• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well some Middle East countries will go belly up within five years or less if cheap oil continues.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/25/investing/oil-prices-saudi-arabia-cash-opec-middle-east/

That includes America's masters, the Saudis.

I read this awhile back but it wasn't posted and with the euphoria of the election I've decreased my activity.

"run out of cash" means run out of reserves and start going into debt, something which Canada has been doing for 150 years :p

lupinko

"run out of cash" means run out of reserves and start going into debt, something which Canada has been doing for 150 years :p

Oil aside, Canada has other industries and doesn't have the same volatile situation that many countries in the Middle East find themselves in.

If the Saudis can't continue the gravy train it's going to be harder for them to continue stamping out extremists who oppose the Saudi government. Which is another quagmire in itself. :p

Enjoy cheap gas while it lasts.

Liberals continue to do all the right moves, Aflred Pellan's paintings return on display at the Foreign Affairs building after the Conservatives took them down with a "barf" portait of the Queen.

the Cons almost auctionned off Pellan's paintings but Quebec protested so the Cons placed the Pellan paintings in storage

Today, the Alfred Pellan paintings are back were they belong

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-foreign-affairs-art-queen-1.3310633

queens-portrait-replaced-with-paintings-by-alfred-pellan-in-foreign-affairs-building.jpg

Queen's portrait pulled down, Alfred Pellan paintings back up in Foreign Affairs building
Pellan's twin pieces had hung above reception desk since 1973 until Conservatives took them down

I never understood Harper's obsession of reverting Canadian identity back to pre-Diefendbaker Dominionism

whitehawk

Banned
Liberals continue to do all the right moves, Aflred Pellan's paintings return on display at the Foreign Affairs building after the Conservatives took them down with a "barf" portait of the Queen.

the Cons almost auctionned off Pellan's paintings but Quebec protested so the Cons placed the Pellan paintings in storage

queens-portrait-replaced-with-paintings-by-alfred-pellan-in-foreign-affairs-building.jpg

I never understood Harper's obsession of reverting Canadian identity back to pre-Diefendbaker Dominionism
<3

Azzanadra

As pretentious as it is, I actually kind of liked the symbolism of the monarchy and relationship with the UK and royalty in general. It stems from my fascination of medieval history, culture and art.

mdubs

Banned
Also, as long as you don't go overboard, you won't get sued for copyright infrigement for stuff you post or download on the Web. Why? Because their lawyer costs more than what they'd get in damages. At least in Canada where courts don't award ridiculous damages for small transgressions. And if they make it a criminal offense, prosecutors won't bother because it's such a waste of judicial resources. "De minimis non curat lex". You can apply the same line of reasoning to most "scenarios" that have come up.

I wouldn't dare post that in the TPP thread because I would get eviscerated and be called a paid shill or something. And I'm not even in favor of the TPP.

I agree with the de minimis part, we would be very unlikely to see any major damages awarded thanks to Charter protection.

Fun fact regarding de minimis, did you know that its actually criminal to kiss your significant other while they are sleeping, even if they consent beforehand? This is because advance consent cannot be given, and consent cannot be obtained while a person is unconscious (even if they want to) so this would be considered sexual assault. The SCC reasoned that de minimis would prevent anyone from actually getting convicted, but its still a bit of an absurdity in the law. I think its interesting anyways.

Trudeau considers re-muzzling scientists after 3 hour conversation about rare seaweed
;)

OTTAWA - PM Justin Trudeau is reconsidering unmuzzling Canada’s scientists after a one-sided conversation about a rare New Zealand seaweed went on for more than 180 minutes.

“Listen, I’m truly, sincerely thankful for your hard work and I cannot wait to see where this research takes you, but this needs to stop,” said Trudeau, interrupting a world-renowned expert in Gelidium longipes research. “I get it. I got it 2 hours ago. It’s seaweed, but it’s slightly less common than the usual seaweed.”

After repealing the Harper government’s policy of scientific censorship, Trudeau may now again force Canada’s federally funded scientists to stop talking about their research that he’s sure is very interesting but is not the only topic of conversation in the world.

Azih

I really think Harper was trying to redefine what it means to be 'Canadian' away from the Pearson-Trudeau peacekeeping/multiculture vision and the old rah rah monarchy was the only alternative he could even call back to because the "Let's just be an American state" approach is even less popular.

I remember the bizarre trial baloon floated by a Conservative Senator to replace the beaver with the polar bear as the national animal back in 2011 as soon as Harper got his majority. That fell flat too.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...canadian-national-emblem-senator-nicole-eaton

I really think Harper was trying to redefine what it means to be 'Canadian' away from the Pearson-Trudeau peacekeeping/multiculture vision and the old rah rah monarchy was the only alternative he could even call back to because the "Let's just be an American state" approach is even less popular.

I remember the bizarre trial baloon floated by a Conservative Senator to replace the beaver with the polar bear as the national animal back in 2011 as soon as Harper got his majority. That fell flat too.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...canadian-national-emblem-senator-nicole-eaton

Harper was un-Canadian trying to redefine what being Canadian is.

next thing you know we would have reverted back to wearing knickerbockers and tricorne hats

sikkinixx

This refugee influx is going to be a gongshow. Agencies don't know what is going on, mayors don't know what is going on, provinces don't seem to know what's going on, school boards like Surrey that are already struggling for space need to find space for hundreds more kids all at once.

Not to mention, what are these poor people going to do in Vancouver or Toronto? Rental vacancy is under 1% here in Metro Vancouver, where they gonna put these people up? How will they ever be able to afford anything here?

I'm sure even the uncertainty is likely better than the risk of getting killed there, but seems like Trudeau is going 0-100 really fast here.

Azih

I'm almost certain that the vast majority of the people that will be admitted are going to have family already here with assurance that they will be living with them.

This refugee influx is going to be a gongshow. Agencies don't know what is going on, mayors don't know what is going on, provinces don't seem to know what's going on, school boards like Surrey that are already struggling for space need to find space for hundreds more kids all at once.

Not to mention, what are these poor people going to do in Vancouver or Toronto? Rental vacancy is under 1% here in Metro Vancouver, where they gonna put these people up? How will they ever be able to afford anything here?

I'm sure even the uncertainty is likely better than the risk of getting killed there, but seems like Trudeau is going 0-100 really fast here.
They could probably just send most of them to repopulate the dying towns in NS.

Edit: I'm only half serious but given the depopulation rate of everywhere in NS that isn't Halifax, you could pretty much absorb 25k people and still have room to spare. There are a ton of schools way under capacity there ready for new kids that are never going to show up, and if you're smart find Syrians that were teachers and ideally know English to take on the new students + teach them English. These towns would massively benefit from the influx of people and money (direct government spending + ~1k/month per family? + health/education transfers) and would be a real economic driver.

The biggest obstacle would probably be how stupidly racist some rural Nova Scotians are.

Edit2: Right now ISANS is estimating ~700 refugees coming to NS, which would be population proportional to the total amount (NS is a bit under ~3% of Canada's population). I don't know that they should do this necessarily population proportional though, as a lot of people pointed out there aren't really affordable places to live in Toronto/Vancouver but uh kind of a lot available in the Annapolis Valley or Pictou County.

diaspora

Did anyone else get a random news release emailed to them from the PBO this morning? I have no idea why they sent one to me with their phone number.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Yes; the idea was to substitute people's top-of-the-head conception of Canada (the flag, the colour red, peacekeeping, the charter, multiculturalism, state bilingualism, social safety net) with institutions and symbols of his party. Hence Canada's New Government, the blue-and-green Economic Action Plan ads, making sure the Weather Office wasn't connected to environment Canada, the war of 1812 celebration, renewed symbolic importance for the monarchy, lots and lots of speech mentions of "personal responsibility", frequent re-inforcement of policy changes as "reflecting Canadian values" or defunding the arts because artists "didn't reflect Canadian values".

Repeat it often enough, and maybe people will think it's true.

I hope some of the many underemployed Political Theorists PhDs in Canada are able to write a canonical piece about Harper's "attack on" (efforts to change) Canadian identity.

I had forgot about the bear thing, though.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bombardier-trudeau-labour-congress-1.3312410
If Montreal-based aerospace manufacturer Bombardier Inc. needs federal money to aid its CSeries jet project, it'll have to make a "strong business case," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told a meeting of labour leaders Tuesday.

Trudeau was responding to questions at a closed-door Canadian Labour Congress gathering in Ottawa &#8212; the first time a sitting prime minister has addressed the country's biggest labour body in more than 50 years.

He told the CLC's Canadian council that his government won't prop up a business on the basis of emotion or politics, sources inside the room disclosed.

Trudeau did, however, characterize Bombardier as a high-value manufacturer in the same league as the auto sector, which received government money to help it get through the 2008 recession.

"There's no question that high-value manufacturing is going to be an extremely important part of Canada for years to come. Aerospace is a great example of that, as is the auto sector and others," Trudeau told the gathering.

"How we can best invest and support that kind of manufacturing needs to be done responsibly and with our eyes open, and not just based on emotion or politics or symbols," he said.

"There has to be a strong business case. We're going to make sure that decision is taken based on what is in the best interest of Canadians, writ large."

'Anti-union' bills to be repealed

The last time a prime minister appeared in front of the Canadian Labour Congress was when John Diefenbaker spoke at the organization's 1958 convention.

Trudeau was loudly applauded when he told Tuesday's meeting of more than 120 labour leaders that his government will fulfill the Liberal campaign promise to repeal Bills C-377 and C-525 &#8212; the former Conservative government's anti-union legislation.

Trudeau said he recognizes that "labour is not a problem, but a solution."

The prime minister also welcomed a pledge from the CLC to help in dealing with climate change and the Syrian refugee crisis.

"We have more than 130 labour councils and 25,000 union locals in communities across Canada and we've made it clear to the prime minister that we want to do our part in helping his government meet its goal to welcome and resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada," said Yussuff.

---------------------------
New day, new petition, and this time, it's a serious issue:

www.savethequeen.ca

the video too ugh

man these guys will forever be salty... also why does most conservative media always talk with that "I am witty" tone

Pedrito

You bastard, you made me give the rebel a click

Enjoy it while you still can. Apparently, they're about to charge a subscription fee.
Nooooooooooooooooo!

This is another parody site like the beaverton right?

It's very real and it's a treasure.

the video too ugh

man these guys will forever be salty... also why does most conservative media always talk with that "I am witty" tone

Well, when you can't rely on facts and logic, you need a shtick to get your point across.

Bombardier's problem is a corporate culture problem of inept businessmen and lobbyists expecting the government to bail them out all the time

IMO, the government should nationalize Bombardier and fire the incompetent bosses and replace them with Canadian Space Agency bosses

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Bombardier is a shit company that can't build things properly and then lies about it. It's idiotic this company is "too big to fail"

gabbo

Bombardier's problem is a corporate culture problem of inept businessmen and lobbyists expecting the government to bail them out all the time

IMO, the government should nationalize Bombardier and fire the incompetent bosses and replace them with Canadian Space Agency bosses

Would that means that Garneau is in charge?

Wow! Tentatively liking this. Emotion and politics(in this context) shouldn't really have a place in deciding corporate bailouts.

Of course all he now has to do is say "They've made a good business case, and the government stands to gain" and then bail them out. We'd never know the actual numbers or reasons.

Sean C

As pretentious as it is, I actually kind of liked the symbolism of the monarchy and relationship with the UK and royalty in general. It stems from my fascination of medieval history, culture and art.
I quite like the symbolism and history of the monarchy. If the country were eventually to be a republic, I'm fine with that (but given constitutional inertia, that's not going to happen in our lifetimes), but I'm fine with the status quo.

This week's Maclean's has an article about the various appointments Trudeau will be making in his first term (ambassadors, military chiefs, various agencies, etc.), and it reminded me how glad I am that it won't be Harper who replaces Chief Justice McLachlin (though she can hang around until 2018, so that will be a while). Even if Harper had done the customary thing and given the job to Abella (assuming she's still around then), it still would have annoyed me.

I'm not hating the sound of this actually

maharg

idspispopd

Yeah, the obvious solution to a company expecting bailouts is... to give them a giant bailout.

Sean C

The most recent issue of the Hill Times lists four Liberal MPs who are evidently putting out feelers to run for Speaker of the House (pending Trudeau notifying them whether there are any other opportunities in the works, i.e., parliamentary secretarial jobs or committee chairs; though I was under the impression the latter were to be elected by secret ballot). The four are:

1. Geoff Regan, MP for Halifax West (1993-1997, 2000-present)
2. Mauril Belanger, MP for Ottawa-Vanier (1995-present)
3. Denis Paradis, MP for Brome-Missisquoi (1995-2006, 2015-present)
4. Scott Simms, MP for Bonavista-Gander-Grand Falls-Windsor (2004-present)

The voting dynamics of this one will be interesting, particularly since there's something 200 new MPs, 150 of whom are members of the governing party, which you would think would tend to minimize the advantages of the people who served in the recent parliaments (good news for Paradis, MIA since 2006). All of the candidates other than Simms held ministerial jobs of assorted kinds in the Chretien/Martin period, though only Regan's was a full ministry.

You would expect that being bilingual would be an advantage for the candidates, which would help Belanger and Paradis, at least; I'm not sure what Regan and Simms' linguistic proficiency is.

Surprise surprise, Donald Trump does not much care for gender equality in his cabinet.

An MSNBC interviewer brought up Trudeau's stated rationale for the move &#8212; "because it's 2015" &#8212; and she asked the Republican nomination contender whether he'd follow suit.

Trump replied that he has many, many women working for his companies. Perhaps even more than 50 per cent, he said. But he said he'd make cabinet appointments based exclusively on merit, not quotas.

"I'm not one that has to make a pledge," Trump replied to the question from Mika Brzezinski.

"I wouldn't want that. Because I will tell you: I want the best person at each position... I'm going to get the best people for the job."

He mentioned, for example, billionaire investor Carl Icahn, who has endorsed Trump and is apparently already lined up for a cabinet spot should the real-estate-selling reality-TV star win the White House.

The good old "merit" argument.

Sean C

Stoffer was one of the speakers when I visited Parliament Hill with the Forum for Young Canadians back in 2005. Very nice guy, and definitely one of the more surprising losses of the election. But then, waves sweep away the worthy and the unworthy alike.

lupinko

If we want to make aeronautics about emotions or symbols then we should repropup Avro Canada or something.

So Bombardier needs to get its act together.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stoffer was one of the speakers when I visited Parliament Hill with the Forum for Young Canadians back in 2005. Very nice guy, and definitely one of the more surprising losses of the election. But then, waves sweep away the worthy and the unworthy alike.

My wife loved his office and said it was the best place to
drink
on Parliament Hill LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom