• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom still using in-house engine (Panta Rhei?) for next-gen

Xpliskin

Update:

Some footage of Deep Down:
Capcom released a "Company presentation 2016" video on January 19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fut2TpaUcJY

Skip to the 5:44 mark.

They show some footage of Deep Down being worked on (and also Monster Hunter)
No way to tell the date of the footage, but it's at most as old as 2014.

It appears the "Panta Rhei" name has been dropped, as the video refers to it as "New engine".

Original post:

With the big news supposedly dropping next month ( http://www.capcom.co.jp/biohazard20th/en/ ) ,

Capcom has started a new recruitment campaign prepared for effects designers:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/recruit/mid-career/cs-career/vfx/side_capcom.html#contents

"基本社内エンジンに内包された専用のエフェクトツールを使用します。"
Roughly translates to :
"Using dedicated tools included in our in-house engine"

They are hiring R&D engineers to upgrade and maintain their own engine
http://www.capcom.co.jp/recruit/mid-career/cs-career/vfx/side_capcom.html

This is a small clip showcasing some demos of what's already possible with the vfx tools of this framework:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/recruit/mid-career/cs-career/vfx/data/7.mp4

I still have faith.

2430404-3729539862-iWUhy.gif

Glass Rebel

MT Framework was such a great engine for the types of games they made last gen, it really is a shame that they can't get Panta Rhei off the ground.

entremet

Seems like a waste of money from the infamous penny pinchers at Capcom.

UE4 seems like a better option.

Zophar

Phanta Rei seems like a mess but it also feels a generation ahead of some of the middleware toolsets we have now. Might be necessary for Capcom to stick with it to take them through the 9th gen, too, especially since they're so late to the party.

Jawmuncher

Resident Evil 7 on Phanta Rhei would be interesting. Not to mention a good show for their new engine since it's their biggest IP.
Still their in-house engine has to be very different from the stuff shown with Deep Down.

Also Deep Down is hanging out with Dino Crisis.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Monster Hunter 5 using Panta Rhei for all current platforms - do it Capcom.

If they are, it's going through development hell. They've been MIA with a mainline Resident Evil and Devil May Cry (they've mentioned they have plans for it), Street Fighter V was funded by Sony and used Unreal Engine 4, Deep Down has been MIA for over a year now after being delayed twice over the year before that, Resident Evil Revelations 2 used a modified form of MT Frameworks, and everything else has been mobile/handheld.

Astral Dog

If it's Panta Rhei, I hope it comes out to be a worthy successor to MT Framework.

It already does not seem like it will, considering all the development troubles while Framework was smooth and clean since day one and was just upgraded frequently, right now we dont even know what the hell is happening with Phanta Rei

DedValve

Banned
Monster Hunter 5 using Panta Rhei for all current platforms - do it Capcom.

Stop this. You know its never happening. Stop filling my head with lies that can never come true!

How did Capcom knock it out of the park with MT Framework? Given how radically different the console, pc and handheld space was at the time, it being the first HD generation and development costs rising through the roofs on top of engines being hard as shit to build in general it astonishes me that they went from the developer that hit the hardest with a multitude of games to now only releasing a handful of them that aren't remasters.

Especially now that the "twins" are actually more like twins with PS4/Xb1 being near identical and also very similar to a PC with the only outlier being mobile OS's and Nintendo.

Tizoc

Deep Down was a tech demo and no more
It is being repurposed as Dragon's Dogma 2/successor.
That or MonHun for NX and PS4 and Steam

t26

If they are, it's going through development hell. They've been MIA with a mainline Resident Evil and Devil May Cry (they've mentioned they have plans for it), Street Fighter V was funded by Sony and used Unreal Engine 4, Deep Down has been MIA for over a year now after being delayed twice over the year before that, Resident Evil Revelations 2 used a modified form of MT Frameworks, and everything else has been mobile/handheld.

and Umbrella Corps is using Unity, so yea it is a weird choice.

Ein Bear

MT Framework was the single best engine of last-gen. It's a crying shame they haven't been able to follow it up properly.

Unknown?

Resident Evil 7 on Phanta Rhei would be interesting. Not to mention a good show for their new engine since it's their biggest IP.
Still their in-house engine has to be very different from the stuff shown with Deep Down.

Also Deep Down is hanging out with Dino Crisis.
Wouldn't that make RE7 a PS4 exclusive? Phanta Rhei is co-developed between Capcom and Sony Japan, if I remember correctly.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It'd probably be NX Platform-only (if the NX Handheld can even handle Panta Rhei). Nintendo helping advertise in the West is quite the sweet deal.
NX (and handheld) will likely support all mayor engines - Capcom will make it work especially if they wann keep making money on Nintendo handheld. They got MT Framework running on 3DS in a dumped down form - so Panta Rhei Mobile isnt too far fetched.
You'll get MH5 for the NXPortable with same engine and models as past MH, and you'll like it.
Heh - i can be pessimistic as well but there is no way MH5 will look like the 3DS games. At least technology wise there will be a big jump this time.

Shin-Ra

I think PS4 could handle this easily
at 10 FPS
Variable upto-60 uncapped framerate at the time.

Pretty featureless room with a bit of volumetric lighting, five high quality characters and plenty of GPU performance to spare for physics.

If they rendered the flames/smoke/dirt differently, using stochastic transparency and TAA, they could've avoided the obvious low-res transparency artefacts.

Just pull the plug on it & use UE4.

Most Japanese 3rd party publishers are using it for their games nowadays because it costs a lot of money to develop for their own engines & that using their own engines probably takes a lot of time for a game to release.

Neff

Why didn't they continue with MT Framework?

Capcom have a specific mandate of features they require from a graphic engine for this gen, and MT, good as it is, comes up short on that list. There was even a sense that Capcom wanted to leave MT behind last gen, IIRC staff were frustrated by the limitations of MT when they were making RE6.

Similarly, there are features that Capcom wants from a current gen engine which Panta Rhei is so far failing to provide, hence its absence to date. Whatever they end up settling on, it should be pretty impressive.

Just pull the plug on it & use UE4.

MT worked out very well for them last gen. Whether it's to retain a unique look, or because they think they can do better than everyone else, or because they simply think it's a better idea to spend money creating something they'll own and can utilise more efficiently, Capcom will probably insist on using its own engine for in-house major releases going forward.

Spacejaws

My heart is telling me that it hasn't been seen for so long because they re purposed it as a single player $60 retail game. My mind doesn't want to give in to hope.

We can all pray together. Did you know the Last Guardian isn't dead, Shenmue and Psychonauts are getting sequels, Dragons Dogma had a good PC port and Final Fantasy VII is being remade?

This is the generation Preyers get answered.

David___

Banned
Wouldn't that make RE7 a PS4 exclusive? Phanta Rhei is co-developed between Capcom and Sony Japan, if I remember correctly.

Doubt it. Panta Rhei is still Capcoms engine. If anything they are probably helping them to optimize it for the PS4 and it leaving it to Capcom to get it working on other platforms.

iavi

God damn. Incredible. (it's not PS4, right ?).

That's definitely not PS4

Capcoms got to be at a point where it'd hurt to cut their losses on panta rhei, otherwise it doesn't seem to offer anything over UE4.

Same thing with Squeenix and Luminous. Too far gone with FFXV, but everything else using UE4 tells us all we need to know.

Jabba

Banned
Never did give up hope TBH. RE7 will look insane.

I'm going to go on record with you here. Seriously, I'm not giving up on Panta Rhei or future capcom titles that may use it.

I guess the real concern is how good will the engine be?

That's definitely not PS4

Capcoms got to be at a point where it'd hurt to cut their losses on panta rhei, otherwise it doesn't seem to offer anything over UE4.

Same thing with Squeenix and Luminous. Too far gone with FFXV, but everything else using UE4 tells us all we need to know.

I'm pretty sure this is PS4. There was also a pretty big debacle since the demo was running at 720p and 60 fps.

I think it's possible by today standards, Infamous Second Son also had very good special attacks with lots of particles and lighting.

Top Bottom