• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulls kill seven at Spain summer festivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjen

I don't like this tradition, but It's pretty fucked up to read here how many people don't give a fuck people died.

coleco

If it wasn't for these "curious tourists", many of these traditions would have already died out.

I don't think so. Tourists are usually very, very low in number in these events and have no impact at all.

These events and bullfighting are economically in life support, funded by the state in many regions. The current right wing government even put them back in national tv and you can see many times the plazas are half empty.

Oh I agree.

I'm just responding to some of the comments here of people that seem to think it's ok for 7 people to die, because an agravated bull was chasing them.

It's sad really.

It's their choice to take part though, so that is okay by me. I have zero sympathy for people who torture and kill animals.

upwards of 80% of the spanish population is against bullfighting. Each year, less and less people go to this kind of festivals.

The business doesn't support itself, 40% of the costs are subsidized by the government.

Just cut the funding on it and in a couple of years corridas will be all but gone.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
If I wrestle with a bear for the funsies and die would you give a fuck about my death ?
Yes? You did something dumb, maybe you thought it would be safe, maybe you're not entirely aware of what you're doing. I'm sure you don't want to die, and I'd rather you didn't as well. Dying is kind of a huge deal

Ikaran

Neo Member
I don't think so. Tourists are usually very, very low in number in these events and have no impact at all.

These events and bullfighting are economically in life support, funded by the state in many regions. The current right wing government even put them back in national tv and you can see many times the plazas are half empty.

I agree with you about the subsidies, but tourists represent a percentage high enough to be taken into account, especially in the most popular ones like San Fermin. And even if we were talking about a small number, as you said the plazas are half empty nowadays, so a small number of tourists could make the difference.

Yes? You did something dumb, maybe you thought it would be safe, maybe you're not entirely aware of what you're doing. I'm sure you don't want to die, and I'd rather you didn't as well. Dying is kind of a huge deal

So people die doing that all the time but the people doing it don't know it's dangerous ? Please

Of course if a bull kills you it's a bad thing, and it is sad. Of course, of course... But maybe, if you put yourself in front of a wild animal that weights 1,300 pounds and it kills you, it isn't such a weird thing to happen.

zeemumu

If I wrestle with a bear for the funsies and die would you give a fuck about my death ?

I mean, it would suck that you died but I would neither classify your death as an accident nor blame the bear in any way. I'd probably blame you. Same for if you did something like fire a mortar off of your head or abuse an animal for years for cheap entertainment then get surprised when it's pretty pissed about the whole thing.

This is an aside, but if someone decides to wrestle a wild bear and dies as a result, then I don't care about ya. I think it's insincere to say "I don't want you (hypothetical person I don't know) to die" when on my scale of things I should care for (I only have so much energy to care after all), they've pretty much just placed themselves at the bottom of my care-o-meter.

Tradition or no, things like this have to change. An animal should not be put in such a position. If they are so determined to keep the tradition then they can put some horns on a drunk Spaniard and let him chase everyone down the street. What they're doing to the bulls is inhumane. Plain and simple.

...what position? I doubt the bull is going to have nightmares about morale issues...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No sympathy. Just don't be a fucking idiot who takes part in this very dangerous act of animal cruelty and this won't happen to you.

madp0k

hopefully the bulls will improve their kdr over the next few weeks

sorry but I do not give a single solitary fuck for anyone killed in this way

SgtCobra

Horrible news for their families and friends. But c'mon, this "sport" is just a suicide attempt, how can you be so stupid to attempt shit like that?

Spyware

I don't like this tradition, but It's pretty fucked up to read here how many people don't give a fuck people died.
People die all the time. I can't care about every single person on earth. I will definitely not care about people that support animal abuse "for fun" and die doing so.

zugzug

What is the point of running with bulls?

I have heard that the way the city of Pamplona was built with the Coliseum was built in the center of the city the only way to get the bulls thru to the Coliseum was to run them thru the street early in the morning for that days bull matches. Perhaps other cities emulate this.

Some pretty disturbing comments in this thread.

These people are idiots for running with the bulls, it's a stupidly dangerous and cruel thing to participate in. But to say that their deaths are a good thing? That is frankly disturbing.

Nobody wants other people to die by their own stupidity.

Here though, I'd argue that it isn't even stupidity. It's a conscious decision to participate in a very dangerous game based on animal torture.

I'm not surprised people feel little sympathy, especially when the dead are a faceless body count. That would obviously be different if you knew them or their family.

Nobody wants other people to die by their own stupidity.

Here though, I'd argue that it isn't even stupidity. It's a conscious decision to participate in a very danger game based on animal torture.

I'm not surprised people feel little sympathy, especially when the dead are a faceless body count. That would obviously be different if you knew them or their family.

I'd rather people die by their own stupidity than have their life taken by nefarious means.

Thinning out the herd.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Yeah... Maybe let's all remember a time we were very dumb about something, most likely because of ignorance, and maybe even hurt other people because of this dumb ignorant behaviour. Let's really remember that, and consider that people do this all the time, and wishing for their deaths, reveling in their deaths or even feeling as though these deaths are justified is... I don't know, maybe not a healthy mindset.

I'd rather people die by their own stupidity than have their life taken by nefarious means.

Thinning out the herd.

Wait, I'm not a native English speaker, so I'm not sure I understand.

You would rather have someone die due to a stupid decision than due to a conscious decision to partake in a "wicked, villainous" (=nefarious) action?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Wow at people almost celebrating the human deaths her.

It was their choice so they deserved to die. What kind of BS is that? Ss humans don't do bad things for bad reasons like bad judgment, peer pressure, imperfect information, etcetera.

Animals are innocent but human beings are somehow all guilty.

However fucked up this backwards "sport" is, the way people in this thread are talking about other human beings from different cultures and traditions who died doing something that they have been doing for generations is fucking insane.

RIP to whoever died, hopefully this is a lesson for the ones that were close to them. Don't fuck with bulls.

Ethelwulf

luckily none of my mates are cunts so it's not something I have to wonder about

as i said not.a.single.solitary.fuck.given

Respectfully disagree then. As I said: Sad for their families, horrifying experience for all killed, but I do agree that this "art" should be pretty much banned.

Circinus

Tragic. RIP.

Don't really understand why it's still going on honestly if the risks are so severe and it's animal abuse on top of that.

And I don't think tradition/culture/religion should be a justification for seriously ethically questionable practices imho (like bullfighting).

In my youth I did a running of the bulls in pamplona, it was insane. Everyone is drinking the whole night before, the streets of pamplona are just filled with tiny little bars and everyone is stumbling around drinking and partying on the narrow cobblestones. Then you gather up in giant groups, everyone wearing white with red sashes, and run for as far as you want. Like 90% (or more) guys. I only ran like 1 km, you can exit at a ton of places and honestly most tourists will never even see a bull up close, there are just so many people and so few bulls. The bulls slide around corners a lot and its gotta confusing and frustrating for them. Everyone ends up in a giant arena where the bulls go into pens and people just hang out around the arena.

It was an adrenaline rush but I look back and think about how damn stupid I was. I was really, really into Hemingway at the time and ultimately I do have to say I don't regret it, feels like one of those things that its hard to say is a good thing to do but something I am glad I did?

The more fun festival in Spain is the Tomatina festival near Valencia, a giant food fight with tomatoes. Literally up to your belly in tomatoes, that was crazy.

People die all the time. I can't care about every single person on earth. I will definitely not care about people that support animal abuse "for fun" and die doing so.
Exactly. If I would get sad for every death in world I would be crying all day. Of course it would be sadder if someone who I know dies, but I would understand they willfully put themselves in harms way, I'm quite pragmatic in sense. But it's weird someone is happy for deaths like this, I personally just don't care either way. And hopefully these kind of entertainment involving animals stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom