• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BoJack Horseman S2 |OT| Hollywoo’s Biggest Comeback – Spoiler Tags until 7/31

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

Binged on both seasons over past couple days, absolutely loved it :)

It's like a better Californication, and a haunting tale of celebrity, depression and self destructive narcissism. Loved it :)

Atrophis

Gotta post the renewal image though. So happy to get the quick confirm.

CK-roasVAAAurgS.jpg

Boney

Banned
Great to hear we're getting a season 3, season 2 was fantastic. What could've been a show played for dumb laughs based on the premise actually feels like an actual person's life, were we see his fears and anxieties based on the what could've been.

So yay season 3

Gotta post the renewal image though. So happy to get the quick confirm.

CK-roasVAAAurgS.jpg

Seems to be Netflix favourite original series. Season 2 was approved just a few days after season 1. Season 3 was also approved just a few days after season 2.

And Sense8 still got no confirmation...

Aiii

So not worth it
Seems to be Netflix favourite original series. Season 2 was approved just a few days after season 1. Season 3 was also approved just a few days after season 2.

And Sense8 still got no confirmation...

Most Netflix shows get renewed during the week they release the season, actually. Sense8 is expensive and I'm not sure how successful it is. The slow build seemed to turn off a lot of people, so I can imagine it's tougher to make a decision there compared to a low-cost cartoon. Otherwise, the Wachowski Siblings have a pretty full schedule, so it might just be that they haven't found the time yet and are holding off the announcements until they know exactly when the next season can be shot.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Episode 11, jesus christ

I didn't know how far they were gong to go with it. I thought maybe the girl would die of alcohol poisoning. Then I thought maybe Bojack would actually...go through with it

This series is harrowing

Opto

Banned
Episode 11, jesus christ

I didn't know how far they were gong to go with it. I thought maybe the girl would die of alcohol poisoning. Then I thought maybe Bojack would actually...go through with it

This series is harrowing

It's weird explaining the appeal of the show to people that don't watch any sort of animation.
"It's a cartoon about a horse guy but it has emotional depth and- oh no, yeah, you need to refresh your drink I understand."

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's weird explaining the appeal of the show to people that don't watch any sort of animation.
"It's a cartoon about a horse guy but it has emotional depth and- oh no, yeah, you need to refresh your drink I understand."

"Its one of the most starkly honestly emotional shows I've ever seen. The entire show is just people talking about their feelings candidly and its absolutely riveting."

Wow. I binge watch all the seasons these last few days and I must say this is one amazing cartoon.

I expected a low budget comedy with some good laughs here and there, but what I got was a comedy/drama that plunge you into the life of a wannabe actor whose life is a complete mess. Bojack is such a great character, you really want him to overcome all his failures and his fears.

All characters got their moments to shine,
Happy birthday Princess Carolyn
, it's incredible how much depth this show can get.

Anyway, I am so happy to see the show renewed by Netflix.

Tapejara

Finished Season 2 a few days and really loved it. Some thoughts:

"Let's Find Out" was the best episode of the season imo. Never lost momentum, and managed to be both hilarious and serious at the same time. As my friend described it after we finished watching: "that was a fucking roller coaster."

Also, episode eleven. Holy shit.
As soon as they started dancing my first thought was "BoJack, don't you fucking dare do what I think you're going to do." Then when they returned to Charlotte's and he said no I was relieved. Then, well, yeah. I can't believe that happened.

Also, seeing
Princess Carolyn kick ass was awesome. I was worried Rutabaga was going to be the one to fuck her over, but that final moment between them ended up being so cathartic.

Edit: Also, as stated above, trying to explain the appeal of the show to someone who doesn't take animation seriously is pretty difficult. I love when cartoons have those pure emotional moments (i.e. Futurama, Rick and Morty has its moments), but I don't think any animated show does it like BoJack.

Mike M

Nick N
Finished Season 2 a few days and really loved it. Some thoughts:

"Let's Find Out" was the best episode of the season imo. Never lost momentum, and managed to be both hilarious and serious at the same time. As my friend described it after we finished watching: "that was a fucking roller coaster."

Also, episode eleven. Holy shit.
As soon as they started dancing my first thought was "BoJack, don't you fucking dare do what I think you're going to do." Then when they returned to Charlotte's and he said no I was relieved. Then, well, yeah. I can't believe that happened.

Also, seeing
Princess Carolyn kick ass was awesome. I was worried Rutabaga was going to be the one to fuck her over, but that final moment between them ended up being so cathartic.

Edit: Also, as stated above, trying to explain the appeal of the show to someone who doesn't take animation seriously is pretty difficult. I love when cartoons have those pure emotional moments (i.e. Futurama, Rick and Morty has its moments), but I don't think any animated show does it like BoJack.

Actually, they kind of form a weird continuum with BoJack on one side and Rick and Morty on the other, with Futurama splitting the difference with sci-fi stories wrapped up in emotional moments and sight gags...

El Odio

Banned
With all the attention I've noticed this show getting with the release of season two I thought I'd take a look and see what all the fuss is about and I ended up binge watching the first 9 episodes of the first season tonight. I didn't really know what to expect going in but what I got was a ingenious balance of comedy and drama. I really enjoy the story going on here with Bojack trying to come to terms with his life and how his assholeness affects the people around him and the whole half human, half animals cast is really neat. The visual gags scattered throughout have me laughing each episode too. Can't wait to finish up S1 and jump right into the next one tomorrow.

Dryk

Episode 11, jesus christ

This series is harrowing
She might have, we don't know! Also I think it all played out exactly as it should have. Having him be a responsible adult at first works well, it shows that he's still trying really hard. Then after Charlotte rejects him it puts him right back in a place where if she came knocking at his door again saying she knows what she wants he'd shrug and go for it.

Fitts

I originally quit this show after two episodes. I watched the third at the urging of this thread and I've been enjoying the series since. I'm a few episodes into the second season now and it definitely seems like the formula gets tighter as the series progresses.

So yeah, thanks for the recommendation, GAF!

Fake edit: Vincent Adultman is one of my favorite recurring characters in anything ever. It's just dumb enough to make me laugh every time he's on screen.

El Odio

Banned
Finished season one early today and holy cap
that drug trip at the in episode 11 was probably my favorite moment of the show combined with the ending at the panel. When this show gets heavy it gets heavy.

Up to episode 5 of the new season and I'm impressed by how consistent everything's been quality wise especially since they can jump straight into the darker themes and not ease you in with comedy.
Winkler's bit on death at Herb's funeral especially.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Man, I binged the last 6 episodes today and got legit upset when I found out there was only 12. I thought Netflix had glitched or something. This is a fantastic show.

Mike M

Nick N
that drug trip at the in episode 11 was probably my favorite moment of the show combined with the ending at the panel. When this show gets heavy it gets heavy.

Up to episode 5 of the new season and I'm impressed by how consistent everything's been quality wise especially since they can jump straight into the darker themes and not ease you in with comedy.

Episode 11 in season 2 is just as heavy if not more so.

MC Safety

2016 is an entire year away!

I like that Bojack went to rescue Todd.

Oh, and no more Vincent Adultman, too. That joke has run its course.

MrBadger

The show did a great job with the ridiculous way Herb died. While any other show would have just played that for laughs, this one turns it into a message about how death can sometimes be meaningless.

Abounder

Banned
Season was all right. The biggest improvement over S1 is that we don't have to revisit Diane's obnoxious family lol

Fitts

On the last episode now and goddamn, this show transforms into the new Eastbound and Down. Not the direction I anticipated at all but I like it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
What the hell was that GAF?! I thought I was in for a roaring comedy, not a fairly deep introspective on the most human animal ever animated about how he views himself and how he thinks the people he cares about view him. To be honest the of the show was a bit weird. It took me 3 weeks to do the first 7 episodes and one afternoon for the rest. It's just something I thought they were gonna keep skimming the surface of, until they said fuck it and just went all in. Of course I'm gonna keep watching but t feels like they wrapped Diana up as well as they wanted to. They ended up as people with people that can hangout for a few of hours at a time but anything more than that is potentially uncomfortable history. I know I have at least one of those.

Man, that "Do you think it's too late for me?", got me rough. This show has reaffirmed two things I'm glad for. That I don't have deep emotional and perception issues, and that I'm never doing drugs.

Probably the most effective use of time-skips I've seen in recent memory. Of course, I have my hand over the rest of the screen at time of posting. No spoilers for me.

EDIT: Holy crap. He... he didn't hear his heroes advise. That's... I'm gonna need some happy videos before I go to sleep.

El Odio

Banned
Episode 11 in season 2 is just as heavy if not more so.
Having finished the season yesterday I wasn't ready for any of that.
When it looked like things were about to go south I was seriously hoping that Bojack was gonna be able to do what was right, even after Charlotte rejected him, but then... just fuck.
Season two was absolutely a step up from the already high bar of the first. I especially enjoyed that last bit at the end with that reoccurring background Monkey. Very encouraging advice. That said I was really sad to see Wanda go without any sense of closure but, given the show's themes, that might be something I'll have to accept.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Just got done with season 2 love this show so much.

Honestly if you're on the fence about this show just go watch it. What a ride.

Soodanim

I've always scrolled past this show and never given it a second look because it looks strange as fuck in a bad way, but last night I got so bored that I typed A into Netflix search and started scrolling through actors to see what Netflix had. I noticed Alison Brie and Aaron Paul were in this, and I'm now interested. Why didn't Netflix send me a personalised email saying "You watched Arrested Development, Community and Breaking Bad on Netflix, well guess who's in this show?"

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Never heard of this but that voice cast is amazing

AniHawk

I've always scrolled past this show and never given it a second look because it looks strange as fuck in a bad way, but last night I got so bored that I typed A into Netflix search and started scrolling through actors to see what Netflix had. I noticed Alison Brie and Aaron Paul were in this, and I'm not interested. Why didn't Netflix send me a personalised email saying "You watched Arrested Development, Community and Breaking Bad on Netflix, well guess who's in this show?"

if the intro doesn't intrigue you with its tone well, there might be other things that will, but the intro should at least intrigue you with its tone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom