• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulls kill seven at Spain summer festivals

Status
Not open for further replies.
How exactly? What did the runner do to the bulls apart from run away down the street?

I'm not particularly a fan of the bullfighting, but people following a tradition of pegging it down the street while a bull chases you, although stupid to me, you don't deserve to be killed for it.

I'm not saying its good, its terrible someone died, but if you do stupid shit expect to get hurt or killed. And this is stupid shit regardless of how much tradition is behind it.

Chuckie

The OP doesn't actually have anything to do with bullfighting though does it? Or am I confused? It seems like they just slung that fact in there about bullfighting for basically no reason.

It has everything to do with bullfighting because the bulls end up in the bullring the night after the run, to be killed in a bullfight.

Facism

so backwards you'd think this was an activity ISIS was promoting.

horrible waste of life, both the humans and the bulls :(

Randam

How exactly? What did the runner do to the bulls apart from run away down the street?

I'm not particularly a fan of the bullfighting, but people following a tradition of pegging it down the street while a bull chases you, although stupid to me, you don't deserve to be killed for it.
It's a lot of stress for the animals and can hurt themselves pretty bad while running through the streets.

Mascot

If you fuck with the bull, you get the horns.

tumblr_krqizjNFhL1qa9p95o1_500.jpg

It has everything to do with bullfighting because the bulls end up in the bullring the night after the run, to be killed in a bullfight.

But you can easily have one without the other, no? And the number of people killed here has nothing to do with the number of bulls killed annually in the bullrings.

JeanGrey

The bulls didn't kill them they committed suicide. It's sad I know it's part of their "culture" but is it really worth your life?

But you can easily have one without the other, no? And the number of people killed here has nothing to do with the number of bulls killed annually in the bullrings.

It's not much less cruel than the bull fighting. As another poster has said, the animals hurt themselves running down the streets, not to mention what some of the assholes probably do to them as they are running, like stabbing them etc. Lets live in a world where a favourite past time doesn't involve terrifying an animal for the simple pleasures of simple humans.

Chuckie

You can have bullfights without a bull run, but you can't have a bull run without bullfights.
All these bulls in the article have already died in the ring. So I don't think it is too farfetched to mention the total killed in bullfights even though most bullfights don't have runs before them.

mcz117chief

Some pretty disturbing comments in this thread.

These people are idiots for running with the bulls, it's a stupidly dangerous and cruel thing to participate in. But to say that their deaths are a good thing? That is frankly disturbing.

I hear you. It just shows that some people have become so perverted that they value animal live above that of a human.

I hear you. It just shows that some people have become so perverted that they value animal live above that of a human.

If they were out walking, minding their own business and got attacked and killed by the bull in a field or something then yeah, that's sad. If you put yourself in danger, for no other reason than to get a thrill at the cost of such cruelty, then yeah, I don't value those peoples lives very much.

Chariot

I just don't honour a dead as much when it was caused by their own stupidity and decision. The bulls didn't do a drive by shooting, they were forced to run in fear and anger with the humans by their own free will decided to put themselves in that danger. I don't say that they should die, but they did and have nobody to fault for that than themselves.

Opiate

Citing "tradition" seems to be the last resort for people who engage in long antiquated behaviors that we now know are unethical or unhealthy or prejudiced.

As an example: being nice to people is a "tradition," but no one has to cite that tradition because there are better justifications for being nice to people.

mcz117chief

If they were out walking, minding their own business and got attacked and killed by the bull in a field or something then yeah, that's sad. If you put yourself in danger, for no other reason than to get a thrill at the cost of such cruelty, then yeah, I don't value those peoples lives very much.

I just don't honour a dead as much when it was caused by their own stupidity and decision. The bulls didn't do a drive by shooting, they were forced to run in fear and anger with the humans by their own free will decided to put themselves in that danger. I don't say that they should die, but they did and have nobody to fault for that than themselves.

I wonder if you consider everyone who died during an adrenaline sport stupid. Divers, skydivers, cliff climbers, etc.

Chariot

I wonder if you consider everyone who died during an adrenaline sport stupid. Divers, skydivers, cliff climbers, etc.
You think those are the same a bullrunning? Those sports go beyound "try not to die" and have usually multiple safety meassures. Bullrunning is literally run fast enough or get killed without fallback plan if you fall back.

Plus the animal abuse. But we don't need even bring that in to point out what bullshit bullrun is.

mcz117chief

Not stupid as such, but they know the risks and they aren't subjecting anything to torture or torment. Can't really compare the two.

Yeah, well, I kind of agree. I guess corrida should be banned because it is a very risky sport that can easily end in a fatality. I don't think animal cruelty is the biggest issue here, look at horse racing, animals that don't perform well there are put down, pretty much as bad as corrida itself and nobody talks about banning it.

red731

Not stupid as such, but they know the risks and they aren't subjecting anything to torture or torment. Can't really compare the two.

You are saying the words I couldn't phrase as such. Thank you

Human craving for adrenaline via animals - can't be much emphatetic
Human craving for adrenaline alone during extreme sports and such - understandable, stupid and dangerous but okay

Yeah, well, I kind of agree. I guess corrida should be banned because it is a very risky sport that can easily end in a fatality. I don't think animal cruelty is the biggest issue here, look at horse racing, animals that don't perform well there are put down, pretty much as bad as corrida itself and nobody talks about banning it.

I'm not sure the horses get tortured though

I don't agree with horse racing either, especially when they have really nasty jumps. Again, it would be nice for us to move past the exploitation of animals in this way, that has no other purpose than to entertain. It's backwards.

Some pretty disturbing comments in this thread.

These people are idiots for running with the bulls, it's a stupidly dangerous and cruel thing to participate in. But to say that their deathsare a good thing? That is frankly disturbing.

Nah it serves a greater purpose, more stupid people dying taking part in a stupid event the better. Gets people closer to their AhHa moment of clarity. Then change happens.

mcz117chief

I don't agree with horse racing either, especially when they have really nasty jumps. Again, it would be nice for us to move past the exploitation of animals in this way, that has no other purpose than to entertain. It's backwards.

If you don't like horse racing either then your position is solid and I support your arguments.

I'm not sure the horses get tortured though

Of course not, who would harm an animal...

If you don't like horse racing either then your position is solid and I support your arguments.

Of course not, who would harm an animal...

Thanks, I don't want the people to die, I also don't want the people to torture animals and if they get hurt or killed whilst doing it, then my sympathy is purely with the animal.

Kain

Evolution at work, some might say.

Citing "tradition" seems to be the last resort for people who engage in long antiquated behaviors that we now know are unethical or unhealthy or prejudiced.

As an example: being nice to people is a "tradition," but no one has to cite that tradition because there are better justifications for being nice to people.

Yep, lots of disgusting shit are made in the name of tradition. When someone tells me they are doing something reprehensible and they say "tradition" I automatically switch off my brain, homer style

giphy.gif

Ikaran

Neo Member
Interesting how different are the comments in this thread compared to the ones when some Gaffer explains their experiencies running with bulls. It's like oh look how barbarian are these Spaniards, but hey I'm going to do it too because I will look cool when I explain it in Neogaf. If it wasn't for these "curious tourists", many of these traditions would have already died out.

Dabanton

I went to a couple of bullfights when I was in Spain. I can see why they're appealing.

I've also seen the running of the bulls but had no inclination to get involved. In the flesh the speed of these things is scary to see with your own eyes.

A lot of guys making bad judgements about their overall fitness levels when doing this.

Tradition or no, things like this have to change. An animal should not be put in such a position. If they are so determined to keep the tradition then they can put some horns on a drunk Spaniard and let him chase everyone down the street. What they're doing to the bulls is inhumane. Plain and simple.

Caayn

I feel sorry for the bulls who were abused and the close ones of the people who died. But the actual people who keep this "tradition" alive and participate in it deserve what comes to them when you mess with the horns of a bull.

Derpot

Speaking of which, I was watching a documentary about rodeos the other day and I wonder if rodeos are considered as animal abuse too?

Unfortunately there's nothing we can do to prevent this bull violence problem. Trying to control these bulls is just going to keep them out of the hands of the good guys.

Tradition or no, things like this have to change. An animal should not be put in such a position. If they are so determined to keep the tradition then they can put some horns on a drunk Spaniard and let him chase everyone down the street. What they're doing to the bulls is inhumane. Plain and simple.

Oh I agree.

I'm just responding to some of the comments here of people that seem to think it's ok for 7 people to die, because an agravated bull was chasing them.

It's sad really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom