• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BoJack Horseman S2 |OT| Hollywoo’s Biggest Comeback – Spoiler Tags until 7/31

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did you guys think of Mr. Peanut Butter and Diane's relationship this season. It was entertaining at times, but I'm kind of 'meh'd out over it for some reason.

Unlike last season I could actually understand why Diane would want to be in a relationship with Mr. Peanut Butter, who seemed like a more realistic "person" than he was in season 1, where he was just a naive child in a grown up's body. That last scene was perfect, that's exactly how I imagined he would handle
finding out she came back and didn't tell him.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Just watched episode 7... holy shit they went there

Edit: Finished the entire thing. Amazing. I love it and I really do love Bojack for the complex guy that he is. I dunno, something about his depression and constant fear of being trapped in cycles is really speaking to my depression and fear of being trapped in cycles. How is the realest show on TV about a man who is also a horse?

Nyx

Episode 8 was brilliant!

Laughed so hard when Wanda said about the 2nd screen app comments ''They're losing their tits!!'' ''Oh wait, I was on a breastcancer awareness site'' or something... :D

I also love how this season ended.
The purple (baboon?) dude has no knowledge of Bojack's life. His motivational speech to Bojack from his perspective really is just about running up a hill. But then for the viewer we see the metaphor. At the start of the season (episode 1) we see Bojack trying and failing to get up the hill. Now at the end he's finally made it up the hill, but he's so tired. And then this guy tells him that if he tries each day it will get easier and easier. Bojack can become a better person, despite being pretty shitty, and it will get easier and easier with his active efforts to better himself. The hill is a metaphor, the runner's speech is a metaphor, Bojack is a metaphor, everything is a metaphor.

Manu

I also love how this season ended. The purple (baboon?) dude has no knowledge of Bojack's life. His motivational speech to Bojack from his perspective really is just about running up a hill. But then for the viewer we see the metaphor. At the start of the season (episode 1) we see Bojack trying and failing to get up the hill. Now at the end he's finally made it up the hill, but he's so tired. And then this guy tells him that if he tries each day it will get easier and easier. Bojack can become a better person, despite being pretty shitty, and it will get easier and easier with his active efforts to better himself. The hill is a metaphor, the runner's speech is a metaphor, Bojack is a metaphor, everything is a metaphor.

YOU ARE LITERALLY A METAPHOR

NastyBook

Wow, was dying of laughter at the game show episode, then I hit episode 11...

What.

The.

Fuck?

That line from Charlotte was too fucking real. And people said we didn't need a Season 2.

Mike M

Nick N
A you should, as it dynamically changes with the plot.
Which raises an interesting question for me...

When BoJack backs over the balcony, he passes his pool before he does so. Then there's a white flash and he's in his pool. Continuity error, or a glimpse of how this ends for him juxtaposed with being in the pool to throw people off?

And people said we didn't need a Season 2.

I will own that mistake, but I still think the way they arranged it to keep Diane around as a character consultant on his movie was really clunky. The hook for S3 is a little more graceful, but not much.

Hamlet

Episode 11 -
Man was this episode hard to watch.
Episode 12 -
Great ending for a fantastic season. Really Happy that Bojack went back for Todd and told him how he really appreciates him. Lovely friendship speech there from Bojack. Great season also for Mr. Peanutbutter. Show did a great job in developing him more this season. The last scene with him and Diane was so very sweet.
Fantastic season

Darksol

I completely missed it the first time I watched, but if you take a look at the first couple minutes of the first episode of season 2, Bojack can be seen using a
PB Livin' Smoodie Blend. He chooses the happy face.
Not sure how I missed that.

I love the little stark moments when BoJack is disillusioned. Ep. 3 -
BoJack had that hope of a fantasy life in Maine with Charlotte in the back of his head for a while. He finally is able to ask the real Charlotte about Maine. Slap: "Oh, I was only there for like a month."
One of the great motifs in the show. Life disabusing you of your false notions. It happens in an instant, and immediately proceeds forward, dispassionately leaving you in the lurch.

This show resonates with the dark, scared part of me that feels broken. It's a beautiful show. The kind of beauty that is someone dropping all pretenses and speaking plain reality. The kind of honest vulnerability that makes me want to hug everyone and weather the storm of life together. This show gives me a feeling of solidarity with everyone, experiencing the pain of the human condition. Me and my post are full of shit, and so is BoJack, and let's all be better than we are now!

Also, the gags are funny.

Qasiel

Got around to finishing S2 this afternoon and man, this show's amazing. It can get terribly depressing with its "too real" moments, but the gags and the fact that you end up feeling for the characters just make it compulsive viewing.

S3 cannot come soon enough.

Also, Episode 11. Yep. God damn...

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I can't tell if there's serious revisionist history going on here or if most of the people turned off by the 1st season just haven't bothered picking this up. I know I personally didn't like too much about season 1, although I did finish it. Guess I'll check out season 2 and see for myself.

Goodstyle

Anyone else notice how
that monkey in the finale was slow as hell in the first ep in the season but got faster and faster as it went along? Makes his advice at the end all the more powerful if you ask me.

ElFly

Find that Season 2 is not as well written as Season 1. Season 1 let bad shit happen before our eyes and didn't apologize for it. At best we get Diane going "maaaybe you are taking advantage of Sarah Lynn".

But in this season we get way more people having heart to heart conversations out of nowhere. It feels less natural.

The show is really fun though. Probably funnier than the first season. Just the drama flowed more naturally in S1.

Probably the best part is that Mr Peanutbutter and Diane are more characters than in the first season.

Someone on AV Club just pointed out that Alison Brie
is the screaming voice during the game show.
And upon rewatch, it's definitely her.

:lol

EDIT:
Oh, and upon rewatch, there's an audience member (a grasshopper or something) who shouts, "Oh my god! It's Daniel Radcliffe," and it's also clearly Alison Brie.

Just finished Season 2 It was just as good as and perhaps even better than the first season. Things really did get "nah, he wouldn't...?" at points. I had vaguely heard ep 11 was a real kicker, so even not being spoiled I could see where it was going. It is in the execution though that really sells a certain dread to what happens. Bojack can be as good at serious drama as it is at goofy comedy. Will certainly rewatch.

Not

Banned
OK I finished season 1. I saw what it was trying to do, and I appreciated it more than I thought I would. I liked the creativity during the drug trip sequence-- easily the best part of the whole show, including his "what could have been" hallucination-- the 80's jokes, and the Bojack cutout with Jerry Maguire lines. Nothing else really made me laugh-- just think internally, "oh that's kinda clever. I guess."

I get that Bojack's supposed to be a bad person and we're supposed to follow him as he fucks up his life further, even as he tries to change, but it just doesn't entice me. I hate Mr. Peanut Butter. It's a dog. He's yellow. He's there. Nothing he says is funny. I kinda like Todd except when they make him do stuff against his shiftless character like organize Bojack's house into a tourist attraction and get into business ventures, even if the ideas are stupid. I don't like that Diane's character becomes the object of Bojack's affections simply because she's the main hot female character. It would have shown admirable restraint on the writer's part to never bring that up as a means of tension, as the "fighting over the woman" thing is so, so, so, so played out at this point.

Also not a huge fan of a Vietnamese character being voiced by the white-Jewish Alison Brie, but I guess that's the result of Hollywood's prejudices preventing Asian actresses from becoming famous enough to play lead roles on cartoons. I wish Constance Wu had hit it big before this show was made. Jenny Yang might also have been a good choice. The fact that I can only think of two people is telling, isn't it?

I guess if I enjoyed the drama and the characters I'd appreciate the moments of comedy more, and they might even be funnier to me. I'm bummed, I was really hoping that this show would redeem itself in a spectacular way like everybody said it would. It just seems kinda mediocre.

Musolf815

Episode 11 wrecked me. I needed to walk around the house a bit after that. I haven't felt that kind of like almost sick feeling since Breaking Bad. That was an incredible ride.

Toothless

Finally managed to start the new season after an Internet outage and a week of being ill. So ep1
I'm confused on why BoJack's mom is alive; didn't we see her headstone in BoJack's dream in episode 11 of season 1?
Besides that, I really enjoyed these first couple of episodes; I laughed more at them than I did at any on my recent rewatch.

I love that Charley Witherspoon is back, looking forward to more surprise returning characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom