• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue IV: Central Fiction |OT| Be Ready For The Phantoms

cj_iwakura

RtbOzMK.png

W60nIQJ.png

• Developer: Arc System Works
  • Publishers: Aksys / P*Qube
  • Platform: PS3/PS4
  • Genre: 2D Fighting
  • Price: $49.99 (PS3) / $59.99 (PS4)
  • Release Date: 10/6/16 (JP) / 11/1/16 (US) / 11/4/16 (EU)

There will be Chrono Phantasma spoilers in this thread, you have been warned.
Central Fiction story content should be tagged.

UecOOyy.png

The Story So Far...

img_storymode_b.jpg

At the end of Chrono Phantasma, the Imperator of the Librarium, aka Saya, revealed her true form: the god of death, Hades Izanami.

Although she summoned the Black Beast, Ragna narrowly managed to defeat it, but Saya is clearly still in control, and has plans yet to unfold...

tumblr_n9e1rvkSis1skns5ho1_1280.jpg

Jubei finally confronted Phantom, and she revealed her true form: the long lost mage of the Six Heroes and his wife, Nine.
Along with Litchi and Relius, she's clearly on the side of Yuki Terumi and Hades Izanami. But why? Is she under control, or acting of her own free will?

tumblr_n98m9cwyGZ1skns5ho1_1280.jpg

This will be the end of Ragna's story. Can Hades finally be defeated? Will Terumi ever die? Will the Jin shippers ever be satisfied?

Is Jubei ready to pounce? Be ready for the rebel against the end.

Cerw2KY.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Nine The Phantom
dSFK5xOh.jpg

Naoto Kurogane
CJte2W4UMAAibrd.jpg

Hibiki Kohaku
jtWxS4m.jpg

Es (from XBlaze)
68b69fdfa43e6952365cd6eedf3808ba967d784d-1156185.jpg

Mai Natsume

JUBEI!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aewAKIak15o

ENDGAME BOSS SPOILERS
Hades Izanami
maxresdefault.jpg

Susano'O
maxresdefault.jpg

Media
Central Fiction Reveal Trailer

Arcade Opening (MUST WATCH)

Console Opening (sorta watch)

Nine The Phantom Reveal

Endgame Boss 1 Reveal

Es Gameplay Trailer

Mai Natsume Gameplay Trailer

Endgame Boss 2 Combos Footage (SPOILERS}

FAQ
61s%2BhBggGFL.jpg

Will there be an Extend version?
Mori says no. Take that with a grain of salt as always, but supposedly the end of CF is really damn definitive.

How the hell should I catch up on the story?
Ideally? Calamity Trigger Story Mode, Continuum Shift Extend Story Mode, Chrono Phantasma Extend Story Mode.
Abriged? CSE has a brief summation of CT, but the core game's telling is better.

Will there be a dub?
Not bloody likely.

If you don't care about the US/EU releases, the Asian versions reportedly have translated story modes.

Reviews
sddefault.jpg

TBA

PSN User List
(Player / Character / System)

Community
tumblr_ny21tgLfzl1unuj8ko1_500.jpg

Chrono Phantasma Extend OT
Chrono Phantasma Vanilla OT
Continuum Shift OT
Calamity Trigger OT

Special Thanks

Mori for staying crazy this long.
ShadowSoldier89 for the banners from his CP OT, please don't sue me.

Zyrox

Out already in Japan, eh? Will be getting it at EU release. Can't wait to get into Blazblue again, it's been a while.
Also I knew this party wasn't gonna end without Jubei.

Oh and also I recently found a neat "the story so far" summary/guide that someone made, for those who need a refresher: http://blazblue.kumodori.com/index.html

Astral

I just wanna say that all the animated cutscenes are already on YouTube and a certain moment between
Ragna and Rachel
absolutely melted my heart. Cutest shit I've ever seen.

JayEH

Out already in Japan, eh? Will be getting it at EU release. Can't wait to get into Blazblue again, it's been a while.
Also I knew this party wasn't gonna end without Jubei.

Oh and also I recently found a neat "the story so far" summary/guide that someone made, for those who need a refresher: http://blazblue.kumodori.com/index.html

thanks. i've been looking for a while on a decent guide but the best i could find was something that only covered up to CS.

My hype for CF wasn't as strong as for past games, but it's still a solid fighter. Active Flow is a really cool mechanic and a nice offset for Negative Penalty, and all of the new characters are fun or have unique playstyles. Naoto will probably fall into the crew I play regularly, and maybe the super secret story mode character will as well, depending on how their meta balances out over the next couple months.

Also Bang can cape cancel any time he wants in the air now as long as he has air moves left, so. That's pretty cool. More gimmicks are always fun.

shaowebb

Yo this party needs QisTopTier and his Makoto to rock it down soon. I'm hype to play some Mai Natsume. Kind of curious on Hibiki and Naoto. Did Naoto ever get better? Hibiki looked potentially good early in.

cj_iwakura

I'm sticking with Tsubaki, her buffs are icing. I haven't played the CS version yet, just one game at CEOtaku and the arcade version at Taito Station in Akihabara. (Saying I got wrecked was an understatement.)

Considering the new version sub. Probably going to see how Jubei is.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
BB has always been my main competitive fighter. Went to EVO in 2014 to compete in CP.

I can't believe that after all this time, we're still getting the game almost 1 whole year after its been out in arcades. Pretty much tired of it. The dub thing was just the last straw for me I suppose.

Caim

Man, Es is a lot of fun to play.

I also hope they fix the issue with PS3 legacy controller not being recognized correctly in menus soon. It's pretty annoying.

preta

This is going to be so good. Especially since I haven't played BB since CSEX, so half the cast will be new to me. (I assume it's fine to just watch CP's story on YT?)

PSN: Phiixl / Unsure / PS4

Ishiwatari's new songs are total fire as well - definitely better than most of his Xrd work.

preta

I forgot this was going back to Kagutsuchi. ZZZ.

Oh well, I'll be grabbing Extend on PC presumably a year from now.

Mori has stated emphatically that there will not be an Extend, however, there may be more DLC characters in the future instead. Of course, he may be lying.

Mori has stated emphatically that there will not be an Extend, however, there may be more DLC characters in the future instead. Of course, he may be lying.
Yeah, I just don't trust them. Maybe it will be a "GOTY"/"Complete" version, or an actual title change, or just a different subtitle (depending on how his defense was worded). Arc has done such a great job teaching everybody to wait for the real release that they need to counter that somehow, and whatever approach they finally choose I know it's going to involve them milking the hell out of their fans, probably for a couple new characters and some visual novel side-story.

If nothing else I know I'll be waiting a year for the PC port even if this truly is the only release of CF.

cj_iwakura

dontbelievehislies.jpg

Jubei's probably going to be DLC, though.

I forgot this was going back to Kagutsuchi. ZZZ.

Oh well, I'll be grabbing Extend on PC presumably a year from now.

The new stages were boring, all the hype's at Kagutsuchi.

ARF ARF ARF

Are there any lobbies NA players congregate on? The JP ones are the only ones populated, with only JP players (shocking, I know), and I get bored really quickly waiting in player rooms.

If anybody wants to play, my ID is TheYoTornado. I play a ton of characters, but all involve running at my opponent while rolling my face on the stick.

cj_iwakura

Damn I still need to play CP's story mode.

Shit's too long.

It's sadly a huge waste. Very little of note actually happens, a lot of build up for one big event, and the new characters are wasted.

Things get real at the very very end, but sheesh, it takes a long time.

Hubb

Are there any lobbies NA players congregate on? The JP ones are the only ones populated, with only JP players (shocking, I know), and I get bored really quickly waiting in player rooms.

If anybody wants to play, my ID is TheYoTornado. I play a ton of characters, but all involve running at my opponent while rolling my face on the stick.

No idea if the demo will allow network play, but not sure how many NA people have imported the game yet. I'm sure once the game comes out in NA/EU there will be NA lobbies.

No idea if the demo will allow network play, but not sure how many NA people have imported the game yet. I'm sure once the game comes out in NA/EU there will be NA lobbies.

Yeah, for sure. I'm just getting wistful from vanilla BBCP when there was still a decent amount of folks during the import days. I forget that the BB audience gets exponentially smaller every game, lol

Do these games always include the (anything but story) content of the previous iteration? And will there be another BlazBlue version after this that isn't a true sequel?

cj_iwakura

Do these games always include the (anything but story) content of the previous iteration? And will there be another BlazBlue version after this that isn't a true sequel?

Depends on the game, they seem less interested with it as time goes on. The last game had a library, but beyond that it pretty much tosses you into the deep end. The Teach Me Ms. Litchi! segments are really, really abridged versions.

RoeBear

Most US players are on the lobby server that is 5th down from the start. It has two Japanese characters one that's like a starfish idk... usually at least one lobby full during peak hours. It's hit or miss earlier in the day.

It's sadly a huge waste. Very little of note actually happens, a lot of build up for one big event, and the new characters are wasted.

Things get real at the very very end, but sheesh, it takes a long time.

Fuck it, I'll just skip it.

Revelator did a good enough job catching me up anyway.

Hubb

Yeah, for sure. I'm just getting wistful from vanilla BBCP when there was still a decent amount of folks during the import days. I forget that the BB audience gets exponentially smaller every game, lol

I'm hoping against hope that the NA demo offers netplay. JPN version had a couple of Netplay weekends and I hope that they drop that and just allow it from the start. Not like you can refund it on NA anyway.

Verelios

Alright, alright, here comes the Vermillion! I might drop Hakumen for Bullet if he doesn't get even a bit re-tooled, but my main is still looking to be Noel. For some strange reason, I always look forward to the story/gag reels more than the game, so it's a pity they're not being dubbed.

Edit: Nine's hair color seems off for some reason

Zyrox

Hope there'll be a few EU players as well. Always kind of a rare breed in these titles.

Also, when's Jubei?
Never... The answer is never.

Did you see the tweet in the OP? Dataminers found a sound file of the announcer saying his name. He's totally coming.

Rutger

Banned
After skipping the last Extend game in order to focus on GG, I am really looking forward to my return to BB with Central Fiction.

I'll be waiting for the NA release though because it'll be cheaper and the wait is not long.

PSN: RutgerFE6 / Kokonoe, Tao / PS3

On my characters, they're still in the air until I can play the game. I've been most comfortable with those two, I don't know what to expect from the new characters, and there are several old subs I want to look at again.

Mr Git

I haven't got a BB game since Continuum Shift, so looking forward to this. Always found this series was much kinder to either fighting game newbies or those who hadn't played BlazBlue before - than others in the genre. Particularly good when you've got a bunch of folk round.

Top Bottom