• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bruno Mars vs. the Weeknd: Who reminds you more of MJ?

Which of these two musicians reminds you more of MJ?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised Weeknd isn't dead with how much he loves his drugs.

Anyway it's Bruno, although in terms of who is better it's Weeknd, even with Weeknd being super boring these days.

Voyr

Banned
Take one listen to "Lonely Night" by Weeknd and burn this thread down.

Bruno is more Morris Day than he is MJ.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I like the Weekend better, but Bruno is definitely the overall performance. The dance, sound, etc. He's the whole package like MJ

LionPride

Banned

Da-Kid

Bruno is a better entertainer, has loads more style, has a ton more range than Weeknd too. I'd say Bruno is Motown, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye.

I don't think neither is MJ though.

jwhit28

Justin Timberlake is a better MJ than both of them. Bruno Mars feels like other Motown acts, The Weeknd reminds me more of Prince (not talking about stage performance) with his subject matter and lean towards electronic music.

Neither are close but I would say that The weeknd is more reminiscent of Prince while Bruno Mars is like MJ. Bruno mars has more range in the type of songs that he has. It doesn't really seem like mars has a specific template that he uses with each album.

pswii60

'I feel it coming' sounds like Weeknd is a MJ tribute act. Bruno Mars is more authentic.

But let's be honest, nobody is ever going to be another MJ, in the same way that nobody is ever going to be another Freddie Mercury (even though Lambert does a good show). Some stars are just so insanely unique and talented that they can never be duplicated. And it wasn't just about their voices either.

Uptown funk or whatever is basically Brunos best MJ impersonation attempt.

It worked imo.

What?!
No way man.
It was more like Bruno's Prince/The Time (a.k.a Prince pretending to be a whole band on an entire album because he was a control freak who really liked writing and playing music) impression.
MJ rarely made tracks like Uptown Funk; that song is firmly planted in the subgenre of the "Minneapolis sound", a subgenre which was pioneered and perfected by Prince.

Davide

Bruno Mars has a voice reminiscent of MJ but his style is more like James Brown or even Prince, if anything Uptown Funk is closest to Jam on Dangerous.

The Weeknd is like MJ with his Invincible voice singing Thriller-era songs with modern production. Wanderlust, Can't Feel My Face, In the Night, A Lonely Night, I Feel It Coming. Starboy is like the MJ/Daft Punk collaboration I hoped for.

Korey

The Weeknd is a really good singer.

Bruno Mars is a singer + entertainer (he dances and shit). That's more like MJ right?

kodecraft

The Weeknd hands down. The Weeknd from a music production and vocal standpoint sounds like MJ. He just doesn't do all that dancing. MJ is more then dancing !

sa201674

Banned
Well, none of them can dance as well as MJ.
At least we still have MJ-inspired artists this generation.
Where are the Janet Jackson's of this generation?

Linkura

Bruno for sure out of those two choices. He's not that great, but The Weeknd is overrated. Bruno at least has Uptown Funk and tries to entertain in his live performances. He was chosen for the Super Bowl for a reason.

Usher and Chris Brown were both great dancers in their heyday, but Usher has been downhill for years and Chris Brown is an abusive asshole. JT has been out of the music biz for too long (the Trolls song was shit and doesn't count). So right now, I don't think we really have an MJ successor.

LionPride

Banned
Bruno for sure out of those two choices. He's not that great, but The Weeknd is overrated. Bruno at least has Uptown Funk and tries to entertain in his live performances. He was chosen for the Super Bowl for a reason.

Usher and Chris Brown were both great dancers in their heyday, but Usher has been downhill for years and Chris Brown is an abusive asshole. JT has been out of the music biz for too long (the Trolls song was shit and doesn't count). So right now, I don't think we really have an MJ successor.

20/20 Experience came out in 2013 and he's releasing a new album this year I believe...

highrider

Banned
Absolutely not.

Janet Jackson eclipsed her own damn brother musically for fucks sake. So, there's no way in hell that Beyoncé isn't in the same conversation in a post self-titled album world

Love Janet, but no, just no. Not even close. And Beyoncé is not a dancer. Ciara, Janet Jackson, are dancers. Nothing about her dancing looks effortless. Vocally and song wise she's up there though.

Bruno Mars has a voice reminiscent of MJ but his style is more like James Brown or even Prince, if anything Uptown Funk is closest to Jam on Dangerous.

The Weeknd is like MJ with his Invincible voice singing Thriller-era songs with modern production. Wanderlust, Can't Feel My Face, In the Night, A Lonely Night, I Feel It Coming. Starboy is like the MJ/Daft Punk collaboration I hoped for.

I don't even know if Weeknd's voice is as interesting as Invincible era Michael tbh

Neither of them are really like MJ fully. Bruno doesn't sound like MJ in anything I've heard. I could see maybe saying his performance energy is similar to MJ's on his dance tracks.

The Weeknd's voice is actually pretty close to MJ's and he can channel that MJ sound when he wants to because he likely grew up singing MJ constantly (similar is true of Timberlake I'd guess). But his content and the majority of his music is nothing like MJ's.

I voted The Weeknd simply because of the vocal similarities but put me in the camp stating Timberlake is the closest to MJ in terms of total package.

Davide

Yeah, not to say that the Weeknd is at all mediocre, but definitely not.

And here's an acapella with him harmonizing and making a danceable song without any instrumentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjWTdW2qdmc

Invincible had too many ballads, Blue Gangsta was one of the best that's on Xscape instead. More interesting and powerful vocals than Weeknd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR35GmlmCFQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom