• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit, this is really eye-opening. I never heard of this before it was brought to my attention by a Redditor. Trudeau conspired against Quebec which is pretty much what propelled the sovereignty movement to its 1995 heights? This is so fucking outrageous I don't know what to do. The worst part is that we elected his son into office. Well, allegedly elected his son into office. If recent accusations are to be believed, the Russians conspired with the Liberals to kick the Conservatives out (guess Putin didn't like Harper's shit-talk in response to the Crimea annexation).

Jesus fuck this country is way more embroiled in corruption then I ever thought. WHAT THE FUCK?!

CazTGG

Holy shit, this is really eye-opening. I never heard of this before it was brought to my attention by a Redditor. Trudeau conspired against Quebec which is pretty much what propelled the sovereignty movement to its 1995 heights? This is so fucking outrageous I don't know what to do. The worst part is that we elected his son into office. Well, allegedly elected his son into office. If recent accusations are to be believed, the Russians conspired with the Liberals to kick the Conservatives out (guess Putin didn't like Harper's shit-talk in response to the Crimea annexation).

Jesus fuck this country is way more embroiled in corruption then I ever thought. WHAT THE FUCK?!

You took the bait.

Kyuur

The worst part is that we elected his son into office.

Disregarding the stuff that follows (and makes you look like a loon, please present some evidence if you're going to make outrageous claims): I don't understand? Why would I care about what his dad did while I was crawling around as an infant 20 years ago?

For some real discussion: What problems does Premier Couillard intend to remedy by re-opening the constitution? Everything in the linked article is incredibly vague, so I can't really form an opinion.

Vamphuntr

Couillard wants do to nothing of the sort. He's trying to distract everyone because he was once again caught for lying about Marc-Yvan Côté. Just like he lied about Arthur Porter before and the times before.

It's going to go on for a while because PKP is kind of getting his revenge in a way. He created an investigation team at the National Assembly for his TVA channel and they've been digging dirt on the liberals ever since they've been created.

Not sure how old the guys above are but La nuit des long couteaux is well known here. It's taught in school and is often referenced on TV and books.

CazTGG

Disregarding the stuff that follows (and makes you look like a loon, please present some evidence if you're going to make outrageous claims): I don't understand? Why would I care about what his dad did while I was crawling around as an infant 20 years ago?

Something something just not ready, something something conservatives continuous whining about Justin's "vacations" increasing the debt like his dad when they're the ones who added the majority of it and trashed the Chrétien/Martin surplus.

For some real discussion: What problems does Premier Couillard intend to remedy by re-opening the constitution? Everything in the linked article is incredibly vague, so I can't really form an opinion.

Well, the most obvious response is to have Quebec ratify the Charter which Levesque famously refused and declared the other Premier's actions that preceded the final version to be the "Night of the Long Knives". While i'm not against updating the Constitution since there are aspects that could be strengthened, namely the rights of women and Aboriginals, among other visible minorities, I doubt that those would be prominent in those discussions if they ever took place.

Why wouldn't you???

Because Justin is not his father.

Why wouldn't you???

Sean C

While i'm not against updating the Constitution since there are aspects that could be strengthened, namely the rights of women and Aboriginals, among other visible minorities, I doubt that those would be prominent in those discussions if they ever took place.
What improvements to the Charter would you make in respect of women. It's already pretty comprehensive on that point, I thought.

this guy is so low-effort it's kind of insulting

There are no redeeming qualities to this article at all. If you would actually read it, you'd see it's probably just some old conservative type having his say on something (it reads like a rant). Again, there are no sources and it (rightfully) got no traction. It's a lame ass article written by some nobody and published by the conservative G&M. Why would anyone take it seriously?

And screw you for your snide remark. I shouldn't have to explain everything in great detail as if I were talking to a group of toddlers.

Pedrito

There are no redeeming qualities to this article at all. If you would actually read it, you'd see it's probably just some old conservative type having his say on something (it reads like a rant). Again, there are no sources and it (rightfully) got no traction. It's a lame ass article written by some nobody and published by the conservative G&M. Why would anyone take it seriously?

And screw you for your snide remark. I shouldn't have to explain everything in great detail as if I were talking to a group of toddlers.

I'm not sure I'd go there if I were you considering you wrote a few post above that the Russians conspired with the Liberals to oust the Conservatives. This is really not what that story is about. In fact, the foreign money that supposedly influenced the election come from the people that the Russians are always accusing of trying to provoke regime changes in their sphere of influence. It seems like you're missing a few details yourself.

lacinius

• The globe and mail.
  • No sources.
  • No comments and probably no views
  • Author is some random dude who wrote a book
  • Clickbait title.
GARBAGE.

Well... the article was written back in 2011 and all of the old comments previously posted on older articles were not migrated when The Globe and Mail switched over to make use of the new "Civil Comments" service, which is why it says there are 0 comments.

CazTGG

Stones and glass houses.

Couillard wants do to nothing of the sort. He's trying to distract everyone because he was once again caught for lying about Marc-Yvan Côté. Just like he lied about Arthur Porter before and the times before.

It's going to go on for a while because PKP is kind of getting his revenge in a way. He created an investigation team at the National Assembly for his TVA channel and they've been digging dirt on the liberals ever since they've been created.

Not sure how old the guys above are but La nuit des long couteaux is well known here. It's taught in school and is often referenced on TV and books.
I abstain from voting on October 2018's Quebec election.

Count me out.

Fuck Couillard.
Fuck Legault.
Fuck Lisée.
Fuck GND & Chewbacca

I have no party that represents my mainstream Liberal Federalist ideals in this fucking province.

Re-open Constitutional talks? Fuck no.

I'm out

Abolish Provinces please

SRG01

I abstain from voting on October 2018's Quebec election.

Count me out.

Fuck Couillard.
Fuck Legault.
Fuck Lisée.
Fuck GND & Chewbacca

I have no party that represents my mainstream Liberal Federalist ideals in this fucking province.

Re-open Constitutional talks? Fuck no.

I'm out

Abolish Provinces please

Ironically, we'd need to re-open the constitution to abolish provinces, hahaha :p :)

I'd agree with you though; it would make much more sense to set up city-state administrations rather than provinces.

Sean C

I forgot to say this earlier, but with the Nova Scotia Liberals now set to stay in power until 2021, this will be the longest period the Nova Scotia Tories have been out of power since 1956, when Robert Stanfield ended a 23-year Liberal dynasty. Since then they've only been out of power 1970-1978, 1993-1999, and now 2009-2021 (at least)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
  • The globe and mail.
  • No sources.
  • No comments and probably no views
  • Author is some random dude who wrote a book
  • Clickbait title.
GARBAGE.
But an unsubstantiated conspiracy theory about Russians is what merits your attention and outrage? lol

Who do you think you're fooling with this pathetic trolling?

Dude, get over it.

Also you sound nutso with that conspiracy...if you're going to claim something, you better back it up with some references (also the Globe is considered one of Canada's most authoritative newspapers)

Moppeh

Banned

Are you the same Expansion Pack that was on the NDP subreddit that made a thread about Niki Ashton being a "SJW Feminazi"?

Cuz if so, you really need to chill out dude. Every one of your posts makes you seem like a reactionary nut job.

imBask

Banned
Well... for whatever it's worth, here you can read all about the myth of the long knives.

let's just google the authors name

2nd link
x2j2uNS.png

yep sure sounds like an objective person

I know the "long knives" story might be a little exaggerated, but it's not all garbage

Are you the same Expansion Pack that was on the NDP subreddit that made a thread about Niki Ashton being a "SJW Feminazi"?

Cuz if so, you really need to chill out dude. Every one of your posts makes you seem like a reactionary nut job.

Hey, he probably gets paid with some sweet rare Pepe's :V

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

lol

Doesn't trust a reputable newspaper but of course hangs out on Reddit and probably absorbs everything there uncritically (so long as it confirms previous biases), right?

I cannot believe someone is taking something they read on Reddit seriously but discounting a counter story posted on the Globe and Mail. Have Reddit's The Donald found the Canadian Political thread on NeoGaf and think it is ripe for "alternative news"?

Hahahaha, that's great. Like, what the actual hell is on he on about? Both this and the Ashton bit sounds like /TheDanold crossed with /KotakuInAction. Conspiracies all abroad with no fucking evidence.
But an unsubstantiated conspiracy theory about Russians is what merits your attention and outrage? lol

Who do you think you're fooling with this pathetic trolling?
He's not trying to fool anyone, I fear. He's just trolling for the sake of trolling.
But guys, the lack of a comments section in this articles prove that Justin Trudeau is ruining this country along with Yvon of the Yukon and the ghost of his father!
Wait, Yvon of the Yukon? I'd pay to watch a satire Triumvirate with Pierre Trudeau, Yvon, and John A McDonald trying to run the country from the shadows.
Well... the article was written back in 2011 and all of the old comments previously posted on older articles were not migrated when The Globe and Mail switched over to make use of the new "Civil Comments" service, which is why it says there are 0 comments.
But no Evidence!?!?
Dude, get over it.

Also you sound nutso with that conspiracy...if you're going to claim something, you better back it up with some references (also the Globe is considered one of Canada's most authoritative newspapers)
In before The Rebel link.

The G&M endorsed the Conservatives last election. Further, if you read the comments section on virtually any G&M article you would realize it's filled with rich old people whining about government, millennials, protestors, and other typical baby boomer bullshit. You don't need to be a genius to understand the content they produce will naturally be geared towards this audience because it maximizes viewership/revenues. In contast, I linked to a CBC article that talked about the Night of Long Knives in my first post. Why should I trust a right-leaning publication like the G&M over a publicly-funded and impartial publication like the CBC? I shouldn't. And recall that the G&M's biasedness was only one of the five reasons I decided to shit on the article. As far as I can tell, you guys are in denial. You just can't deal with the possibility that Quebec was treated poorly. You know, as if Canada doesn't have a terrible history with treating parts of its population very unfairly, right?.

Moving on to the Ashton stuff. That wasn't me. That guy is named ExpansionPack. My name is Expansion Pack. Different name, different people.

The G&M endorsed the Conservatives last election. Further, if you read the comments section on virtually any G&M article you would realize it's filled with rich old people whining about government, millennials, protestors, and other typical baby boomer bullshit. You don't need to be a genius to understand the content they produce will naturally be geared towards this audience because it maximizes viewership/revenues. In contast, I linked to a CBC article that talked about the Night of Long Knives in my first post. Why should I trust a right-leaning publication like the G&M over a publicly-funded and impartial publication like the CBC? I shouldn't. And recall that the G&M's biasedness was only one of the five reasons I decided to shit on the article. As far as I can tell, you guys are in denial. You just can't deal with the possibility that Quebec was treated poorly. You know, as if Canada doesn't have a terrible history with treating parts of its population very unfairly, right?.

Moving on to the Ashton stuff. That wasn't me. That guy is named ExpansionPack. My name is Expansion Pack. Different name, different people.

The articles aren't contradictory, the G&M article is clarifying on what happened. And you should stop judging an article by the comments, the comments are not the news. G&M is considered the newspaper of record and is very reputable, but this is a guest editorial so you're free to think what you want.

But overall, you're quick to dismiss the G&M article for frivolous reasons but quick to latch onto that Russia nonsense with zero proof, and now you're bringing in residential schools into this discussion as if it means anything. Do you realize why people are finding it difficult to take you seriously?

CazTGG

Nowhere in this ramble of a response did you answer why you trust some Reddit rube over a reputable organization like the Globe & Mail.

Listen up sheeple: Foreign interference did not swing the 2015 election for Trudeau. Your original claim was full of falsehoods and you've done nothing but shout conspiratorial jargon into the clouds. Either show the receipts or sit down.

Wait, Yvon of the Yukon? I'd pay to watch a satire Triumvirate with Pierre Trudeau, Yvon, and John A McDonald trying to run the country from the shadows.

Faux Flag, Eh?: Coming this fall to the CBC.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Yeah, Quebec hated P.E. Trudeau, and there is still animosity there. The history is well known. It is very well known in Quebec. They voted Liberal in overwhelming numbers last election. Don't come in here with this "omg omg, did you know what happened three-and-a-half decades ago?!" Everyone knows.

So that's the new bullshit conspiracy spin.

Since Russia helped get Trump get elected so now let's get "Russia helped Trudeau get elected" trending. Trudeau couldn't be any more anti-Putin(appointing Freeland is a big FU to Putin).

Sounds like a Louise Mensch article.

gabbo

So that's the new bullshit conspiracy spin.

Since Russia helped get Trump get elected so now let's get "Russia helped Trudeau get elected" trending. Trudeau couldn't be any more anti-Putin(appointing Freeland is a big FU to Putin).

I'm shocked that Con supporters took this long to try and smear him the same way

Yeah, Quebec hated P.E. Trudeau, and there is still animosity there. The history is well known. It is very well known in Quebec. They voted Liberal in overwhelming numbers last election. Don't come in here with this "omg omg, did you know what happened three-and-a-half decades ago?!" Everyone knows.

it's generational,
when the Baby Boomers die off, so will there Constitutional animosity

Couillard makes me miss Charest

Nowhere in this ramble of a response did you answer why you trust some Reddit rube over a reputable organization like the Globe & Mail.

Listen up sheeple: Foreign interference did not swing the 2015 election for Trudeau. Your original claim was full of falsehoods and you've done nothing but shout conspiratorial jargon into the clouds. Either show the receipts or sit down.

Faux Flag, Eh?: Coming this fall to the CBC.
Because "Lamestream Media", am I right?

Seriously, there's a league of difference between "Leans right" media and "Is complete bullshit". Globe and Mail leans rightward in the same way Mother Jones leans left, but that's not to dismiss their journalistic merit. It's not Faux News/Breitbart/The Rebel, where their leaning leaks into their writings.

I'd also watch that, sounds better then half of CBC's Comedy slate

Trudeau is the Anti-Trump in a lot of ways, which makes this idea that he's the stooge of Putin absurd. Putin is not, contrary to some thought, some 32nd Dimensional puppeteer. I'm willing to bet they weren't expecting their plan to work as well as it did in the States.

My goodness, things went off the rails here. The G&M is admittedly not great, and prone to dumb things like endorsing parties for the sake of getting rid of their leaders, but I'd trust them over some random person on Reddit any day of the week.

I read in one story that Couillard had promised in 2013 that he'd try to reopen the Constitution if elected. I couldn't help but think of Cameron promising a Brexit referendum -- it's got the same kind of "appease the party crazies" vibe, and if there are scandals it feels like as good a time as any to try and distract the base with it.

...though my understanding of Quebec politics -- obviously, as an outsider -- was that the people who cared the most deeply about constitutional slights weren't particularly likely to vote Liberal. Is that an accurate assessment? Because it seems like a really stupid ploy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom