• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still remember freaking out when Alpha Flight actually had an issue that took place in West Edmonton Mall. Oh, those crazy Marvel days of the 80s...
Oh man, I totally forgot about the West Edmonton Mall since it got attacked by terrorists because we didn't vote the conservatives back into power.

screenshot-conservative-facebook-ad.jpg

Never forget RIP

Boogie

Secondly:

That's Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown leading the ONPC delegation at Toronto Pride. It's not the first time he's done it, but it's interesting that he's making such an effort to distance himself from his socially conservative background. And it makes Andrew Scheer look pretty bad, since I'm doubtful that he took part in any Saskatchewan Pride events this weekend.

Hmm, very interesting, especially when combined with the relatively slick, "inclusive PC party" ad spots I've been seeing in the past few weeks on TV and online.

Silexx

Coyne is obnoxiously smarmy and contrarian about everything, but I don't think that whatever part he played in the appropriation prize nonsense stood out as especially bad. Pretty much everyone, on all sides of that argument, came out looking worse.

His response to Peter Mackay's retirement a few years ago was incredible. And he's occasionally capable of writing some amazing columns. I think the problem with him is that, after decades and decades of writing for public consumption, it's pretty obvious where he's going to fall on any given issue. He's eloquent, and he hasn't descended into Conrad Black-ian self-parody, but compared to someone like Chantal Hebert, who's been writing for about the same amount of time, it's clear that he's running on fumes.
I agree with a lot of this. I obviously don't necessarily align with Coyne on every issue and I do feel that he sometimes has a blind spot when it comes to race issues, but I think he still is one of the for most insightful columnists in the country (though I do think Chantal Hébert edges him out) and god damn can he bring the ether like he did with Peter Mackay.

It's going to be so weird to have Moosebridge no longer being part of CBC, because he's been so closely tied to CBC for me.

Stealth edit: It's bad I know the exact place in the shithole that is Red Deer that the conference was. Good grief, if the Cons/Wildrose somehow come back it'll just go more to shit.

CazTGG

Hmm, very interesting, especially when combined with the relatively slick, "inclusive PC party" ad spots I've been seeing in the past few weeks on TV and online.

He's laying the ground for a 2018 election that will be the PCs to lose...which they probably will, knowing Ontario's PCs.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Coyne is obnoxiously smarmy and contrarian about everything, but I don't think that whatever part he played in the appropriation prize nonsense stood out as especially bad. Pretty much everyone, on all sides of that argument, came out looking worse.

You think that an intellectually lazy 'both sides' type argument applies to an instance of openly racist smug cultural superiority? You think - honestly, please watch this video and tell me - that Jesse Wente's 'side' looks worse or as bad as Coyne's?

https://youtu.be/J_G42QVH3QM

I'm sorry but it's an absolute trash argument to say that some tweedy douchebag opinion columnist being gleefully and shamelessly racist and then putting out an 'I'm sorry that you're offended' apology is somehow 'just as bad' as an actual indigenous person talking about how badly this kind of thing hurts him and his people.

I'm not kidding, it's dishonest and lazy and indicative of deep seated racial bias to look at this argument about cultural appropriation, especially First Nations cultural appropriation, and think 'all sides are just as bad.'

Azzanadra

Coyne is a smart, witty, grumpy curmudgeon of a non-partisan conservative commentator, and I absolutely adore him for it.

If you can't appreciate him even a little bit, you are either a stiff, uncompromising ideologue/partisan yourself, who has no time for anyone with different views from your own, or you just don't have good taste in the written word.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

He's an alright sort, he went to my school and sometimes shows up at Hart House- its always interesting seeing him debate though. He argued in favor of electoral reform and against Trudeau's decision to beak that promise so he can't be all bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mlclmtckr

Banned
Coyne is a smart, witty, grumpy curmudgeon of a non-partisan conservative commentator, and I absolutely adore him for it.

If you can't appreciate him even a little bit, you are either a stiff, uncompromising ideologue/partisan yourself, who has no time for anyone with different views from your own, or you just don't have good taste in the written word.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

For me, personally, I read enough good books in school and in my own time that I don't feel the need to consume his tepid above-it-all opinions, even if he is capable of turning a nice phrase. I appreciate that his prose is good, but he's not some literary genius.

(Not really) Breaking: Canadians still really dislike Trump, and by extension, the U.S.:

A major Pew Research survey released on Monday found that just 43 per cent of Canadians hold a favourable view of the U.S., with 51 per cent holding an unfavourable view. That is a steep decline since last year, the final year of Democrat Barack Obama’s presidency, when Pew found 65 per cent of Canadians favourably disposed to the U.S. And it is lower than even the low point of the unpopular presidency of Republican George W. Bush, when 55 per cent of Canadians were favourable.
Under Obama last year, 83 per cent of Canadians had confidence in the president to do the right thing in world affairs. Under Trump this year, it is a mere 22 per cent.
Canadians dislike Trump for both his personality and his policies. Ninety-two per cent think he is arrogant, 78 per cent think he is intolerant, 72 per cent think he is dangerous, Pew found. Just 16 per cent think he is well qualified to be president. Many countries that strongly dislike Trump still believe he is a strong leader. In Mexico, for example, 77 per cent say he is strong. But Canadians differ: 38 per cent say Trump is strong, his third-lowest score of the 37 countries polled. Eighty-four per cent of Canadians oppose Trump’s proposed wall on the Mexican border. Seventy-eight per cent oppose his decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord. Sixty-four per cent oppose his proposed ban on travellers from some Muslim-majority countries.

I seriously wonder about those 22% of people who think Trump could be counted on to do the right thing, to say nothing of the 16% who think he's qualified to be president. Just...how? Why?

You think that an intellectually lazy 'both sides' type argument applies to an instance of openly racist smug cultural superiority? You think - honestly, please watch this video and tell me - that Jesse Wente's 'side' looks worse or as bad as Coyne's?

Watched it. Still think that as stupid as it was for someone to write in favour cultural appropriation in an issue devoted to indigenous writers, the resulting hysteria that painted the previously-anonymous editor of a trade publication with a circulation of approximately 2,000 as a -- as you put it -- "tweedy douchebag opinion columnist being gleefully and shamelessly racist" was also pretty overblown. If you're going to use that as a pretext for calling me an intellectually lazy racist (sorry, that I have "deep-seated racial bias"), then that tells me exactly how seriously I should take your opinion.

mlclmtckr

Banned
matthewwhatever said:
Watched it. Still think that as stupid as it was for someone to write in favour cultural appropriation in an issue devoted to indigenous writers, the resulting hysteria that painted the previously-anonymous editor of a trade publication with a circulation of approximately 2,000 as a -- as you put it -- "tweedy douchebag opinion columnist being gleefully and shamelessly racist" was also pretty overblown. If you're going to use that as a pretext for calling me an intellectually lazy racist (sorry, that I have "deep-seated racial bias"), then that tells me exactly how seriously I should take your opinion.

Oh I see, it was those outrage culture sjw PC police that you're including in 'everyone looks just as bad'. I thought you meant the actual indigenous people in the middle of the debate, but apparently they don't count as one of the sides in 'all sides.'

So, yeah, I guess in a way that's less racist? My bad.

Oh I see, it was those outrage culture sjw PC police that you're including in 'everyone looks just as bad'. I thought you meant the actual indigenous people in the middle of the debate, but apparently they don't count as one of the sides in 'all sides.'

So, yeah, I guess in a way that's less racist? My bad.

Yep, you got me nailed. I'm suuuuuper racist. Good for you.

Non, je ne me « calmerai pas le mouton »

Encore une fois, c'est nous le problème, les gens offusqués par les images de jeunes Noirs qui poussent un char transportant des Blancs. Mais ils ont fait des efforts d'inclusion! Laissez-moi vous dire quelque chose, Monsieur Laporte : peu importe vos intentions, l'énorme malaise que vous avez provoqué n'est pas moins légitime que vos « efforts de représenter la diversité québécoise ».

Il a été important pour M. Laporte et les médias de mettre l'accent sur le hasard et le contexte de la parade verte qui a mené à la scène en question. Mais qu'en est-il du contexte historique à travers lequel je navigue chaque jour en tant que Montréalaise noire?

C'est sans parler des commentaires de monsieur et madame Tout-le-monde sous la vidéo. Des dialogues qui me piquent et me confirment ma perception des conditions de vie qui me sont propres, en tant que femme noire. Or, ma couleur, dont je suis tant fière, et le poids qu'elle me fait porter quotidiennement deviennent invisibles aux yeux de mes confrères québécois blancs lorsque je manifeste mon désaccord avec les inattentions commises à mon endroit.

Killer last paragraph:

Mes deux souhaits pour les futures maladresses signées Québec sont les suivants. J'espère d'une part que les médias arrêteront d'appeler instinctivement au calme et qu'ils présentent les deux côtés d'un enjeu d'une si grande portée. Ensuite, j'aimerais que tout un chacun reconnaisse que le Québec ne serait pas ce qu'il est si les Québécois étaient restés calmes devant les insultes à leur identité. Le Québec s'est bâti grâce aux « casseurs de party », comme nous, qui n'ont jamais accepté qu'on empiète sur leur dignité.

I have a lot of francophone coworkers, and this was all they wanted to talk about at lunch. The consensus seemed to be that even if the organizers may have had the best of intentions -- yay for trying to be inclusive! -- someone, at some point, should have thought about the terrible optics of it all. Definitely a good illustration of why bringing in more diverse points of view during the planning stages is a good thing.

(Also, « calmerai pas le mouton »? I'm trying to bone up on my French, so...is that a saying? I can tell it's referring to the La Presse headline, but beyond that I'm a little confused. Sorry for the derail.)

I have a lot of francophone coworkers, and this was all they wanted to talk about at lunch. The consensus seemed to be that even if the organizers may have had the best of intentions -- yay for trying to be inclusive! -- someone, at some point, should have thought about the terrible optics of it all. Definitely a good illustration of why bringing in more diverse points of view during the planning stages is a good thing.

(Also, « calmerai pas le mouton »? I'm trying to bone up on my French, so...is that a saying? I can tell it's referring to the La Presse headline, but beyond that I'm a little confused. Sorry for the derail.)

Absolutely

« se calmer le mouton » is an expression that means "to calm (oneself) down". It can be used towards someone who is very agitated or upset. Yeah, it's a known idiom. I don't know if it's Québec-only though. I might have heard it in a French movie at some point.

Absolutely

« se calmer le mouton » is an expression that means "to calm (oneself) down". It can be used towards someone who is very agitated or upset. Yeah, it's a known idiom. I don't know if it's Québec-only though. I might have heard it in a French movie at some point.

Interesting. Thanks! The toughest part of learning (or re-learning) a new language is always the idioms and the jokes.

For all the flak Québec gets as being different from the rest of Canada, I don't think any province has stranger politics than B.C.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Yep, you got me nailed. I'm suuuuuper racist. Good for you.

I just saw Norm McDonald's new special where he talks about how you can get away with stuff by admitting it in a sarcastic voice.

I mean if you say something racist and then the racism of your statement is pointed out by someone else and your response is to first get defensive and then to get sarcastic, I don't know what to tell you?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was wondering why the CBC doesn't have a political panel show with a live audience and then I watched Question Time again and remembered that the public, whether in the UK or in Australia, are idiots. lol

Vibranium

Banned
The government has officially lost the confidence of the legislature, and Clark's heading to meet with the LG at 9 PM EST, so we'll find out sometime after that!

I'm thinking it's going to be a new election. Having a Speaker keeping the government afloat is a pretty drastic break from precedence, and it's hard to imagine that government being anything but short-lived anyway.

Hopefully the NDP can win the seat they need if we do get a new election. I just want Christy Clark gone and the Libs out.

Hopefully the NDP can win the seat they need if we do get a new election. I just want Christy Clark gone and for the Libs out.

It's going to be close. By my quick count, there were only six ridings where the Liberals and NDP were within 1,000 votes of each other, of which the Liberals won four, and the other two went NDP. The other 70+ ridings all seemed to have fairly comfortable margins for the winners, though it's quite possible that soft Green voters could abandon their party with so much at stake. You have to figure turnout will be higher this time, so it'll be a matter of who has the better GOTV machine in those six ridings, and which way those ridings have gone historically.

Are Tiktaalik or Sean C. around to give us some historical analysis?

Tiktaalik

The province is very divided between rural and urban, with the NDP not getting enough traction in rural ridings and the Liberals not getting enough in urban ridings. If there in another election (which seems fairly likely to me) I suspect voters are going to dig in and the margins of victory for most current MPs will grow. The amount of ridings in play is going to be very low.

I'd imagine voters are going to be quite a bit more strategic and they'll have the recent election results as a road map to study. I think it's quite likely that some Green voters in close ridings will vote NDP in order to try push the NDP across the line into a more comfortable position. Sam Sullivan for example in Downtown Vancouver would be at risk as he only had a 417 vote lead.

It was quite clear from the election though that a substantial amount of Green support, particularly in Metro Vancouver, most likely came from disaffected left leaning Liberals and not NDP supporters, so those votes may not necessarily move to the NDP or in fact they could go back to the Liberals. The Liberals have pivoted to a more urban friendly platform and have put ex-Vancouver Mayor Sullivan into a more prominent role, and so that could win back some disaffected urban Liberals.

The polling shows that BCians aren't really in favour of the Liberals having another run in government

In the online survey of a representative provincial sample, more than half of British Columbians (55%) would prefer to give the BC NDP and the BC Greens a chance to form a government. One-in-four (25%) would allow the BC Liberal government that was sworn in earlier this month to continue, while 15% would dissolve the Legislative Assembly and hold a new provincial election.

Tiktaalik

Speaker Steve Thompson resigned. A disappointing, but unsurprising, partisan move.

I was wondering if the extra 50k salary would entice him to stay, but I guess not!

This will make the potential future NDP government significantly more unstable.

Tiktaalik

Horgan is the new Premier of BC.

Now we get to look forward to seeing if the BC Liberals will vote against the government when the NDP present the exact same policies the Liberals just put forward in their throne speech.

(They will)

Tiktaalik

If the NDP lose their first confidence vote then we get an election. If Horgan asserts, with proof, that he has the confidence of the house he might as well have a shot.

The LG deciding for herself that he'd certainly fail and subsequently mandating a new election would seem to me to be overly meddling in the process. It's more appropriate to let the system play things out. If Horgan is unable to hold the confidence of the house then we'll get our election soon enough.

Azzanadra

If the NDP lose their first confidence vote then we get an election. If Horgan asserts, with proof, that he has the confidence of the house he might as well have a shot.

The LG deciding for herself that he'd certainly fail and subsequently mandating a new election would seem to me to be overly meddling in the process. It's more appropriate to let the system play things out. If Horgan is unable to hold the confidence of the house then we'll get our election soon enough.

If there is another election, what are the chances of the NDP winning? Would the coalition have any effect? Like how would that work at the voting booth?

Tiktaalik

If there is another election, what are the chances of the NDP winning? Would the coalition have any effect? Like how would that work at the voting booth?

I dunno it'll be interesting to see what the reaction from the public is from this. Recent polling suggested that people wanted to see a change in government and didn't want another election and that Horgan and Weaver are dramatically more popular than Clark.

It seems likely to me that most British Columbians will be relieved to have the issue settled and will be eager to tune out politics and enjoy their summer. I'm not sure people would be overjoyed to see a Liberal opposition immediately oust the new government.

I bet the NDP government will last just long enough to be around when the housing bubble finally bursts, so that they can be blamed for it and kept out of government for the next 30 years.

Federally, by convention and precedent the GG is supposed to act based on the advice received from the Governor-in-Council (which, ultimately, is the PM). Thanks to Harper's prorogation in 2008, there's arguably a precedent that the PM doesn't even need to have demonstrated (s)he has confidence of the legislature before advising the Crown (though CPCers I know argue that he'd passed the Speech from the Throne, which was enough).

Since BC is also a Westminster system -- and a Canadian Westminster system at that -- I'd argue that it'd be a much bigger break from convention if Clark had asked the LG for a new election, and the LG refused in order to give Horgan a chance.

I get what you're saying, and it makes sense, but because of the above I'm really wondering what Clark said to the LG during their meeting.

Like Tik says a few posts above, there are only a handful of ridings that could legitimately be called swing ridings. I don't think it'd be shocking to see the Green vote collapse, but at the same time...who knows? I don't think it's impossible that the next election returns exactly the same seat counts.

The LG made the right call. Give the NDP/Greens a chance, though I also think there will be an election called in within the next little while.

Read Tiktaalik's post above. It sums it up well.

maharg

idspispopd
there's arguably a precedent that the PM doesn't even need to have demonstrated (s)he has confidence of the legislature before advising the Crown (though CPCers I know argue that he'd passed the Speech from the Throne, which was enough).

I feel like this is really reaching. I think it's pretty valid to say that Harper, while he was avoiding a confidence motion, had obtained the right to govern. A lot of people were hoping for the GG to go against that basic fact, including tbh me, but it was always a long shot.

A PM who has literally just failed the first and most important confidence test though? That's a very different matter.

Tiktaalik

Federally, by convention and precedent the GG is supposed to act based on the advice received from the Governor-in-Council (which, ultimately, is the PM). Thanks to Harper's prorogation in 2008, there's arguably a precedent that the PM doesn't even need to have demonstrated (s)he has confidence of the legislature before advising the Crown (though CPCers I know argue that he'd passed the Speech from the Throne, which was enough).

Since BC is also a Westminster system -- and a Canadian Westminster system at that -- I'd argue that it'd be a much bigger break from convention if Clark had asked the LG for a new election, and the LG refused in order to give Horgan a chance.

I get what you're saying, and it makes sense, but because of the above I'm really wondering what Clark said to the LG during their meeting.

I'm not sure there is a firm convention that an LT is supposed to act on the advice of the Premier (see: Byng) but the LT is supposed to at least ask for the advice of the Premier.

Apparently Clark did request a new election from the LT and was rejected!

".@christyclarkbc did what she said she wouldn't, she asked for dissolution and an election. #bcpoli"

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/880632634526674944

This is just coming out now, so I'm sure we'll get more details soon.

lupinko

[KoRp]Jazzman;241641555 said:
Never screen yourself out beforehand especially because most of the gov't postings are pretty broad. I have been successful on nearly all of mine (mainly internal) even when I have been light on some experience areas. Just make sure you fully state how you meet the essential qualifications and let your interview/test take care of the rest.

Good luck you, I have enjoyed my 10 years with the government immensely and would recommend them to anyone.

Thanks! I sent in my English and Japanese resumes and cover letters just three minutes before the deadline today. Wish me luck!

Tiktaalik

Something that I think will be interesting to watch as well is how long until the legislature reconvenes and how much the NDP/Greens do in the meantime.

If the Liberals had won a majority it is likely the legislature would not have sat until Fall.

I suspect however that the NDP/Greens will not want to give the Liberals all summer to fundraise under the old system, so they will reconvene the legislature pretty early to pass a bill banning union and corporate donations and imposing limits on personal donations.

Tiktaalik

Clark is given a lot of flexibility because she got the Liberals elected in 2013 when no one thought it was possible.

BC Liberal discipline has been good because there has still been a reasonably good chance that the NDP/Green alliance could fall apart or that the LT would grant the Libs another election. Now the Liberals are going to be in opposition and the pressure is going to be higher.

I figure discipline will continue for a while, but if it becomes apparent that the NDP/Greens are able to successfully implement their agenda, and the new government doesn't immediately collapse, then I think the knives will come out and those from the right side of the party will rally around someone else, such as Kevin Falcon, whom she narrowly beat in the leadership race and who has been critical of her recently,

SRG01

Speaker Steve Thompson resigned. A disappointing, but unsurprising, partisan move.

I was wondering if the extra 50k salary would entice him to stay, but I guess not!

This will make the potential future NDP government significantly more unstable.

Can anyone inform me as to why this would make the government more unstable? I thought the problem was that the Speaker was a Liberal?

I thought this actually happened at the federal level years and years ago -- whereby a GG actually gave the minority party a chance instead of calling a new election?

maharg

idspispopd
Can anyone inform me as to why this would make the government more unstable? I thought the problem was that the Speaker was a Liberal?

Now an NDP or Green speaker will probably have to be elected and that'll reduce a one seat advantage to an outright tie where the speaker will by precedence vote in favour of continued discussion or the status quo.

Or no one could stand for speaker election and the legislature can't sit. That'd be fun.

I thought this actually happened at the federal level years and years ago -- whereby a GG actually gave the minority party a chance instead of calling a new election?

Yes, it has happened at the federal level (part of the king-byng affair I believe). And I'm pretty sure at the provincial level as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Now an NDP or Green speaker will probably have to be elected and that'll reduce a one seat advantage to an outright tie where the speaker will by precedence vote in favour of continued discussion or the status quo.

This is why I hate British Westminster systems sometimes. Everything is a hodgepodge of customs and traditions. Is there anything that prevents a speaker from being partisan? Other than it being similar to the "nuclear option" in the US Senate where no one wanted to use a simple majority to confirm SCOTUS appointments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom