• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
My goodness, things went off the rails here. The G&M is admittedly not great, and prone to dumb things like endorsing parties for the sake of getting rid of their leaders, but I'd trust them over some random person on Reddit any day of the week.

But why?? Like imBask pointed out, the author isn't exactly unbiased being a member of the P.E. Trudeau foundation and it's clear the G&M doesn't benefit at all from writing an article about how outrageous the constitution is (not only would their base reject it but their advertisement partners risk losing money if such an article were to aid the sovereignty movement in Quebec).

It's really looking like you guys just want to make sure Quebec "stays in its place" and are willing to back a right-leaning, biased source of info in order to achieve that. It's shameful.

EDIT:

LOL.

So you both just coincidentally have the same name, live in Quebec, don't want Singh to win, and are Nintendo fans?

We don't have the same name. ExpansionPack =/= Expansion Pack.

HsOuOzK.png

CazTGG

But why?? Like imBask pointed out, the author isn't exactly unbiased being a member of the P.E. Trudeau foundation and it's clear the G&M doesn't benefit at all from writing an article about how outrageous the constitution is (not only would their base reject it but their advertisement partners risk losing money if such an article were to aid the sovereignty movement in Quebec).

It's really looking like you guys just want to make sure Quebec "stays in its place" and are willing to back a right-leaning, biased source of info in order to achieve that. It's shameful.
3o85xFGjUBlUw4XEek.webp

Sure, and that Caz guy who rambles about Fire Emblem on YouTube is a completely different person from me.

EDIT:

First off, Bias doesn't immediately negate someone's argument. Like, if we take your argument that "Person employed at X can't be a valid source of X's flaws" we'd have to chuck out Literally half of the experts in Finance alone, because they're usually employed at Economic firms.

Secondly, the Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation literally says the following on their about page:

The About page said:
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation is an independent and non-partisan charity established in 2001 as a living memorial to the former prime minister by his family, friends, and colleagues. In 2002, with the support of the House of Commons, the Government of Canada endowed the Foundation with the Advanced Research in the Humanities and Human Sciences Fund. The Foundation also benefits from private donations. By granting doctoral scholarships, awarding fellowships, appointing mentors, and holding public events, the Foundation encourages critical reflection and action in four areas important to Canadians: human rights and dignity, responsible citizenship, Canada’s role in the world, and people and their natural environment.

Considering that, I don't think we can yell that anyone tied to it is a puppet of the Ghost of Pierre Trudeau and has bias leaking over.

As for your defense, that's flimsy. There's more then just the name, you know. Post History reveals a lot, and the defense of "There's no space so we're not the same" is flimsy when Reddit doesn't allow spaces in Usernames. Like, this is such a crappy defense.

Anyway, going from the fevered conspiracy theories of Redditors to...well, the fevered conspiracy theories of more Redditors: Bernier camp casts doubt on Conservative leadership vote

A Conservative Party whistleblower is expected to come forward on Monday with a sworn affidavit, detailing troubling questions about the results of the final vote, a member of the Bernier team told The Globe.
The Conservative Party says 141,362 voters were counted last Saturday, but the strikeout list sent to all the campaigns appear to show 133,896 votes tallied. There were 10,429 spoiled or incomplete ballots.

The Bernier camp wants to know why party director Dustin van Vugt ordered that all the ballots be destroyed immediately after the vote and why scrutineers were also not informed that there was a 7,466 vote discrepancy. Only 7,049 votes separated the two candidates on the final ballot.

Officials at Conservative Party headquarters are downplaying the seriousness of the Bernier team's allegations, noting they are coming from a losing camp in a lengthy, hard-fought campaign.

"The story is there are some people who are mad," one party official said, speaking on background. "They thought they won and they had it taken away, and they're really angry."

Yesterday the CPC was blaming "human error" for the discrepancy, and said it was because they were allowing in-person voting, but the head of Mainstreet Research (the company that did all the leadership polls) is disputing that, and said that they still haven't explained how they could be so many votes short.

Since the party destroyed all the ballots, I doubt this goes anywhere, but it'd be kind of amazing to see Scheer lose control of his party after less than two weeks at the helm. I don't think that Bernier has much support within caucus, but in the broader party, he fundraised circles around every other candidate, and they can't afford to piss off dedicated donors too much.

Anyway, going from the fevered conspiracy theories of Redditors to...well, the fevered conspiracy theories of more Redditors: Bernier camp casts doubt on Conservative leadership vote

Yesterday the CPC was blaming "human error" for the discrepancy, and said it was because they were allowing in-person voting, but the head of Mainstreet Research (the company that did all the leadership polls) is disputing that, and said that they still haven't explained how they could be so many votes short.

Since the party destroyed all the ballots, I doubt this goes anywhere, but it'd be kind of amazing to see Scheer lose control of his party after less than two weeks at the helm. I don't think that Bernier has much support within caucus, but in the broader party, he fundraised circles around every other candidate, and they can't afford to piss off dedicated donors too much.
Max should revolt and create a Libertarian party and spit from the CPC

SRG01

This was the expected result, especially when it was a 50+1 ranked ballot... :/

maharg

idspispopd
I read the links in the inflammatory post that spawned the last page or so and... I dunno, is anything in those links even actually controversial? I feel like I missed something about getting from A to B here, but also I kind of don't care. Can we just move on?

This was the expected result, especially when it was a 50+1 ranked ballot... :/

I think it was the expected result, but I can understand why the Bernier camp is taking it so poorly. Some reads of the data suggest he could've won with just a few votes going a different way, and the total number of spoiled and miscounted ballots is more than what he lost by. Couple that with an online fanbase that's prone to believing conspiracy theories, and them claiming it was rigged seems like an inevitable outcome. Again, I don't doubt that Scheer won fair and square, but as someone who dislikes the CPC, I'm not going to mind if the party gets distracted by a little infighting.

Ha, this thread got really entertaining.

My personal highlights are Pack claiming that the Russians helped the Liberals beat the Conservatives and then that the CBC is a bastion of impartiality.

imBask

Banned
I just wanted to point out that the source wasn't that great in the Globe and Mail btw, I don't wanna be associated with Expansion Pack. Please don't use my name

The Ontario Conservatives are ahead in the poll leading up the June 2018 election and there's a wave of irregularities at the candidate nominations. So much so, the leader Patrick Brown had to hire an external audit firm. Last week in Ottawa West Nepean, a candidate won by 15 votes but overall the number of votes exceeded the number of registered voters by 28.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I honestly fail to see what the RoC treating Quebec poorly in the past (which everyone who's not completely ignorant of Canadian politics has known for decades) has to do with Russian conspiracies in Trudeau's election. Like, what

The Ontario Conservatives are ahead in the poll leading up the June 2018 election and there's a wave of irregularities at the candidate nominations. So much so, the leader Patrick Brown had to hire an external audit firm. Last week in Ottawa West Nepean, a candidate won by 15 votes but overall the number of votes exceeded the number of registered voters by 28.

Man, the next Ontario election is going to be such a shit show

I honestly fail to see what the RoC treating Quebec poorly in the past (which everyone who's not completely ignorant of Canadian politics has known for decades) has to do with Russian conspiracies in Trudeau's election. Like, what
Quebec was never treated poorly by the ROC, just the opposite.

Quebec has been granted bonus privilidges and handled with kids gloves more so than any other Province or Territory.

when Premier Clyde Wells of NF, and MLA Elijah Harper of Manitoba put their foot down and said "no" to Meech Lake Accord, it wasn't out of malice or dislike of the Quebec people. It was about the dispraportionate inequality and powers granted to Quebec beyond any other Provinces and the dispraortionate "special status" of the Quebec nation over the First Nations.

“ Well I was opposed to the Meech Lake Accord because we weren't included in the Constitution. We were to recognize Quebec as a distinct society, whereas we as Aboriginal people were completely left out. We were the First Peoples here - First Nations of Canada - we were the ones that made treaties with the settlers that came from Europe. These settler people and their governments didn't recognize us as a Nation, as a government and that is why we opposed the Meech Lake Accord."
-MLA Elijah Harper

and I leave you with this Pierre Trudeau quote;
https://youtu.be/NLkJbcW33rE

I honestly fail to see what the RoC treating Quebec poorly in the past (which everyone who's not completely ignorant of Canadian politics has known for decades)

Quebec was never treated poorly by the ROC, just the opposite.

Quebec has been granted bonus privilidges and handled with kids gloves more so than any other Province or Territory.

No problem, imBask. You can stay winning with these geniuses instead.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No problem, imBask. You can stay winning with these geniuses instead.

Um, you must be new here. gutter_trash is well known to have a legit hard-on for all things Liberal Party, especially Trudeau. The Liberals could take a dump on the assembly floor and he'd find a way to defend it or downplay his obligatory criticism of it.

But gutter_trash's well known and transparent bias aside, this still doesn't prove your Russian CT nonsense right in any way.

Pat Strogran is dropping out of the NDP leadership race. The veteran said that the NDP will never form a government until the party itself is reformed and he doesn't see any possibility of reform.

I think it's the "Vote for us and we'll fight like Hell in Ottawa for you." attitude.
There sure has been a lot of inexperienced MP from that party in the last decade.

gabbo

Pat Strogran is dropping out of the NDP leadership race. The veteran said that the NDP will never form a government until the party itself is reformed and he doesn't see any possibility of reform.

I think it's the "Vote for us and we'll fight like Hell in Ottawa for you." attitude.
There sure has been a lot of inexperienced MP from that party in the last decade.

He doesn't ever really say what he means by reform, at least it's not mentioned in the CBC article I read. If he wanted to actually help the NDP/left leaning parties, he'd work to do that from within the party not throw stones from the outside

Strogan was to only real world candidate in that NDP race.

Um, you must be new here. gutter_trash is well known to have a legit hard-on for all things Liberal Party, especially Trudeau. The Liberals could take a dump on the assembly floor and he'd find a way to defend it or downplay his obligatory criticism of it.

But gutter_trash's well known and transparent bias aside, this still doesn't prove your Russian CT nonsense right in any way.
Insert Guttertrash "Fucking NDP" Image here.

But yeah, just because Gutter Trash has a raging boner for the Liberals (to the point where I recall him wanting Christie Clark to win who is much closer to the national Conservatives then the national Liberals) doesn't mean that your "Justin Pierre James Trudeau contains all the letters needed to spell Russia so he must be a Russian Stooge" is true.

Insert Guttertrash "Fucking NDP" Image here.

But yeah, just because Gutter Trash has a raging boner for the Liberals (to the point where I recall him wanting Christie Clark to win who is much closer to the national Conservatives then the national Liberals) doesn't mean that your "Justin Pierre James Trudeau contains all the letters needed to spell Russia so he must be a Russian Stooge" is true.
I never rooted for Christie Clark, that is verifiable on this thread.

Especially when i stated that the BC Liberals are just the Social Credit using the name Liberal.

I never rooted for Christie Clark, that is verifiable on this thread.

Especially when i stated that the BC Liberals are just the Social Credit using the name Liberal.
My apologies then, I thought I read it in the thread about the NDP-Green trying to form government in BC.

I do wish that there could be a way to unify the provincial party with the national, because the headaches in trying to explain it to my American Friends is not worth it. Granted, it all comes down to the regional politics, but still.

My apologies then, I thought I read it in the thread about the NDP-Green trying to form government in BC.

I do wish that there could be a way to unify the provincial party with the national, because the headaches in trying to explain it to my American Friends is not worth it. Granted, it all comes down to the regional politics, but still.

it's okay, I'm getting more jaded now at home Provincially, Federally and abroad on politics.

I'm ready to tune out.

I have been intaking way too much news in the last decade that lead me to nowhere.

I am still going to vote Federally but I'm abstaining to vote Provincially alltogether

SRG01

Am I wrong when I think it's stupid that we spent over a million dollars to find out that Shared Services Canada is an inefficient program, when I'm sure they could have just asked employees themselves and gotten the same results for "free"?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sha...ants-email-brison-harper-management-1.4143071

Every management training session out there touts "efficiencies" by merging departments and services, but rarely talks about how change management and transitions can make things worse. :(

Mr.Mike

Am I wrong when I think it's stupid that we spent over a million dollars to find out that Shared Services Canada is an inefficient program, when I'm sure they could have just asked employees themselves and gotten the same results for "free"?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sha...ants-email-brison-harper-management-1.4143071

A million isn't really that much in the grand scheme of things, and it could very well be worth it if the report proves useful in making the program better. The consultants do also seem to have relevant experience, but at the end of the day the main benefit is probably just having an outside voice to tell it like it is.

They're very eager to pin the blame on the former CPC government. Certainly they deserve a lot of it, but that sort of finger pointing isn't very productive. I'd say it's an example why paying for a report like this might be worthwhile, even if it seems a bit overpriced.

It sounds more like:

A) Canada is ready to step up on the world stage
B) Fuck Donald Trump, we're not relying on you any longer

Does it really though? I mean, how often have you heard aspects of this speech read before from various governments with it only amounting to maybe some new parts for a plane

djkimothy

It sounds more like:

A) Canada is ready to step up on the world stage
B) Fuck Donald Trump, we're not relying on you any longer

You can't step up to the world stage with current funding. It sounds more like military expansion and possibly a more active role.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Radio-Canada is offering some sort of political and moral compass on their website. It's pretty detailed. You can compare your answers to previous generations (from Millenials to the Silent Generation).

This is weird. I did this test and it predicted my age at... 53 LOL what?

It thinks I'm gen X

I think my answer on social media skewed it completely...

On the progressive -> conservative chart, I'm completely at the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom