• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean C

I don't think it was entirely empty. Harper generally had a Cold War mindset, so I wouldn't be shocked if, in his mind, this monstrosity really was sticking it to communists.
Harper's philosophy, in general, involved a lot of posturing at threats that didn't exist, or, in some cases, didn't exist anymore.

He had a 1980s tough-on-crime agenda at a time when crime was already falling to its lowest rate since the 1960s.

Edit: The full list of mandate letters for the cabinet. As you might expect, since they knew these were going to be released, there's a ton of press-release verbiage (though granted, I don't know what previous mandate letters looked like, so maybe this is standard form), but there's an itemized list of every minister's supposed policy priorities and functions. Apparently the Minister of Status of Women (that's an ungainly title) is supposed to monitor senior appointments to make sure gender parity is being observed.

CTtDiwRWIAIk-PF.jpg:large
That is some damn nice saltiness while I stuff my face with sweet laddu.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Anyone else facebook light up with anti-Justin-rants after the horrifying attack in Paris?
Just one. It was "Wake up Justin!!!". And in comments, he clarified that Justin Trudeau is going to let 25k refugees in without background checks, and what happened in Paris will happen here.

Silexx

Anyone else facebook light up with anti-Justin-rants after the horrifying attack in Paris?

I have one Facebook friend who she and her husband actually work for the Conservative party. Yet all she ever posts is pictures of her family on various vacations with the very rare photo of her posing with a Conservative MP.

The rest of my friends, however, all post the most left-wing propaganda you can think of. Most of them are so far up Trudeau's ass they can't even see the light of day. And I said this as someone who has voted Liberal all his life.

In other news:

Trudeau calls for ban of solitary confinement in federal prisons: Toward effective, just, and humane corrections http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/trudeau-calls-for-implementation-of-ashley-smith-inquest-recommendations/article27256251/

FUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
With the discovery that the paris attackers were Syrian refugees that came in October, I wonder how this will affect Trudeau's plan to bring 25000 over this year.

Pedrito

Conservatives were really angry that he took so long to issue a statement yesterday. Apparently it's some sort of contest and you have to be FIRST and act the most outraged.
The comment section syndrome I guess.

SRG01

With the discovery that the paris attackers were Syrian refugees that came in October, I wonder how this will affect Trudeau's plan to bring 25000 over this year.

It won't. Canada is bringing in a relatively small number with security checks and all. A significant portion of them are also private sponsorships too.

Of course, the general public may not catch onto these differences though :/

gabbo

I have one Facebook friend who she and her husband actually work for the Conservative party. Yet all she ever posts is pictures of her family on various vacations with the very rare photo of her posing with a Conservative MP.

The rest of my friends, however, all post the most left-wing propaganda you can think of. Most of them are so far up Trudeau's ass they can't even see the light of day. And I said this as someone who has Liberal all his life.

I guess my social media is a little more balanced between those spewing hate and those in love with everything he touches (not that it's a good place to stand in the middle of)

In other news:
Trudeau calls for ban of solitary confinement in federal prisons: Toward effective, just, and humane corrections http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle27256251/
FUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!
Oh man, a good chunk of my family is going to hate this 'soft on crime, hates the military' PM fiercely. But that's a change I can stand behind. Prisoners are citizens too, it's nice to see government not all about punishment

Conservatives were really angry that he took so long to issue a statement yesterday. Apparently it's some sort of contest and you have to be FIRST and act the most outraged.
The comment section syndrome I guess.

Off the cuff is the only way to show you're a strong leader. Measured and thoughtful is for pussies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ott...to-and-the-problem-with-backseat-ministering/

But the phrase “act of war,” pronounced by the leaders of one of Europe’s biggest governments, has particular significance.

Jason Kenney, the former defence minister, was quick to assert that Hollande’s statement “has implications for Canada under the NATO Treaty’s Article 5.” Article 5 is the big one: it declares that an attack on one member state is an attack on all, and will meet a response from all. There followed a tirade from Kenney, interrupted with heckling from yours truly, to the effect that from the moment Hollande said the word “war,” Canada had a treaty obligation to ditch Trudeau’s plan to withdraw the CF-18s.

To call Kenney’s reasoning shaky would be to insult Jell-O. First, as NATO’s own website explains, you don’t invoke Article 5 with incantations. You do so at a meeting of the alliance’s North Atlantic Council, and Article 5 has been invoked precisely once in the alliance’s 70 years: after 9/11.

Second, again using NATO’s own language, “Allies can provide any form of assistance they deem necessary to respond to the situation. This assistance is not necessarily military and depends on the material resources of each country. Each individual member determines how it will contribute.” If Article 5 were formally invoked, that would not confer any obligation on any member state to apply lethal violence in the Iraq/Syria theatre. And as it happens, the Liberal government’s policy—announced a year ago, tested in an election three weeks ago, repeated in Trudeau’s mandate letter to his new defence minister—is not to drop everything and come home, it’s to “refocus … Canada’s efforts in the region on the training of local forces and humanitarian support.”

Once implemented — it hasn’t been yet; Canadian jets are, at last report, still carrying out raids against IS targets — Trudeau’s policy would bring Canada into line with the activities of such honest-to-gosh NATO members as Spain, Slovakia, Norway, Bulgaria, Poland, Croatia and Romania. Jim Stavridis, the former US navy admiral who served as Supreme Allied Commander in Europe, dashed off an oped calling for NATO to attack IS. But even Stavridis called troop training — Trudeau’s avowed goal in the region — the “most important” project NATO could undertake if it gets involved...

On all of these elements—speed and quantity of refugee welcome, armed intervention against Islamic State—it’s easy to imagine Trudeau’s plans changing in the Paris aftermath. But we just had an election on these precise questions, and the voters’ judgment was not vague. And it’s disturbing to see a former defence minister and near-certain aspirant to the Conservative leadership invoke Canada’s most fundamental mutual-security alliance with little apparent understanding of what it says or means. (One presumes, of course, that Kenney knows precisely what he’s talking about, and therefore that he stands on quicksand with his claims, but that he figured a little weekend arm-waving wouldn’t hurt.)

I’m also a little tired of these Conservative Party chicken hawks. If the fight against Islamic State is existential, then don’t send a measly six CF-18s. If procuring new fighters is fundamental to Canada’s security, procure some. If Canada doesn’t cut and run, then don’t end Jean Chrétien’s Afghanistan deployment just because Stephen Harper grew weary of the fight. If the way to stop refugees leaving Syria is to make Syria less of a hellhole, then don’t give Bashar al-Assad carte blanche.

If, on the other hand, you belonged to a government that ended the Afghanistan mission, deployed nothing more than cross words against Assad, and did not send more hardware to the region than Belgium and the Netherlands, then maybe do a little less chest-beating.

One more thing. For reasons that remain unexplained, except for Trudeau’s comment the day after the October election that he would draw down Canada’s military deployment in Iraq in a “responsible” way, the RCAF is still running bombing raids over there. Which means Trudeau’s policy has not yet been implemented in any way. Which means that right through Friday’s attack in Paris, Canada’s policy against Islamic State was Stephen Harper’s and Jason Kenney’s policy. That’s the sort of chain of events that might inspire some humility, in a party that professes to be remorseful about its “tone.”

Jason Kenney, the former defence minister, was quick to assert that Hollande’s statement “has implications for Canada under the NATO Treaty’s Article 5.” Article 5 is the big one: it declares that an attack on one member state is an attack on all, and will meet a response from all. There followed a tirade from Kenney, interrupted with heckling from yours truly, to the effect that from the moment Hollande said the word “war,” Canada had a treaty obligation to ditch Trudeau’s plan to withdraw the CF-18s.

To call Kenney’s reasoning shaky would be to insult Jell-O. First, as NATO’s own website explains, you don’t invoke Article 5 with incantations. You do so at a meeting of the alliance’s North Atlantic Council, and Article 5 has been invoked precisely once in the alliance’s 70 years: after 9/11.

Second, again using NATO’s own language, “Allies can provide any form of assistance they deem necessary to respond to the situation. This assistance is not necessarily military and depends on the material resources of each country. Each individual member determines how it will contribute.” If Article 5 were formally invoked, that would not confer any obligation on any member state to apply lethal violence in the Iraq/Syria theatre. And as it happens, the Liberal government’s policy—announced a year ago, tested in an election three weeks ago, repeated in Trudeau’s mandate letter to his new defence minister—is not to drop everything and come home, it’s to “refocus … Canada’s efforts in the region on the training of local forces and humanitarian support.”

Once implemented — it hasn’t been yet; Canadian jets are, at last report, still carrying out raids against IS targets — Trudeau’s policy would bring Canada into line with the activities of such honest-to-gosh NATO members as Spain, Slovakia, Norway, Bulgaria, Poland, Croatia and Romania. Jim Stavridis, the former US navy admiral who served as Supreme Allied Commander in Europe, dashed off an oped calling for NATO to attack IS. But even Stavridis called troop training — Trudeau’s avowed goal in the region — the “most important” project NATO could undertake if it gets involved.

On all of these elements—speed and quantity of refugee welcome, armed intervention against Islamic State—it’s easy to imagine Trudeau’s plans changing in the Paris aftermath. But we just had an election on these precise questions, and the voters’ judgment was not vague. And it’s disturbing to see a former defence minister and near-certain aspirant to the Conservative leadership invoke Canada’s most fundamental mutual-security alliance with little apparent understanding of what it says or means. (One presumes, of course, that Kenney knows precisely what he’s talking about, and therefore that he stands on quicksand with his claims, but that he figured a little weekend arm-waving wouldn’t hurt.)

I’m also a little tired of these Conservative Party chicken hawks. If the fight against Islamic State is existential, then don’t send a measly six CF-18s. If procuring new fighters is fundamental to Canada’s security, procure some. If Canada doesn’t cut and run, then don’t end Jean Chrétien’s Afghanistan deployment just because Stephen Harper grew weary of the fight. If the way to stop refugees leaving Syria is to make Syria less of a hellhole, then don’t give Bashar al-Assad carte blanche.

If, on the other hand, you belonged to a government that ended the Afghanistan mission, deployed nothing more than cross words against Assad, and did not send more hardware to the region than Belgium and the Netherlands, then maybe do a little less chest-beating.

One more thing. For reasons that remain unexplained, except for Trudeau’s comment the day after the October election that he would draw down Canada’s military deployment in Iraq in a “responsible” way, the RCAF is still running bombing raids over there. Which means Trudeau’s policy has not yet been implemented in any way. Which means that right through Friday’s attack in Paris, Canada’s policy against Islamic State was Stephen Harper’s and Jason Kenney’s policy. That’s the sort of chain of events that might inspire some humility, in a party that professes to be remorseful about its “tone.”

Beautiful.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ott...to-and-the-problem-with-backseat-ministering/

That really is good to see. This is long overdue.

That said, a rant. I'm really starting to get annoyed at all the people complaining about the fact that we are bringing refugees in. 'Its a Security Risk' they say, without taking a moment to think and realize its highely likely that the Refugees we end up bringing will be largely from the pool of refugees who applied and were shafted over the past few years. A good poriton of them will also be from current residents bringing family in and the rest will probably be brought in based off of information from a shared pool of data from our allies in Europe.

Realistically the portion we bring in who haven't gone through any screening whatsoever is likely going to be extremely small, and even then they will go through a quick screen before stepping on a plane or boat. I mean, its okay to be skeptical, and its okay to be weary... but this is just downright paranoia.

gabbo

That said, a rant. I'm really starting to get annoyed at all the people complaining about the fact that we are bringing refugees in. 'Its a Security Risk' they say, without taking a moment to think and realize its highely likely that the Refugees we end up bringing will be largely from the pool of refugees who applied and were shafted over the past few years. A good poriton of them will also be from current residents bringing family in and the rest will probably be brought in based off of information from a shared pool of data from our allies in Europe.

Realistically the portion we bring in who haven't gone through any screening whatsoever is likely going to be extremely small, and even then they will go through a quick screen before stepping on a plane or boat. I mean, its okay to be skeptical, and its okay to be weary... but this is just downright paranoia.

Anything to help them feed their own internal xenophobic/Justinphobic narrative

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ce-maxime-bernier-considers-running-1.3319818

Maxime Bernier hints that he will think about running for the Conservative leadership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99bsPtZ3T4Q
Video is a pardoy but the music was from his radio ad which was full of cheese

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2015/09/14/audio-la-nouvelle-publicite-de-maxime-bernier-fait-jaser
original link to his cheesy radio campaign ad last election
(notice that he ignores mentioning Conservative in his ad because he is bigger than his party in his riding)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can someone help me with something historically?

Mackenzie King's cabinet
Secretary of State at this point means something like Minister of Foreign Affairs does today + something some internal, within-Canada responsibilities.

Minister without Portfolio is basically a token role for a superstar to give them a voice in cabinet even though they don't have a department.

P. Trudeau's cabinet
Now we have "Ministers of State", who are basically sub-Ministerial roles in Cabinet. They're somewhere between a Parliamentary Secretary / Assistant Minister and a full Minister. Some of them help actual ministers, others handle oversight of some specific sub-department level bureaucracy Then we also have Ministers of State for specific things, like Minister of State for Urban Affairs, etc.

Secretary of State and Minister without Portfolio still exist at this point. It's totally unclear to me how a Minister without Portfolio differs from a Minister of State in context.

Leader of the Government in the Senate gets added to the Cabinet.

Mulroney's cabinet
Ministers without Portfolio are gone. Secretary of State still exists. Ministers of State are no longer listed in the cabinet but still are in the cabinet.

Campbell's cabinet
Campbell abolishes Ministers of State. Leader of the Government in the House gets added to the Cabinet.

Chretien's cabinet
Chretien shows up. Ministers of State are brought back as "Secretaries of State", which is confusing because "Secretary of State" (i.e. Foreign Minister) still exists. Secretaries of State are part of the privy council but not listed in the cabinet or the ministry. The Secretary of State position (i.e. Foreign Minister) is abolished and replaced by the Foreign Minister. "For legal purposes, the Secretaries of State are formally appointed as Ministers of State to Assist." okay so we've brought back Ministers of State, I guess?

Martin's cabinet
Deputy Leader of the Government in the House of Commons is added to cabinet. Secretaries of State are gone, now they're called Ministers of State, still part of the privy council, still not listed in the cabinet.

Okay, so, having walked through my thinking, if you were doing research on cabinet and needed to code people as part of cabinet or not part of cabinet, how would you do it? Ministers of State have cabinet-like visibility in the media, are part of the privy council, and present legislation as though they were cabinet ministers, but are not technically cabinet ministers at some times and are at others. Ministers without Portfolio are part of the cabinet but have none of the public-facing effects. The party whip is not part of the cabinet but the deputy leader in the house sometimes is and the leader is eventually added.

Making matters worse, some leaders styled Ministers of State as Ministers (i.e. J. Trudeau has a Minister for the Status of Women who is actually a Minister of State for the Status of Women). I get that in Trudeau's case this is mostly that the people will be full ministers but he needs to make legal changes to their mandates to get them there. But in the historical cases that's an awful lot of research to figure out what the intent was.

Do you guys think it's fair or safe to, when coding this stuff, just consider everyone listed by the PCO as being part of the "Ministry" to be the Cabinet, and everyone not listed as not being part of the Cabinet?

Trudeau should stop with the selfies at the G-20 and show more a serious face.

I like the guy, but the selfies this week have to stop.

*I'm not turning Conservative, I am just saying that in serious times means serious demeanor

Can someone help me with something historically?

*snips background research*

Do you guys think it's fair or safe to, when coding this stuff, just consider everyone listed by the PCO as being part of the "Ministry" to be the Cabinet, and everyone not listed as not being part of the Cabinet?

Hmm...I think you have to go with whoever the PCO says is part of Cabinet, which would seem to generally include Ministers of State. The only things I have to base that on are:

1) This list of Chretien's Secretaries of State, which very explicitly states "NOT OF THE CABINET" -- which, to me, suggests that Ministers of State are part of the Cabinet, since they don't get that on their pages.

2) Wikipedia (I know, I know), which states "like in many other Westminster model governments, ministers of state in Canada are considered full members of Cabinet, rather than of the ministry outside it, which has the effect of making the Canadian Cabinet much larger than its foreign counterparts."

3) Dawson's "Democratic Government in Canada", which talks about the Cabinet in Chapter 5, and in there he says that Ministers of State (who don't have a portfolio) are part of Cabinet. I think that's the big one, since Marleau and Montpetit's House of Commons Procedure and Practice references the Dawson book when they explain Cabinet vs Ministry, and that's the guidebook for the House of Commons.

There's also Eugene Forsey's book, How Canadians Govern Themselves, which talks about who's in Cabinet. In the first chapter...I don't know how helpful that is to the discussion, though, since he says that Ministers of State aren't always in Cabinet, but doesn't say how the determination is made. Still, it's Forsey, and you can't talk about parliament without including his thoughts on the matter, however vague they may be.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ce-maxime-bernier-considers-running-1.3319818

Maxime Bernier hints that he will think about running for the Conservative leadership.

I know he's kind of a laughingstock for that whole "leaving confidential files at the home of his ex-girlfriend who was also a Hell's Angel" thing, but I think he has a legitimate shot at the leadership. He's a hardcore right-winger who can bring the promise of Quebec seats -- I don't know of many other candidates who'd bring that to the table.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know he's kind of a laughingstock for that whole "leaving confidential files at the home of his ex-girlfriend who was also a Hell's Angel" thing, but I think he has a legitimate shot at the leadership. He's a hardcore right-winger who can bring the promise of Quebec seats -- I don't know of many other candidates who'd bring that to the table.
I don't know if whatever makes up the CPC base nowadays would be happy with having Canada's next PM be a pissing match between two Quebecers. Part of Harper's "charm" for the old CPC base was that he wasn't from there.

Trudeau should stop with the selfies at the G-20 and show more a serious face.

I like the guy, but the selfies this week have to stop.

*I'm not turning Conservative, I am just saying that in serious times means serious demeanor

I disagree, but I also couldn't give a fuck about terrorism.

maharg

idspispopd
I don't know if whatever makes up the CPC base nowadays would be happy with having Canada's next PM be a pissing match between two Quebecers. Part of Harper's "charm" for the old CPC base was that he wasn't from there.

Two? That'd make all the major leaders except May from Quebec, so I'm not really sure what the protest vote for CPC voters who don't want a Quebecer would be. At any rate the radical Conservative base in the ROC is likely to cosy up with the French/Quebec-style Conservativism from here on out, since they share similar lines of thinking about identity poltiics. I could see it working out well for them.

Willectro

Banned

I think given the weekend's events that people may be paranoid. It's not like our governments haven't dropped the ball on other initiatives in the past, then shrugged their shoulders. That said, even if someone had ill intent, the chance of catching them during the screening would likely be slim.

I still haven't heard much about the overall plan. Toronto Community Housing is holding on by their fingernails (many of the buildings aged and in very dire condition) to provide housing for 60000 people (with many more still waiting on housing I'm sure). Still not sure where housing / funding for 25000 more people comes from.

About ~5,000 of them will settle in Toronto. Hopefully this will actually increase the budget for affordable housing and help more Canadians out as well as Syrians.

Willectro

Banned
About ~5,000 of them will settle in Toronto. Hopefully this will actually increase the budget for affordable housing and help more Canadians out as well as Syrians.

5000 seems proportionally too many for Toronto depending on housing requirements. Sounds like anyone in TCHC housing will continue to get the shaft. TCHC needs funding to get their head above water. It would have to be a pretty significant investment.

Lexxism

I'm not familiar with the niqab issue but what's thier stance when it comes to identity? Are they against to it? Will they easily comply if needed?

SRG01

5000 seems proportionally too many for Toronto depending on housing requirements. Sounds like anyone in TCHC housing will continue to get the shaft. TCHC needs funding to get their head above water. It would have to be a pretty significant investment.

5000 for Toronto is actually quite small considering its population and economic output.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Vancouver home prices continue to soar while rest of Canada lags

and B.C. are outpacing the vast majority of Canada, with the benchmark price in Vancouver growing 8.6% higher than the national average.

The Greater Toronto region increased by 10.33% while nearby neighbour Ottawa only grew by a fraction at 0.54%

In fact, the Vancouver and Toronto markets account for 70% of the nation’s growth, according to the CREA. If those markets were removed from the national analysis, the average home price would only be $339,059, rather than the current $505,900, and would have grown only 2.5%

Trudeau please help those two cities :(

Considering that Toronto takes in at least ~80,000 immigrants every year, 5,000 is a drop in the bucket. This will also give us the well-needed funding for affordable housing that Toronto has been asking for.

Willectro

Banned
5000 for Toronto is actually quite small considering its population and economic output.

Again, not when you consider that Toronto Community housing is only able to provide housing for 60000. And a lot of that housing is crumbling (like the rest of Toronto's infrastructure). But here again, would have to understand how many of the 25000 would need accommodation or can live with family/friends until they get on their feet.

Considering that Toronto takes in at least ~80,000 immigrants every year, 5,000 is a drop in the bucket. This will also give us the well-needed funding for affordable housing that Toronto has been asking for.

Fact or hearsay?

Again, not when you consider that Toronto Community housing is only able to provide housing for 60000. And a lot of that housing is crumbling (like the rest of Toronto's infrastructure). But here again, would have to understand how many of the 25000 would need accommodation or can live with family/friends until they get on their feet.

Fact or hearsay?

$100 million for screening and resettlement http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/immigration-minister-john-mccallum-1.3310839

Also again, the number is closer to 5000 for Toronto, not 25000. The 20000 will be for the rest of the country. 5000 for Toronto is nothing, more people moved into Toronto in the past 4 weeks and I didn't see any rioting.

Pedrito

The "end of the year" deadline is unnecessary and now everyone is using it to make cheap political gains.
It's not like those 25000 refugees will disappear on January 1st. Just say you'll do your best and if it takes 3-4 months, that's fine. Somehow, I doubt the general population and, especially, the opposition, will whine about the Liberals taking too much time bringing in syrian refugees.

The "end of the year" deadline is unnecessary and now everyone is using it to make cheap political gains.
It's not like those 25000 refugees will disappear on January 1st. Just say you'll do your best and if it takes 3-4 months, that's fine. Somehow, I doubt the general population and, especially, the opposition, will whine about the Liberals taking too much time bringing in syrian refugees.

End of fiscal year would be April 2016, which I think is what he was getting at. Or at least that's what it says on Trudeametre.

IMO, they should take care of the refugee dossier slowly and properly coordinate with Provinces and cities.

You can't bring them in without having propper coordination

when Provinces say, ''hey, communication McCullum, what's up?'' you can't just airdrop 25K humans without knowing where they are going to go

I'm on side with Premier Couillard and Mayor Coderre on being ''realistic'' (yeah, I made fun of Mayor Coderre last week on the Flush-Gate, lol)

those kids, they need to be placed in schools, will the Federal help budget strapped Provinces?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I kinda feel like you can drop in an extra 0.08% national population no problem. Obviously you can't put 25,000 people in a town of 200, but that was never going to happen anyway. The refugees don't need to be distributed with great planning or care: they are already going to have some personal preferences for different major urban areas.

Expressed another way, 25,000 is 1/16th of Canadians annual net population change. So spreading the refugee admissions over a month, we're already incorporating that many new Canadians in a month. I kinda feel like our capacity can handle that

gabbo

I kinda feel like you can drop in an extra 0.08% national population no problem. Obviously you can't put 25,000 people in a town of 200, but that was never going to happen anyway. The refugees don't need to be distributed with great planning or care: they are already going to have some personal preferences for different major urban areas.

Expressed another way, 25,000 is 1/16th of Canadians annual net population change. So spreading the refugee admissions over a month, we're already incorporating that many new Canadians in a month. I kinda feel like our capacity can handle that

And aren't a lot of them family sponsors? i'ts not like we'll have people wandering the streets lost and confused.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Two? That'd make all the major leaders except May from Quebec, so I'm not really sure what the protest vote for CPC voters who don't want a Quebecer would be. At any rate the radical Conservative base in the ROC is likely to cosy up with the French/Quebec-style Conservativism from here on out, since they share similar lines of thinking about identity poltiics. I could see it working out well for them.
I forgot about Mulcair already. :p
And I guess the social Conservatism is a shared link... although I wonder if people from the west hate French people out of principle. lol

The shitty part about the increase in property values is that it just increases the tax burden for my retired parents. I almost want the bubble to burst, since I don't think my parents are interested in selling their home in their life time.

I remember doing some basic math awhile back, and there are over 338 cities in all of Canada. If we were to only put refugees in those cities, then we are only adding 74 people to each of those cities or basically a rounding point number. That's only cities too, so once you factor in towns and larger municipalities its pretty easy to see that we can more than accept the amount of refugees we are taking in.

Get them in now.

It will be further justification of the government's policies down the road when we show that the security screening process is just fine and that the fear mongering about terrorism was a stupid tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom