• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Anyone following the Hydro One sale? It apparently made $5 billion already: http://business.financialpost.com/n...a-whopping-5-billion-once-you-count-it-all-up

Granted, it's not $5 billion from the strict sale of Hydro One stock. Much of it comes from tax benefits and dividends.

I actually read a reasonable argument about what the thinking behind this sale was.

The Wynne government is unsure about the next election, and they believe the Conservatives are going to sell Hydro One when they get in power. So they're doing it first so they can allocate the money the way they want.

I actually read a reasonable argument about what the thinking behind this sale was.

The Wynne government is unsure about the next election, and they believe the Conservatives are going to sell Hydro One when they get in power. So they're doing it first so they can allocate the money the way they want.

As long as the government owns the majority of Hydro One then this sale is fine with me. Id rather that than the PCs doing some other fucked up shit.

Azih

As long as the government owns the majority of Hydro One then this sale is fine with me. Id rather that than the PCs doing some other fucked up shit.

They said they'd sell 60% of it. Based on the absurd contracts they sign with private companies they might be obligated to do so once the selloff starts or get hit by huge penalties (gas plant :( )

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Well the Conservatives will fire a million public servants if they win, so... uh...

Well it would make sense, The Conservatives were the ones who initially broke up Ontario Hydro into several different corporations... and then tried to sell off Hydro One before being No-confidenced by the Liberals 10 years ago.

Of course, I can totally see this going as another repeat of the Mike Harris Years. 20 years ago we had 2 Liberal Governments followed by NDP where we had some pretty major and essential Infrastructure planned with a Large Portion of the Infrastructure Investment going on just a year or two before the Conservatives under Mike Harris came in. Once he came in, he forced a bunch of the projects which weren't done yet to shut down, then made some of the municipalities undo their work... the most famous being the filling of holes dug for Subway Routes in Toronto.

For Wynne's infrastructure plan to finish, we really will need another term of the Liberals. The downside to this is that they are completely corrupt, but on the other hand if they don't get in, the money will just go down the toilet as it gets cut off and redirected by the Conservatives before a single thing gets done... thus we lose a good portion of this IPO

So essentially, we are fucked if we do, and we are fucked if we don't

orochi91

Some of the articles the National Post has been putting up over the past couple weeks, about Trudeau/Liberals, seem so damn petty and vindictive.

Here are a couple of headlines from today:

Justin Trudeau will meet the Queen — but don’t expect him to pirouette like his flamboyant father

The huggiest PM ever: Justin Trudeau's PDAs are making things awkward for some of us

This is gonna be a loooong 5 years for some folks.

explodet

"The Huggiest PM Ever"?
You're going to put that in your website's goddamn banner headline, NP?

I know they like to editorialize a lot, but this is just silly.

Silexx

Some of the articles the National Post has been putting up over the past couple weeks, about Trudeau/Liberals, seem so damn petty and vindictive.

And the Toronto Star had a profile on the woman who did Justin Trudeau's hair. Nothing wrong with the occasional fluff and/or snark pieces, as long as it's balanced out with the actual hard-hitting stuff.

Walpurgis

Banned
I was just reading this article about the Syrian refugee plan and got to this part.
Immigration Minister John McCallum highlighted this week that one member of the committee pulling together the plan is Minister of Democratic Institutions Maryam Monsef.

"She is a minister who is actually a refugee herself," McCallum said. "We talked about the fact that 20 years from now we may have one of the Syrian refugees sitting around the cabinet table.

"That speaks to the kind of vision we have in this plan."
I was unsure on this McCallum fellow (because I wasn't familiar with him) but I'm sold. I think he'll make an excellent immigration minister and it's clear that he has a heart. He knows what Canada is.

I guess Post Media has set the agenda and they're just following along. It's pathetic.

Sean C

"The Huggiest PM Ever"?
You're going to put that in your website's goddamn banner headline, NP?

I know they like to editorialize a lot, but this is just silly.
That article is actually quite funny, in my opinion, which is the spirit in which it's meant to be taken.

Unrelatedly, it's interesting to consider that, surveying the federal-provincial landscape right now, I'm not sure there's been such a degree of potential ideological synchronicity in living memory (and certainly not during a federal Liberal government). Every PM for a very long time has had to deal with provincial leaders of strongly opposing ideological stripe. Chretien, for instance, had to deal for most of his tenure with powerful PC governments in Ontario and Alberta and the PQ government in Quebec. Trudeau, pere, had powerful Tories like Bill Davis and Peter Lougheed, combative fellow Liberals like Robert Bourassa, and, of course, his titanic opponent Rene Levesque.

What about Trudeau, fils? Seven of the ten provinces have or soon will have (in the case of Newfoundland) Liberal governments; some of these are more aligned with the feds (the Atlantic parties, Ontario) than others (Quebec, BC), but nobody is going to mistake Philippe Couillard and Christy Clark for Robert Bourassa and W.A.C. Bennett.

Then there's the Alberta NDP, surely the most potentially friendly Alberta government for a Liberal administration to work with since the days of Sir Wilfrid Laurier.

The Manitoba NDP is probably going to get the shit kicked out of it in a few months, which will mean there will to Tory or Tory-substitute governments in Manitoba and Saskatchewan in the first few years of Trudeau's term. Brad Wall is the only premier who really stands out from the rest, and he's at heart a conservative technocrat.

For a quick second, I thought we were already back to the glorious days of PET.
If Trudeau decides to step out, I'm betting, based on the amount of physical closeness, it will be for a steamy affair with Chrystia Freeland.

I was unsure on this McCallum fellow (because I wasn't familiar with him) but I'm sold. I think he'll make an excellent immigration minister and it's clear that he has a heart. He knows what Canada is.
Anecdote: While standing in line to vote in the first round of balloting at the 2006 Liberal leadership convention, I spent a decent amount of time chatting with an elderly lady who turned out to be John McCallum's mother. I was mildly astonished, which, when you look at his bio, is a bit unnecessary, since he was only 56 at that point, but he's always looked much older than his actual age.

The most recent issue of the Hill Times lists four Liberal MPs who are evidently putting out feelers to run for Speaker of the House (pending Trudeau notifying them whether there are any other opportunities in the works, i.e., parliamentary secretarial jobs or committee chairs; though I was under the impression the latter were to be elected by secret ballot). The four are:

1. Geoff Regan, MP for Halifax West (1993-1997, 2000-present)
2. Mauril Belanger, MP for Ottawa-Vanier (1995-present)
3. Denis Paradis, MP for Brome-Missisquoi (1995-2006, 2015-present)
4. Scott Simms, MP for Bonavista-Gander-Grand Falls-Windsor (2004-present)

I'm a little surprised Belanger is that interested in any job that takes him away from his doodling.

(Aside: saying this made me realize how old I am, since I can't find any references to this online. But I swear I'm not making it up: way back in the '90s, there were several stories about how Belanger would just sit in the House doodling caricatures of his fellow MPs. Seeing as he's never really done anything since then, I don't know why he'd have stopped, but I can't find any stories about it online.)

This refugee influx is going to be a gongshow. Agencies don't know what is going on, mayors don't know what is going on, provinces don't seem to know what's going on, school boards like Surrey that are already struggling for space need to find space for hundreds more kids all at once.

Not to mention, what are these poor people going to do in Vancouver or Toronto? Rental vacancy is under 1% here in Metro Vancouver, where they gonna put these people up? How will they ever be able to afford anything here?

I'm sure even the uncertainty is likely better than the risk of getting killed there, but seems like Trudeau is going 0-100 really fast here.

I don't think space is an issue: we've had numerous influxes of refugees in the past, and it's always worked. There are minor hiccups here and there, but it will work itself out once they're here.

The bigger issue is how they get them here, because I don't think it's realistic for our country to move that many people in such a short amount of time. Canada barely has any kind of mass transport capabilities (hence why the Liberals vowed to scrap the F35 purchase and reinvest in more worthwhile things like ships), so unless Air Canada's promise to help get the refugees over is way more expansive than anyone could imagine, I just don't see how it happens.

Unrelatedly, it's interesting to consider that, surveying the federal-provincial landscape right now, I'm not sure there's been such a degree of potential ideological synchronicity in living memory (and certainly not during a federal Liberal government). Every PM for a very long time has had to deal with provincial leaders of strongly opposing ideological stripe. Chretien, for instance, had to deal for most of his tenure with powerful PC governments in Ontario and Alberta and the PQ government in Quebec. Trudeau, pere, had powerful Tories like Bill Davis and Peter Lougheed, combative fellow Liberals like Robert Bourassa, and, of course, his titanic opponent Rene Levesque.

What about Trudeau, fils? Seven of the ten provinces have or soon will have (in the case of Newfoundland) Liberal governments; some of these are more aligned with the feds (the Atlantic parties, Ontario) than others (Quebec, BC), but nobody is going to mistake Philippe Couillard and Christy Clark for Robert Bourassa and W.A.C. Bennett.

Then there's the Alberta NDP, surely the most potentially friendly Alberta government for a Liberal administration to work with since the days of Sir Wilfrid Laurier.

The Manitoba NDP is probably going to get the shit kicked out of it in a few months, which will mean there will to Tory or Tory-substitute governments in Manitoba and Saskatchewan in the first few years of Trudeau's term. Brad Wall is the only premier who really stands out from the rest, and he's at heart a conservative technocrat.

I read a few days ago that if/when the Conservatives get blown out in Newfoundland, it'll be the first time since 1940 that there are no Conservative governments anywhere in Canada. Obviously the Wall is a Conservative in all but name, and the BC and Quebec Liberal parties aren't perfectly aligned with their federal counterparts, but still: it's pretty remarkable when you think about it. I can see it going disastrously wrong for the Liberals, since it could just mean that the conflicts will be that much pettier, but until then, hopefully we have some cooperative federalism for the first time in about a decade.

The NDP announced their shadow cabinet this morning. Somehow -- and even though they criticized the Liberals for having too large a cabinet -- they managed to give all 44 of their MPs shadow portfolios. Presumably the Conservatives will have their assignments out soon too -- not too long until Parliament resumes, so you'd think they would want their frontbenchers to have some time to go over their portfolios.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am surprised to see Charlie Angus get what seems to be to be a relatively unimportant portfolio (Indigenous Affairs). I don't say that to crap on the portfolio but rather because it seems like an area of significant agreement between the Liberals and NDP. Obviously the opposition has to hold government accountable even if they totally agree, but it seems to me that you invest your best people on the issues with the most serious disagreement.

Kennedy Stewart is a nice choice for Science.

Not a big surprise to see Niki Ashton get a plum job.

You... do see how these are not in any way analogous situations similarly deserving of criticism, right?

I'm well aware of the fact that they needed to find something for everyone to do, yes. At the same time, though, if your first reaction to the real cabinet is that it's disappointingly large, you kind of lose that line of attack by then creating even larger shadow cabinet.

I also don't get why they need a Quebec Lieutenant when the leader is from the province anyway, but I realize that I'm not allowed to question the NDP around here.

Sean C

I am surprised to see Charlie Angus get what seems to be to be a relatively unimportant portfolio (Indigenous Affairs). I don't say that to crap on the portfolio but rather because it seems like an area of significant agreement between the Liberals and NDP. Obviously the opposition has to hold government accountable even if they totally agree, but it seems to me that you invest your best people on the issues with the most serious disagreement.
I actually count no less than three people assigned in Indigenous issues. Angus, Georgina Jolibois (deputy critic), and Romeo Saganash (intergovernmental aboriginal affairs). I guess they're anticipating this being a major topic in the upcoming parliament.

Hélène Laverdière is the foreign affairs critic; her riding is a stone's throw away from Stephane Dion's, fittingly enough.

I also don't get why they need a Quebec Lieutenant when the leader is from the province anyway, but I realize that I'm not allowed to question the NDP around here.
Actually, even party leaders from Quebec have Quebec lieutenants. Chretien and Martin both did. I don't know if it's ever been indicated who is doing that job for Trudeau; Garneau still, maybe?

maharg

idspispopd
I'm well aware of the fact that they needed to find something for everyone to do, yes. At the same time, though, if your first reaction to the real cabinet is that it's disappointingly large, you kind of lose that line of attack by then creating even larger shadow cabinet.

I don't think you really understand the line of criticism against a large cabinet. A ministry comes with a larger salary and staff, which cost money and can at least appear to be, when the cabinet gets particularly large, patronage and make-work for people of privilege in the ruling party.

None of that applies to shadow cabinets. Do you really think people criticize large cabinets because they think there isn't enough for them to do?

Not that I think Trudeau's cabinet is particularly large, so if Mulcair criticized that then that's stupid. But not because he gave his entire caucus something to do with no pay bump. I can't seem to find this criticism, though, so a link would be nice.

Oh come on.

Justin Trudeau's government expected to drop niqab appeal tomorrow - Politics - CBC News

giphy.gif

eeesh, NDP shadow cabinet not diverse at all, it's like entirely English, Scott, French and Irish names exclusively. So 19th Century.

And guess how that particular NDP Quebec Lieutenant voted in 1995

Walpurgis

Banned
eeesh, NDP shadow cabinet not diverse at all, it's like entirely English, Scott, French and Irish names exclusively. So 19th Century.
The NDP didn't choose the members of this shadow cabinet, voters did.
And guess how that particular NDP Quebec Lieutenant voted in 1995
You and maybe one other person in this thread are the only ones that care.

Actually, even party leaders from Quebec have Quebec lieutenants. Chretien and Martin both did. I don't know if it's ever been indicated who is doing that job for Trudeau; Garneau still, maybe?

They did? I was under the impression that the whole idea of a "Quebec lieutenant" was a throwback to the days of Mackenzie King and earlier, when there was a much clearer delineation between Quebec and the rest of Canada. Wikipedia shows that's clearly not the case, and I knew that Harper was always trying to find some senior representation in Quebec (which led to that whole Michael Fortier debacle), but I just didn't think it was still a major concern in this day and age.

I don't think you really understand the line of criticism against a large cabinet. A ministry comes with a larger salary and staff, which cost money and can at least appear to be, when the cabinet gets particularly large, patronage and make-work for people of privilege in the ruling party.

None of that applies to shadow cabinets. Do you really think people criticize large cabinets because they think there isn't enough for them to do?

Not that I think Trudeau's cabinet is particularly large, so if Mulcair criticized that then that's stupid. But not because he gave his entire caucus something to do with no pay bump. I can't seem to find this criticism, though, so a link would be nice.

Here you go.

But I'll admit that the pay issue totally didn't occur to me. Cabinet size and MP pay (or additional pay, in this case) have never bothered me at all, since I've always felt like our representatives were somewhat underpaid anyway, and I'm all for bigger government. That seems like a weird direction for the NDP, of all parties, to come at it, but now that you mention it, I can see why some people might take issue with it.

To the extent that's an issue at all, that would be because of who they recruited to run in the first place, not who they chose for each portfolio. Like any party, they have to make do with who they have. The only area where their diversity seems a little odd is indigenous affairs. I know that some people appreciate the symbolism of having indigenous people assigned to the portfolios (there was even that debate in our last thread, if I'm not mistaken), but if you're going to do that, I don't get why you'd put a non-native (Charlie Angus) as your main critic, and make your two native MPs deputies on that file, rather than letting one or both of them own it.

Willectro

Banned
Bombardier is a shit company that can't build things properly and then lies about it. It's idiotic this company is "too big to fail"

Yep. Canada will probably bail them out so Bombardier can continue to pay high salaries to useless leadership. Kinda like the TTC though, paying execs 6 figures for zero results, and blame external sources for issues.

The NDP didn't choose the members of this shadow cabinet, voters did.

lol wut?

the leader chooses who he wants to form a shadow cabinet, you and I don't vote on it.

Oh!!! you mean people voted for the candidates!!! ahh okay, that sounds like a Conservative talking point to skirt to issue of lack of diversity

Azih

lol wut?

the leader chooses who he wants to form a shadow cabinet, you and I don't vote on it.

Oh!!! you mean people voted for the candidates!!! ahh okay, that sounds like a Conservative talking point to skirt to issue of lack of diversity

Not in the sense that a diverse slate of NDP candidates just didn't get elected: Here's the NDP caucus

http://www.ndp.ca/team

It's pretty pale there.

The NDP doesn't have the diverse pool to pick from that the Liberals have. It's as simple as that. You can bet that Mulcair would love to have diversity on his cabinet just so he can position himself at least a bit for the next election in the GTA. He just doesn't have the option.

not to mention that they will have the oldest party leader in the house knocking on 70.

Conservatives will most likely pick their leader in their 40s or at worse in their early 50s.

Pedrito

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...accused-of-leaving-bare-cupboard-for-liberals

Not entirely unexpected. Wonder if they'll fast-track pot decriminalization and legalization now. It's probably the quickest money-saver and money-maker they have in their pocket.

I wish parties would just add a "- $5 billion - Books cooked by previous governement" line in their economic platform in the future.
It happens every single time, so they should stop acting so surprised.

I don't know if the rest of you are following FlushGate,

Normal people are pissed off about the dump of 8 billion liters of human waste into the St-Laurence while the Mayor is trying to minimize the impact by doing photo-ops practically has put an end to his honeymoon

Mayor Coderre is a photo-op hog, nobody thinks too much of his camera hog time but with the major exception of yersday. Yesterday's photo-op was the icing on the cake and it's end of the love affair.

It doesn't matter if you are Right, Left, Federalist, Souvernitst, Environmentalist or Capitalist.
The consensus among all is that the Mayor stooped low (literally)

Prax

Yeah.. the shortfall from the conservatives is not surprising, but a huge disappointment, and makes me extra side-eye-y at people who keep voting conservatives in based on the importance of the economy.

I really wish people could get over the whole "budget balance == economy" thing.

It's like people believe if the budget is balanced magically the economy becomes great. If anything you're more likely to see fewer deficit budgets in times when things are chugging along nicely but even that isn't guaranteed or necessary.

maharg

idspispopd

Weird. Silly thing to criticize.

But I'll admit that the pay issue totally didn't occur to me. Cabinet size and MP pay (or additional pay, in this case) have never bothered me at all, since I've always felt like our representatives were somewhat underpaid anyway, and I'm all for bigger government. That seems like a weird direction for the NDP, of all parties, to come at it, but now that you mention it, I can see why some people might take issue with it.

I don't know why I have to keep pointing out that the ndp is a populist party with populist planks like budget balancing and not having an overly ostentatious government, and yet I do. It's not a new or unusual angle for them at all and I feel like a lot of people are only just learning what the ndp actually think after decades of liberals and conservatives alike straight up calling them Marxists.
To the extent that's an issue at all, that would be because of who they recruited to run in the first place, not who they chose for each portfolio. Like any party, they have to make do with who they have. The only area where their diversity seems a little odd is indigenous affairs. I know that some people appreciate the symbolism of having indigenous people assigned to the portfolios (there was even that debate in our last thread, if I'm not mistaken), but if you're going to do that, I don't get why you'd put a non-native (Charlie Angus) as your main critic, and make your two native MPs deputies on that file, rather than letting one or both of them own it.

Something to be clarified here is that the ndp actually ran a remarkably diverse slate in a lot of ways. More women and more indigenous candidates than the liberals, let alone the conservatives, afaik. This is an area they've worked hard on since like 4 liberal leaders ago. It's who won that limits them, and that's largely because they were reduced in the East and picked up seats in the more homogenous west.

Mayor Coderre is a photo-op hog, nobody thinks too much of his camera hog time but with the major exception of yersday. Yesterday's photo-op was the icing on the cake and it's end of the love affair.

Whoever thought this would make for a good photo should, at the very least, be demoted into a position where they aren't setting up photo ops anymore. This is like the Duceppe hairnet picture on steroids.

Something to be clarified here is that the ndp actually ran a remarkably diverse slate in a lot of ways. More women and more indigenous candidates than the liberals, let alone the conservatives, afaik. This is an area they've worked hard on since like 4 liberal leaders ago. It's who won that limits them, and that's largely because they were reduced in the East and picked up seats in the more homogenous west.

I mean, you could maybe fault them for where they run their diverse candidates, since one general criticism -- of all parties across the ideological spectrum everywhere -- is that even if non-white/male candidates are being put forward, it's not necessarily in winnable ridings, but I don't think that applies to any greater extent in this case. As you note, they ran more female candidates than any other party, and I imagine the ethnic make-up of their slate was at least on par with (if not better than) what the other parties were offering. They just lost a lot of MPs, so they had to make do with what they had. They couldn't suddenly create diversity that wasn't there when it came to their shadow cabinet.

Whoever thought this would make for a good photo should, at the very least, be demoted into a position where they aren't setting up photo ops anymore. This is like the Duceppe hairnet picture on steroids..
Then that would be the Mayor himself.
he's a social media hog and can historicallly be mapped by the amounts of selfies taken with him at different places on the same day across the city.

I voted for Melanie Joly last time for mayor

Denis Coderre will be the next LPC leader, beating Melanie Joly in the 2024 leadership race

[/gutter]

Coderre (Kid Kodak) failed at many attempts to try to win the leadership of LPC, that is his main motivation for leaving Federal politics because he will never be leader.

Melanie Joly though, she will be a future Prime Minister. Year yet to be determined but she will be Prime Minister

Pedrito

Coderre (Kid Kodak) failed at many attempts to try to win the leadership of LPC, that is his main motivation for leaving Federal politics because he will never be leader.

Melanie Joly though, she will be a future Prime Minister. Year yet to be determined but she will be Prime Minister

I'm not really being serious, but I could still see it happening. You can't compare pre-mayor Coderre with the Coderre of now, who's become extremely popular.

As for Joly, I have no idea what's supposed to be the big deal about her. For everything I've seen, she's nothing more than the LPC version of Pierre Poilievre, only nicer. And she's already the butt of the joke in Quebec. She might turn out great, but for now she's all hype.

I'm not really being serious, but I could still see it happening. You can't compare pre-mayor Coderre with the Coderre of now, who's become extremely popular.

As for Joly, I have no idea what's supposed to be the big deal about her. For everything I've seen, she's nothing more than the LPC version of Pierre Poilievre, only nicer. And she's already the butt of the joke in Quebec. She might turn out great, but for now she's all hype.
Coderre is Chretien era LPC. No Chretien era or Martin era Liberal will ever become leader of the party

Slime

Banned
Today, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau took the unprecedented step of publicly releasing all ministerial mandate letters, as part of his plan for open and transparent government for Canadians.

The ministerial mandate letters highlight the government’s commitment to invest in jobs and growth for the middle class and those working hard to join it. They outline the government’s strong, ambitious, and progressive vision that will deliver real change and shared prosperity. The mandate letters also provide a framework for what Ministers are expected to accomplish, including specific policy objectives and challenges to be addressed.

Canadians expect their government to pursue its goals and objectives with a renewed sense of collaboration. That is why the Prime Minister commits in these letters to ongoing partnerships with provincial, territorial, and municipal governments. Ministers are similarly expected to meaningfully engage with Parliament, Indigenous Peoples, and the public service.

This initiative today by the Prime Minister sets a historic precedent for openness and transparency, which Canadians expect from their government.

“Today we are demonstrating that real change in government is possible. For the first time in our country’s history, we are making these letters public, so Canadians can hold us accountable to deliver on our commitments. We are ushering in a new era of openness and transparency in Canada.”
- Rt. Hon. Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada

“Real, positive change means new leadership and transparent government for Canadians. Our Ministers are being encouraged in their mandate letters to consult closely as a team, to listen, and to carefully consider the expert advice of public servants. I am confident such measures will lead to better decision-making and results for Canadians.”
- Rt. Hon. Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/ministerial-mandate-letters

Eh, Wynne also released the ministerial mandate letters for all the good that did for accountability. It's probably worse too because now they have to be filled with fluff for the public.

gabbo

They talked about this yesterday on Power and Politics.
It was mentioned in passing, but really, how big or bad would the fallout be among Eastern European Canadians? I can't imagine the coliseum to communism victims is a must have? Seems more like a token gesture that Harper was so fond of instead of systemic/institutional change and a gaudy waste of space?

Pedrito

If she does, I take everything I've said 7 posts up.

It was mentioned in passing, but really, how big or bad would the fallout be among Eastern European Canadians? I can't imagine the coliseum to communism victims is a must have? Seems more like a token gesture that Harper was so fond of instead of systemic/institutional change and a gaudy waste of space?

At the very least, change it to "victims of totalitarism".

explodet

I'm still demanding my Victims of Capitalism and Victims of Anarcho-Syndicalism memorials.

(come and see the violence inherent in the system!)

At the very least, change it to "victims of totalitarism".

At the very least, let's not waste prime downtown real estate within a short walk of future rail stations for ugly, useless monuments that have nothing to do with Canada.

At the very least, take out the useless parking lot they wanted to surround it in.

Slime

Banned
Shadiest thing about the memorial is that for years the site was going to be the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Judicial Building. Strikes me as an another example of Harper's weird, career-long anti-Trudeau crusade.

Fitting that it's being canned by Trudeau's government.

Also, the design was ugly af.

I'm *shocked* that the CPC rank and file supporters haven't gotten the memo that they need to rebrand and rethink their tone.

Maybe an Ontario PC-style death spiral isn't out of the question?

I don't think it was entirely empty. Harper generally had a Cold War mindset, so I wouldn't be shocked if, in his mind, this monstrosity really was sticking it to communists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom