• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bojack Horseman Season 4 |OT| Fuck Man, What Else Is There To Say

Grizzo

Should have used my time to sleep more last night but I really wanted to watch the last 4 episodes of this season. This show wrecked me once again. I had a good cry on episode 11 & 12.

That's too much, man!

Clawww

So something I noticed yesterday while I was watching with my roommate as he caught up

In Stupid Piece of Shit, Beatrice says:
"Give me the baby back, you worthless waste of my husband's jism!"

To which Bojack replies:
"Oh, so you do know who I am!"

Bea didn't recognize Bojack, she still thought she was talking to Henrietta, who slept with her husband.
Nice

The last episode was fantastic and I did shed a tear.

However unlike previous seasons it was for happiness.

The whole PC arc from the very first episode of wanting a baby with Bojack to Bojack saying
she should think of adopting
and
the world needs good moms
was amazing, that he helped her talking the script because of what she had done for him.

Todd from becoming just a part of the furniture to the character he is now is great and I liked his ending.

Hollyhocks last words to Bojack on the telephone just did not expect it for some reason and it was great for his ending to be an uplifting one.

Diane is a Horrid character. She hasn't developed at all and she is just a moan. I'm happy of her ending as I hope she just fades away

Veelk

Banned
You want to know what's great about Hollyhock? Why's she's great for Bojack?
She never tries to delegitimize Bojack's feelings while also not feeding into them.

She clearly has a very different regard for Beatrice than Bojack because she never had a childhood with the monster she was while cognizant. And when Bojack expresses his resentment against her in more extreme ways, like how he cruelly takes away her doll, she's clearly uncomfortable...

but she never actually condemns Bojack because she knows the kind of pain that he must feel towards his mother to result in these actions. She doesn't try to convince Bojack to give his mother another chance or anything like that. She just empathizes with his feelings, lets them play out, and then asks him to be kind anyway.

And that's what he does, in the end. Beatrice has to get out of his life, for his own well being, but in their last moments together, in episode 11, he creates a peaceful and pleasant scene for her confused mind. And it's not like he just saw the flashbacks with us, he just saw that she was a confused and frightened old woman who didn't know what was going on. And then he choose to be kind.
That's got to be one of the best showcases of character development I've seen in a while.

Ross61

She never tries to delegitimize Bojack's feelings while also not feeding into them.

She clearly has a very different regard for Beatrice than Bojack because she never had a childhood with the monster she was while cognizant. And when Bojack expresses his resentment against her in more extreme ways, like how he cruelly takes away her doll, she's clearly uncomfortable...

but she never actually condemns Bojack because she knows the kind of pain that he must feel towards his mother to result in these actions. She doesn't try to convince Bojack to give his mother another chance or anything like that. She just empathizes with his feelings, lets them play out, and then asks him to be kind anyway.

And that's what he does, in the end. Beatrice has to get out of his life, for his own well being, but in their last moments together, in episode 11, he creates a peaceful and pleasant scene for her confused mind. And it's not like he just saw the flashbacks with us, he just saw that she was a confused and frightened old woman who didn't know what was going on. And then he choose to be kind.
That's got to be one of the best showcases of character development I've seen in a while.
We may not agree on stuff like DCEU but this was one of the best analysis I've heard regarding Bojack.

D-Man

Just finished the last episode.

This season's focus on Beatrice was quite unexpected to me and it was honestly heartbreaking to see everything that happened for her to end up the way she is. I had a feeling Hollyhock was Bojack's sister when they showed Henrietta's baby, but I still like the way they resolved that arc. Mr. Peanutbutter and Diane really need to breakup since Diane, no matter how much she tries, can't truly be happy with someone like him. I also like Todd and Princess Caroline's development, especially the episode with the miscarriage. The ending to that one got me.

This show is just too damn good.

Pepboy

Finally been released! Worked on the subtitling and was eager to discuss two things in particular:

Ep 11
What do you guys think of Beatrice's reaction to the the "Can you taste the ice cream?" "Yes. It tastes... *sigh* Wonder." I thought she was realizing it was all a lie.
She didn't associate the lake house with ice cream, but went along with it because.... she gave up?

Also, not sure which ep, but is the kid in the
clown dentists
chair
Vincent Adultman?
Certainly looks alike.

All in all, a beautiful season.

Also, cheeky crossposting from the date confirmation thread =p

Regarding the spoiler...
I thought her pause was an indication that she never,
ever actually got to eat ice cream. As a child, constantly denied by her parents,
and as an adult, so twisted by her childhood experiences that she stops herself from wanting it in the first place -- that doing so would make her fat, etc. So that when she is asked, she realizes she doesn't know what ice cream tastes like. So she just comes up with a nondescript adjective. In some ways she has always "wondered" what it tasted like,
so that's all she ascribes to it. I see it as a line that shows how trapped Beatrice was in her own family, and later in her own behavioral habits, to maybe help us sympathize with how she treated BoJack, and how BoJack's issues can somehow be traced back generations. It was probably my favorite line of the season as it made me really put the whole show in a new context.

Rafavert

Regarding the spoiler...
I thought her pause was an indication that she never,
ever actually got to eat ice cream. As a child, constantly denied by her parents,
and as an adult, so twisted by her childhood experiences that she stops herself from wanting it in the first place -- that doing so would make her fat, etc. So that when she is asked, she realizes she doesn't know what ice cream tastes like. So she just comes up with a nondescript adjective. In some ways she has always "wondered" what it tasted like,
so that's all she ascribes to it. I see it as a line that shows how trapped Beatrice was in her own family, and later in her own behavioral habits, to maybe help us sympathize with how she treated BoJack, and how BoJack's issues can somehow be traced back generations. It was probably my favorite line of the season as it made me really put the whole show in a new context.

She did eat ice cream, though. When Honey starts drinking, we see her holding an ice cream. seems to be a freezy pop, though, so your great theory still holds as far as her not knowing what vanilla ice cream tastes like.

LotusHD

Banned

Completely agreed.

She did eat ice cream, though. When Honey starts drinking, we see her holding an ice cream. seems to be a freezy pop, though, so your great theory still holds as far as her not knowing what vanilla ice cream tastes like.

RIP

man, just finished it, yet again a great season! There will obviously be a season 5, but even if it ended here i would be satisfied!
Bojack's smile is just enough

Wood Man

Another powerful season

I want to re watch Beatrice's flashback. I feel I missed a lot of subtle things going on in the background.

Diane was horrible this season. I don't know why she and Mr. Peanutbutter are still together. They're an obvious mis-match.

Princess Caroline's miscarriage episode was rough. Ruthie keeps saying "it's a happy ending" when it really wasn't. It fucks with the viewer big time. I kept expecting things to work out then BOOM credits. fuuuuuck

One of my favorite episodes was Todd's episode. Probably my favorite character in the show.

Rafavert

Another powerful season

I want to re watch Beatrice's flashback. I feel I missed a lot of subtle things going on in the background.

Princess Caroline's miscarriage episode was rough. Ruthie keeps saying "it's a happy ending" when it really wasn't. It fucks with the viewer big time. I kept expecting things to work out then BOOM credits. fuuuuuck

"But it's not real."
"Yeah, well, it makes me feel better."
Soul broken.

My favourite detail in the flashbacks is from 11:
"I come to you, hat in hand" and the image suddenly changes to include said hat in his hand. She didn't remember the hat until he mentioned it. Not really hiding anything, but a detail I personally loved.

Anyone care to predict what happens next season, granted its renewed? And if renewal is a foregone conclusion now, how far into the pre-production phase are they?

Anyone care to predict what happens next season, granted its renewed? And if renewal is a foregone conclusion now, how far into the pre-production phase are they?

I think it'll get renewed; Its left a little too open for it to just end. And I can see the end in sight.
Plus if it weren't going to get renewed, there would be enough people to petition one more season to wrap things up.
I'm not sure what Season 5 will bring, but I can guess that
Diane & Mr. Peanutbutter will either stay together or divorce, PC will probably end up adopting a child, Todd's relationship with that one chick will have its ups and downs, and Bojack will find meaning in his meaningless life.

I think it'll get renewed; Its left a little too open for it to just end. And I can see the end in sight.
Plus if it weren't going to get renewed, there would be enough people to petition one more season to wrap things up.
I'm not sure what Season 5 will bring, but I can guess that
Diane & Mr. Peanutbutter will either stay together or divorce, PC will probably end up adopting a child, Todd's relationship with that one chick will have its ups and downs, and Bojack will find meaning in his meaningless life.

So how far are they in the pre-production? They haven't been renewed. Let's assume that the news doesn't come until January. That's four months wasted. On the flipside, they do pre-production on the down low only to be cancelled. Very disheartening.

Also, do they close out on five seasons of 60 episodes, or do they average out on seven? And do you see the show having a fulfilling type of existential ending, or do they go pompous by delivering something akin to Seinfeld or Lost?

ghostjoke

Banned
EPs 9 and 11 in a single sitting were too much.
"but I've never had a brother" was on the whole other end of the emotional spectrum. Some really nice and clever changes to the formula throughout.

So how far are they in the pre-production? They haven't been renewed. Let's assume that the news doesn't come until January. That's four months wasted. On the flipside, they do pre-production on the down low only to be cancelled. Very disheartening.

Also, do they close out on five seasons of 60 episodes, or do they average out on seven? And do you see the show having a fulfilling type of existential ending, or do they go pompous by delivering something akin to Seinfeld or Lost?

I don't think anyone knows how far along preproduction they are. I can only speculate what kind of plot arcs they may explore.
I don't really see Netflix producing shows for more than 5 or 6 seasons. There is nothing in it for them- they only make money on subscribers, not ad revenue. Once they hook in people, then they can get them into other shows.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

They may not have started yet. And really I don't think it takes anymore than 1 week per episode because I would think the animation is done like South Park. Instead of just Trey Parker you have a writing team. Voice acting can be phoned in in hours.

They may not have started yet. And really I don't think it takes anymore than 1 week per episode because I would think the animation is done like South Park. Instead of just Trey Parker you have a writing team. Voice acting can be phoned in in hours.

I can't tell if this is serious is this serious?

South Park has algorithms to build their characters out of a pool of assets. Lisa Hanawalt draws and designs characters, major and even background, from scratch with a team of artists. Directors are hand laying out background gags. It's an insane amount of detailed work.

Did I just get trolled I just got trolled didn't I.

caliph95

I can't tell if this is serious is this serious?

South Park has algorithms to build their characters out of a pool of assets. Lisa Hanawalt draws and designs characters, major and even background, from scratch with a team of artists. Directors are hand laying out background gags. It's an insane amount of detailed work.

Did I just get trolled I just got trolled didn't I.
Yeah there's world of difference between South Park and the average cartoon

They probably only have got the storyboard or plan in a week

vypek

Forgot to mention earlier that I love how absurd Girl Croosh (?) is in terms of what they write and that their seating changes each scene.

And Diane's file photo is great

MaKTaiL

Ok, I loved this season but something is really bothering me.

How does Hollyhock have a diamond in her forehead? That genetic trace came from Bojack's mom.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Ok, I loved this season but something is really bothering me.

How does Hollyhock have a diamond in her forehead? That genetic trace came from Bojack's mom.

Maybe the diamond is a recessive gene and Bojack's dad happened to have said gene too, the diamond just didn't show?

Veelk

Banned
Maybe the diamond is a recessive gene and Bojack's dad happened to have said gene too, the diamond just didn't show?

Yes, though it's his mom, not his dad.
One of the things he says to Beatrice when they first meet is that she has a diamond like his mom did.

MaKTaiL

Yes, though it's his mom, not his dad.
One of the things he says to Beatrice when they first meet is that she has a diamond like his mom did.
Yeah, but later the show makes us believe he was just saying a pick-up line, he was lying to impress Beatrice.
He said Henrietta had his mom's hair to seduce her too.
The big question is: was he actually saying the truth?

Ploid 3.0

Man what the heck, on episode 11 a character mentioned the assassination of Medgar Evers. This reminded me of his brother Charles Evers, and Charles' daughter which lived right beside me. I used to help her with groceries and her dogs shared my nick name (Toby & Roby. Roby killed by a wild animal, and I forgot how Toby died). Anyway, it seems like Charlene, Tanya her daughter, and her other daughter died a while ago. Crazy stuff, this show is sad already, and now I'm kinda shocked at finding out this.

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah, but later the show makes us believe he was just saying a pick-up line, he was lying to impress Beatrice.
Clearly he was?
Hollyhock's his daughter, the line was to more or less explicitly explain why she had the diamond when he didn't. It's not at all ambiguous or questionable.

Veelk

Banned

You can use the truth as a pick-up line just as easily as a lie. Butterscotch was legitimately attracted to her and legitimately had feelings for her, he just didn't want commitment. Similarly, he probably was telling the truth to
Henrietta, especially given how he broke down begging Beatrice to help her
. Butterscotch doesn't lie about his feelings, as far as I can tell, but that has no bearing on making good decisions.

Ploid 3.0

Maybe that's why he was attracted to them lol.

MaKTaiL

Oh, I loved the
"Chandler's List" reference, hahahaha. I'm a huge Friends fan myself so could this BE any greater?

Quick

Banned
I enjoyed the HIMYM joke way more than I probably should've, and even more afterwards with how the episode unfolds.

"I'm not looking for another dad."
"Great."
"But I've always wanted to know who my mother is."
"Your mother? What do I look like, Josh Radnor?" Nothing? Nothing for Josh Radnor. How quickly we forget."

C4Lukins

Without Gertting into details...and spoilers.

Season 4 was better then Season 1, But not as good as season 2 and 3.

Still really good. Just not as good as the better two seasons.

Rafavert

Also, the "fuck rule" still holds.

For those that don't know, the fuck rule is a hidden rule in BoJack that states that when a character says "fuck", they're permanently removed from BoJack's life. It's only used once per season so far

Herb Kazzazz in S1 "Get the fuck out of my house"
Charlotte in S2 "I'll fucking kill you"
Todd in S3 "Fuck, man. What else is there to say?"
BoJack (wanting to say) to his mom in S4 "Fuck you, mom!"

Rafavert

Well, they already broke that rule with Todd, whose involved with Bojack, even if not to the same extent

He's not really part of BoJack's life, though. Todd clearly wanted to remove himself from BoJack's life. He just couldn't. Might be more accurate to say that the "fuck" is a character's wish to remove themselves from BoJack's life.

Veelk

Banned
He's not really part of BoJack's life, though. Todd clearly wanted to remove himself from BoJack's life. He just couldn't. Might be more accurate to say that the "fuck" is a character's wish to remove themselves from BoJack's life.

But that's momentary too. Todd himself claimed that he was willing to reconnect to Bojack.

Similarly, Bojack didn't want to remove
Beatrice entirely until the Hollyhock incident happened, though he wasn't enthusiastic about getting her back in his life.

I think fuck just denotes the brokenness of a relationship of the specific time. I would argue that it represents a relationship breaking as well, but that doesn't work with
Beatrice since there was no shift there, just Bojack being angry

I think fuck just represents what it represents to most people. A curse to denote a generalized sense of extreme badness.

Watched it: Good season, particularly because they dropped the reference game and went for fully going in on the cycle of abuse. Episode 11 was something else.

The same 'drop the reference, up the speed' thing is happening in Rick & Morty too. I wonder if both are reactions to 2016 being what it ended up being.

Great season. Finished the last few episodes after a night out. Show has managed not to drop the ball, improving or at least remaining excellent up through this season. Continues to be among the highlights of Netflix for me.

Top Bottom