• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

Toronto is building like crazy right now, though.

They have 241 buildings over 100m tall, 134 built in the last 10 years and 208 proposed or being built... and there's a TON more likely on the way. (just a fun note... that's more buildings over 100m than the entire EU)

Most of these are residential and they're all selling out before they put a shovel in the ground. The city approval board is overloaded, the provincal municipal board is overloaded. The suburbs are building like crazy, too.

I think at one point in the last 5 years, the majority of building cranes on the planet were in Toronto. How much more can they do?

It's true there is already a comical amount of construction going on, but it's clearly not enough. And meanwhile I've got two cousins with detached houses blocks away from subway stations.

One idea might be to build a bunch of medium-density housing. http://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ing-medium-density-housing-in-metro-vancouver

I just think it's a really, really big issue and the powers that be still don't quite appreciate how big of a deal it is. If we have to throw an even more comical amount of resources at it we should.

I'm quite fine with the idea of living in a North American Tokyo.

orochi91

Omar Khadr is getting compensated:

The Trudeau government is poised to offer an apology and a $10-million compensation package to former child soldier Omar Khadr for abuses he suffered while detained in the U.S. military prison for captured and suspected terrorists at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in 2010 that the actions of federal officials who participated in U.S. interrogations of Mr. Khadr had offended ”the most basic Canadian standards about the treatment of detained youth suspects."

The court said the action of the Canadian government had violated the former child soldier's rights under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and deprived him of fundamental principles of justice.

A federal insider said the announcement of an official apology and compensation is expected this week.

Mr. Khadr's lawyer, Dennis Edney, has been seeking a formal apology from the United States and from the Trudeau government for the alleged abuse and neglect of Mr. Khadr while he was in the prison. Attempts to reach Mr. Edney for comment on Monday were unsuccessful.

This saga is finally coming to a close.

Going forward, I hope the federal government will protect its citizens better, especially children in situations similar to Omar's.

Omar Khadr is getting compensated:

This saga is finally coming to a close.

Going forward, I hope the federal government will protect its citizens better, especially children in situations similar to Omar's.
what a cluster fuck, a terrorist going to win the lottery.

there is so much wrong with this, especially know in time.

I understand the Supreme Courty stuff and legality of a Canadian Citizen but his family was full as terrorist jerks.

His mother and sister still holds extremist views and anti-Canadian and anti-Westerns view while living in Ontario

orochi91

I understand the Supreme Courty stuff and legality of a Canadian Citizen but his family was full as terrorist jerks.

His mother and sister still holds extremist views and anti-Canadian and anti-Westerns views while living in Ontario
What some members of his family currently believe in is irrelevant, especially since he doesn't even live with them anymore.

He was brainwashed/indoctrinated into becoming a child soldier, who was then tortured at Guantanamo Bay.

The Canadian government threw him under the bus and failed to uphold his Rights as a citizen, a fact that the courts and this current administration have acknowledged, hence the payout.

Also, there is precedent for his compensation:

The apology and compensation is similar to the $10.5-million that Ottawa gave Syrian-born Canadian Maher Arar after a 2006 judicial inquiry found Canadian officials had passed on information about him to U.S. national-security authorities, leading to his torture and imprisonment in Syria.

Pedrito

Trudeau governement continues to be awful strategically. Not only will it no go down well among the general population, even those who sympathize with what Khadr went through, but the attack ads just write themselves ("Soft on terrorism Trudeau gives millions to terrorist killer while hard-working Canadians struggle blablabla")...

Give an apology but let the courts decide what's the appropriate compensation, if any.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Trudeau governement continues to be awful strategically. Not only will it no go down well among the general population, even those who sympathize with what Khadr went through, but the attack ads just write themselves ("Soft on terrorism Trudeau gives millions to terrorist killer while hard-working Canadians struggle blablabla")...

Give an apology but let the courts decide what's the appropriate compensation, if any.

I'm for this. I never liked Harper allowing Canadian citizens to be subject to extraordinary rendition or imprisionment by Americans. Canada should be the one prosecuting and incarcerating its own nationals.

I don't think wasting more money and time litigating this is going to make anybody feel better, and it's not fair to make him go to court again. I think we've taken enough time from him.

This isn't going to move the needle for anybody, this issue falls exactly along the battle lines we already have. The people who hate Trudeau will use this as an examlple, the people who like him will also use this as an example.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

His mother and sister still holds extremist views and anti-Canadian and anti-Westerns view while living in Ontario
You mean a man who was held when he was a child, in a clear violation of international laws. Take it up with Harper and Bush for treating the Geneva Convention and other treaties like the toilet paper they use to wipe their asses.

Pedrito is abosultely correct,

on optics, it looks abostuletly terrible

the best thing that the Government should do is to quietly settle without a news conference and without a stupid speech.

It's a lose for the Gov in suburbia.

What some members of his family currently believe in is irrelevant, especially since he doesn't even live with them anymore.

He was brainwashed/indoctrinated into becoming a child soldier, who was then tortured at Guantanamo Bay.

The Canadian government threw him under the bus and failed to uphold his Rights as a citizen, a fact that the courts and this current administration have acknowledged, hence the payout.

Also, there is precedent for his compensation:

how is he a child solider if he was a Canadian of an Egyptian father fighting in Afghanistan?
Afghanistan was not his country of origin, nor his father.'s.. they engaged against our NATO allies which equals treason.

Silexx

how is he a child solider if he was a Canadian of an Egyptian father fighting in Afghanistan?
Afghanistan was not his country of origin, nor his father.'s.. they engaged against our NATO allies which equals treason.

The definition of 'child soldier' has nothing to do with nationality.

I straight up refuse to believe you can't figure this out on your own.

his mother was complicit with the father and she was interviewed on camera on PBS's Frontline saying hateful stuff

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/khadr/interviews/mahazaynab.html

interview with the mother and sister

Maha, your son Omar, who is in Guantanamo, is accused of killing an American soldier by rolling a grenade out and killing an American medic. If that is true, are you proud of him for doing that?

MAHA: Of course. He defended himself. …

ZAYNAB: If you were in that situation what would you have done? I'd like to ask everybody that.

MAHA: I hope you don't say I would bow down, say, "No, no, no."

ZAYNAB: Hold your hands in the air, "Don't shoot." …

MAHA: Wouldn't you like your Canadian son to be so brave to stand up and fight for his right?

ZAYNAB: He'd been bombarded for four hours. Three of his friends who were with him had been killed. He was the only sole survivor. What do you expect him to do?

I'd like to know what they expected him to do, come up with his hands in the air? I mean it's a war. They're shooting at him. Why can't he shoot at you? If you killed three why can't he kill one? Why does nobody say you killed three of his friends? Why does everybody say you killed an American soldier. Big deal.

The FLQ's flag, I suppose? Obviously, it's not 1:1 but it's the best equivalent that comes to mind.

How can the FLQ have had such a terrible flag? They came up with a manifesto that actually looked ominous:

blackoct2-o.jpg

To go from that to such an abominably ugly flag is sad.

I mean, their goals and their means were obviously terrible. But that doesn't excuse bland flag design.

We should probably change the Ontario flag, we should've changed it before because it was garbage anyway, but we should definitely change it now if it becomes some sort of fascist symbol.

Right now this is the official Ontario flag:

(Honestly, I thought that we'd already put a trillium on a flag, but it turns out I was thinking of the Franco-ontarien flag.)

I wouldn't want to change it because a couple of inbred, racist hicks were trying to co-opt it, but seeing as the current flag doesn't at all reflect modern-day Ontario, I'd be all in favour of changing it to something less...colonial (in every respect of the word).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow, I forgot all about how we fucked over Arar.

I say this is fair play, given that Khadr should have been repatriated ages ago, even before we think about state sanctioned torture against a child and a Canadian citizen.

CazTGG

I remember writing about Omar Khadr for a project about human rights in high school, specifically with how Harper and his government was so apathetic towards the torture Khadr suffered in Guantanamo. Never in my life did I expect to hear about any reparations for our government's neglect with regards to his suffering in Guantanamo Bay, to say nothing of the trial itself.

This is the kind of rhetoric i'd expect to hear from the Tories...and by that, I mean I this is exactly along the lines of what Jason Kenney remarked with in regards to this compensation.

Wow, I forgot all about how we fucked over Arar.

I say this is fair play, given that Khadr should have been repatriated ages ago, even before we think about state sanctioned torture against a child and a Canadian citizen.

Seriously. If I'm remembering correctly, wasn't Canada the only country in the world that didn't repatriate its citizens from Gitmo? I get that they didn't want to deal with the optics of bringing an alleged terrorist onto Canadian soil, but he was, as you note, a child and a Canadian citizen. Canada failed him for years, so compensating him for his suffering seems pretty fair.

On a completely different topic: yesterday was the final day for contestants to register for the NDP leadership race. No one new registered, which means that the next NDP leader will be one of:

Niki Ashton
Charlie Angus
Jagmeet Singh
Peter Julian
Guy Caron

I still think Singh has to be considered the favourite, but it feels like he's been kind of a dud as a candidate.

Moppeh

Banned
On a completely different topic: yesterday was the final day for contestants to register for the NDP leadership race. No one new registered, which means that the next NDP leader will be one of:

Niki Ashton
Charlie Angus
Jagmeet Singh
Peter Julian
Guy Caron

I still think Singh has to be considered the favourite, but it feels like he's been kind of a dud as a candidate.

It will be interesting to see what happens. In the most recent polling, Angus has a bit of a lead over Singh but it seems like Singh is still trying to find his footing in the race.

Mr.Mike

Should Canada join the European Single Market?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/werner...may-welcome-canada-with-open-arms_a_22882782/

Norway and Switzerland have been doing it successfully, and Britain, too, may join them if the outcome of current Brexit negotiations is a "soft Brexit": being a member of the European Single Market, which entails recognizing the free movement of people, goods, services and capital, but without becoming a full member of the European Union.

If Canada were to join the Single Market, we would instantly become part of a massive market with a population greater than that of the United States. There would be no need for Canada to adopt the euro currency, but Canadians could trade with as well as live and work freely in any member-state of the Single Market -- and vice versa, of course.

S-Wind

If you are going to be mad about him getting money then direct your anger towards Harper and his ilk for throwing him under the bus and abandoning him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Should Canada join the European Single Market?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/werner-...ms_a_22882782/
Yes please. Makes more sense than that Turks and Caicos plan. :p

Seriously. If I'm remembering correctly, wasn't Canada the only country in the world that didn't repatriate its citizens from Gitmo? I get that they didn't want to deal with the optics of bringing an alleged terrorist onto Canadian soil, but he was, as you note, a child and a Canadian citizen. Canada failed him for years, so compensating him for his suffering seems pretty fair.
Yeah, he was the last western citizen repatriated, and Harper only did it under protest.

Niki Ashton
Charlie Angus
Jagmeet Singh
Peter Julian
Guy Caron

I'm hoping the debates get more interesting, because the last two or three I've seen have been so milquetoast.

Sean C

We'd have to follow all their Made-in-Brussels rules and regulations even though we don't do enough trade with them to warrant it.
Yeah, if we were closer to the EU geographically I think it would be a good idea, but I'm not sure this degree of regulatory harmonization would be justified by any potential market increases.

I think a freedom of movement agreement would be a great idea, though, if it could be achieved on its own.

If you are going to be mad about him getting money then direct your anger towards Harper and his ilk for throwing him under the bus and abandoning him.
this post makes no sense because he was captured in 2002.

if anyone that should be blamed, blame Omar's father

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That would be really dumb, no point in joining the EU single market without first fixing the problems we can fix ourselves.

Vibranium

Banned
It will be interesting to see what happens. In the most recent polling, Angus has a bit of a lead over Singh but it seems like Singh is still trying to find his footing in the race.

I wouldn't mind Angus as leader, I will be rooting for him I guess. I should probably get around to signing up for membership to vote as well.

Ondore

Would joining the common market mean Robellus would have to shape up their pricing (especially on mobile phones)? If so, let's do this.

this post makes no sense because he was captured in 2002.

if anyone that should be blamed, blame Omar's father

Khadr was captured -- again, as a child soldier -- in 2002. He wasn't brought back to Canada until 2012. So sure, blame his father for bringing the family there in the first place, but Harper allowed a Canadian citizen to rot in a prison with documented cases of prisoner abuses for 6 years, well after the rest of the world had caught on, with the U.S. practically begging us to take him off their hands. If you're going to argue that Canada shouldn't be party to international conventions on children in armed conflict (to say nothing of our general approach to rehabilitating minors, rather than trying them as adults), go ahead, but recognize that that's a pretty messed up position to take.

I don't think you can trust any polling of the NDP race. The most I've seen is that they poll self-identified "NDP supporters", which doesn't tell you much, since only paid members can vote. It's a one-member, one vote system, so it's easier to game out than the CPC race was, but absent polls of just members, it's hard to tell where the race is going.

That said, we can see fundraising numbers and those would seem to indicate that Angus has a huge lead, since he raised almost as much as everyone else put together during the first quarter of the year. The second quarter just ended, and unlike the first quarter, these numbers will include Singh's totals. If neither he nor Ashton/Julian/Caron have cut into Angus' advantage now, it's going to be really hard for them to win 90 days from now.

Yeah I'd want that, then I wouldn't need to go get my Spaniard Passport.

you don't necessary need a Spanish Passport, it's cheaper and easier to get the Citizen ID Card

dni.jpg

----

I got my Portuguese one
Cart%C3%A3o_de_Cidad%C3%A3o_Portugu%C3%AAs.jpg

Fly out of Canada with a Canadian Passport but then avoid the international line up when I arrive in Europe using the ID Card there.

Quicker entry

the consulates here in Montreal or Toronto would be really happy to get one for you

Mr.Mike

Yeah, if we were closer to the EU geographically I think it would be a good idea, but I'm not sure this degree of regulatory harmonization would be justified by any potential market increases.

I think a freedom of movement agreement would be a great idea, though, if it could be achieved on its own.

If a lot of our economy is services, and services continue to grow to be a larger part of the economy then physical distance isn't too much of a trade barrier. Geography might also be one of our strengths in such a relationship. I'd imagine we'd see a lot more Europeans buying/renting cottages here and stuff like that.

And then in exchange for our services, cottages and kayaks we could get decent cheese and no roaming charges in Canada and most of Europe.

I don't really see the downside to regulatory harmonization? Ideally we'd harmonize regulations worldwide but we'd want to make sure they're good regulations. If we were letting the US make our regulations I'd be concerned, but I trust the Europeans on this front.

Khadr was captured -- again, as a child soldier -- in 2002. He wasn't brought back to Canada until 2012. So sure, blame his father for bringing the family there in the first place, but Harper allowed a Canadian citizen to rot in a prison with documented cases of prisoner abuses for 6 years, well after the rest of the world had caught on, with the U.S. practically begging us to take him off their hands. If you're going to argue that Canada shouldn't be party to international conventions on children in armed conflict (to say nothing of our general approach to rehabilitating minors, rather than trying them as adults), go ahead, but recognize that that's a pretty messed up position to take.
giphy.gif

orochi91

Well said.

Thankfully, the SCC agrees and Omar is finally being compensated.

I don't really see the downside to regulatory harmonization? Ideally we'd harmonize regulations worldwide but we'd want to make sure they're good regulations. If we were letting the US make our regulations I'd be concerned, but I trust the Europeans on this front.

Well, most of our exports are destined for the US, and they already have a much more competitive regulatory regime than we do. My main concern is that regulations and laws will be set that are more in tune with the economic realities on the European continent rather than North America.

mlclmtckr

Banned

yeah i know right all he had to do was get indoctrinated by his terrorist father as a child and brought to a warzone and then captured and thrown in a hole in an american torture prison shithole for the remainder of his childhood while right wing politicians used him as a scapegoat and a prop and then he finally got out and is getting money

i mean seriously where do i sign up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom