• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Senate rejects full Obamacare repeal without replacement

Shauni

Opposition to the ACA is driven by conservative voters' sense of grievance more than their understanding of any particular policy. Thus, repealing the ACA will be popular even if it harms these voters. It's not an unreasonable theory.

It's a bullshit theory because the ACA is more popular than ever among both sides of the isle and any bill that's been brought up has had abysmal approval ratings. Some of you guys really have no idea what you're talking about

PopeReal

It's a bullshit theory because the ACA is more popular than ever among both sides of the isle and any bill that's been brought up has had abysmal approval ratings. Some of you guys really have no idea what you're talking about

They will still vote Republican. They can't help themselves.

ultron87

They'll probably just pass skinny repeal to get it to a conference which they say will totally fix it, just like the Senate was supposed to fix the House bill. None of them want to be the one that actually kills it dead so they'll inevitably pass the buck as many times as possible.

Zolo

They'll probably just pass skinny repeal to get it to a conference which they say will totally fix it, just like the Senate was supposed to fix the House bill. None of them want to be the one that actually kills it dead so they'll inevitably pass the buck as many times as possible.

I do admit I'll laugh if the House kills it after Ryan talked about how the House did its part.

btrboyev

We knew this was going to be the outcome. They will be voting to make small amendments thats strip parts of the ACA that eventually will lead to Americans losing it.

Keasar

The vote was 45-55, with seven Republicans opposing the measure.

Let that sink in.

7 out of all the Republicans in the room.

Only 7 thought this was a bad thing. The rest was more than ready to toss Health insurance in the bin and not give anything else to everyone in the US. in the meantime while they would spend the next year or two trying to come up with a replacement.

ONLY 7(!) FUCKING REPUBLICANS GOT TO THEIR SENSES!

Out of curiosity, how many Democrats voted for it?

Let that sink in.

Only 7 thought this was a bad thing. The rest was more than ready to toss Health insurance in the bin and not give anything else to everyone in the US. in the meantime while they would spend the next year or two trying to come up with a replacement.

What's with this post? The GOP base still wants the law repealed, regardless of what's in the replacement. McConnell is responding to that. It may or may not work, but that's the idea. Spare me your vitriol.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The second the skinny is passed by both houses and becomes law the market is effectively dead.

Insurers will run for the hills.

It is the death of the marketplace. No insurer can cover pre-existing conditions with no penalty for not owning insurance.

My guess is the skinny repeal is a gun to the head of Dems to force them to work with Rs on replacing.

StoOgE

What's with this post? The GOP base still wants the law repealed, regardless of what's in the replacement. McConnell is responding to that. It may or may not work, but that's the idea. Spare me your vitriol.

The problem for McConnell is thus:

1) Republicans want Obamacare gone
2) Republicans don't want the replacement.

Republican voters can poll at repealing Obamacare as much as they want, when their replacement polls at 11-16% approval they are just picking a different sword to die on.

Republican voters can poll at repealing Obamacare as much as they want, when their replacement polls at 11-16% approval they are just picking a different sword to die on.

Yup. ACA is their ideal healthcare plan. But it's already implemented- by a person they hate with all their being. The only way to replace it with something more popular is to add in a public option or go to a single payer type system. And no GOP person would be caught dead voting for a plan that would guarantee that type of coverage for citizens.

Thus the difficulty they have been having now that they actually got power. People want to see improvements over ACA, not any plan just because it isn't ACA.

Oh I totally agree with you - I'm just not sure where this nastiness --

Some of you guys really have no idea what you're talking about
-- is coming from. They want theater; McConnell is giving them theater. That's the answer I was giving.

slit

The second the skinny is passed by both houses and becomes law the market is effectively dead.

Insurers will run for the hills.

Run where in the hills? They still have to cover people with pre existing conditions whether they get it from an ACA market or not.

Aurongel

How bad would that be?
It would strip the individual mandate which will cause a full Obamacare death spiral. While both Dems and Repubs dislike the individual mandate, axing it without replacement means this administration will effectively own any fallout because of this. It's a bad look for them going into the midterms which is why this is their plan C.

StoOgE

Run where in the hills? They still have to cover people with pre existing conditions whether they get it from an ACA market or not.

They are not required by law to offer individual insurance. They can simply offer group plans in various states.

It will be worse than before Obamacare because I likely won't even be able to get *any* coverage being a small business owner.

slit

They are not required by law to offer individual insurance. They can simply offer group plans in various states.

It will be worse than before Obamacare because I likely won't even be able to get *any* coverage being a small business owner.

I know, what I'm saying is the insurers are still screwed since their pools will be much sicker. I'm not saying this doesn't screw individuals or business owners. I don't know how bad it will ultimately hurt insurers but it will hurt them.

I know, what I'm saying is the insurers are still screwed since their pools will be much sicker. I'm not saying this doesn't screw individuals or business owners. I don't know how bad it will ultimately hurt insurers but it will hurt them.

Would it hurt them? They could just pull out, right?

Shauni

Oh I totally agree with you - I'm just not sure where this nastiness --

-- is coming from. They want theater; McConnell is giving them theater. That's the answer I was giving.

It wasn't nastiness, it was a stating of fact. As we've already seen, they aren't just going to rally behind any bill just because it's a repeal, which is what you were saying. People don't want to lose their insurance, and as stupid as these voters can be, when it's something that directly affects them they can surprisingly smarten up.

TylerD

Let that sink in.

You do know that some of those R votes were no because it's likely not severe enough or a full repeal right?

StoOgE

Their pools will be much healthier because they will be group plans (companies, etc) which tend to skew healthier.

Back in the day this was how insurance companies operated:

1) If you are in a group we can assume a nice diversified risk profile of workers and price well.

2) If you are an individual we cannot aggregate risk because we don't have a solid cross-section of people applying so we are going to make you take a physical, get a full medical history and we will individually underwrite health insurance based on risk. So, we can deny coverage or put riders into the coverage that don't cover certain pre-existing conditions because we could lose our ass and go bankrupt.

Number 2 is now illegal. Which means they will simply only offer #1 and fuck over anyone who doesn't work for an employer who offers insurance.

Beartruck

Would it hurt them? They could just pull out, right?
It would start a death spiral. Less people in pool=less stable pool=higher rates to compensate=equals more people leaving because of costs=equals higher rates...

Repeat until the health insurance industry (1/6 of the economy!) is completely fucked.

It would start a death spiral. Less people in pool=less stable pool=higher rates to compensate=equals more people leaving because of costs=equals higher rates...

Repeat until the health insurance industry (1/6 of the economy!) is completely fucked.

That part, I know. I was just talking short term. Hell even 2018 when the new plan year starts, that could be a likely situation, right?

It wasn't nastiness, it was a stating of fact. As we've already seen, they aren't just going to rally behind any bill just because it's a repeal, which is what you were saying. People don't want to lose their insurance, and as stupid as these voters can be, when it's something that directly affects them they can surprisingly smarten up.

No, I was responding to this:

So instead of "letting it fail" they're going to actively drive it into the ground with a highly publicized vote and somehow this will translate into a net positive for them in 2018?
You don't believe it -- fine. I don't completely buy it either, but what's important is the fact that McConnell is convinced enough to think that this'll work out for him in 2018. That is why we are going through this charade. Do you understand that?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Bull fucking shit it doesn't mean nothing yet. Their efforts to repeal and or replace are getting more and more watered down as they keep FAILING to get the votes necessary.

No he's actually right. This is just a theatrics vote, it was merely a formality and pure political hackery, everyone knew it would fail. Save the memes and the L's for the real fight, which is is expected to be the Skinny Repeal. That is where the storm truly is.

No, I was responding to this:

You don't believe it -- fine. I don't completely buy it either. But McConnell is convinced enough to think that this'll work out for him in 2018. That is why we are going through this charade. Do you understand that?

They're going through with this because if this fails, their entire legislative agenda goes down in flames. Even a skinny repeal makes them start over on tax reform and a budget.

They pinned all of their later legislative items on a full repeal and replacement of ACA. Now they're simply desperate.

Beartruck

That part, I know. I was just talking short term. Hell even 2018 when the new plan year starts, that could be a likely situation, right?
It would be the kind of problem that compounds with time. So short term? Bad but not crazy, some pull out. Long term? New recession.

They're going through with this because if this fails, their entire legislative agenda goes down in flames. Even a skinny repeal makes them start over on tax reform and a budget.

They pinned all of their later legislative items on a full repeal and replacement of ACA. Now they're simply desperate.
Fair enough. I don't think we actually disagree; point is McConnell just needs a win for both procedural purposes (for this fiscal year) and political purposes (the 2018 elections).

Fair enough. I don't think we actually disagree; point is McConnell just needs a win for both procedural purposes (for this fiscal year) and political purposes (the 2018 elections).

Yes, that's also true. I feel like this process is to just get any win possible. But going "skinny" isn't exactly the improvement that will have people celebrating when they see their new premiums for 2018.

antonz

Wait I thought people said he voted yes? Or was that another vote?

How many voting does this thing have?!

Oh the voting insanity hasn't begun. Before the final vote will be what's dubbed a votearama where there is no debate but there is non stop machine-gunning of amendment votes until everything is addressed.

After that point they will then try to slam through skinny repeal or something equally awful

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Now we know why Trump banned transgendered people from the military.

Anything to give him some petty semblance of control over people.

slit

Their pools will be much healthier because they will be group plans (companies, etc) which tend to skew healthier.

Back in the day this was how insurance companies operated:

1) If you are in a group we can assume a nice diversified risk profile of workers and price well.

2) If you are an individual we cannot aggregate risk because we don't have a solid cross-section of people applying so we are going to make you take a physical, get a full medical history and we will individually underwrite health insurance based on risk. So, we can deny coverage or put riders into the coverage that don't cover certain pre-existing conditions because we could lose our ass and go bankrupt.

Number 2 is now illegal. Which means they will simply only offer #1 and fuck over anyone who doesn't work for an employer who offers insurance.

It depends on the insurer and their business model. The smaller the pools whether employee based or not the higher the risk and since they can't even ask about a person's health under current law other than tobacco use, smaller insurers won't know what to do. They can't just not offer plans to everybody. Some insurers will end up bankrupt over this. Hell even the major insurers took massive hits because they didn't read the market right with the mandate. Admittedly the major insurers like United and Anthem I'm sure can rely on huge employer pools and not worry, others not so much especially the ones that made at least some revenue from individual and small group markets.

Madness

I don't get it. Are these guys that dependent on lobbyist money? Obama won re-election with obamacare. Has never been more popular with the general public. 6+ years of trying to repeal it for some reason.

Ithil

This is something I don't get. How are they selling this behaviour to the voter?
It seems highly unprofessional, egoistic and self-centered.

"Liberal fish are trying to steal your water!!!" or something. The Fox News viewers don't see any of this, they just see propaganda telling them to vote Republican.

They don't even know what Republicans actually do, they are just conditioned to think Republicans are the good guys and should be voted for.

Top Bottom