• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So Trudeau forgot to mention AB and is getting shit for it. I wish he forgot to mention Quebec instead, just to annoy gutter. lol
Didn't he correct himself?

I hate living in this province. Everywhere I look, I see man babies. Man babies with giant trucks, who cry man baby tears all over the internet.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Didn't he correct himself?

I hate living in this province. Everywhere I look, I see man babies. Man babies with giant trucks, who cry man baby tears all over the internet.

But but but equalisation payments!!! Punishing us for oil!

While not knowing the payments are derived from federal tax revenues aka the same taxes everyone else in the country pays at the same rates

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
But but but equalisation payments!!! Punishing us for oil!

While not knowing the payments are derived from federal tax revenues aka the same taxes everyone else in the country pays at the same rates
Don't get me started on equalisation payments. I'm in a UAlberta discussions group, and this one lady kept talking about how Alberta carries the rest of the country. I tried my best to break down how equalisation worked, and in the end after everything, she finally pseudo coincides with, "I just wanted everyone to know that's Alberta is the country's top revenue earner, and we're not being thanked enough."

CazTGG

Don't get me started on equalisation payments. I'm in a UAlberta discussions group, and this one lady kept talking about how Alberta carries the rest of the country. I tried my best to break down how equalisation worked, and in the end after everything, she finally pseudo coincides with, "I just wanted everyone to know that's Alberta is the country's top revenue earner, and we're not being thanked enough."

Quebec and Ontario contribute far more to Canada's GDP, but let's not have facts get in the way of their persecution complex.

DopeyFish

Should show her how much Ontario pays

Per capita, yeah... it's true they pay more per person, but that's because there's more higher earners relative to lower earners so their general tax per person is higher.

But then again, they didn't have to pay as much for the education investment. Most of the people are being sourced from ontario and BC

Gitaroo

Im not an expert but irc every province received especially Ontario but Alberta never receiveanything. If you pay 10 bucks and get 5 dollar back thats better than the guy that paus 7 bucks consider you have like 10x the work force.

Azzanadra

What are your guys thoughts on the anti-Canada day sentiment? The Ryerson student union for example has said they won't be celebrating and would discourage the celebration of Canada 150.

Personally I think its stupid, yes we have a dark history but so does every nation and people, we should celebrate how far we have come and how diverse, peaceful and proud nation we have become since confederation.

maharg

idspispopd
Im not an expert but irc every province received especially Ontario but Alberta never receiveanything. If you pay 10 bucks and get 5 dollar back thats better than the guy that paus 7 bucks consider you have like 10x the work force.

All taxes are redistributive. That's the entire point.

And Alberta is not a monolith from a federal tax perspective. Many people in Alberta pay much more than an equal share of taxes, because many people in Alberta are incredibly wealthy.

Many people in Alberta are net receivers of federal money as well, because there are still people in Alberta who are not well off. Just not necessarily in terms of the mechanisms of equalization payments.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What are your guys thoughts on the anti-Canada day sentiment? The Ryerson student union for example has said they won't be celebrating and would discourage the celebration of Canada 150.

Personally I think its stupid, yes we have a dark history but so does every nation and people, we should celebrate how far we have come and how diverse, peaceful and proud nation we have become since confederation.
I like the idea of the Vancouver "150 plus" year celebration, acknowledging that Canada existed before British white landowners decided it existed.

The awkward stuff with the teepee that happened before the celebrations in Ottawa is just a reminder of how problematic the notion of Canada will always be to some people (and rightfully so).

SRG01

The equalization formula is based on per-capita numbers. Thus, Alberta is different because it had a distorted per-capita GDP due to past oil prices.

https://lop.parl.ca/Content/LOP/ResearchPublications/2008-20-e.htm

And to quote:

At $2,326 per capita in 2013–2014, Prince Edward Island has the highest per capita Equalization payment; per capita payments are lowest in Ontario, at $230.

Gitaroo

All taxes are redistributive. That's the entire point.

And Alberta is not a monolith from a federal tax perspective. Many people in Alberta pay much more than an equal share of taxes, because many people in Alberta are incredibly wealthy.

Many people in Alberta are net receivers of federal money as well, because there are still people in Alberta who are not well off. Just not necessarily in terms of the mechanisms of equalization payments.

I am not just talking about paying in, it's what every one else received from the federal. Someone here posted a chart before the election, yes Ontario always contribute the most but they get large amount back from the equalization payment while Alberta has never received a cent. I am no expert in this but people acted like Alberta has done nothing for the last couple of decades. I'll give the article a read when I get a chance.

maharg

idspispopd
I am not just talking about paying in, it's what every one else received from the federal.

So am I? That's what a redistributive tax is. That provinces receive the equalization payments is just an artifact of the fact that it's provinces who deliver the social services they're for. But the point of them is to make sure people in Newfoundland have the same potential for public services as people in Alberta (even if people in Alberta squander their tax revenues and don't pay into their own social services).

Someone here posted a chart before the election, yes Ontario always contribute the most but they get large amount back from the equalization payment while Alberta has never received a cent.

Because Alberta's own tax base (but not necessarily revenues, because of the Alberta government's recent-ish history of starving itself through unsustainably and unreasonably low personal and business taxes) is more than sufficient to give Albertans the public services required under deals with the federal government.

Also, the risk that Alberta will wind up losing its primary revenue source some time in the near to mid future is really high. When that happens, Alberta will almost certainly become a net receiver of equalization payments. In that sense it's insurance and advocating against it or for changing its terms to favour 'have' provinces is incredibly short sighted from the perspective of an Albertan who hopes to live there in the long term (though of course, many people who live in Alberta intend to leave some day.

equalization payments is the laziest talking point repeatedon youtube comments and talk radio.

random caller "waah aarhghhh equalziation payments!!! ""

zzzzz

I am actually enjoying the pretty lights installed by Moment Factory on the Jacques Cartier Bridge.
Talk radio morons complained about it; but I actually think it's pretty and worth every penny.

Taxes must also be used on fun stuff, you are still going to pay them anyway regardless.

jc-site-wve.jpg

lacinius

I am not just talking about paying in, it's what every one else received from the federal. Someone here posted a chart before the election, yes Ontario always contribute the most but they get large amount back from the equalization payment while Alberta has never received a cent. I am no expert in this but people acted like Alberta has done nothing for the last couple of decades. I'll give the article a read when I get a chance.

This is not correct... from 1957 to 1963 Alberta was on the receiving end of federal equalisation payments.

What's interesting is that the "equalisation payment" program only accounts for roughly 25% of federal transfers to the provinces, but it always seems to receive a disproportionate amount of attention... I wonder why? The largest programs that account for most of the federal funds sent to all the provinces are the Canadian Health Transfer and the Canada Social Transfer, and those two combined represent about 60% of federal cash payouts.

As noted earlier in the thread all of these federal funds that get transferred come from general revenues and roughly 50% of federal revenues come from direct taxes from persons... which to me seems to makes it a bit disingenuous as is sometimes suggested that have-not provinces are getting a "free ride" when half of all the money transferred comes directly from the pockets of everyone in Canada.

imBask

Banned
Yeah, illuminating the bridge and making it prettier/an attraction that attracts tourists is the real problem in this city!!!

Spending millions to re-do Papineau street near Sherbrooke every summer now that's just normal.

People need to just stop and think for a second sometimes

Mr.Mike

Somebody down my street is flying a Confederate flag. I feel like they could have at least found something more Canadian to express themselves.

CazTGG

Somebody down my street is flying a Confederate flag. I feel like they could have at least found something more Canadian to express themselves.

If they're going to be racist, at least they could be Canadian brand racist!

Sarcasm, obviously. That flag should be set on fire.

Mr.Mike

If they're going to be racist, at least they could be Canadian brand racist!

Sarcasm, obviously. That flag should be set on fire.

My thought is to add a Google Maps "place" with a picture of the flag, but I'd want to be sure I could do it anonymously.

What would the Canadian equivalent even be? A Fenian flag? Maybe a banner with Louis Riel's face on it? Though I imagine the kind of person flying a Confederate flag would be too keen on Riel.

FAKE EDIT: After a bit of googling, I learned that William Lyon Mackenzie tried to establish a Republic of Canada after the Upper Canada Rebellion failed. This was their flag, for the brief year they lived on Navy Island:

Sean C

What would the Canadian equivalent even be? A Fenian flag? Maybe a banner with Louis Riel's face on it? Though I imagine the kind of person flying a Confederate flag would be too keen on Riel.
For the sort of white nationalist appeal of the Confederacy, I think the closest equivalent would be the old Red Ensign. Not a rebel flag, but for certain types of people it represents the older, more British and white Canada.

Unfortunately for those people, it's basically just the Ontario/Manitoba flag, so it likely wouldn't provoke much reaction from most people.

Apathy

If they want to be wet blankets, let them be. It's ryerson. If they wanted to, they could have tried that 150+ idea if they really wanted to recognize indigenous cultures that were here before confederation, but they wanted to go the dumbest way possible.

Yeah, illuminating the bridge and making it prettier/an attraction that attracts tourists is the real problem in this city!!!

Spending millions to re-do Papineau street near Sherbrooke every summer now that's just normal.

People need to just stop and think for a second sometimes

ah, you are one of those who bitched about the Eiffel Tower 125 years ago

CazTGG

FAKE EDIT: After a bit of googling, I learned that William Lyon Mackenzie tried to establish a Republic of Canada after the Upper Canada Rebellion failed. This was their flag, for the brief year they lived on Navy Island:

The FLQ's flag, I suppose? Obviously, it's not 1:1 but it's the best equivalent that comes to mind.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/this-i...isrupts-mi-kmaq-ceremony-in-halifax-1.3487246

A First Nations ceremony held in downtown Halifax on Canada Day to honour missing and murdered indigenous women was interrupted by men who identified themselves as part of an alt-right organization -- and included two members of the Royal Canadian Navy.

Some in attendance said the men identified themselves as members of the “Proud Boys,” a U.S.-based ultra-conservative fraternity-like group that believes in “reinstating a spirit of Western chauvinism during an age of globalism and multiculturalism.” “This was Mi’Kmaq territory. This is now Canada. This is Halifax, Nova Scotia,” said one man who arrived holding what appeared to be a Canadian Red Ensign flag. “This is a British colony.”

“It was so frustrating,” Halifax poet laureate Rebecca Thomas, a Mi'kmaq woman and activist, told CTV Atlantic on Monday. “We’re trying to help, heal, and mourn. And here you have a group of young white men interrupting a group of indigenous women who are trying to do a ceremony. It just felt like once again we are made to feel (like) less.”

Colonize me if old.

Shoeless

What the fuck.

That was pretty much my reaction.

Also, of course, I couldn't help but notice that those guys weren't saying "Immigrants should go back to their own country," to the indigenous people. Can't imagine why...

If that story is correct and members of the navy were in attendance, those guys are probably so fired.

CazTGG

Some in attendance said the men identified themselves as members of the ”Proud Boys," a U.S.-based ultra-conservative fraternity-like group that believes in ”reinstating a spirit of Western chauvinism during an age of globalism and multiculturalism."

That's it, we're moving to a better neighbourhood. This last one is full of too many assholes who keep yelling at all the non-white people.

Mr.Mike

”Proud Boys," a U.S.-based ultra-conservative fraternity-like group

Our fascists can't even come up with their own shit. They're part of a US group that supports British colonialism.

what appeared to be a Canadian Red Ensign flag. ”This is a British colony."

Sean C. was right!

We should probably change the Ontario flag, we should've changed it before because it was garbage anyway, but we should definitely change it now if it becomes some sort of fascist symbol.

DopeyFish

More than $10 billion leaves Ontario every year when you account for all taxation and transfers.

Toronto is getting screwed by this so hard, but it wouldn't be fair to other parts of the country. Plus we NEED those other parts... even if there's not a ton of high paying jobs in those smaller provinces, they have critical parts of our overall economy.

Alberta is concentrated resources, Ontario is the center of business... but we can't just sell one thing.

Like SK, for example. Huge food resources but it's not a big money maker. But what they do is really damn important. Fisheries in the east. Dairy in quebec. Military in manitoba. They don't make the margins like we do but we need them, else supply and demand takes effect and we pay more in the end anyways. This is what gets lost in the us vs them arguments. It's hard to understand the big picture when you're just looking at the transaction history of a bank account.

lupinko

It's not good to glorify violence yes, but I don't get why people got antsy at the Canadian sniper record thing.

- Our sniper saved Iraqi military and coalition forces lives in that shot
- we should be proud of our CF and this guy was one of our elite special forces, usually Canadians make the CF the butt of everyone's jokes
- that's really outstanding at 3 miles
- we are involved in this fight against Daesh
- purity tests should really go out the window, the world isn't black and white dammit

Yeah that's fucking disgusting, not proud of those two dirtbags.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not good to glorify violence yes, but I don't get why people got antsy at the Canadian sniper record thing.

- Our sniper saved Iraqi military and coalition forces lives in that shot
- we should be proud of our CF and this guy was one of our elite special forces, usually Canadians make the CF the butt of everyone's jokes
- that's really outstanding at 3 miles
- we are involved in this fight against Daesh
- purity tests should really go out the window, the world isn't black and white dammit
...Who are you talking to? I wasn't aware of reactions about that sniper thing beyond mild pride and "wow that's a nice shot", tbh.

lupinko

...Who are you talking to? I wasn't aware of reactions about that sniper thing beyond mild pride and "wow that's a nice shot", tbh.

It was an in general post, I read articles on cbc of people attacking Trudeau about it. I'm an expat so all my Canadian news is just from the Internet.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to pick on anyone here. Lol

Mr.Mike

It was an in general post, I read articles on cbc of people attacking Trudeau about it. I'm an expat so all my Canadian news is just from the Internet.

I did post an article about Mulcair criticizing the glorification, but I don't really agree with it.

Mr.Mike

More than $10 billion leaves Ontario every year when you account for all taxation and transfers.

Toronto is getting screwed by this so hard, but it wouldn't be fair to other parts of the country. Plus we NEED those other parts... even if there's not a ton of high paying jobs in those smaller provinces, they have critical parts of our overall economy.

If Toronto could just build enough housing a lot of people from other parts of Canada would be able to move to Toronto and get higher paying jobs, paying more taxes and receiving less assistance. I don't have a Canadian paper, but as per a recent paper called Housing Constraints and Spatial Misallocation restrictive zoning laws in highly productive cities waste a lot of economic potential, and I think it's safe to assume a similar effect happens in Canada.

We quantify the amount of spatial misallocation of labor across US cities
and its aggregate costs. Misallocation arises because high productivity cities
like New York and the San Francisco Bay Area have adopted stringent re-
strictions to new housing supply, effectively limiting the number of workers
who have access to such high productivity. Using a spatial equilibrium
model and data from 220 metropolitan areas we find that these constraints
lowered aggregate US growth by more than 50% from 1964 to 2009.

Toronto isn't getting screwed, they're screwing the rest of the country. A few billion dollars in taxes to the rest of the country seems a small price to pay for what might be hundreds of billions of dollars of lost economic potential on behalf of Toronto's (+Vancouver's) NIMBYs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I think the big complaint is that shooting and killing someone should, by any definition, mean that Canadian soldiers are in combat, something that the government has refused to acknowledge.

That and the morbidity of celebrating death I suppose.
(Although admittedly I did a little cheer when I heard Thatcher had died :p)

This is a country that believed Alberta is practicing Sharia Law, so rip Canada.

We should probably change the Ontario flag, we should've changed it before because it was garbage anyway, but we should definitely change it now if it becomes some sort of fascist symbol.

Honestly, if you were to go out to the streets, show the current Ontario Flag and one of these Trillium Flags most people will think the Trillium flag is the actual Ontario Flag. Its just that well known of a symbol.

Mr.Mike

Honestly, if you were to go out to the streets, show the current Ontario Flag and one of these Trillium Flags most people will think the Trillium flag is the actual Ontario Flag. Its just that well known of a symbol.

The trillium is a good symbol. But at the moment we have three dudes in a hot tub.

My only fear with redesigning the flag is that they put that bullshit on there.

DopeyFish

If Toronto could just build enough housing a lot of people from other parts of Canada would be able to move to Toronto and get higher paying jobs, paying more taxes and receiving less assistance. I don't have a Canadian paper, but as per a recent paper called Housing Constraints and Spatial Misallocation restrictive zoning laws in highly productive cities waste a lot of economic potential, and I think it's safe to assume a similar effect happens in Canada.

Toronto isn't getting screwed, they're screwing the rest of the country. A few billion dollars in taxes to the rest of the country seems a small price to pay for what might be hundreds of billions of dollars of lost economic potential on behalf of Toronto's (+Vancouver's) NIMBYs.

Toronto is building like crazy right now, though.

They have 241 buildings over 100m tall, 134 built in the last 10 years and 208 proposed or being built... and there's a TON more likely on the way. (just a fun note... that's more buildings over 100m than the entire EU)

Most of these are residential and they're all selling out before they put a shovel in the ground. The city approval board is overloaded, the provincal municipal board is overloaded. The suburbs are building like crazy, too.

I think at one point in the last 5 years, the majority of building cranes on the planet were in Toronto. How much more can they do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom