• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered |OT| Return of the King

Bolivar687

Banned
Come on, Best Buy. 24 hours and no code. Guess it is time for bed.

Not sure if related but the Gamestop people didn't know how to get the code, it's not an insert or anything. First they tried replacing my order and printing the receipt but it was just the IW multiplayer code. They had to call some regional associate and print out something else to get it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Activision is making it difficult to get the campaign, considering all the other obstacles they're putting in front of MWR.

wbEMX

Wow, what an enormous improvement.

Whoever is responsible for this remaster deserves some serious praise, they did a great job.

Holy crap, I got goosebumps from looking at the MWR nuke scene. Something that didn't happen when I first played MW in 2010. This remaster looks fucking phenomenal.

Holy crap, I got goosebumps from looking at the MWR nuke scene. Something that didn't happen when I first played MW in 2010. This remaster looks fucking phenomenal.

Yeah, this obviously wasn't a quick/simple remake for a "cash grab." Raven and Infinity Ward did a fantastic job remastering this IMO. Can't wait to see the MP as well!

Dominator

I only played for about an hour but holy SHIT!

This isn't a remaster, this is almost a full-blown remake. I just watched Eurogamer's video of the side-by-side with the 360 version and my goodness, they did incredible work. I knew everything looked better obviously but all the stuff they added just in the intro alone blew me away.

They added so many things... I'm very impressed.

Daffy Duck

What a ride!

Got upto The Bog before i had to go to bed, but damn this is one amazing game, you forget just how good it was.

The thing for me is it's taking a little while to get used to the controls again because I have been conditioned by previous CoD games that they are fast paced action games, and this is not, it's a lot slower and takes some getting used to.

Machina

Banned
What a ride!

Got upto The Bog before i had to go to bed, but damn this is one amazing game, you forget just how good it was.

The thing for me is it's taking a little while to get used to the controls again because I have been conditioned by previous CoD games that they are fast paced action games, and this is not, it's a lot slower and takes some getting used to.

Hail to the king, baby.

Daffy Duck

Hail to the king, baby.

Indeed, this is what CoD is and this is why I fell in love with the series all those years ago.

I remember going round to my friends house one evening and he showed me this game back in 2007, I bought a 360 and this game the following week when I got paid.

black070

I can't get over how good of a remastering effort this is - to think this is coming from Activision, the publishers that shat out Prototype and Deadpool 'remasters'. Kudos to them, Infinity Ward and Raven, I've never felt more satisfied with purchasing a premium edition in my life.

My little brother wants to get this, but idk if I should get it for PC or PS4, considering its CoD and it has always a larger life on consoles...

Daffy Duck

Sorry to keep blowing smoke up this/Raven's backside, but the more I think it the more you realise how far from this game we have come in this series now.

Just playing the boat training course brings home how much slower paced the game and controls are, it took me a while and several runs to adjust slightly to the slower controls and gunplay because of how much more dialled back this game is compared to other games.

You really get the sense modern CoD games are First Person action games, and this was a true First Person Shooter.

I cannot wait to play Multiplayer.

NHale

From what I've played so far this isn't a remaster. This is a complete remake of the game but it still feels as fantastic as the original. Activision is actually selling this short and to be quite honest, people that want this standalone for $20 are out of their mind.

Considering that this is much better than the remasters we are getting on PS4/XB1 and it also includes multiplayer, Activision can easily justify charging $60 for this as a standalone and if it was me I would charge $60 for this standalone.

Getting this for $80 with COD: IW included was the bargain of the year.

Alienous

From what I've played so far this isn't a remaster. This is a complete remake of the game but it still feels as fantastic as the original. Activision is actually selling this short and to be quite honest, people that want this standalone for $20 are out of their mind.

Considering that this is much better than the remasters we are getting on PS4/XB1 and it also includes multiplayer, Activision can easily justify charging $60 for this as a standalone and if it was me I would charge $60 for this standalone.

Getting this for $80 with COD: IW included was the bargain of the year.

It may be semantics, but it it isn't a remake of the game. It's presenting the same game through the lens of modern technologies, which is at the heart of what a remastering is. It's just doing it much better than most remasters (for example new higher fidelity assets instead of just new higher fidelity textures).

A remake would be a complete 're-doing'. Same base concept but different level design, performances (etc.) - Ratchet & Clank PS4 is a good example of that.

noface

Wow, this campaign. I never played the original MW, but I've definitely heard about how influential it's been. I'm not too far in; just finished Death From Above. Obviously a video game about war can't be all that "realistic," but this one does such a great job of making you feel like you're really there. So many times, even only playing a couple hours so far, I've been just horrified by what's going on. The settings and the missions ... it's like a nightmare. The AC-130 mission was tbh pretty upsetting. Thinking back to MW2 (Burger Town ftw), I don't remember it seeming this way at all.

Anyway, can't wait to see what else is in store. Definitely glad I played Spec Ops before this. I can see why people say this campaign was such an achievement.

Can't agree more with you. Yesterday I was watching a young guy on twitch (he was 17) playing the campaign for the first time and had a good time watching and commenting his play. He was all around a nice guy and pretty chatty up until he made it to 'death from above'. It was so chilling to see this young fella having the same reaction like I had back in the day.

After 2 minutes in he went completely silent. I commented "this shit makes you think, doesn't it" he responded: "This game makes me think about what's going down all the time"...

Hail to the king, baby.

Heartfyre

I feel as though I'm not taking advantage of the improvements by not remembering what a lot of these areas looked like from ten years ago. I'm up to completing War Pig and watching some of the comparison videos make me realise that I've been presuming a lot of the backgrounds looked similar or the same, and I couldn't be more wrong.

Which is to the credit of Raven's work. The game basically looks like what I remembered at the time, when it was cutting-edge and, laughably, near-photorealistic. With the complete refresh, it still feels like that, but not laughably. I doubt there'd be as much demand for it, but I'd love to see World at War get the same treatment. And CoD2, of course, but WaW is the obvious successor.

And damn, Veteran is uncompromising. I forgot how demanding it was, but a half-decade of Souls games has hardened me more than any FPS.

Just figured out how to take hudless screenshots.. Its gonna be a long night to night..:p

30149382715_dc39c69274_o.png

30064941131_2b2860608f_o.png

30114372896_64138736bd_o.png

29853759320_e1c75f6849_o.png

black070

If you don't already think Raven poured a lot of love and care into this, please take a gander at the 'mission select' option, it's absolutely beautiful.

Still haven't gotten my Best Buy email. Anybody in the same boat? If I don't get it by the end of the work day, I'm returning the preorder. I'll take my money else where 😀

The1Ski

These impressions are incredible.

So the question is is it worth the price of admission if you zero interest in Infinite Warfare?

Modern Warfare is my #1 shooter of all time but hate where the series is going. I was going to wait for the inevitable(hopeful) stand alone release but these impressions are making me reconsider how patient I can be.

Is this remaster worth $60 alone?

Not sure if related but the Gamestop people didn't know how to get the code, it's not an insert or anything. First they tried replacing my order and printing the receipt but it was just the IW multiplayer code. They had to call some regional associate and print out something else to get it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Activision is making it difficult to get the campaign, considering all the other obstacles they're putting in front of MWR.

Yeah was at gamestop, they didnt even know about the promotion and said it was only if you trade two games in (than only 30 euro for preorder) For a normal Preorder NO code!!!(Austria)

kyser73

Dammit I've got PSVR + games + RotTR and Pro to pay for over the next month...but this thread has made me sooooo itchy to hear Price saying 'So what kind of a name is Soap anyway?'...you utter bastards...

I will echo what everyone here is saying that this remaster is amazing. Its clear that Activision/Raven/IW took their time and really cared about this product. This makes the legacy edition worth it no matter how Infinite Warfare turns out. MW really holds up well even after 9 years and its still the best COD game.

black070

So the question is is it worth the price of admission if you zero interest in Infinite Warfare?

Modern Warfare is my #1 shooter of all time but hate where the series is going. I was going to wait for the inevitable(hopeful) stand alone release but these impressions are making me reconsider how patient I can be.

Absolutely, this shoots to the absolute top for examples of how to remaster a game.

mossypne

So good to play this game again. Finished the story in one sitting last night. Been years since i last finished a game like that.

Been playing since Tuesday night and I'm making my way through the Death From Above mission... and I absolutely can't believe how good this game looks and feels. The polish that went into MWR is nothing short of stunning.

More than ever though, this remaster is making me realize how genuinely great Call of Duty games used to be. Cod4's grounded storytelling, its base in realism, its haunting setpieces... everything about it feels more real and authentic than anything that the Call of Duty Machine has pumped out ever since (with the exception of maybe WaW, which I felt also had a great sense of authenticity and realism about it). Then Modern Warfare 2, despite the fact that I did really love that game, was when Michael-Bay levels of stupidity slowly started to seep into its setpieces, and subtle moments of character development and environmental storytelling began to disappear in favor of bigger, crazier, blockbuster action.

And don't get me wrong, I genuinely did love Modern Warfare 2 for what it was, and I still enjoy Call of Duty's installments today. But Call of Duty 4 is a different beast entirely, a game that reminds me how high the heights of this franchise really were.

noface

You broke my will.
This beast is going to be bought again.
Maybe I'll get some enjoyment out of the zombie part of IW.

CrayToes

This really is a fucking brilliant remaster. This is exactly how my mind remembers CoD4. I highly suggest you guys turn off auto aim though. The game is so much better without.

NHale

If the multiplayer received the same care as the campaign did, it's not even a question. In fact, in my opinion it's worth $60 more than most new AAA games that released this year.

Bolivar687

Banned

I'd say so, especially if it's your goat. There might be a lot more repayability to the campaign with the Intel cheats, which appear to add things like new filters (the first one is "for that arthouse feel"). I'm expecting the multiplayer to go off really well, provided enough people get the legacy editions.

If you can get Best Buy or Amazon to bring the price closer to $60 it's a no brainer. But at $80 it's hard to push this on someone, really up to your preferences and budget.

Dominator

I can't get over how good of a remastering effort this is - to think this is coming from Activision, the publishers that shat out Prototype and Deadpool 'remasters'. Kudos to them, Infinity Ward and Raven, I've never felt more satisfied with purchasing a premium edition in my life.
Prototype and Deadpool were not labeled as remasters, they were ports from the beginning if I recall correctly. So not the same situation as this.

Top Bottom