• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bojack Horseman Season 4 |OT| Fuck Man, What Else Is There To Say

Guess Who

Banned
So, this a weird question, but would that be an example of whitewashing? I noticed that Rachael Bloom's character appears black too. It's a little uncomfortable really.

It is, yeah. I can forgive it, because having popular actors like Alison Brie helps bring attention to the show and the show is one of the most progressive shows in mainstream media otherwise (and also Alison is a fantastic Diane), but it's a fair criticism.

So, this a weird question, but would that be an example of whitewashing? I noticed that Rachael Bloom's character appears black too. It's a little uncomfortable really.

Eh, when it comes to voice over work, I think this issue is a bit more muddy. I don't think animated and other voice over mediums have the same stigma attached to them, because there's a history of all sorts of racial mismatches. Some of the most popular being black actors voicing white characters (James Earl Jones as Vader for instance). I mean even within BoJack you also have Aisha Tyler voicing white background characters. I think it might be an issue if Alison Brie was trying to put on some Vietnamese accent, because then there'd be some degree of appropriation.

Wow. S4EP1 Spoilers:
First things first, Todd you fucking dumbass. Next, this season seems to gear up to criticize the 2016 election process through Mr. Peanutbutter. Fine by me, I never liked the guy. I'm pretty sure Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter are going to have a divorce. Is she really going to end up with Bojack though... Really? She's calling him and worrying about him most of all. Glad Princess Carolyn finally gets her wish. My favorite character and I hope she gets what she wants. Honestly deserves it.

daveo42

Banned
Holy shit that first episode and it's real world references to
our joke of a political system and idiocy of the masses. At least the people of California just like Mr. Peanutbutter and aren't fueled by xenophobia, nationalism, and racism. Honest to god I'd take PB over Trump any day of the week.

Also, I really wish we could have had Governor Todd. That alone would have been a hell of a season.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Second episode was even better in my opinion. First has good current commentary with character shenanigans, second has some great duality of times, somberness, and mixes the humor and some themes together very well with some great back and forth storytelling.

LotusHD

Banned
When does this series get good? Think I watched like 4-5 eps and it was just boring and I hated every character.

1st Season? Like Episode 7 or so, if I recall correctly? The first few episodes are universally agreed to be pretty weak, and then the show just gets monumentally better and just never stops being that way for the other seasons either.

VAD

Just saw Ep1. Holy shit I forgot how funny it was: "Girafe CEO breaks glass ceiling", it's dad joke heaven. I love how they managed to create such lovable idiots in Todd and Mr PB, I could watch an entire series of them being lovable idiots doing what idiots do.

Episode 2 is a very stark reminder that this show is still BoJack. Holy shit. So good. I can totally see where this season is going.

Second episode was even better in my opinion. First has good current commentary with character shenanigans, second has some great duality of times, somberness, and mixes the humor and some themes together very well with some great back and forth storytelling.

Episode 2 is a very stark reminder that this show is still BoJack. Holy shit. So good. I can totally see where this season is going.

I'm a little mixed honestly on the ending but it's a great episode.
I liked the duality aspect and both the past/present scenes. But the ending of the present was pretty worthless, while the ending of the past was horrifying and poignant.
I know it was meant to be that way, but it just feels rushed. Like the show was trying to have its cake and eat it too.

daveo42

Banned
Jesus...well now we have a better idea about why Bojack is the way he is.
Those past scenes with his mother and grandmother along with how the episode ended ("I have half a mind") is chilling. The actual end and Bojack's reaction and solution do a good job of reminding us he's still Bojack, even if he is right about not being stuck in the past. That poor dragonfly...

I'm a little mixed honestly on the ending but it's a great episode.
I liked the duality aspect and both the past/present scenes. But the ending of the present was pretty worthless, while the ending of the past was horrifying and poignant.
I know it was meant to be that way, but it just feels rushed. Like the show was trying to have its cake and eat it too.

I think the way it wrapped is what we should come to expect with Bojack as a character as long as this continues to be a show.

Just saw Ep1. Holy shit I forgot how funny it was: "Girafe CEO breaks glass ceiling", it's dad joke heaven. I love how they managed to create such lovable idiots in Todd and Mr PB, I could watch an entire series of them being lovable idiots doing what idiots do.

I know everyone loves this show for how it handles depression, but I'm mostly here for the stupid animal jokes.

Dusk Golem

Episode 3 was a good Todd episode, had a bit of every part of Todd in it.

Season 4 os great so far 3 episodes in.

number11

I hate it when Netflix forces you to skip the end credits to watch the next episode. 5 seconds isn't even much time to pick up the remote and press cancel.

daveo42

Banned
Episode 3 was a beautiful Todd episode. Nice to see him both get the recognition he deserves and still be a lovable oaf. Also real glad he seems to have found a place he fits in.

"Good for him"

Dusk Golem

Episode 4 had some great moments, though my least favorite of the first four episodes of season 4, but not a bad episode. Nice to see some things move forward with the plot though.

Episode 3 was a beautiful Todd episode. Nice to see him both get the recognition he deserves and still be a lovable oaf. Also real glad he seems to have found a place he fits in.

"Good for him"

Yes, I agree Finally a Todd episode that makes him more likable and gives him more dimension than a fucking paper bag with the word 'funny' written on it. It feels nice for him to grow out of the hole he was placed in.

daveo42

Banned
Yes, I agree Finally a Todd episode that makes him more likable and gives him more dimension than a fucking paper bag with the word 'funny' written on it. It feels nice for him to grow out of the hole he was placed in.

That dimension has been there since the rock opera episode in season 1, but Todd has always been seen through the lens of Bojack or PB without much room to breathe. Being away from Bojack is probably better for most of the characters, since he tends to collapse and take those in the vicinity down with him.

Dusk Golem

Oh boy episode 5 tackles some stuff, but it was a another good one.

Gun laws, woman treatment, dementia, and glorification in media, all in one episode.

That dimension has been there since the rock opera episode in season 1, but Todd has always been seen through the lens of Bojack or PB without much room to breathe. Being away from Bojack is probably better for most of the characters, since he tends to collapse and take those in the vicinity down with him.
Yeah, but like you said PB and Bojack have been just holding onto him and turned him into little less than a comedy sidekick. Through season 2 and 3, he's just been an extremely lucky idiot, which is just highlighted in that episode of the Hollywoo show by J.D. Salinger and how the two directors found him cute/funny.

It was just annoying to see him used that way. He was just being a boring prop.
There's so much sex in this series so far.
I know the series has alot, but man Episode 4 was insane. Like a furry's wet dream, lol.

Welp, saving the rest for tommorrow.

The_Kid

Yeah, but like you said PB and Bojack have been just holding onto him and turned him into little less than a comedy sidekick. Through season 2 and 3, he's just been an extremely lucky idiot, which is just highlighted in that episode of the Hollywoo show by J.D. Salinger and how the two directors found him cute/funny.

It was just annoying to see him used that way. He was just being a boring prop.

I know the series has alot, but man Episode 4 was insane. Like a furry's wet dream, lol.

Welp, saving the rest for tommorrow.

Yeaaaah I'm going to see lots of people in the fandom talking about episode 4 for awhile. >.>

Anyways I think I finished. I skipped ahead a couple times in some episodes over jokes to get to the plot (I'll go back in a bit). I liked it! Season 4 has this different feel to it that's hard for me to explain in my half-awake state, but
Hollyhock was a good addition and I really hope we see more of her.
. This season didn't strike me as overly depressing as the past couple have, or rather not in an as quotable way?

I particularly dug episode 11. Dig not really dig episode 1 besides the Drone Throne joke.

Irminsul

Lmao, episode 5 was quite something.

These guys really know how to handle
precision f-strikes. "And then I can finally tell her... FUCK YOU, mom!"

Also, of course:
"Possession of firearms is now illegal in California. We did it, boys!"

Grazzt

Finished 3 episodes, love all of them. God this show is amazing. I love Todd's development, especially when he admits he is asexual.
Gonna finish the rest tomorrow.

I finished all of this season.

Episodes 5, 6, 9, 10, 11 and 12 were really good in particular, storywise. It's as good as it's ever been.

Finished 3 episodes, love all of them. God this show is amazing. I love Todd's development, especially when he admits he is asexual.
Gonna finish the rest tomorrow.
I had some concerns early on that they were going to move away from that, but those concerns were shown wrong. I cringed at one point when it looked like the writers were about to drop the ball with some Ace 101, but they nailed it.

Also, did episode two's ending feel cheap to anyone else? I mean,
the mother getting a lobotomy feels like unusually strong, exploitative swerve, even if it did happen back in the day.

Top Bottom