• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bruno Mars vs. the Weeknd: Who reminds you more of MJ?

Which of these two musicians reminds you more of MJ?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Bruno's moved on from ripping off MJ to ripping off Zapp & Roger.

Outside of slightly similar vocal technique, I wouldn't really say that The Weeknd was an MJ clone in the same way Justin Timberlake and Bruno were. The Weeknd's always been a bit darker and sultry than MJ usually went.

Dynomutt

Bruno's moved on from ripping off MJ to ripping off Zapp & Roger.

Outside of slightly similar vocal technique, I wouldn't really say that The Weeknd was an MJ clone in the same way Justin Timberlake and Bruno were. The Weeknd's always been a bit darker and sultry than MJ usually went.

Damn well said.

Dancing and whatnot goes to Bruno.

But musically it's weeknd no question. Go listen to some of the dance tracks on his new album and tell me you wouldn't think it's MJ singing it.
I agree. The Weekend sounds a lot like MJ. Bruno is a better entertainer though.

Rembrandt

Banned
The Weeknd obviously. His dirty diana cover was amazing and the holy trinity also reflected a totally confident artist making new waves.

The three tapes before they were packaged up was an event like no other, tbh.

Bruno Mars is dope and his latest album is really good, but the weeknd is own of the most influential artists of this time.

The Weeknd is terrible. Bruno is great. I'm not sure how this is a question.
Edit: Are you his serious? He sings about as much as Ozzy as he does MJ.

MIMIC

Banned
Vocally, the Weekend. When I heard "I Feel It Coming" on the radio for the first time, I could swear it was Michael.

Creepy

Upon hearing "I feel it coming" on the radio, my gf and I both thought it was an unreleased MJ track or something ...until we googled it anyway.

Turns out its some artist I never heard of called the Weeknd.
I don't know who Bruno mars is.

highrider

Banned
..do you NOT like Justin Timberlake?

I didn't know it was possible to not like JT.

He's a bitch. It's like everyone just forgot the superbowl performance with Janet and how he handled it.

I respect his talent, but I could never like a cat that just guns for himself. He could have shouldered some responsibility and it would have had no negative effect on his career at all. But no, I was unaware of this costume malfunction.. Fuckoutahere.

Koppai

Bruno definitely has the performance down. But in one song I forgot which one, my mom thought The Weekend sounded like Michael Jackson.

The first Weeknd song I ever listened to was his butchered Dirty Diana cover. It was seriously one of the worst things ever in life. He tries to sound like him but falls way short.

Bruno is more like MJ as an entertainer, but I think he reminds me of Prince more than MJ.

The first Weeknd song I ever listened to was his butchered Dirty Diana cover. It was seriously one of the worst things ever in life. He tries to sound like him but falls way short.

Bruno is more like MJ as an entertainer, but I think he reminds me of Prince more than MJ.

The Weeknd's Dirty Diana cover is totally fine. If that's one of the worst things you've ever heard in your life, you must have a pretty incredible life.

jstripes

Banned
The Weeknd is a local star, my niece goes to the school he dropped out of, but Bruno Mars has the drive MJ had.

The Weeknd can put on a performance closer to MJ, but Bruno Mars has the drive to do it.

DJChuy

Bruno Mars so far.

I never thought of The Weeknd as the next MJ or whatever until I heard 'I Feel It Coming.' That song definitely reminded me of MJ, but it's always been Bruno Mars for me. Great entertainer.

v1lla21

Vocally? Weekdays for sure but Bruno overall. Dude has a good voice and is entertaining as hell. His shows are great.

BadAss2961

The Weeknd because he often imitates Michael without even trying to hide it.

Bruno's more of his own thing in comparison. He never reminded me of Michael.

Izuna

Banned
I'm seeing Bruno perform with some nice seats because Bae bought them, but I'm not a fan of his music. Great for Karaoke, but I guess he has the opportunity to change my mind.

Air

Banned
Neither. They don't have the creative direction Michael had which was half of his talent. Until they find their own voice they'll never be in the same league and they'll be stuck making half measure albums and songs that will never fill his shoes.

People need to stop comparing the weeknd and Bruno Mars to Michael. The most apt comparison to him is Kanye West.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
First time I ever heard Uptown Funk I thought it was an old unreleased Michael Jackson song.

So Bruno Mars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom