the squat discussion earlier on:
The crew in the video (including Shaun), stick out there asses way too much to compensate for lacking flexibility. Don't get me wrong, I do it the same way because of missing ankle and calf flexibility but I was really surprised how many of them really have troubles with proper form.

This is how it should be done :D

Good-squat-form.jpg

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
looks like they added 2 more on demand works to BOD. Rev abs and Tai cheng.

Also Asylum Volume 2 and P90X One-on-One Volume 2.

Plus last week they added PiYo to the Purchased Programs library, and Body Beast: Chest/Tris is a fairly recent addition to the sample workouts list. They seem to have a nice rate of expanding the program.

Also Asylum Volume 2 and P90X One-on-One Volume 2.

Plus last week they added PiYo to the Purchased Programs library, and Body Beast: Chest/Tris is a fairly recent addition to the sample workouts list. They seem to have a nice rate of expanding the program.

so far the sub is worth it even if i only do one program. it's nice to have all these lol.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I did a month of P90X and then jumped over to X3 this week. Interesting to see the differences in the programs (when I previously did both they were a year or two apart). I almost like X3 more, it cuts out the crazy long warm ups and long explanations of all the moves by Tony. It also cuts out the basic moves at the beginning of each set.

I kind of feel like I get a better, more concise workout with X3, even in half the time. Oh, and I did The Challenge (push-ups/pull-ups) last night followed by Yoga and that was rough.

Another thing, I find it odd that I am essentially 6 weeks into doing P90X programs regularly again and I haven't lost a pound. I feel like I look a lot better in the mirror, and I can tell my arms are getting more definition, but at 6', 220lbs I figured I'd lose a bit.

Oh well, I guess it's more in appearance and feel than the scale # right?

EDIT:
Also, I posted a new thread about the streaming sub. I'll update the OP too.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=159444085#post159444085

Is there a product description matrix of all the different workout video packages? The streaming deal seems pretty solid but my wife and I tend to do living room workouts with just resistance bands and a yoga mat. I was curious to see if I could quickly figure out which workouts would apply to working out in an open room, with just resistance bands. No pull up bar or door jam to tether yourself too. I don't want to subscribe only to find that 95% of the workouts will require the purchasing of additional equipment or be completely incompatible with our living space.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Is there a product description matrix of all the different workout video packages? The streaming deal seems pretty solid but my wife and I tend to do living room workouts with just resistance bands and a yoga mat. I was curious to see if I could quickly figure out which workouts would apply to working out in an open room, with just resistance bands. No pull up bar or door jam to tether yourself too. I don't want to subscribe only to find that 95% of the workouts will require the purchasing of additional equipment or be completely incompatible with our living space.

Required Equipment:
Insanity: No equipment
Turbo Fire: No equipment except for a yoga mat & "thigh firming band" for one workout
Brazil Butt Lift: Strength band, Resistance bands/free weights
P90X: Resistance bands or free weights; a way to do or simulate pull-ups
P90X2: Resistance bands or free weights; a way to do or simulate pull-ups, stability ball, at least 2 medicine balls, foam roller
P90X3: Resistance bands or free weights; a way to do or simulate pull-ups
P90X One on One vol 1: Dumbbells or resistance bands, a way to do or simulate pull-ups, medicine ball
Chalene Extreme: Weights or resistance bands, thigh toning band
Hip Hop Abs: No equipment
Ten Minute Trainer: Resistance band
Asylum Vol. 1: Agility ladder, dumbbells or resistance bands, strength bands, speed rope
Asylum Vol. 2: Agility ladder, jump rope, dumbbells
Rev Abs: Dumbbells or resistance bands, yoga mat
Tai Cheng: Foam roller

Here's my sign-up link, if you want me as your Coach :)

Required Equipment:
Insanity: No equipment
Turbo Fire: No equipment except for a yoga mat & "thigh firming band" for one workout
Brazil Butt Lift: Strength band, Resistance bands/free weights
P90X: Resistance bands or free weights; a way to do or simulate pull-ups
P90X2: Resistance bands or free weights; a way to do or simulate pull-ups, stability ball, at least 2 medicine balls, foam roller
P90X3: Resistance bands or free weights; a way to do or simulate pull-ups
P90X One on One vol 1: Dumbbells or resistance bands, a way to do or simulate pull-ups, medicine ball
Chalene Extreme: Weights or resistance bands, thigh toning band
Hip Hop Abs: No equipment
Ten Minute Trainer: Resistance band
Asylum Vol. 1: Agility ladder, dumbbells or resistance bands, strength bands, speed rope
Asylum Vol. 2: Agility ladder, jump rope, dumbbells
Rev Abs: Dumbbells or resistance bands, yoga mat
Tai Cheng: Foam roller

Here's my sign-up link, if you want me as your Coach :)

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

ShowDog

Why is Sweat Intervals by far the hardest one for me? I've been crushing the Tabata ones and Cardio Challenge, but I just can't do Sweat Intervals. I actually did worse this week than last. Friday Night Fight isn't even as hard for me!

Craziness!

Sweat intervals just destroys your legs in the first 5 minutes. Its my least favorite so far, because I don't know how you're supposed to do the rest of the exercises. I know it's all about MAXING OUT but runners don't get into shape by sprinting balls out until they puke and walking the rest of their route. I'm in week 2 and unsure about this Max 30 program, but it's my first attempt at one of these workout videos so I'm probably behind where they are hoping. I think stopping for a minute every 5 mins would work better but this shit just keeps going.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Sweat intervals just destroys your legs in the first 5 minutes. Its my least favorite so far, because I don't know how you're supposed to do the rest of the exercises. I know it's all about MAXING OUT but runners don't get into shape by sprinting balls out until they puke and walking the rest of their route. I'm in week 2 and unsure about this Max 30 program, but it's my first attempt at one of these workout videos so I'm probably behind where they are hoping. I think stopping for a minute every 5 mins would work better but this shit just keeps going.

I had Sweat Intervals today, in fact. Week 4 for me.

I don't think any of the Insanity workouts are specifically targeted at runners -- they're meant to be full-body, intense, strength & endurance builders. They're more like training for a Tough Mudder or Spartan race than for a long distance steady-state run.

But yeah it's supposed to be incredibly hard. You are supposed to fail, a lot. But the key is that when you do, you take a couple seconds to catch your breath and try to get back into it as quickly as you can.

Today I took a short break in the first section of push-up punches because I couldn't remember if I was supposed to alternate or not, and then I maxed out for real around 8:30. After that, I took a lot of breaks when I needed to -- catch my breath, grab a sip of water, shake out my legs, etc. but I kept getting back into it as quickly as I could.

I also will sometimes go into the modified move INSTEAD of taking the break. And I modified MOST of my switch kick punches after that first set, including at the end of the workout. And I was wiped out when the first hit the floor section came up and missed maybe the first 20 seconds of it in a break.

And I'm not always going at the same pace as some of the people in the video.

BUT -- I always try to get back into it as quickly as I can, and I always try to do just a little bit more than the previous time.

Just do your best. Success here is born out of failure and pushing that extra rep/extra 5 seconds wherever you can. And remember, you're not trying to compete with the people in the video -- it's all about YOU.

Tash

We started over because I got a really, REALLY bad flue and I was also in San Francisco for Work for a week..incidentially we also had Sweat Intervals yesterday evening. It's my most hated workout of the first month for sure.

I totally agree (and do exactly the same) with what Steve said. My legs are my weakest part and thus, yeah..that day is absolute hell for me.

I did notice that there is a pattern in all Shaun T does in Max 30. It's a re-occurring theme that he starts with the toughest exercises, even in Tabata Power you always start with the toughest and most complex of the exercise then go gradually easier. In my mind it does make a lot of sense. You are the least fatigued at the start and can do the hardest workouts easier. Imagine if you are already way in, tired and then you have to go with the toughest in the end.

Bollocks

During warmup am I the only one who finds 1-2-3 step to be the hardest move?
I swear I dread that move, there's just something about it that makes it super hard.
All other moves during the warmup are no problem, in fact I like pushing them to the max but 1-2-3 step even during the first round sucks.

Tash

During warmup am I the only one who finds 1-2-3 step to be the hardest move?
I swear I dread that move, there's just something about it that makes it super hard.
All other moves during the warmup are no problem, in fact I like pushing them to the max but 1-2-3 step even during the first round sucks.

I find it very easy but there are others I have really big troubles with (everything including high jumps or high kicks with punches). It just means it uses muscles or combination of muscles that you are weak with :) Maybe something with your Obliques since the rotation in your arms together with the hip flexor work is quite tough on your core (and shoulders) Obviously what you need the most to improve. Or maybe I just have a leftover from when I did the original Insanity. You do that move A LOT there.

Pyrokai

Hey guys,

I know this isn't a medical thread, but I was wondering if anyone here has ever experienced a rash after a rough workout? I've been doing these workouts for about 2 years now and this is the first time I've experienced this....

Basically, I did Max Out Sweat for the first time, and right after the cool down my back started getting all stingy-feeling. I noticed my back wasn't wet with sweat, but the rest of my body was soaked. I took off my shirt and then took a shower, and after my shower I noticed a bit of a rash. It's not BAD, it's not HUGE, but it's on my upper back and it has me a little concerned. It's completely textureless, as well.

I did some research and saw that heat rash is a real thing, but my symptoms don't line up (it's not bumps and it's not in the most-common areas). Before I start to worry, I thought I'd ask if this is something anyone here has experienced before.....

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I haven't had that happen. If it were me, I'd give it a day or two, maybe take some Benadryl, and see if it spreads or becomes uncomfortable, and if it does see a doctor.

Rest day tomorrow, and then on Tuesday, the dreaded Month Two begins! :)

Pyrokai

I haven't had that happen. If it were me, I'd give it a day or two, maybe take some Benadryl, and see if it spreads or becomes uncomfortable, and if it does see a doctor.

Rest day tomorrow, and then on Tuesday, the dreaded Month Two begins! :)

Okay...I hope it's nothing serious. I'd hate to deal with a recurring case of heat rash or something :\

I'm in the middle of my first week of Month Two! Max Out Cardio isn't too bad, but be prepared for a sore chest after Max Out Power. Dem push ups. Max Out Sweat was also pretty hard as far as cardio, but I know I'll get better. It FEELS like I'm starting the program all over again in the sense that I'm performing about the same as I did in my first week of Month One, but I know I'm doing much, much harder work. So I was a little discouraged this week, but once I keep that in mind I realize I've actually made a ton of progress. Toward the end of last month I was barely taking any breaks.

sirap

Jesus, T-25 + Tim Ferriss's slow carb diet is a really powerful combo. Lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks, and I feel fantastic.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Doing P90X3 again as I noted before, question. Those of you that use bands for pull-ups, do you kneel or stand? I feel like kneeling gives me closer to a straight-down angle, but most the videos have the people standing, which sometimes feels like more of a workout.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Doing P90X3 again as I noted before, question. Those of you that use bands for pull-ups, do you kneel or stand? I feel like kneeling gives me closer to a straight-down angle, but most the videos have the people standing, which sometimes feels like more of a workout.

I do them in "rocket launcher" stance, one foot forward with knee bent at 90 degrees, straight line from my shoulders to my extended heel. I move far enough back that there's tension in the bands when my arms are extended.

LaneDS

Had a chance to try Insanity Max 30 this weekend and did the modified Tabata Power workout, which even modified is still a killer. Really have missed being able to do those types of workouts (still really can't at home, but now knowing there's a modified track for some, possibly all (?) of the workouts makes me want to try).

What are the differences between Tabata Power and Tabata... Strength? Whatever the other one is.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I do them in "rocket launcher" stance, one foot forward with knee bent at 90 degrees, straight line from my shoulders to my extended heel. I move far enough back that there's tension in the bands when my arms are extended.

That's how I usually do them. Knees seem to give a better angle though, which is why I asked.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Month two, day one complete! Max Cardio. Max out time about 5:11, a quick child's pose during a plank move then right back into it.

Intense workout! I'd put it as maybe slightly easier than Sweat Intervals, mostly because it has breaks every 5 minutes. The only move I had difficulty with was the balance kick backs, where you hop on one leg while bringing your other knee and elbows in, and then hop again while extending your arms & other leg. Coordination will come with practice :)

Overall I'm pretty happy with my effort. I took breaks here & there but got back to it as quickly as I could, modified only occasionally.

First day of T25 today. Had to do the low impact versions of most things, but I made it through! Looking forward to more.

Question about diet - I am in Bangkok, Thailand for the next month and a half, and don't have a kitchen. What should I do nutrition-wise? Everything's got rice and oil. I suppose I can count calories, but then I'd be eating stuff from 7-11's freezer section. Maybe just do intermittent fasting? Will that help?

First day of T25 today. Had to do the low impact versions of most things, but I made it through! Looking forward to more.

Question about diet - I am in Bangkok, Thailand for the next month and a half, and don't have a kitchen. What should I do nutrition-wise? Everything's got rice and oil. I suppose I can count calories, but then I'd be eating stuff from 7-11's freezer section. Maybe just do intermittent fasting? Will that help?

Rice and oil with some veggies and a little protein (meat or tofu) won't hurt you if you watch your portions. Many Asian countries have consume a huge percentage of their calories from rice and yet their populace are still thinner than most Western countries.

Rice and oil with some veggies and a little protein (meat or tofu) won't hurt you if you watch your portions. Many Asian countries have consume a huge percentage of their calories from rice and yet their populace are still thinner than most Western countries.

I think that is the trick... I love to eat a lot! I've been good the last few days, though. Hopefully I can keep it up.

Hey Gaf,

I was in this thread about a year and a half ago doing Insanity. Not sure if anyone remembers, but I pulled a hamstring, took a break, then repulled it after starting again and had to stop for good with only a week or so left :(

Well about 2 and a half months ago I decided it was time to start again, this time with Max 30. Luckily my dodgy legs held out this time and I was able to finish it fine. I kept meaning to post in this thread but never got round to it, so here're my before and after pics in case anyone cares :)

Before
After

I'm petty damn happy with the results :) My cardio Challenge max out time went from 7:11 on day 1 to 18:33 on day 55.

Anyway, I finished a couple of weeks ago and have spent the time since then exercising occasionally but pretty much eating like crap again, so I'm gonna get back on it this Monday and start again! Feels like more of a challenge this time as I've already done it, but usually once I get started with something like this I do everything I can to see it through to the end (which is how I ended up injuring myself so badly the first time).

The main reason I'm posting on here, other than to say hello and check-in with you guys (hoping to get my name into that second post this time ;) ), is to ask how an Insanity regime works alongside other sport? I'm planning on playing badminton on Mondays, running club on Thursdays, airsoft/a 5k run on Saturdays, whatever else pops up alongside Insanity. Will this just completely and utterly make me burn out or is it possible? I plan to do Insanity in the morning before work and then whatever else at the end of the day.

Doable, or am I just going to burn out horrendously?

Korosenai

Just heard about the new beach body on demand program they're doing... Very interesting. 30 day free trial as well. I might actually get to try p90x3 now.

Top Bottom