• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bojack Horseman Season 3 Trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakken

Hyped! Currently rewatching (almost done with S1) and am loving it just as much if not moreso than the first time. One of the most consistently hilarious shows on TV (up there with Silicon Valley for me in terms of how many times I laugh per episode), but it also manages to really deliver on the heavier, emotional moments.

Russ T

Banned
It's interesting to see how they've changed how the show is pitched to the audience.

Here's Season 1's trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1eJMig5Ik4

Can't wait for S3

Man I'm glad I never watched that trailer. Watched it based on friends' recommendations, but that trailer probably would've put me off. That's an amazing contrast to what I got out of the series. Can't wait for the new season. It's honestly my favorite thing to come out of the Netflix Originals project.

Sblargh

Banned
Hyped! Currently rewatching (almost done with S1) and am loving it just as much if not moreso than the first time. One of the most consistently hilarious shows on TV (up there with Silicon Valley for me in terms of how many times I laugh per episode), but it also manages to really deliver on the heavier, emotional moments.

I'm thinking of rewatching, but I watched so many of those "funniest moments" compilations on youtube, that maybe I just did, only in a shittier, less satisfying way. :(

One of those shows that I've been waiting for the next season. Been rewatching some season one episodes and was reminded how much Princess Carolyn has tried to help. Wonder if Bojack will wisen up on that this season. Either way, looking forward to lots of funny mixed with some of that surprisingly well done (and at times uncomfortable) drama.

I would have sincerely bet money on Sarah Lynn dying in S2. Not sure this series is going to give us any deaths that don't personally fuck with Bojack in a serious way.

Sblargh

Banned
My bet is on Todd because that would fuck me up the most.
And because it would make that line about moments with friends fuck me up the most.

Atrophis

Stop it, they can't kill Todd. That would be too much even for this show :/

Sarah Lynn would at least make sense because of how messed up she is and it would fit with the character to die young like so many other broken celebrities.

Stop it, they can't kill Todd. That would be too much even for this show :/

Sarah Lynn would at least make sense because of how messed up she is and it would fit with the character to die young like so many other broken celebrities.

yeah, sarah lynn would be a low emotional cost kill while making the most sense

After the prom episode I would honestly not put anything past them.

but then this

This show is going to end with Bojack blowing his brains out isnt it?

This would be the least interesting way to end the show. Slightly below "it was all a dream." I say this as someone who studies / teaches writing.

edit: unless it happens midway through a season and the rest of the show deals with the consequences.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This would be the least interesting way to end the show. Slightly below "it was all a dream." I say this as someone who studies / teaches writing.

edit: unless it happens midway through a season and the rest of the show deals with the consequences.

Its not something sit coms or Western cartoons deal with much if at all, let alone playing it for more than some cheap dark joke like Family Guy or anything by Seth McFarlane might. I could only see a show like the Venture Bros. venturing into this territory, it already has to some extent, and it could certainly be interesting. I was being mostly factious with my post but with how the show loves to just dump on Bojack and his mental state of being I could see it, especially with how dark things have been getting.

aBarreras

I just finished watching season 2. Fuuuuuuck that.

You just knew it was gonna get bad but man they went far with it. I honestly don't know how much lower they can go.

man, i think im gonna rewatch this because i dont remember shit,
the prom thing is when bojack makes out with the deer's daugher or something? D:

Guess Who

Banned
No way do they have Bojack blow his brains out. Not gonna happen. Whole show is clearly structured as a redemption story.

HStallion

No way do they have Bojack blow his brains out. Not gonna happen. Whole show is clearly structured as a redemption story.

I was thinking that going into the second season but that seemed to only reinforce the idea that maybe things just won't work out for Bojack no matter what he tries or does, sometimes because he fucks it up himself and sometimes because the universe just doesn't want to let him win in the long run. Its actually why I like the show, its pretty fucking bleak in a lot of ways, even when its hopeful its still a pretty big downer.

?

The show's been structured with the question if Bojack can be redeemed. That hasn't even been answered yet because honestly he's done a lot in the present to show that he might not.

RJT

I worked on the subtitling, so unless you watched in Portuguese, I don't deserve the credit =)

I did watch it in Portuguese, and thought subtitles were pretty good, considering how hard it is to translate such a pun heavy show. Great job!

Guess Who

Banned
?

The show's been structured with the question if Bojack can be redeemed. That hasn't even been answered yet because honestly he's done a lot in the present to show that he might not.

Of course it hasn't been answered yet, the show's still ongoing, but it's obvious from both the tone of the show and everything I've read from the creator outside it. The last speech in season two is probably the most on-the-nose representation of the show's core philosophy - yes, people can change, but it's very difficult and you have to work at it. This idea that Bojack will just keep repeating the same mistakes forever and never become satisfied with his life until he blows his brains out would be totally antithetical to all that, and it'd be an edgy, cynical move uncharacteristic of the show.

He's going to jump off a bridge, just like Secretariat. Or he's about to until Diane stops him.

And then after that, nothing changes for Bojack. Having his life saved provides no new insights into the value of his own happiness and he sits in a room alone, while the camera dollies in on his face, godfather 2 style. Fade to black.

HStallion

Of course it hasn't been answered yet, the show's still ongoing, but it's obvious from both the tone of the show and everything I've read from the creator outside it. The last speech in season two is probably the most on-the-nose representation of the show's core philosophy - yes, people can change, but it's very difficult and you have to work at it. This idea that Bojack will just keep repeating the same mistakes forever and never become satisfied with his life until he blows his brains out would be totally antithetical to all that, and it'd be an edgy, cynical move uncharacteristic of the show.

Maybe we are watching two different shows but more often than not, Bojack doesn't learn from his mistakes and many times double or triple downs on them because of pride or jealousy, or some stupid thing. Where a lot of sit coms would let the character off through some deus ex machina or convoluted series of events, or just reseting like many do after the credits roll, Bojack just keeps rolling with things. In fact I think what I like about the show is how learns the wrong lesson from a lot of the big moments in his life. So he does change but sometimes I wonder if he's just moving sideways instead of actually advancing.

?

BoJack won't kill himself.

Calling it now.

That's not what this show is about, and if you seriously think that a show about a mentally ill man that ends with him committing suicide is good writing....

i just recently watched it and i still dont

this show is weird because i love it but i dont remember much from it.

The main thing that remains with me after watching episodes are the moments where the show pulls the rug out from underneath Bojack's zany antics and cold harsh reality and consequences thunder down on him. There aren't many but holy crap those moments above all should really stay with anybody who's regretted not making better choices in their lives.

Calling it now.

That's not what this show is about, and if you seriously think that a show about a mentally ill man that ends with him committing suicide is good writing....

I wasn't personally talking about him killing himself. I was talking about what the story at its core is about which isn't simply a redemltion tale from what I've seen at least.

That being said killing himself wouldn't necessarily be poor writing if done right. I mean we've all seen the stories of characters coming back from their lowest points and getting that happy ending. The show has had several characters die already and leave unhappy lives. Bojack himself has already permanently damaged most of his relationships and it's honestly a miracle that somenod them like Todd are still around him. Having a dark, bleak ending would fit in with how dark and bleak this show is.

HStallion

Calling it now.

I don't think he'll kill himself but I don't think he's going to go up in life. If anything he's going to keep along this middling path or worse crash and burn in a serious way, worse than he's already done. As I said I like the show because it doesn't pull any punches and the one character I really don't care for is Adultman because I feel that ruse should have been given up some time ago considering how the show tends to handle zany sitcom antics having real repercussions.

I honestly doubt that he'll kill himself as the creator has had a couple interviews saying that while he certainly wants to keep pushing the envelope he wants the feeling at the end of the series to be like the last episode of Season 2 when he talks to the macau. Babboon? Whatever. That no, everything isn't alright, but things'll get a little better as long as you try. I think unfortunately because they didn't know if they'd get a 3rd season they kinda crammed that bit on the end of the 2nd season and made everything with Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter work out which is why it felt very rushed and didn't follow very well.

But man, I read a lot of articles and interviews about this show to dissect it even more and I love what the creator said about the prom episode, that he knew "some fans would not be able to take it, they'd no longer be able to like Bojack and as a result would stop watching the show and we had to be okay with that" (paraphrased obvs) and just how they went over like, every single thing in that episode to make sure that it was what they wanted to present and got across what they were going for. And you watch it and watch it again and you see the little things that make you doubt certain things, you hear Bojack say "Go to bed, Penny" SPECIFICALLY, you see that when he goes into the boat he leaves the door open, you see all these small things.

It was a huge risk. I love it when a show takes risks like that that they may alienate their viewer by keeping things in line with how the characters would actually act and react.

Bojack Horseman just feels so...real to me. It's SO stupid to say that about a talking horse-man but like...when he says shit about depression it gets way too real for me as someone who suffers from it. It's one of the only accurate portrayals of depression I've seen on TV, epitomized by the other best episode of the season when he's on the game show and Mr. Peanutbutter sits down with him and gets real and they have this convo:

Mr. Peanutbutter: "You're a millionaire movie star with a girlfriend who loves you, acting in your dream movie! What more do you want? What else could the universe possibly owe you?"
Bojack Horseman: "I want... to feel good about myself. The way you do. And I don't know how. I don't know if I can."

Or the amazing line at the end of the premiere with his mother where she tells him, "You were born broken, that's your birthright. And now you can fill your life with projects. Your books and your movies and your little girlfriends but it won't make you whole.
You're BoJack Horseman. There's no cure for that."

Like FUCK.

This show is incredible.

Dammit I just read another article where someone noticed the only two times in the entire show when a character has used "fuck" was when Herb said "I did fine! I had a good life. But what I needed then was a friend, and you abandoned me. And I will never forgive you for that. Now get the fuck out of my house." and when Charlotte says "If you contact me or my family ever again I will fucking kill you!"

Both times when someone important in his life has kicked him out of there's due to his betrayal, permanently.

I don't think they've announced it's the last season. And if the show ends in suicide that'd be a way to end it I guess, but it kind of cheapens out the S2 ending where he's out there putting the effort to improve himself, one step at a time.

HStallion

Wait why all this talk of suicide of Bojack, please don't tell me it's the last season?

No I made a dumb joke and it kind of spun out of control. Bojack will actually transcend karma it to reach Nirvana in the final episode.

I'm still curious if the bad season 1 reviews came from people reviewing the first couple of episodes vs the whole show. Because by the second half/last third the show had reached the level of writing that got season 2 its high ratings.

Agreed. I think the first season stumbled to find it's footing the first couple episodes, which I still enjoyed, but once it figured out what it wanted to do the second half of season 1 was just as legit as season 2.

Russ T

Banned
I'm still curious if the bad season 1 reviews came from people reviewing the first couple of episodes vs the whole show. Because by the second half/last third the show had reached the level of writing that got season 2 its high ratings.

I know a lot of people personally who watched the first couple episodes and quit because it wasn't funny.

I tried to push them to try it again, telling them it's only really tangentially a comedy, and that it gets a lot better, but nobody listened.

):

I know a lot of people personally who watched the first couple episodes and quit because it wasn't funny.

I tried to push them to try it again, telling them it's only really tangentially a comedy, and that it gets a lot better, but nobody listened.

):

It really sucks when this happens because everybody who loves it, outside of the better comedy in season 2, always say it's because of how 'real' the show gets with some scenes. Like the 'tell me I'm a goodperson' scene is just fucking heart wrenching.

B33

Banned
I identify with BoJack as far as his melancholy and dysfunctional parents are concerned, and the final scene from Season 2 resonated with me.

"It gets easier."

"Huh?"

"Every day it gets a little easier."

"Yeah?"

"But you've got to do it every day, that's the hard part. But it does get easier."

"... Okay."

The execution and context make this moment pop. It's the perfect conclusion to the second season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom