• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bruno Mars vs. the Weeknd: Who reminds you more of MJ?

Which of these two musicians reminds you more of MJ?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Weeknd sounds more like MJ, but Bruno is more of the total package that MJ was. Overall, Bruno takes it. Also, shout out to the mod who made a real poll for this thread!

3JORN

Bruno's done a lot of covers of MJ's songs on youtube. Along with his SNL sketch where he sang several MJ songs, I think he's one of the closest. Weeknd though can sound like MJ too.

I always felt Bruno was much more Michael Jackson-esque. He even did a bunch of music videos with a Jackson 5 era theme right down to the video quality having a sort of chroma. I've never really gotten a Michael Jackson feeling from The Weekend. His music and the way he handles the subject matter feel very modern, and thus un Michael Jackson.

Davide

The subject matter of In the Night is pretty similar to Slave to the Rhythm and Do You Know Where Your Children Are.

E92 M3

bring a bunch of molly & a hot blonde chick back to the apt, spin the trilogy and tell me the weeknd is terrible

GPVFPMA.gif

sphinx

the piano man
Throw in a little Prince too for his multiple instrument proficiency. He can't play nearly as many instruments as Prince could, but Bruno's guitar and drum ability are often overlooked by the mainstream.

it's strange cause we could see James Brown was a clear influence for MJ and Prince, but all of the three reached legend status

with Bruno we can see he's following the steps of these three but I don't see any evolution.

MJ's progress in the music is absolutely insane, compare the "Off the Wall" Michael with "Dangerous" Michael, it's two different people with two different records.

it's like every album, he'd kill the current Michael and be reborn.

Bruno has looked, sounded and behaved exactly the same always,

at certain point you ask yourself "ok, what else?"

he really has to work on that.

Van Bur3n

Didn't know who this Weeknd was until I heard some songs. I knew the songs, just not who was behind them.

I'm familiar with Bruno Mars and he's always reminded me of MJ.

Neither

Chris Brown is the closest you're ever going to get from a modern day artist.

He certainly has the voice and dance moves to put him up there...

If it weren't for his seemingly innate desire to take the MJ "Bad" image from it's campy inception, to a truly visceral, much more grounded realised form when making it his own...

His tunes are still dope though...

doby

Neither really.

There's obviously inspiration for both of them given that MJ is the most iconic pop star ever but neither try to fit into the MJ mould nor probably want to.

Tonally The Weeknd sounds more like him, Bruno sometimes does buts there's more or a rasp in his voice.

Performance wise Bruno gives a far more fun and inclusive performance than MJ ever did, not to say MJ performances were lesser, they just had a different feel.

Bruno probably does more cocaine

so him

Weeknd def fucks more tho
what gives you the idea bruno does more?
The Weeknd seems to REALLY like his drugs. Bruno however was arrested.
Look at the link I showed the other guy

and Weeknd has been arrested too. For hitting a cop. He also tweeted hashtag bluelivesmurder
I won't be surprised when news of the weeknd dying from OD hits in the coming years.
what? you think he will O.D?
I'm surprised Weeknd isn't dead with how much he loves his drugs.

http://people.com/music/the-weeknd-drug-use-making-music-interview/

i guess that can be interpreted as him not doing as many drugs these days.
Neither really.

There's obviously inspiration for both of them given that MJ is the most iconic pop star ever but neither try to fit into the MJ mould nor probably want to.

Tonally The Weeknd sounds more like him, Bruno sometimes does buts there's more or a rasp in his voice.

Performance wise Bruno gives a far more fun and inclusive performance than MJ ever did, not to say MJ performances were lesser, they just had a different feel.
you posted exactly at 4:20PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom