• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Nelo Ice

Banned
I can't stress enough how much you should STICK WITH IT.

If you haven't done serious cardio work in awhile before starting, your first night of Plyo will kick your ass.

It will.

But please, don't get discouraged...it gets easier and you will be amazed with how much easier it becomes as weeks go by.

Yup, I went from dying after every plyo to just powering through it and wondering why it was so hard in the first place.

Only problem is I don't have a lot of money and dumbells cost a fuck ton of money

I use my college gym as a substitute, but I would of course much rather work out in the comfort of my own home.

I recommend these. If 50 lbs isn't enough, there is a heavier version but way more expensive. However, I will say though that apparently dumbbells have really good resale value apparently as my friends were able to unload theirs for at least 3/4 their cost when they moved.

Yup, I went from dying after every plyo to just powering through it and wondering why it was so hard in the first place.

If you want to intensify it, I highly suggest 2.5- 5 lbs ankle weights... Makes a huge difference..

Le-mo

Lean program...meaning normal cardio exercises ?

The exercises in P90X are split into three programs; normal, lean, and bulk-up if I remember correctly. Look into the included booklet. Lean is easier since it is cardio based.

The exercises in P90X are split into three programs; normal, lean, and bulk-up if I remember correctly. Look into the included booklet. Lean is easier since it is cardio based.

Classic,
Doubles- you add a Cardio routine to all the weight training days from week 5 on
Lean- More cardio less weights..

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I need some new dumbbells. Mine are round ones that you unscrew a cap, put a new weight, and screw back on. Way too much to do on the fly, plus I can't use them as push up bars. I think 10's, 15's, and 20's should be plenty for me right now.

Le-mo

Classic,
Doubles- you add a Cardio routine to all the weight training days from week 5 on
Lean- More cardio less weights..

Yah, I forgot the names since I finished it and lent it to a friend.

Edit: Just wanted to post a picture of my room-gym set up that I have specifically for P90X/P90X2.
382971_308478145862505_100001009655214_912621_1069977918_n.jpg

Anth0ny

P90X Gaf Graduates:
Deadly Cyclone
Nightz
Nelo Ice
Pr0cs
NoRen
Infinite_Daremo
Ryutaro's mama
III Saint
DR2K
Le-mo
Bildocube
f-castrillo
Slayer-33
Anth0ny

Added.

Lately, I've been really bored at the gym. I think it's time for round 2 of P90x.

Edit: Just wanted to post a picture of my room-gym set up that I have specifically for P90X/P90X2.

What weight sizes do you have? I current own a set of 12's, 15's, 20's, 25's and 30's. Was wondering if these will be good enough for P90x2?

I tried P90x a while back, but I didn't have the diligence to continue with it. :( That was about a few years back.

Now, I'm trying the Power90 routine to ease myself into the process. At the moment I just finished day 15 (Sculpt 1-2). I do stop for about a minute between each exercise just to catch my breath, which is probably not a good thing (perhaps related to the pectus excavatum that I have?). However, I'm still pushing that play button that Tony keeps telling me to do.

It's still some time away, but after this set, I'm planning on moving next to Power90 Master series so that I can prepare myself for the murder that is P90X Plyo.

Le-mo

What weight sizes do you have? I current own a set of 12's, 15's, 20's, 25's and 30's. Was wondering if these will be good enough for P90x2?

I have sets of 10's, 15's, 20's, 25's and 30's. I'm only midway through the 1st month of P90X2 and right now there is no need for any heavier weights than the ones you currently have. I looked at the second month of P90X2 and it is more weight-focused so the weights that you will need is really based on the amount you can lift. I am looking to purchase a sets of 35's and 40's for next month's workout.

NoRéN

If you want to intensify it, I highly suggest 2.5- 5 lbs ankle weights... Makes a huge difference..
Don't know why I never thought of this. Will definitely try this from now on.

Love that set up. Simple yet everything is all right there within reach.

Can't wait to move next month and have more room to try and set up something of an exercise area.

I tried P90x a while back, but I didn't have the diligence to continue with it. :( That was about a few years back.

Now, I'm trying the Power90 routine to ease myself into the process. At the moment I just finished day 15 (Sculpt 1-2). I do stop for about a minute between each exercise just to catch my breath, which is probably not a good thing (perhaps related to the pectus excavatum that I have?). However, I'm still pushing that play button that Tony keeps telling me to do.

It's still some time away, but after this set, I'm planning on moving next to Power90 Master series so that I can prepare myself for the murder that is P90X Plyo.
When I first started, all exercises kicked my ass. No way could i keep up. However, instead of pausing to catch my breath I let the videos play and made my goal to eventually catch up. It worked and it feels damn good when you finally complete a workout without a pause.

Recon

Banned
NoRéN;34331516 said:
Don't know why I never thought of this. Will definitely try this from now on.

Love that set up. Simple yet everything is all right there within reach.

Can't wait to move next month and have more room to try and set up something of an exercise area.

When I first started, all exercises kicked my ass. No way could i keep up. However, instead of pausing to catch my breath I let the videos play and made my goal to eventually catch up. It worked and it feels damn good when you finally complete a workout without a pause.

This is what I am doing. I do not pause, I just write down what I can do, and hope I can improve on them next week.

DR2K

Banned
Only problem is I don't have a lot of money and dumbells cost a fuck ton of money

I use my college gym as a substitute, but I would of course much rather work out in the comfort of my own home.

Are you going to let a few dollars get in the way of a better body though? You don't exactly have to break the bank for a pair of 30-40lbs.

LordK

I'm on phase 2 of x2 now... kinda didn't feel like doing 3 weeks of phase 1. :p

I'm running 5-6 miles 5 days a week too. I just finished my second "chest + back" day.

I've always had a weak back since I never did pull ups so I couldn't do any when I first started. Now I can do about 6 chin ups and like.. 2.5 pull ups, haha.

I hope the massive change in my body will come as it has for other people. So far I have a little more definition, but nothing to really gloat about.

NoRéN

This is what I am doing. I do not pause, I just write down what I can do, and hope I can improve on them next week.
First week I think I was able to get 1 push up in. Diamonds, military, and paratrooper, I went down and that's it. So, made my goal to actually do one. Feels good, man.

I would appreciate if more people could post pics of their set ups. Would love to get ideas.

I'm on phase 2 of x2 now... kinda didn't feel like doing 3 weeks of phase 1. :p

I'm running 5-6 miles 5 days a week too. I just finished my second "chest + back" day.

I've always had a weak back since I never did pull ups so I couldn't do any when I first started. Now I can do about 6 chin ups and like.. 2.5 pull ups, haha.

I hope the massive change in my body will come as it has for other people. So far I have a little more definition, but nothing to really gloat about.
Focus on your improvements no matter how small. Focus on the positive. The improvements will come especially since you are running so damn much.

Recon

Banned
NoRéN;34332931 said:
First week I think I was able to get 1 push up in. Diamonds, military, and paratrooper, I went down and that's it. So, made my goal to actually do one. Feels good, man.

I would appreciate if more people could post pics of their set ups. Would love to get ideas.

Focus on your improvements no matter how small. Focus on the positive. The improvements will come especially since you are running so damn much.

I can do about 10 of each push up during the first round. I can barely do 3-5 during the second round. My goal is to get 10 of each during each round next week. Im 260lbs right now, hoping to get to around 200lbs after 6 months of doing p90x.

mm04

I'm a grad as well. Just started week 19 of P90X and still not fading.

Here's the equipment that I use:

Body Vision PT600 Power Tower in combination with a Pullup Revolution. This really helps with assisted pull-ups as opposed to using a chair.

A set of Bodylastics Max Tension Resistance Bands. I use these for rows, flys, heavy pants and simulated pull-ups as well. For pull-ups, I double them up with the black and blue bands at the same time. That provides some pretty heavy resistance for me. On occassion I'll use them for curls when I need an odd weight, but I prefer dumbells for the most part.

I use free weights for arms as well as legs and back day. You'll need weights for the calf raises and the buttload of lunges you have to do. Having a heavier weight available is also a must for lawnmowers. If I have one tip regarding buying weights/dumbells, you really should get some "odd" weights that end in 5. There's nothing worse than when you're in between weights and 10 pounds is too light and 20 pounds is too heavy. That's typically when I turn to the bands to find that in between resistance, but I hate to break my rhythm by trying to find that resistance that I want.

I did half of round one without push up bars, but in the end, I felt I needed these. I ended up buying them because by the time I got to Yoga, my wrists were so screwed, it was painful to get from chaturanga to upward-facing dog. It really helps a lot to use these on heavy push up days to spare yourself the strain from when you have to do a million upward-facing dogs which to this day still do a number on my right wrist on occassion.

I think it's an absolute necessity to religously track your food intake. Get some sort of app for your phone or create an account on Livestrong.com or MyFitnessPal and make sure that you're completely honest with yourself and enter everything you eat and when you eat it. Tracking your food consumption makes you accountable to your daily diet. You'll have a visual account of the days you ate too much and the days you ate too little. When you plateau or unexpectedly gain, you'll be able to see if your eating habits had anything to do with it. I think what some of you will realize is that you're not eating enough. That was a mental barrier I had to overcome, but I had to force myself to get my body used to eating 300 to 500 more calories than what I had trained my body to consume daily. You've got to eat over your BMR, at the very least. Otherwise your body goes into starvation mode and that's counter-productive to what P90X is trying to accomplish.

I personally didn't follow the nutrition guide. You can do that and still get results. You may not get CottonBaller results, but I still got pretty good results by just making sure I stayed within my caloric ranges and not eating twinkies and ding dongs every other day as part of it.

Here are some of my Go To food items:

CJ Mini Wontons. I LOVE these things. 50 calories per 4 and very low fat and cholesterol. When I'm in between meals, I'll eat 12 of these things as a snack and be satisfied for the next meal. I fry them in olive oil and then refridgerate whatever I don't eat. They're better fried then reheated by microwave than just cooked by microwave oven right off the bat. Costco is where I buy them.

Muscle Milk Light Chocolate Shake is my go to recovery drink. I have one of these 4 times a week or so. I typically only drink them on strength days and after I do Plyo.

CLIF Builder's bar is also something that I eat when I need a snack and I want to pound protein.

Red seedless grapes. Prior to P90X, I didn't eat a lot of fruit, but I make grapes my snack when I need a little sugar. Very low and calories, even in mass quantities.

Eggo Fiber Plus waffle with peanut butter and sugar free jelly. One of my favorite snacks when I'm feeling like eating something "bad" like a dessert or something. Filling and less than 200 calories.

My regular go to meal on cardio days is whole wheat pasta with tomato alfredo sauce and 5 beef meatballs. Try and find that one meal that you don't get sick of that's easy to make. For me, this worked for consistency's sake and I'm still not sick of it. I have it probably 2 or 3 times a week.

Anyway, a few final tips before I end this post. For people who don't think they have the time to do P90X, do an honest inventory of the hours you spend daily on everything. For me, I found that I spent time surfing the net or watching tv that I could use for exercise instead. It's more important to me to be fit than to spend that 1 extra hour a day being a desk jockey or couch potato.

Also, talk about P90X to your friends and family. You'll get encouragement and feedback from them and you'll be less likely to flake out if others know that you're doing the program. And when the results come, there will be no shortage of compliments from them.

For beginners, don't give up and modify like a motherfucker if you have to. Like Tony says, do your best and forget the rest. If you give any kind of effort, there's no way you won't see results. In time, you'll be able to give the kind of effort the people on the DVD do and you'll laugh at how you felt the first or second time you did that particular exercise or routine. Can't do pull-ups? Use resistance bands. Can't do push-ups? Do them on your knees. In time, you'll be able to, but start with a modified activity and work your way up. You will get stronger and you will get more fit.

Oh and take a picture and measure yourself early on. Don't worry too much about what the scale says. Your body will transform in ways that aren't apparent on a scale. I barely lost any weight the first 3 weeks of the program but I knew things were happening because my seat belt fit differently. Little things like that are telltale signs that things are changing for the better. Good luck!

Recon

Banned
^^ Great post. I wanna try some of your food suggestions, I need variety, as I know I will get sick of what I am eating eventually.

Add me to the list of grads as well....currently trying to power through round 2. My biggest problem is that I can't eat 2400 good calories...I can certainly eat double that in bad calories though. I dropped 20 lbs in my first round (165- 142) with the bulk of that weight loss occurring in phase 3. When I started, I couldnt do a single pull up so don't get discouraged of you can't do much at first. Best part of p90x for me wasn't the cosmetic improvements but rather the performance gains. Losing that weight and strengthening my core/balance actually helped with my chronic ankle issues. I was able to ditch my ankle braces..

Keep the food suggestion coming...I've just been using the guide so in terms of snacks, I've been just eating a combo of beef jerky,turkey jerky, oranges, almonds, apples and yogurt( not all at once...just a variety). I also make egg white omelettes/sandwiches as egg whites are not only better for you but they're also quicker to prepare. Ditch sodas as it is the only consumable product with a direct correlation to obesity. Also, build in a cheat day. You'll go insane without one.

Where did you get those wall brackets? My P90X bar won't fit in the stupid Georgian archways our house has so I have to go upstairs to do pull ups now then go back downstairs for the rest of the exercise.

NoRéN

Too bad that you need to buy all that gear first... Might as well go to the gym.

Really? Too bad you have to buy a medicine ball, resistance belts, and a pull up bar(which can be substituted by resistance belts)? Sure, ok.

Infinite_Daremo said:
Where did you get those wall brackets? My P90X bar won't fit in the stupid Georgian archways our house has so I have to go upstairs to do pull ups now then go back downstairs for the rest of the exercise.
Was about to ask the same as I would love to not have my door open.

Starting p90x tomorrow, now that school is in. Hopefully I have the energy with my class load. I put it off to booze and smoke from new years until now, so i have to buckle down early and hard.

NoRéN

Starting p90x tomorrow, now that school is in. Hopefully I have the energy with my class load. I put it off to booze and smoke from new years until now, so i have to buckle down early and hard.

At first, it was an energy drain. I would exercise before bed. After maybe week 2, I realized working out was giving me an energy boost. Maybe that will be the case for you. Month 3 I did my exercises to start the day.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I need some new dumbbells. Mine are round ones that you unscrew a cap, put a new weight, and screw back on. Way too much to do on the fly, plus I can't use them as push up bars. I think 10's, 15's, and 20's should be plenty for me right now.

Why don't you get some extra weights?

I really, really want to try this but I know there's no way in hell I'll either have the time or the energy to pull it off. Plus I don't think there's anywhere I could mount the resistance bands or pull up bar (rented house).

Bah, maybe next year or something.

Why don't you get some extra weights?
That's what I did. I have 4 different sets of dumbells loaded with different weights. Not perfect, but usually enough to cover most routines.

lljride

Nice OP DC. You can add me to the list of P90X grads.

Phase 1 of P90X2 down, doint a rest week this week then on to Phase 2.

I'm a grad aswell :), I finished P90X about 3 months ago and loved it (I lost like 10 pounds). I just started P90X2 yesterday and I loved X2 core. I plan on posting my results every 2 weeks for you guys :) (I'm looking to add muscle this round)

Day 1:
2012-01-16190223.jpg

hxa155

I've started P90X in december and I just finished Kenpo X on the 7th week. So all I have is a recovery week and I'm done with Phase 2 :)

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm not in shape enough to do P90X (Plus my doorways in my apartment aren't compatible with the pullup bar I bought), so I'm doing P90 first. I just started it over the weekend.

How in the world do you find the energy to lift weights after doing P90X? I want to do P90X but I'm doing boxing 3 days per week on top of 4 days weight lifting. So the only P90X I can do atm is Ab Ripper X.

If you're boxing 3 days a week and lifting four, why do you want to do P90 as well? What you're doing should get you in better shape than P90X would, depending on your diet and what you're actually lifting.

mm04

Too bad that you need to buy all that gear first... Might as well go to the gym.

I always find these type of comments interesting. We've already had this discussion in the previous thread, but we may as well get it over with early in this new one. By all means, if you like to go to the gym, then do it. But let's not pretend there is no cost to going there. Besides the actual membership fee, you're talking about hidden costs like fuel and car wear and tear to add as well. Then you'll need to do the research or get a trainer to teach you at least a handful of varying exercise routines so that you're just not working the same muscle groups over and over every day.

P90X works for me because I didn't have to create my own exercise routines and schedule. There's enough instruction on the DVDs and everything happens within an hour (except for Yoga). How many people do you know leave for the gym and are back in 60 minutes? Time is money. Or how many of your friends and family go to the gym and meander around or don't have a true focus on what to work on or how long to do it? I like the variety of P90X and the focus. Do this exercise for 30 seconds to a minute, move on to the next. I can tell you this, I have neighbors who have been going to the gym for the last 2 years and still look the damn same as when I met them, and that's not a good thing. In my first 90 days my results were on another level compared to what they've accomplished. Going to the gym can be a waste of time and money if you don't have direction or focus.

I bought the DVDs and all the equipment I did because I wanted to be invested in it. I figured that if I was going to throw down $300 to $400 in equipment, I better damn well use it. I did and I still do and I have the results that made it worth every penny. Every time a friend or relative compliments me on my physical condition, it vindicates my investment.

On another note, this setup is what using bands to simulate pull-ups looks like. Have a seat on the floor and simulate the motion. The DVDs do a good job of doing this. The bands are anchored by a foam donut on the other side of the door. What I like about the Bodylastic bands is I can combine bands for more resistance.

cay0ml.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My regular go to meal on cardio days is whole wheat pasta with tomato alfredo sauce and 5 beef meatballs. Try and find that one meal that you don't get sick of that's easy to make. For me, this worked for consistency's sake and I'm still not sick of it. I have it probably 2 or 3 times a week.

Man I would love to eat this 3 times a week but carbs galore. I'm trying to drop some pounds so I am going with more meats/veggies than pastas.

pr0cs

I really, really want to try this but I know there's no way in hell I'll either have the time or the energy to pull it off. Plus I don't think there's anywhere I could mount the resistance bands or pull up bar (rented house).

unless you're really big the pull up bars that are used in the doorway :

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EJMS6K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

work just fine. I've been using one since I started P90X and haven't had any damage to my house.

Well, that is sort of a lie, the bar fell when my bloody kids were chasing each other and tried to slam the door and didn't see that I forgot the pull up bar there. In general though the leverage-based pull up bars are perfectly fine for your average house.

I use an exercise ball for balance on occasion if I'm 'dogging it'.

I'm tempted to give it a try, though these houses seem like they were put together with papier-mâché and best wishes so I wouldn't be surprised if I utterly destroy the door frame. :D

I'm at about 14 stone at the moment... so not huge, but not exactly tinkerbell either.

mm04

Man I would love to eat this 3 times a week but carbs galore. I'm trying to drop some pounds so I am going with more meats/veggies than pastas.

I hear what you're saying. I've done low carb before when I was younger. It's awesome because you drop weight so quickly. Any time I needed to drop 10 pounds or so in a relatively short amount of time, I would do it. I probably did it like 4 or 5 times. But eventually for me, it just got tiring to regulate my eating habits like that. It's not for everyone and without getting into some holy war about low carbs because I know there are many on GAF who live by it, I find my current diet/routine to be more enjoyable for me.

I've documented it in the other thread, but in January of 2011, I weighed 189. Today, I weigh 164. I eat pasta, burritos, and cheeseburgers and fries. I have desserts. I don't eat them every day mind you, but as long as I stay near or below my daily caloric intake ceiling, I continue to lose weight. 2200 calories a day (it goes down slightly as I continue to lose) and P90X 6 days a week does the trick for me. Once I reach my goal weight, I'll up my calories by 500 for maintenance.

I think you're doing the right thing, as well. Combining your diet plan plus exercise. So many just rely on diet and yes, I understand that most of losing weight is due to diet, but ask yourself if you want to be the skinny guy at the beach or the ripped guy? Some may be absolutely content with skinny and low carbing exclusively may get you there. I'm shooting for ripped. I may not get to infomercial levels of it, but when I look at myself in the mirror, I see a fitness level there that didn't exist when I was just thin.

Just finished plyocide for the first time, god dammit it's hard but I love it haha. My favorite workout from P90X was plyoX and I think this will be my favorite aswell.

pr0cs

I'm tempted to give it a try, though these houses seem like they were put together with papier-mâché and best wishes so I wouldn't be surprised if I utterly destroy the door frame. :D

I'm at about 14 stone at the moment... so not huge, but not exactly tinkerbell either.

It's not a big cash outlay for the frame-type bars, certainly not like a month's pass at any reputable gym.

I like the P90 series because a large portion of the workouts don't need a lot of gear. If you shop around you can get most everything you need for relatively little money.

The weights can be a pain to have and store, that was until I found these at my local Costco:
http://www.sears.ca/product/bowfllexbowflex-sport-selecttech-weight-set/606-000235101-140000

I of course got them on sale for almost 1/2 of what they're listed on that website. They take up next to no room which is also nice.

425kid

My first try at it was last February. I got up to week 3 before stopping. I did it when I went home after work, had a few nights out that week and never got back. This thread motivates me to have a second crack at it. I already spent the money last year and have all the stuff, so there is nothing to lose to go at it again. I go on GAF every morning before work anyway, I hope to replace that with P90x every morning. We'll see how that's going to work.

pr0cs

Also, I hate you guys for ruining Chest/Back for me... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

After some 'in depth research' last night I think Chest/Back has become a LOT more exciting and I'm looking forward to it this week.

Different 'strokes' for different folks I guess. :D

My son: 'Dad, between P90X and P90X2, should you do one before the other?'

Me: 'Yes. We own P90X and don't own P90X2.'

Wisdom, it seems, DOES come with age.

Top Bottom