• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bojack Horseman Season 3 |OT| Everyday It Gets a Little Easier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bojack is a fucking entitled douche.
Todd pegs him perfectly in the second to last (?) episode. Bojack spends half his time giving mopey soliloquies about how he'll never be happy and the other half sabotaging himself and others. When he talks to Vincent in season 1 about life being a series of closing doors he doesn't seem to realize he's the one closing them.

I mean the whole point of the series is how contradictory Bojack is. People constantly point out how he craves being miserable and alone and he himself acknowledges this. Him constantly sabotaging his life is the only way he gains validation of his self because his self was actuated like that through the years of abuse and failures with his past. It's why showing how he was before he became famous and burnt out was important in S1.

Bojack is going to end up alone, and he wants to end up alone. He's said it every season now, he's toxic, he's poison, everything he touches spirals out of control into a cesspit of misery themselves because he gives them one of his "this is why I'm sad" speeches, as Todd put it.

The point of it all I think is to end things well, where Bojack doesn't find his joy, but at the very least, he finally and honestly from his heart helps somebody else find that thing that they are missing to complete them.

Bojack will never be happy, or fulfilled, but he can at least do something for somebody for nothing more than the sake of doing it for once in his life. And I think by the end, that will be good enough.

Zubz

Banned
With the way the show has been going, I don't see any sort of redemption arc in Bojack's future. They'll tease it but Bojack will fuck up even harder.

I dunno. He technically just enabled Sarah Lynn's death, but between that and Penny last season, Bojack seems to be aware he's at rock bottom; the fact he's now suicidal seems to cement that. He's at a point where he will inevitably kill himself if he doesn't change his behavior.

Besides, I remember the writers stating they feel the same way; not winning the Oscar/having a panic attack around a new kid actor was a nice way to wrap up Bojack's character arc. Meanwhile, Diane, Mr. Peanut Butter, and Princess Carolyn all seem to be facing disasters, and Todd's future seems up in the air. My guess is we'll see a small, slow, but nonetheless noticeable turnaround for Bojack next season, and that'll be his new arc. He'll still be an ass, but he'll finally "be better." Meanwhile, the drama is almost certainly going to shift to Diane's new boss and Mr. Peanut Butter's run for governor crashing horribly, with a side of Princess Carolyn realizing she sabotages herself without Bojack around. And... Todd seems out of the picture right now, but Aaron Paul's an executive producer on the show, and he's a fan favorite. They'll find a way to bring him back into the main story. He's the comic relief so I'm assuming he'll just latch onto a lighter storyline, but it'll be a new season so who knows?

I dunno. He technically just enabled Sarah Lynn's death, but between that and Penny last season, Bojack seems to be aware he's at rock bottom; the fact he's now suicidal seems to cement that. He's at a point where he will inevitably kill himself if he doesn't change his behavior.

Besides, I remember the writers stating they feel the same way; not winning the Oscar/having a panic attack around a new kid actor was a nice way to wrap up Bojack's character arc. Meanwhile, Diane, Mr. Peanut Butter, and Princess Carolyn all seem to be facing disasters, and Todd's future seems up in the air. My guess is we'll see a small, slow, but nonetheless noticeable turnaround for Bojack next season, and that'll be his new arc. He'll still be an ass, but he'll finally "be better." Meanwhile, the drama is almost certainly going to shift to Diane's new boss and Mr. Peanut Butter's run for governor crashing horribly, with a side of Princess Carolyn realizing she sabotages herself without Bojack around. And... Todd seems out of the picture right now, but Aaron Paul's an executive producer on the show, and he's a fan favorite. They'll find a way to bring him back into the main story. He's the comic relief so I'm assuming he'll just latch onto a lighter storyline, but it'll be a new season so who knows?

I mean Todd doesn't really need story arcs. His role is to be a foil to Bojack and a voice to constantly be in his ear "Dude, what you're doing right now is kinda fucked up, again".

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I mean the whole point of the series is how contradictory Bojack is. People constantly point out how he craves being miserable and alone and he himself acknowledges this. Him constantly sabotaging his life is the only way he gains validation of his self because his self was actuated like that through the years of abuse and failures with his past. It's why showing how he was before he became famous and burnt out was important in S1.

Bojack is going to end up alone, and he wants to end up alone. He's said it every season now, he's toxic, he's poison, everything he touches spirals out of control into a cesspit of misery themselves because he gives them one of his "this is why I'm sad" speeches, as Todd put it.

The point of it all I think is to end things well, where Bojack doesn't find his joy, but at the very least, he finally and honestly from his heart helps somebody else find that thing that they are missing to complete them.

Bojack will never be happy, or fulfilled, but he can at least do something for somebody for nothing more than the sake of doing it for once in his life. And I think by the end, that will be good enough.

Ah man, I can kinda of see how that would play out, and honestly? I got a little teary eyed.

Zubz

Banned
I mean Todd doesn't really need story arcs. His role is to be a foil to Bojack and a voice to constantly be in his ear "Dude, what you're doing right now is kinda fucked up, again".

Definitely. But I think his realization that he's asexual/losing $8 million but finding a friend who's not self-centered/destructive like Bojack or Mr. PB couldlead to some development going forward, which would warrant Todd getting an arc of his own.

It's still more likely he'll continue to be a tertiary character who just has cute side stories while the main arcs build to something darker, though. Like him becoming successful while a trying-to-reform Bojack desperately tries to reconnect, or getting dragged into Mr. PB's campaign.

tkscz

Not sure if I need to put spoilers at this point but

Why does Penny consider Bojack her rapist suddenly and why does Bojack think he raped her? He tried to tell her to stop when SHE came onto him. I can see Bojack questioning if he didn't stop her, and that part of him didn't want to, but he did stop her from making that mistake. Is there something I missed or maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Why does Penny consider Bojack her rapist suddenly and why does Bojack think he raped her? He tried to tell her to stop when SHE came onto him. I can see Bojack questioning if he didn't stop her, and that part of him didn't want to, but he did stop her from making that mistake. Is there something I missed or maybe I'm remembering wrong.

First he told her to stop. Then it cut away, whatshername Penny's mum came back and Bojack was clearly fooling around with her.

PSqueak

Banned

It's not so much whenever it happened or not, but that they both realized the whole situation was fucked up in hindsight,

e_i

Season 3 End

Wow. Just wow. Great season. Did not expect
Sarah Lynn to die. That was such a heartbreaking scene with her leaning against Bojack and then dying. Also, it looks like Bojack has a daughter?
I can see this series going two ways for him, either
he finds redemption, or he commits suicide.

IronLich

I too was kinda LTTP, but no regrets. This singular show is why I am hanging on to my Netflix subscription.

Especially Episode 11.

Episode 11 SPOILERS
Just the rapid fire jumpcuts kept the episode red hot, and al the jokes gutbusters (Diane is just an "Asian Daria" had me laughing the hardest.). Sarah Lynn was my absolute favorite character. You knew shit was about to get good whenever she was on screen. Like under the influence she's a character that is so far gone from reality and logic. Her blunt dialogue is what constantly makes me laugh. What a great caricature of teeny bop girls giving in to their now adult temptations and addictions. And this episode brings all of Bojack and Sarah Lynn's interactions from both Horsin' Around, and the current day, full circle. It is definitely within her character to suddenly go back to booze and drugs after getting an AA chip, as if being able to resist her vices for a set period is an achievement. It is definitely within Bojack's character to try and hang out with her on a giant party binge since she was his last resort in terms of a companion. And it is definitely a concentrated blast of EAT SHIT BOJACK HORSEMAN that he ends up destroying her life and denying her one of her dreams of accepting an Oscar on stage. Like him being the cause of her death via overdose didn't hurt me as hard as that. Her not being able to make the Oscars because she was fucked up on all kinds of something at the time... that's much worse. Especially reality smashing into her in that one instant really made that scene hard to process. This is my favorite episode because it is the strongest on both sides of the coin. Constantly funny, until it's not, and then it ruins you.

KodaRuss

I am not sure if I want to keep watching this show or not. About 5 episodes in it is kinda funny but I am not really feeling it. Does the show get better or change much as Season 1 goes on?

Guess Who

Banned
I am not sure if I want to keep watching this show or not. About 5 episodes in it is kinda funny but I am not really feeling it. Does the show get better or change much as Season 1 goes on?

It changes pretty majorly in the second half of season one and continues that into the next two seasons. The first half of season one is a bait and switch.

Aurongel

The first two thirds of season 1 are absolute trash. I honestly tell people that they're worth skipping because of how uninsightful and on the nose they are.

Season 2 onwards is honestly fantastic and season 3 especially has some really fun sequences and emotional scenes that actually hit pretty damn hard.

But that first season was like a bad early 2000s Adult Swim show. It's so scattershot and boring.

It's been renewed for season 4. The season has already been written in full

I know that it was renewed? What process would you estimate they are at? The editing, post production phase? And any chance of Wanda possibly returning? For some odd reason, I have a soft spot for her.

RedHill

Banned
What process would you estimate they are at? The editing, post production phase? And any chance of Wanda possibly returning?

They're probably still working in animation. Don't expect it before July. And I don't think Wanda is back. If she is it'll probably only be a guest spot.

They're probably still working in animation. Don't expect it before July. And I don't think Wanda is back. If she is it'll probably only be a guest spot.

I never expected Wanda to return as a main character, not that she was ever a main character to begin with. The show seems to be fond of having characters from his past return to generate conflict. I could see Charlotte being one such individual. What happened to Wanda? Last I remember, she was paying a pizza delivery man.

One time in high school, Chelsea Jennings (no relation to Kelsey Jannings) and I were driving into the parking lot of Happy Donuts, when the creator of BoJack Horseman threw himself on to the hood of the car to make us think we hit him.

Scared us half to death.

Later on, he made a NetFlix series with the best artist in our drama class.

Todd's speech was the best performance by Aaron Paul since Breaking Bad.

It would be awesome if this fourth season went the way of Moral Orel season 3.

It took way too long but I finally finished, goddamn shit just kept getting dark, really looking forward to where it all goes next season.

Moonkid

Todd's speech was the best performance by Aaron Paul since Breaking Bad.

It would be awesome if this fourth season went the way of Moral Orel season 3.
Christ that would break me lol. I feel like the latter half of this season has dabbled in enough darkness for the time being. I can't see season 4 going this way as we have some glimmers of hope and opportunity, even for Bojack. I'd certainly welcome the show creators going all in to wrap things up though. One of my favouite episodes for MO season 3 is the
apartment block and we see the lives of the three side characters.

Just began Season 3, I've been bingeing the show relentlessly. Oh god.
I really hope they give this series a good ending and hope it doesn't outstay it's welcome. End it while it's good please :)

I just have to say, one of the things this show does that no other show has the balls to do is to have characters not forgive each other. Like, at all. Bojack apologizes with the most sincerity and there is some glimmer of hope that they will forgive him, things will be mended, but they don't. Relationships are complex and tricky and stuff, and while someone can move on, to forgive is something else entirely. It's a huge punch in the gut when Bojack is rejected with no closure, or maybe not your standard closure. He is a fucked up person with good intentions sometimes, but it all go awry.
I don't deal with depression or other mental disorders, but I have friends and loved ones who do. It's hard for me to sit by and watch. One little thing that goes wrong in the morning snowballs into more problems. When they want to start their day on the right foot all they see is the bad stuff.
It's tough and I look for the best in people despite their complexities, but some things just don't have a simple answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom