• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BoJack Horseman S2 |OT| Hollywoo’s Biggest Comeback – Spoiler Tags until 7/31

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This is the best make you laugh, make you cry, make you happy and then sad again, show featuring anthropomorphic animals living in harmony with humans in a world that otherwise closely resembles our own that is currently on the air.

Just finished binge watching both seasons, it really was something special. I was planning on watching a few episodes per day but I watched them all in one day instead haha.
Season two had one big fault though, too little Sarah Lynn.

J. Bravo

just finished season 2. i only watch this show when i'm high. it is one of the best fuckin shows i've ever seen. goddamn.

Just finished episode 11. Yes, and.... that was probably one of the if not the best Bojack episode ever imo. Edge of my seat whether he was
gonna do it or not the whole time, then i was actually really disappointed when he did, though my wife and I were arguing about it since to me it wasn't 100% CLEAR since when Charlotte busted in they were just sitting on the bed weren't they? I mean they COULD have been just talking about the whole thing, but then who am i fooling? This IS Bojack after all :( he'd mess up like that

I believe that this is honestly THE most "adult" animated show ever made. Might as well have been a live action show, but then that is precisely part of it's charm.

Can't wait for Season 3 and... oh yeah i still have one episode left to watch :)

Quick

Banned
Has it ever been mentioned that an actual Secretariat movie might be coming to Netflix?

I'm only saying this because I'm on Bojack's website, and there's a poster for it with a Netflix logo.

secretariatposter.jpg

wetwired

Most Netflix shows get renewed during the week they release the season, actually. Sense8 is expensive and I'm not sure how successful it is. The slow build seemed to turn off a lot of people, so I can imagine it's tougher to make a decision there compared to a low-cost cartoon. Otherwise, the Wachowski Siblings have a pretty full schedule, so it might just be that they haven't found the time yet and are holding off the announcements until they know exactly when the next season can be shot.

I imagine it's very easy for them to judge when a series is financially successful, they have direct numbers of views to judge by unlike regular television. If it meets or exceeds that number in the first day, renewal is a no brainer.

I'm guessing Sense8 is struggling to meet that, I haven't watched it, dunno if I even will as it didn't look that interesting to me.

Manu

Has it ever been mentioned that an actual Secretariat movie might be coming to Netflix?

I'm only saying this because I'm on Bojack's website, and there's a poster for it with a Netflix logo.

secretariatposter.jpg

Probably an old pic/placeholder, since he wears a red haired wig for the role.

When I first started season two, I wasn't sure whether or not it was going to live up to the absolutely fantastic first season. Happy to say that season two surpassed all my expectations. The show finds a way to tackle all kinds of weighty subjects without losing it's humor.

A++ Netflix, keep it up.

Fisty

Watched the whole second season in about 3 sittings the week it released, and I loved it just as much as the first. Its a great show, truly awesome how much you actually grow to care about this worthless cynical asshole. Plus, anytime I hear Paul F Tompkins i just giggle. Love that guy. I jumped on the Season 1 train quite late, so i didnt have to wait long for S2... but S3 wait is going to be painful

This was one of those shows that took me awhile to properly check out because the first few episodes were pretty standard fare and you assume the entire thing is another generic adult comedy tackling the same material a million other shows already have, but oh my god is it amazing after you get past that six episode mark.

Season 2 was a fantastic way to make you feel like absolute shit by the end of it, but I still really loved it. Balanced the comedy and drama a lot better too, since I can't remember a single episode I didn't at least like while season 1 I still sort of skip the first half if I'm rewatching it.

"Or I'll fucking kill you"; great way to make the buildup in season 1 and partys of season 2 with Bojack wondering what could've been with Charlotte all the more devastating with how it all comes crashing down. Also with the way the show's written it's sort of funny that they can have 'cunt' as a really funny punchline and 'fuck' as an effective way to heighten the drama to a scene.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

secretariatposter.jpg

I would like this instead of another Christmas special, tbh.

Man...I'm going to miss Wanda.
The 30 year coma angle made for some pretty funny "stranger in a new land" gags, plus I like how she genuinely loved Bojack but didn't put up with his crap.
Hopefully this isn't the last time we'll see her.

Anyways, just binge watched both seasons and I thought it was great; the show does a great job at being funny but also sad, and depressing.

Edit: Also I appreciate the fact that the show never really dabbles in over the top gross out humor, it's refreshing for an adult-aimed animated series like this.

Quick

Banned
Man...I'm going to miss Wanda.
The 30 year coma angle made for some pretty funny "stranger in a new land" gags, plus I like how she genuinely loved Bojack but didn't put up with his crap.
Hopefully this isn't the last time we'll see her.

Anyways, just binge watched both seasons and I thought it was great; the show does a great job at being funny but also sad, and depressing.

"You know, it's funny; when you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags."

One of the best lines in the series.

I doubt we've seen the last of Wanda, but she admittedly leaves season 2 pretty abruptly. She was hilarious in Let's Find Out and I think there's still a ton of stuff you can do with her story-wise given the 30 years she missed.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I doubt we've seen the last of Wanda, but she admittedly leaves season 2 pretty abruptly. She was hilarious in Let's Find Out and I think there's still a ton of stuff you can do with her story-wise given the 30 years she missed.

Wanda's probably be in for S3, since she oversees Mr. Peanutbutter's show, and she might come into conflict with him due the Hank/Diane scandal, which is very likely to come up again.

MJLord

Just finished episode 11. Yes, and.... that was probably one of the if not the best Bojack episode ever imo. Edge of my seat whether he was
gonna do it or not the whole time, then i was actually really disappointed when he did, though my wife and I were arguing about it since to me it wasn't 100% CLEAR since when Charlotte busted in they were just sitting on the bed weren't they? I mean they COULD have been just talking about the whole thing, but then who am i fooling? This IS Bojack after all :( he'd mess up like that

I believe that this is honestly THE most "adult" animated show ever made. Might as well have been a live action show, but then that is precisely part of it's charm.

Can't wait for Season 3 and... oh yeah i still have one episode left to watch :)

He
left the door open man,
he knew exactly what he was doing.

Weeman0313

Neo Member
Just watched this whole show over the past few days, did me in. Wow is this show great.

I just did the same. This show makes me incredibly uncomfortable with how realistic it gets with disorders yet there are animals to pull you immediately out of it. "Black sheep of the family" come on I snorted way way too hard at that.

kamakazi5

Does the first season start slow? I'm at episode 3 but I've really only found a few parts particularly funny. It's weird because my wife loves it and we usually have the same sense of humor but for some reason it isn't clicking with me.

Does the first season start slow? I'm at episode 3 but I've really only found a few parts particularly funny. It's weird because my wife loves it and we usually have the same sense of humor but for some reason it isn't clicking with me.

I thought so. And, to be honest, I thought the show worked despite not being particularly funny a lot of the time.

Weeman0313

Neo Member

Yea I didn't find the first few episodes terribly funny other than the occasional eye roll I made when they used some sort of animal pun. It ramps up quite quick with it's dark undertones though and that kept me interested.

I do like how the show has sparked debate over whether Bojack does certain things intentionally like earlier in the thread, reminds me of Rick and Morty theory threads.

SalvaPot

The first half of the season is setting up the second half, so yeah, its slower. Also I don´t consider this series to be hilarious, but I do consider it to be extremely clever and fun in a "huh, that is interesting" kind of way. Can´t wait for season 3.

barik

secretariatposter.jpg

Maybe it just means that in the Bojack universe, the Secretariat movie would come out on Netflix?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Maybe it just means that in the Bojack universe, the Secretariat movie would come out on Netflix?

Honestly, I wouldn't say no to a fake Secratariat trailer.

Ideally, i would like a half hour youtube review(in the style of the Nostalgia critic where he goes through the entire movie) shitting all over it. I think it would be amazing.

SalvaPot

secretariatposter.jpg

It can be like the Christmas Special they made where they had an episode of Horsing around with Bojack and Todd commenting over it.

So I've finished the second season and I have got to say, that ending to episode 11 of the second season got SUPER real.

I'm sitting there watching this thinking to myself. "Holy fuck Bojack how can you just come in a fuck up a bunch of people's lives SOOOOO bad!" She had every right to beat the crap outta him for trying to bang her daughter. He shouldn't have put himself in that situation in the first place.

Out of all the characters I've got to say I've enjoyed Todd and Princess the most. Princess at the very least has come off as generally the most reasonable character in the series.

Weeman0313

Neo Member
So I've finished the second season and I have got to say, that ending to episode 11 of the second season got SUPER real.

I'm sitting there watching this thinking to myself. "Holy fuck Bojack how can you just come in a fuck up a bunch of people's lives SOOOOO bad!" She had every right to beat the crap outta him for trying to bang her daughter. He shouldn't have put himself in that situation in the first place.

Out of all the characters I've got to say I've enjoyed Todd and Princess the most. Princess at the very least has come off as generally the most reasonable character in the series.

Yea, we're starting to see which characters can overcome their own problems and move on. I fucking love Todd man that dude has a big heart in Hollywoo i'm surprised it hasn't gotten him killed.

TM94

Wow the Hank Hippopopalous focus (episode 7) is one of the best episodes of comedy I've ever seen, what a show.

I would love to take down I would love to take down Hippopopalous and finally topple the acropolis of monstrous hypocrisy that ensconces us

Kanye West hates thin mints?

Wow the Hank Hippopopalous focus (episode 7) is one of the best episodes of comedy I've ever seen, what a show.

I would love to take down I would love to take down Hippopopalous and finally topple the acropolis of monstrous hypocrisy that ensconces us

Kanye West hates thin mints?

They kept up with those alliterations (is that the right literary term for that?) and I lost it more and more each time.

I just finished watching the second season and for once I didn't binge watch a show. I mostly just took it an episode at a time while going to bed at night. The show touches on more genuine emotion and feeling than any that I can remember as a cartoon! It might have the best ending theme I can remember too, the tone and emotion of it almost always matches how you feel when the last scene cuts to it. I constantly have had it humming in my head at work for the past two weeks.

If I had to pick a weak point for the show, I'd say it would probably be Diane. She's never really done it for me.

Toothless

Just finished the season. Yes, I realized I took forever for the OP of the OT lol. Genius. It topped the first season for me. The second half of the season kept on hitting hard, episode after episode. I love all the characters on it, and I wince everytime they screw up. It's probably one of the most human shows I've ever seen.

I just hope we see more Kelsey next season. I was thinking Jill Pill was gonna be revealed as a pseudonym for her, but nope. Then again, I honestly think they could do an entire season where BoJack produces a big studio project for her again to try to redeem himself but realizing redemption isn't real.

I don't know, all I know is I'll actually binge season 3, lol.

The wife and I finally finished season 2 last night, and I'm still blown away by how good this show is considering I went into it completely blind. They made a cartoon with anthropomorphic animals smart and moving in a way I can't find in other places. The way they use the animals in the most perfect way every time still gets to me. Mr. Peanutbutter is such a Golden Retriever!

Have to say though, that by the end of Season 2
I was pretty angry at Bojack for all the immensely stupid and immature shit that he pulled. The prom episode was the icing on that cake. This is just a testament to how good the show was at making these characters what they are, but in the finale we were rooting more for Mr. Peanutbutter and his forgiveness of Diane and Princess Carolyn than we were for Bojack's rescuing of Todd.

Anyway I am looking forward a season 3, and I hope the quality of the show continues with it.

NEO0MJ

Just finished season 2 recently. Amazing show. but man
Bojack is such an animal, and I don't mean just literally. Lets see if he can actually improve his situation by season 3.

Zubz

Banned
Ok, so I finally started and finished this show within a week-and-a-half. Well, I haven't seen the Christmas Special, but I got a heads-up that it's not tied to any plots so I'm saving that for Christmas.

Either way, I love this show! I really like how the characters are all strongly troubled, yet don't really reach straight-up irredeemable-tier
barring Bojack with Charlotte's daughter; I've never felt so disappointed in a fictional character before
. I'm still cheering for Bojack to improve in Season 3, and he's at least finally willing to acknowledge his feelings towards his "friends," between his interactions with Mr. Peanutbutter, Dianne, Princess Carolyn, and Todd near the end of the season. But he's still clearly a mess. I know that's the whole point is that he can't change, but I still find myself rooting for the character to improve, even after watching Venture Bros. for how many years!

I'm glad to know that Season 3 shouldn't be too long of a wait, at least. It's probably a little under a year away, but some shows take even longer between seasons. So long as the quality doesn't suffer, I'm fine with waiting a year or two for Season 3.
I wonder if they'll actually give that Hank Hippopoplus story a good ending, seeing how the actual Cosby case ended with his career basically being dead in the water. Still, it'd fit the show's general theme of failure if a horrible, non-protagonist character gets away with some atrocious stuff, and I think the episode was also supposed to be based on Letterman's old scandal as well; the parallels are stronger with Cosby's horrific history, but he's clearly a Letterman stand-in.

It can be like the Christmas Special they made where they had an episode of Horsing around with Bojack and Todd commenting over it.

this is what I'm thinking. S1 was all about the sitcom so they had a sitcom holiday special with bojack/todd commentary.

Maybe S2's 'special' will be the secretariat movie with commentary from Bojack and someone else as they watch it. It'd like still be like 30 minutes though.

Fury451

Banned
Just finished season 2 recently. Amazing show. but man
Bojack is such an animal, and I don't mean just literally. Lets see if he can actually improve his situation by season 3.

Well, there was hope at the end, after a pretty dark streak. It'll be intriguing to see where they go, especially with the oblique reference to that writer contacting him from that other show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom