• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulls kill seven at Spain summer festivals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not directly anyways. But they keep this bloody tradition alive by participating in it. You could help putting it to an end simply by staying home.

Yeah fuck those indirect animal abusers. Wait does that mean people who eat and support the chicken industry too..? Oh god we are all animal abusers :(</s>

Some serious sociopathic behavior here, being happy about humans dying.

inner-G

Banned
Bullfighting may not be PC, but I still think it is an art. Just like hunting or butchering can be an art. It is cruel, yes, but so is life.

If bulls could talk, I bet livestock cows would trade places with a fighting bulls if they could.

Livestock cows live for a year or two in a pen eating crap barnyard feed before they get slaughtered.

These bulls get to roam around outdoors, live long lives and eat real food. They may die a slower death, but the longer (real) life they get in return is a pretty fair trade-off.

Spyware

Bullfighting may not be PC, but I still think it is an art. Just like hunting or butchering can be an art. It is cruel, yes, but so is life.

If bulls could talk, I bet livestock cows would trade places with a fighting bulls if they could.

Livestock cows live for a year or two in a pen eating crap barnyard feed before they get slaughtered.

These bulls get to roam around outdoors, live long lives and eat real food. They may die a slower death, but the longer (real) life they get in return is a pretty fair trade-off.
Wow. "This thing is bad so this other thing isn't that bad!" is never a good defense. Why not aim for not torturing any animal in any way?

inner-G

Banned
You really think bull fighting is the same as butchering a dead animal so the meat can be cooked and provide sustenance?

No, and I also don't think it is the same as Watercolor, Kendo or Interpretive Dance.

All of them are arts though.

Why not aim for not torturing any animal in any way?
I'd prefer to be realistic.

Some people consider eating meat at all to be torturing animals - you can never win with everyone.

andthebeatgoeson

Although, logically, we all know driving is dangerous yet people put up memorials all the time by the highway. So, it's not just participating in a deadly activity that activates the no fucks given zone. I think it's the combination of deadly activity with the cruelty to animals that really bothers me. Killing 7000 bulls just gets me.

It is in art. Also my condolences for the families of all the dead people.

I think the art argument is bad, because basically almost anything humans do can be considered art.

In any case, I thought we were talking of bull running, not bull fighting (all these last deaths came from bull running).

BibiMaghoo

I feel sorry for their families. I do not feel sorry for them. You want to torture a bull and it killed you? Good. Fuck you.

Metroxed

RIP to the people and their families; they were not matadors or bullfighters, they were simply spectators and people participating of the running. I don't have any sympathy for bullfighters, but the people who died weren't.

Now, about bullfighting. For me it is neither tradition nor art, it is simply savagery. I don't support it and I don't agree with it.

I'm quite sure it will disappear in the next coulple of decades. Bullrunning is still quite popular (especially the world-famous Running of the bulls of Pamplona) but bullfighting is dying, even though the right-wingers are trying hard to preserve it.

I see two posible outcomes: either it disappears completely and/or gets banned, or it is replaced by some "light" version where the bulls are not killed at the end.

Just compare:

Prevalence of bullfighting in Spain in the 19th century:

Bullsinspainf19.png

Bullfighting in Spain today:

Bullfighting_in_Spain_by_province.png

It's mostly a southern thing now (plus Madrid)

Berto

I'm from Portugal where this tradition is fortunately dying and becoming irrelevant as time goes by and I always condemned it, but when I think about it, this is just the point of the iceberg when we think about the mass slaughter that livestock suffer in the food industry. :(

I'm from Portugal where this tradition is fortunately dying and becoming irrelevant as time goes by and I always condemned it, but when I think about it, this is just the point of the iceberg when we think about the mass slaughter that livestock suffer in the food industry. :(

Livestock slaughter is the consequence of the will to eat meat. It's an unfortunate and inevitable (for now) process. Nobody is going to the slaughterhouses to cheer on the deaths (that are done in the most painless way possible, as even stressed out cows give out inedible meat).

Bullfighting has an artistic component to it. If you listen to a broadcast, there's an entire language and complexity. The way you raise the horse, ride it, etc... It's very rich and complex. It's also about torturing a poor bull and I cannot understand how someone can enjoy it.

Hydrus

Beautiful animal.

I hate to say it, but this type of breed of cattle is still around is because these type of events. They are completely useless for anything else. They wont be raised for beef, as they don't grow very big and have a lot of muscle. No farm would use the females for milking as they don't produce enough milk. On top of all that they are very aggressive, dangerous, and consume a lot of food. Very Expensive to raise. Rodeo's don't care to use them as they are too small. So it's pretty much this or they go extinct.

I hate to say it, but this type of breed of cattle is still around is because these type of events. They are completely useless for anything else. They wont be raised for beef, as they don't grow very big and have a lot of muscle. No farm would use the females for milking as they don't produce enough milk. On top of all that they are very aggressive, dangerous, and consume a lot of food. Very Expensive to raise. Rodeo's don't care to use them as they are too small. So it's pretty much this or they go extinct.

Then let's rip the band-aid off now. It's probably better to be extinct when the only reason you're alive is to be tormented for the fun of mouth breathing jackasses. Never understood this argument.

inner-G

Banned
So the solution is to torture them for other reasons too? I don't get this at all.

I'm saying that you can never end 'animal torture in any way' because you'll never get people to agree what torture is

Farming/hunting/fishing/vegetarians/PETA/bullfighting. There will never be an 'end' to what some people see as abuse.

Macadinho

Banned
Mad in Madrid, Ill in Seville, Lonely in Barcelona, Then someone told you and you cheer

Hooray, hooray, The bullfighter dies
And nobody cries, Nobody cries, Because we all want the bull to survive

Gaga in Málaga, No mercy in Murcia, Mental in Valencia
Then someone tells you and you cheer

Hooray, hooray, The bullfighter dies,
And nobody cries, Nobody cries, Because we all want the bull to survive

mantidor

These threads always disturb me, I find it impossible to put the life of an animal above the life of a human.

With that said, you put yourself in front a bull you better accept the consequences.

Both are so far apart I don't think they are even comparable.

Hydrus

Then let's rip the band-aid off now. It's probably better to be extinct when the only reason you're alive is to be tormented for the fun of mouth breathing jackasses. Never understood this argument.

What's Not to understand? You want an animal to go extinct? So how is it any different then any other type of animal that serve no purpose other then to be pretty much hunted. I don't like seeing any animal suffer but I also dont want to see an animal go extinct. These bulls aren't tortured there whole lives. They are raised better the your average beef cattle. I dont like bullfighting, but to have a whole breed of animal wiped out because of the way it's treated the last 15 minitutes of its life is even sadder. I'm not defending animal abuse but at least these animals get to live a good life for a long time before meeting there end.
Not to mention the females continue to live to breed better fighting bulls

akira28

Bulls - 7
Spainish - probably all the bulls ever

I mean when you think about this, it's kind of the whole reason people go. We can be upset, but are we upset when the ball we throw up at the sun falls down into our staring faces, blacking both our eyes? No. Ok yes. that did really hurt. and people laughed. but my point is, we don't go to the running of the goats. We get bulls because they might kill us, and that's why we're running. We did not import cheetahs because they're really too good at that.

What's Not to understand? You want an animal to go extinct? So how is it any different then any other type of animal that serve no purpose other then to be pretty much hunted. I don't like seeing any animal suffer but I also dont want to see an animal go extinct. These bulls aren't tortured there whole lives. They are raised better the your average beef cattle. I dont like bullfighting, but to have a whole breed of animal wiped out because of the way it's treated the last 15 minitutes of its life is even sadder. I'm not defending animal abuse but at least these animals get to live a good life for a long time before meeting there end.
Not to mention the females continue to live to breed better fighting bulls

Well for one, if bullfighting and everything that goes with it went away, I don't believe they would go extinct so I was being hyperbolic. People would still keep them, in much smaller numbers obviously.

I like how sure you are that they have good lives, it's just as likely they are mistreated to make them even more aggressive as they age, after all isn't that the point of this breed?

Kozak

Banned
This idea that the bulls are treated better, is that from an actual source or are we basing it on the post where the guy heard it on the radio?

Not saying its incorrect. Just wanting a more solid source which I can't seem to find online..

inner-G

Banned
This idea that the bulls are treated better, is that from an actual source or are we basing it on the post where the guy heard it on the radio?

Not saying its incorrect. Just wanting a more solid source which I can't seem to find online..

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/20/fighting-bull-beef-most-ecological-meat-in-world

Not saying that it is 100% accurate but it is in line with what I've always heard.

From article: "He believes even those who end up in the ring have a better deal, overall, than commercially raised animals. "For 15 minutes, they undeniably suffer the stress of combat; for the rest of the time they and the rest of their breed are able to enjoy all the pleasures and privileges possible for cattle, roaming in their natural environment among the acorn trees of the dehesa [pasture], and eating their preferred foods.""

Kozak

Banned
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/20/fighting-bull-beef-most-ecological-meat-in-world

Not saying that it is 100% accurate but it is in line with what I've always heard.

From article: "He believes even those who end up in the ring have a better deal, overall, than commercially raised animals. "For 15 minutes, they undeniably suffer the stress of combat; for the rest of the time they and the rest of their breed are able to enjoy all the pleasures and privileges possible for cattle, roaming in their natural environment among the acorn trees of the dehesa [pasture], and eating their preferred foods.""

Hmmm this definitely has me in a conundrum..

On the one hand we just shouldn't do it, on the other, if we didn't we'd have no use for them and humans aren't too kind towards things they have no use for...

Spyware

And you have never heard the other side? I grew up hearing about this insane thing where they torture bulls. More like... this.
In the end I think it's somewhere in between, like always. I don't think they live in a paradise and I don't think they get tortured 24/7. I do think there is lots and lots they don't show or tell tho, since they wanna keep doing it.

Hydrus

Well for one, if bullfighting and everything that goes with it went away, I don't believe they would go extinct so I was being hyperbolic. People would still keep them, in much smaller numbers obviously.

No they wouldn't. You under estimate how expensive it is to raise cattle. This type of breed is useless out side of bullfighting, like I explained in my other post. These animals are naturally aggressive. Nobody would raise them as pets.

I like how sure you are that they have good lives, it's just as likely they are mistreated to make them even more aggressive as they age, after all isn't that the point of this breed?

I am sure of myself, because my relatives used to raise them in Portugal. This type of cattle is raised as far away from people as possible, usually in a country hillside. The owners take great pride in there heard and want them to be at there best when in the ring. They are treated much better then the meat, pork, chicken you eat I can assure that.
The males are raised until they are 3 years old before they fight in the ring. A bull is in a ring for no longer then 15 to 20 minutes. In Spain they kill the bull in the ring, unless it was spectacular. If it was, then it's life is spared & it will become a breeder bull for the rest of its life. The females are kept to breed more bulls and usually live until they die of old age ( Sometimes 15 - 20 years old ).

it's just as likely they are mistreated to make them even more aggressive as they age, after all isn't that the point of this breed?

Please don't make stuff up. This breed is naturally aggressive. They will attack you no matter what. They are not abused to become mean.

i want bullfighting abolition but the people who celebrate these deaths need to go to a psychologist asap

you can fight bullfighting and not be a idiot

NekoFever

I think the art argument is bad, because basically almost anything humans do can be considered art.

In any case, I thought we were talking of bull running, not bull fighting (all these last deaths came from bull running).

It's also used the same way as the tradition argument, as if it trumps any rational justification. Yes, it's art. Yes, it's tradition. But neither of those is an argument for why it should continue.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Terrible for the families of the people killed but on the other hand. Spain. Leave those fucking bulls alone you stupid idiots.

People holding up 'culture' as an excuse to brutalise animals. You fuck wits.

Ferr986

Here in Spain 90% of times the bull is killed at the plaza.
Would you seriously sacrifice, let's say, 20 good years for being tortured and killed for fun?

I know animals also suffer in farms. But even though both things are bad, one is for food, other is for fun... are we really ok by torturing and killing just for fun? You don't really see nothing wrong there?

Worst part is this shit receive helping funds in some regions.

Madness

Jeez, how is this shit still happening? Love the spabish their animal abuse that much?

Under the guise of "culture and tradition". It's funny how quick others are to criticize other countries' traditions when it involves animals being killed, but quick to defend their own animal abuse. Whether it's the French and their foie gras which forcibly fattens ducks to the point of fatty liver disease, spain and it's affinity for cruelly fighting or killing bulls, forcing them to run in stampedes down streets, Canada with it's seal hunt, etc.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Get rid of this bullshit "tradition" along with bullfighting. Some shameful shit to be a part of as a conscious human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom