• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bojack Horseman Season 4 |OT| Fuck Man, What Else Is There To Say

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
12 was good but not as strong as 9 or 11. Seems like mostly setup.

The continuity in this season was superb. Stuff like the coffee, Beatrice's baby doll, and Todd's costume.

Binged the whole thing already. Very strong season. Episode 11 was so perfectly detailed and handled. The final shot of episode 12 was incredibly powerful too.

LotusHD

Banned
Just finished, it might have been the best season yet. Not entirely sure, because Season 3 was strong as hell too, and well... it didn't have the election subplot, which admittedly went on for a bit too long, and was missing a very vital secondary character. :(

Also felt like Todd could've had more to do this season, compared to last season where I really enjoyed his friendship with Emily. Though I suppose it maybe makes sense in the context of
him still being separated from Bojack.
PC continued to be great as always. As for Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter, they were cool, though I wish
we'd get some damn closure on their relationship, really felt like they were inches away from agreeing to divorce one another. They're just ultimately not compatible for one another. Like Diane said, if you squint, you can see why they'd be drawn to one another, but it just doesn't work in the long term. Oh, and on that note, thank god her and Bojack still aren't a thing.
As for the titular character himself, his arc was pretty much flawless.

At the very least, I do feel that Episode 11 is probably the best episode of the entire show.

At any rate, I continue to be glad as hell that this show exists.

EDIT:

Oh jeez, almost forgot, best part of this season was easily learning more about Beatrice.

It's really interesting how this season focused so intently on showcasing how our past is so deeply connected to the present. Lots of shows would maybe introduce the dad character for a season as a way for us to connect with the main characters pain.

Also really heartbreaking how we never, ever see Eddie again. I was totally expecting him to show up.

jakomocha

Sorry if it's already been asked, but does anyone know if Netflix made a recap for Season 3 like they did for Seasons 1 & 2? I can't find it anywhere but I need a refresher on the last season.

Paz

One of the easiest seasons to watch through the first 2/3 until you realize that's just a setup for the last 1/3 to be packed with the most meaningful events in the show to date.

Brilliant in every way.

Moonkid

Whew, what a season.

I liked episode 11, gave me flashbacks to Moral Orel, but it's sort of a pet peeve I have when an entire episode is dedicated to flashbacks making previously unlikable or dubious characters sympathetic, would have preferred it to spend half the time on it and moved on. The scribbled out face on Henrietta was great but knowing it also serves as a way of drawing out a plotline for the next season kinda undermines the effect.

Dug Hollyhock and Woodchuck, Katrina not so much. Wish we saw Kelsey again :( I laughed out loud every episode and the social commentary continues to be on point. Looking forward to what they do in the next season.

edit: Fuck Bojack's granddad.

Guess Who

Banned
Just finished the end of the season. This show is fucking wonderful every year and we are all blessed that it continues to exist. It's super late/early so I don't have time or energy to really articulate everything, but mostly I'm just glad they
finally let Bojack start growing as a person
as that was the main thing I wanted out of a new season. I'm also glad they finally
call out how shitty Diane and PB's relationship is at the end of the season. I loved the way season one subverted the Expected Trope by not letting Bojack hook up with Diane, but I guess I was worried that their character arc from then on would just be "Diane and PB are so different, but they still find a way to love each other at the end of the day!" which would be kind of gross in its own way given their issues.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Episode 9 was way too much for me going back to process it. I want that character to deserve a win next season,

Keasar

Holy shit that was incredible. Another great season. Especially episode 11 was fuckin' heartbreaking.

Why the fuck is a comedy/drama show about animal hybrids ironically more human than other shows with just humans?

VAD

I just finished the season and holy shit, I don't know what to think of it.
On one hand you have Beatric being a criminal poisoning Hollycock. On the other, she had a terrible life that made her do it with the help of the dementia. She also saved Holly's life before she was born. Bojack knew that and he still let her rot in that nursing home. For once, he did not fuck things up and still came out as a bit of an asshole. It was still nice to see him happy to have a family. Happy for Todd finding someone. Interesting that the tables have turned for Mr PB now that he is in a worse situation for once. And a special mention for Princess Carolyn, her sterility episode was way better than Robin's in HIMYM.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
episode 11 is monstrously difficult to watch.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
i honestly don't know how they did it, but I think that was the best season to date. just fantastic.

Oberon

Banned
it's sort of a pet peeve I have when an entire episode is dedicated to flashbacks making previously unlikable or dubious characters sympathetic

edit: Fuck Bojack's granddad.

Ib4 next season has an entire episode dedicated to make us sympathise with the Grandad

Great season. I love anti "happy ending" in this show.

I feel like Todd's
clown dentist
storyline in the second half of the season was mostly filler. It didn't do much to move his arc forward until
the BBB agent asked him out at the end
. It's like the writers didn't really know what to do with him while the rest of the main cast had their issues to deal with, and that's somewhat disappointing.

Still loved the season, though.

Berordn

I feel like Todd's
clown dentist
storyline in the second half of the season was mostly filler. It didn't do much to move his arc forward until
the BBB agent asked him out at the end
. It's like the writers didn't really know what to do with him while the rest of the main cast had their issues to deal with, and that's somewhat disappointing.

Still loved the season, though.

Yeah, Todd's whole arc was really just going through the motions of what a Todd story is supposed to be. I was expecting him to have an actual confrontation with Bojack at some point but him realizing the futility of it all was kind of development, in a sense?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Todd really has to 'do' anything. You need moments of levity or absurdity for the weight of the rest of the humour to work; it would be too relentless without it. The rest of the cast have sufficient weight to handle that doing anything else with Todd but that surrealism would have been too much. I don't think people realize how much his parts do to create breathers - you don't notice their presence, but you'd certainly notice their absence.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Shit. It's out. Goddam you day one bingers.

No other shows has subverted my expectations like this. You could pick a favorite episode but without everything that has come before they wouldn't be your favorite episode.

After the last season ending and what it means to Bojack and the show in general and whole concept of anthropomorphism as a way to disarm and connect you with real emotions I'M NOT READY.

NotLiquid

At first I thought the "reveal" in the final episode - and by extension episode 11 since I didn't connect the dots at that point that
Butterscotch was boning Henrietta, I thought it was a red herring and that Beatrice was only assuming it was him but it was actually BoJack
- was a bit of a cop-out. I felt like Season 4 was setting up a charge for BoJack being burdened with the ultimate responsibility for someone in his shoes and history. But the more I thought about it the more it made sense.
I guess it's just the nagging feeling I had from the moment it was revealed that Hollyhock had 8 dads, a point she reiterated, that she didn't need one more, and that had me worried that this wasn't a plot thread that could end in a satisfying way. But the revelation that they're actually half-siblings is surprisingly poignant and gives BoJack a much better resolution. He finally has someone who he can use as a frame of reference to be a better person.

I guess my one issue now is I'm not entirely sure where his story arc can go from here. This season dealt with some of his innermost personal demons, and the revelation that
he is not Hollyhock's dad likely means the show isn't going to explore the potential of BoJack being a parent again. Like mentioned earlier, I felt that the idea of him being a parent would possibly be the ultimate test for him because almost the entirety of his psychological complex is something that is owed to his parents. But now that he's "resolved" his issues with his mom, established a new familial relationship with Hollyhock and gotten himself a new gig it feels like we're back at Season 1 where from now on it's likely only going to be "business as usual" for him going into the next Season. I don't expect this series to end with him killing himself because he tried in Season 3 and failed. Trying to do that again isn't an option since that would go back on everything that's happened in Season 4, the fact that this season is ending on what is ostensibly his most positive "silver lining" moment. Princess Carolyn also for what it's worth gets something of a "conclusion", and even though Todd's entire storyline was the weakest this season, he kind of gets a conclusion as well - even though it's essentially a rehash of his Season 3 ending but with a different girl who acknowledges and appreciates his asexuality. The only characters that feel like they'd benefit from another season at this point is Diane and Mr. PB, and lord knows how it's going to end for them now. I just hope this doesn't eventually end up with Diane and BoJack getting together; at this point I think they're way better off as friends in spite of all the subtle "will they or won't they" hints that's been peppered throughout the last few seasons. Despite BoJack being such a minefield of issues and emotions it's probably fair to say Diane is the most complex character of the show, and the way they handle her going onward is probably going to be the key to giving this show a proper sendoff.

GeoGonzo

I find myself constantly rewinding 10 seconds to listen again to jokes/puns/gags or pausing to read signs and such. Either this is a pretty densely packed show or I'm the dense one here.

Anyway, loved the season. I may have some more thoughts later but for now.... I'll just say that PC's tongue twisters are the best.

Berordn

I don't think Todd really has to 'do' anything. You need moments of levity or absurdity for the weight of the rest of the humour to work; it would be too relentless without it. The rest of the cast have sufficient weight to handle that doing anything else with Todd but that surrealism would have been too much. I don't think people realize how much his parts do to create breathers - you don't notice their presence, but you'd certainly notice their absence.

I think we're all pretty well aware of the ultimate point of Todd's inclusion in the show, it's just that in past seasons he managed to be the source of most of that lighthearted counterbalance while also being integrated into the main plot.

Crazy stuff like Disneyland or Cabracadabra added levity to the show while also developing his character and absurdly advancing the main arc along by tying other characters into Bojack's shenanigans. Zombie Dentists didn't really do anything but get in PC's way during her breakdowns.

As dark as Episode
's flashback (and other parts) was, it was weirdly yet interesting how
the past and present crossover each other they way they did

caliph95

Yeah I feel like we are almost done with character arcs with really
Pb and Diane
being the ones that need it

Next season should be the final I don't see more they could do without stretching it even Todd was on autopilot and only really developed in the end

SDCowboy

I managed to binge the entire season yesterday.

Pros: The show continues to be be amazingly real with it's drama. I also really liked how subtly and intelligently they handled the overarching political satire.

Cons: I feel like there maybe aren't enough cliff hangers for next season. It's largely just Mr. Peanutbutter and Diane.

As a side-note, I hope Bojack and Princess Carolyn end up together.

caliph95

I managed to binge the entire season yesterday.

Pros: The show continues to be be amazingly real with it's drama. I also really liked how subtly and intelligently they handled the overarching political satire.

Cons: I feel like there maybe aren't enough cliff hangers for next season. It's largely just Mr. Peanutbutter and Diane.

As a side-note, I hope Bojack and Princess Carolyn end up together.
Yeah the political was better than I thought it would be and more subtle than I thought it would be

Though it helps they likely planned it before Trump IIRc

SDCowboy

Yeah the political was better than I thought it would be and more subtle than I thought it would be

Though it helps they likely planned it before Trump IIRc

Yeah I was afraid it was going to be in your face, but thankfully, I was wrong.

SDCowboy

I find myself constantly rewinding 10 seconds to listen again to jokes/puns/gags or pausing to read signs and such. Either this is a pretty densely packed show or I'm the dense one here.

Anyway, loved the season. I may have some more thoughts later but for now.... I'll just say that PC's tongue twisters are the best.

That's probably because the humor in this is very subtle and intelligently done. Kind of like with classic Simpsons. The viewer has to get why what was said or done was funny.

Also the humor is crammed between so much real feeling drama, that sometimes I feel it can catch one off guard (which is what is so amazing about the show, IMO). lol

Tall4Life

The politics stuff was fun at first, but I thought it dragged on a little long and was kind of a jumping the shark moment for a few characters, like
when Todd almost becomes governor of California
. The other characters are at their best and most impactful when they and their stories revolve around Bojack; after all, the show is called Bojack Horseman, not Bojack and his Friends.

The opening of episode 6 had me in fits of laughter, I'm wondering "should I be laughing at this? I've known this pain" yet it encapsulates depression so well with a high level of bleak humour.

I'm finding this season to be killing it so far, hope it can maintain that momentum until the end.

Top Bottom