• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom still using in-house engine (Panta Rhei?) for next-gen

Shin-Ra

Capcom have a specific mandate of features they require from a graphic engine for this gen, and MT, good as it is, comes up short on that list. There was even a sense that Capcom wanted to leave MT behind last gen, IIRC staff were frustrated by the limitations of MT when they were making RE6.

Similarly, there are features that Capcom wants from a current gen engine which Panta Rhei is so far failing to provide, hence its absence to date. Whatever they end up settling on, it should be pretty impressive.

MT worked out very well for them last gen. Whether it's to retain a unique look, or because they think they can do better than everyone else, or because they simply think it's a better idea to spend money creating something they'll own and can utilise more efficiently, Capcom will probably insist on using its own engine for in-house major releases going forward.
Texture streaming seemed pretty weaksauce in RE6, I only played the demo though.

TreIII

Whatever it is, let's just see RE7, already.

It likely will be the best indicator of what we can expect, anyway...

JordanN

Banned
MT worked out very well for them last gen. Whether it's to retain a unique look, or because they think they can do better than everyone else, or because they simply think it's a better idea to spend money creating something they'll own and can utilise more efficiently, Capcom will probably insist on using its own engine for in-house major releases going forward.

What kind of look are they after? Realism? Cartoon? None of those are restricted by an engine.

Example: Someone recreated Wind Waker in UE4 including both the Gamecube and Wii U's style.
EFvBcxj.jpg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Probably running on a PC and not a actual PS4

You don't think PS4 could handle those kinds of debris effects?

All we know is that the original tech demo was on PC, what they showed off after that didn't seem like PC footage

Neff

What kind of look are they after? Realism? Cartoon? None of those are restricted by an engine.

Example: Someone recreated Wind Waker in UE4 including both the Gamecube and Wii U's style.
EFvBcxj.jpg

Like I said, neither MT nor Panta Rhei offer Capcom a complete package of what they're looking for, so I'm guessing none of the other engines out there do either. It really comes down to what they want to put on screen, and how practical it will be to do it. Capcom set their sights high last gen, which is why they developed MT rather than using a proprietary engine. No game quite looks like a MT Framework game as a result. From 2013

I often encourage my team members to make improvements to [Panta Rhei] because it's still in the development stages. Some of the things we used to be able to do are no longer possible with the new engine, though we are able to do things that were impossible in the past. More time is needed until we have a new engine we're happy with.

Since they haven't used the engine in a commercial game yet, I'm guessing that they'll either continue to develop and improve Panta Rhei, or will (or already have done) develop a new engine from scratch.

I still have faith.

2430404-3729539862-iWUhy.gif

PS4 could probably do that. The gif is making it look better than it likely is because it's a) small, and b) is hiding the engine's tell-tale limitations through compression. I remember Bloodborne gifs of post-release streams looking more impressive than the actual game does on a big TV, because my mind was filling in the gaps lost in translation.

Xpliskin

Apparently, Deep Down is still in development:

Capcom released a "Company presentation 2016" video on January 19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fut2TpaUcJY

Skip to the 5:44 mark.

They show some footage of Deep Down being worked on (and also Monster Hunter)

No way to tell the date of the footage, but it's at most as old as 2014.

It appears the "Panta Rhei" name has been dropped, as the video refers to it as "New engine".

RexNovis

Banned
KNowing Capcom they probably took the "panty raid" pun way too seriously and decided to change the name because its

40044616.jpg

super serial guyz

Astral Dog

EFvBcxj.jpg

wow, those are pretty good, last gen UE3 recieved many complains about its games looking samey, and specially not runing at good framerates. i suppose character models were more unique based on other engines too.

wich does not seem to be the case on UE 4 obviously

Moronwind

Banned
The fluid simulation used to create the awesome fire effects seen in Deep Down seemed almost like the selling point for Panta Rhei, could UE4 handle that?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Like I said, neither MT nor Panta Rhei offer Capcom a complete package of what they're looking for, so I'm guessing none of the other engines out there do either. It really comes down to what they want to put on screen, and how practical it will be to do it. Capcom set their sights high last gen, which is why they developed MT rather than using a proprietary engine. No game quite looks like a MT Framework game as a result. From 2013.
They'd most likely be able to do everything they wanted with Panta Rhei by modifying UE4 to suit their needs, without the pitfalls of a in-house engine. UE4 is much more efficient for avoiding samey looks than UE3. I also don't believe PS4 could feasibly handle these effects at 1080/60fps which iirc was the original performance target. Capcom is really struggling this gen so they need all the help they can get truth be told.

Apparently, Deep Down is still in development:

Capcom released a "Company presentation 2016" video on January 19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fut2TpaUcJY

Skip to the 5:44 mark.

They show some footage of Deep Down being worked on (and also Monster Hunter)

No way to tell the date of the footage, but it's at most as old as 2014.

It appears the "Panta Rhei" name has been dropped, as the video refers to it as "New engine".
S0Y8mbn.jpg

The things I would do to be able to play MH4U on PC.

wow, those are pretty good, last gen UE3 recieved many complains about its games looking samey, and specially not runing at good framerates. i suppose character models were more unique based on other engines too.

Epic completely overhauled the lighting engine for UE4, especially with Physically Based Materials/ Rendering. UE3 could probably be modified to get simaler results, but it wouldn't be worth it to put in all the time and effort. There are quite a few cell shaded games for UE3.

Guilty Gear Xrd uses UE3:

So does the Kings Quest episodes:

Though King's Quest does look more like a UE3 game than Guilty Gear Xrd does.

koutoru

Yeah, I know what you mean by the UE3 look that a lot of games had, although it's not like UE3 was incapable of creating unique looking games.

It's when a lot of them go for a realistic art direction on UE3 that a lot of them end up looking similar.

Kaleinc

Banned
Anything but unreal engine, I've had enough of that crap in previous gen. UE4 is a slightly evolved version, more of the same.

jwhit28

It felt like Capcom was one of the few Western publishers that "got it" last gen and were able to get a lot of games on to 360 with MT Framework really fast as it was taking off. sad to see the opposite this gen.

artsi

Are there any well performing open world UE4 games yet? I've just played ARK so far, and my 4790K + 980 Ti can achieve barely 30fps.

Until I've seen one that both performs well and looks good I refuse to jump on the "everyone should use UE4" bandwagon.

If they dropped the "Panta Rhei" name then it's probably a different engine right now. I wonder if it's a completely fresh start, a new fork or if they decided to build on the strengths of MT Framework...

dan2026

Capcom as a company feel like they are in such a mess at the moment.
Part of me is half surprised they havent followed Konami out of the industry.

Alo0oy

Banned
I don't know why people keep repeating that it's not on PS4, the game was playable on a PS4 devkit on TGS a couple of years ago.

gogogow

I didn't expect Capcom of all Japanese companies to have so much trouble to release a new engine. They were the first JP software house to release an excellent inhouse engine last gen and made many excellent looking games with it. Their output for the 8th gen consoles up till now seems really underwhelming. XBO launch had Dead Rising 3 back in 2013 and tomorrow SFV in 2016. Correct me if i'm wrong, but everything in between were remasters and console to pc ports.

Parsnip

Are there any well performing open world UE4 games yet? I've just played ARK so far, and my 4790K + 980 Ti can achieve barely 30fps.

Until I've seen one that both performs well and looks good I refuse to jump on the "everyone should use UE4" bandwagon.

For an unfinished game, that doesn't sound too bad.

Top Bottom