• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bojack Horseman Season 4 |OT| Fuck Man, What Else Is There To Say

okay, not really related to bojack, but i don't know what's going on with netflix...

some show launch without problem, but others, like bojack, have the loading red circle that doesn't stop, stuck at 25% or 85%, even weirder, the sound launch, but not the rest... reseting the app does nothing

any idea?

Qasiel

Just accidentally finished the season without meaning to. Been watching over the past few days and figured I'd get one more under my belt today before going back to doing stuff I needed to do.

The episode was Ruthie. God damn.

PSqueak

Banned
Another subtle thing i liked about the season was Beatrice calling Bojack the wrong name actually has a possible explanation
Bojack introduces Hollyhock to her as "My Daughter", it's possible that Beatrice somehow recognized Hollyhock was the grown up version of the baby she forced Henrietta to give up so her afflicted memory autofilled Bojack as Henrietta due to the Hollyhock connection.

Well, at least that's my theory.

caliph95

Another subtle thing i liked about the season was Beatrice calling Bojack the wrong name actually has a possible explanation
Bojack introduces Hollyhock to her as "My Daughter", it's possible that Beatrice somehow recognized Hollyhock was the grown up version of the baby she forced Henrietta to give up so her afflicted memory autofilled Bojack as Henrietta due to the Hollyhock connection.

Ohhhhh

With the dementia that makes sense

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well

Anyone else catch the Bojack vs Rick and Morty rivalry on Twitter? One Adult Swim exec keeps retweeting tweets dumping on BJH.

Bojack is way better

If Rick and Morty usually scores a 7 or 7.5 with me, then Bojack doesnt usually drop from an 8. Bojack"s peaks are also stronger but I have only watched S1 of R&M so maybe my opinion needs some time to develop.

PixelatedBookake

I think Rick & Morty is generally funnier than Bojack, but Bojack has a lot more heart.

Hmm... I feel that Bojack is funnier overall due to how much more I enjoy when the Bojack characters get into situations over the Rick and Morty characters. Don't get me wrong, Rick and Morty has funny characters but I don't think they have as many as Bojack. I also feel as if Bojack's humor is more consistent than Rick and Morty's as a whole.

I like both shows a whole lot but Rick and Morty is dramatically more rewatchable for me.
Oh definitely, I've only just now started a Bojack rewatch.
Rick and Morty I can just easily throw an episode on whenever.
Guess that's the counterpoint that comes with Bojack's greater continuity/development approach.

If Rick and Morty usually scores a 7 or 7.5 with me, then Bojack doesnt usually drop from an 8. Bojack"s peaks are also stronger but I have only watched S1 of R&M so maybe my opinion needs some time to develop.
S2 contains what I consider some of the highest highs for the show, Mortynight Run, The Ricks must be crazy and Total Rickall, whew, what a batch.

Mike M

Nick N
I don't know if humor is quantifiable, but Bojack just flat out has more jokes of varying degrees of subtly and is way wittier.

And I say that as someone who loves Rick and Morty.

I like shows with an emotional core and strong continuous plot threads. I've only watch the first season of R&M and half of the second season, but I have a hard time connecting with the characters and wanting to stick around. The show is funny though.
Bojack has the emotional depth of a black hole. I don't think I've ever seen a comedy so tragic. Its so fascinating- every aspect of it. But both shows are pretty high in quality.

Overall I feel we are in a real golden era for animation with shows like: R&M, Bojack, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, etc.
All these shows deliver in ways regular tv programming doesn't and its amazing.

I loved the season but I cant shake off this feeling that the characters were all over the place. Specially Tod, Daria and Mr PB.

PSqueak

Banned
Anyone else catch the Bojack vs Rick and Morty rivalry on Twitter? One Adult Swim exec keeps retweeting tweets dumping on BJH.

Why the fuck do people try to create bad blood between two completely different good shows?

I mean what's there to pit them against each other? That they're animated? that they're not suitable for people under 18?

They are completely different shows, good shows, why do this shit?

Astral Dog

Hmm interesting though it sounds strange.

why didn't she treat Hollyhock more than just another girl, or at least give hints she knew it was her husbands daughter, i just assumed it was for comedic purposes, and to reveal who Henrietta was later on as she was important.

Why the fuck do people try to create bad blood between two completely different good shows?

I mean what's there to pit them against each other? That they're animated? that they're not suitable for people under 18?

They are completely different shows, good shows, why do this shit?
Yeah obviously Bojack is far better than whatever that other show is.

Veelk

Banned
I've been trying to articulate my feelings on how to compare and contrast Bojack Horseman and Rick and Morty for a while, but I haven't been able to do it justice. The both go for the same 'feel', if that makes sense. They're dark comedies whose humor and darkness is driven by how emotionally fucked up the main character is. That's why I think people want to compare them. And they're both great shows. Comparing and contrasting them isn't necessarily to say one is definitively better than the other. It can be just for fun.

For me, I think having watched Bojack Horseman first hurt Rick and Morty for me. I posted about how nihilistic the show felt, because it consistently conveys the theme of nothing mattering. No matter how significant anyone's trauma or misery is, it can be either ignored or it can be played off as a joke. Rick and Morty is a show whose humor largely derives from how utterly fucked up it gets, and then it just keeps rolling. Like the Purge Parody episode, that had a justifiably angry girl go full psycho in murdering the wealthy elite of her world and then dancing to the background song playing in their pools of blood. It often feels like Rick and Morty just has no limits of the kind of depravity they're willing to show, and that's the joke. And it's hilarious.

Bojack, in contrast to that, feels like it has limits. It's not to say that the show doesn't go for dark humor, but the humor of it doesn't negate the seriousness. Like there are a lot of jokes centered around Beatrice's dementia, both from her acting funny to Bojack's angry reactions to her. But when Beatrice gets scared and confused, that's treated seriously. When Bojack gets to expressing his anger and misery, that's real.

It's hard to articulate this correctly, because I'm sure you can find some jokes that do play off something serious in bojack here and there. But overall, when a character is in legitimate pain on BH, that matters. When a character is in pain in R&M, that's the joke most of the time. And ultimately, that's sort of why I prefer Bojack to Rick and Morty. They spend so much time dehumanizing characters with dark humor, it's hard to empathize the few times it does want to get real.

So I prefer Bojack, but both shows are great.

thebeeks

Banned

What? Team Bojack forever. Tell that dumb shit to suck a dick!

Seriously though, both shows are fine, I just happen to like Bojack more.

Maybe, but Bojack doesn't actually introduce Beatrice to Hollyhock. Bea and Bojack are arguing about orange juice when Hollyhock interrupts them. Bea sees Hollyhock, her eyes light up and she says
"Oh, hello, it's you." and later "I can't believe you came back, you look just like him."

It's possible Beatrice called Bojack Henrietta out of confusion, and then saw/clearly recognized Hollyhock, and that just cemented Bojack as Henrietta in Beatrice's mind.

Which might further explain why she freaks out when they try to do a live Horsin' Around episode. She's thinking "Why is my maid on my son's TV show?"

vypek

I'm not even sure why those two shows would have a rivalry. Just cause they're cartoons that are airing at the same time? Seems really odd. I enjoy them both a lot for different reasons.

This might be a Horizon and BoTW situation for me where I like both a ton and don't really see one being better than the other no matter how many similarities they may or may not sure.

I can appreciate Bojack releasing with more consistency though.

Bojack is a fairly down to earth drama. Rick and Morty is a crazy experiment show. Just because both shed a light on their main character's emotional states doesn't really make them comparable.

Rafavert

Finally been released! Worked on the subtitling and was eager to discuss two things in particular:

Ep 11
What do you guys think of Beatrice's reaction to the the "Can you taste the ice cream?" "Yes. It tastes... *sigh* Wonder." I thought she was realizing it was all a lie.
She didn't associate the lake house with ice cream, but went along with it because.... she gave up?

Also, not sure which ep, but is the kid in the
clown dentists
chair
Vincent Adultman?
Certainly looks alike.

All in all, a beautiful season.

Also, cheeky crossposting from the date confirmation thread =p

Why, I have half a mind to watch the whole thing before season 4 hits.

MrBadger

Just watched episode 11 and god damn has this season been good. And really dark in a way I wasn't expecting...I like the different direction they went with, focusing the season on
the other characters and Bojack's family, rather than him. I suppose season 3 was his low point and he can't really go any lower.

Bojack is a fairly down to earth drama. Rick and Morty is a crazy experiment show. Just because both shed a light on their main character's emotional states doesn't really make them comparable.

Yeah, both shows are great at what they do. Having said that, I don't really enjoy R&M when it tries to be down to earth. That therapist speech felt like something that could have worked better in Bojack.

I was able to keep my shit together because I was watching the episode together with other people, but if I were to have watched ep 11 by myself, I'd have legit broken down. Powerful stuff.

Amazing season in general too, of course. Definitely in line, if not better than the other ones. Had some great laughs in it too, and I kinda like the dentist-clown/clown-dentist running gag. Hope we'll get a season 5.

MrBadger

And I'm done. Episode 12 was great.
It's so nice for this show to end on a happy note for once, and Bojack for once seems like a better person than when he started off.
This season over all was great, and much darker than before.
PC seriously deserved a happy ending and I fear for what'll happen to Dianne next season.
After S3, I was thinking one more season would be enough to end it, but all the stuff they set up here makes me want to see what's next for the characters. Todd especially.
I like what they're doing with his character and the zombie clown dentist story was the comic relief this season sorely needed, but I hope he's more than just a gag next season

Plum

Just finished the Season. Thought I'd comment on some of the episodes that really got to me then my final thoughts.

Episode 6
As someone who has a habit of putting myself down on a daily basis, the episode really got to me. Knowing that those kinds of thoughts do nothing but harm, yet still having them, and then failing to act on them, can be a vicious cycle. The talk with Hollyhock at the end definitely tied things together, loved it. The art-style change was great as well, it wouldn't have worked nearly as well without it.

Episode 11
Dementia, at least to that level, is one of my greatest fears in life. Of course I haven't had it nor do I know what it would be like,
but the episode did a damn good job at portraying both the illness and the spiral of abuse that families can fall into. Whilst Beatrice's actions can never be excused, they seemed to be almost inevitable, like Bojack's self-destructive nature. The episode as a whole really reminded me of one of my favorite films, It's Such a Beautiful Day;
both manage to portray a decaying mind amazingly well.

Episode 9
whilst being something I can't relate to (I'm a man and I don't want children), the whole twist angle of things and the fact that none of the episode was really PC's fault felt really crushing. Was definitely a downer episode, but a good one.

The Season as a whole was some damn good shit.
The ending leaves the story at a good point, but the 5th season really should be the last. I really don't want to see this do a House of Cards and go on way too long. Despite that, though, the show continues to be one of the best out there.

9/10 would watch again

I didnt realize this, but they did a stealth release of the Original Music from the show on Apple Music. Probably on Spotify too.
Half the songs are from S3E4.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this is probably my favourite season of bojack. everything they went for this season was so so so fucking well done.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I had to take some time to digest everything in season 4. I'm honestly still not quite ready after everything in that season as even though it wasn't as dark as some of the earlier seasons that episode with Bojack's internal thoughts hit so close to home I had to turn the episode off for a while before returning to finish it. That is probably one of the most raw depictions of what it is to suffer from serious depression I have ever encountered and to say I saw myself in Bojack in those moments was damn near too much to take.

That said I really like Bojack after season 4. After the Sarah Lynn stuff from last season I pretty much wrote him off as a character I could ever care for but all the elements in season 4 really seemed to paint Bojack in a better light. His past was fucked all to hell but it was enlightening see it unveiled in full and with such a creative spark as the episode in Beatrice's memories from her time as a child to the current time. Not only that but actually seeing him give an honest shit about Hollyhock actually got me and his freak out over her overdose is one of the best moments I've seen from him.

Puruzi

Banned
Bojack doing everything he could for Hollyhock even after she got taken away from him was really heartwarming to see from Bojack

So something I noticed yesterday while I was watching with my roommate as he caught up

In Stupid Piece of Shit, Beatrice says:
"Give me the baby back, you worthless waste of my husband's jism!"

To which Bojack replies:
"Oh, so you do know who I am!"

Bea didn't recognize Bojack, she still thought she was talking to Henrietta, who slept with her husband.

Top Bottom