• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coachella 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

Good lord at that line-up. Probably the best one I've ever seen, especially for an electronica freak. Would kill to see:

Swedish House Mafia
Afrojack
Amon Tobin (!)
SebastiAn (!)
Datsik
Breakbot
R3hab
Sebastian Ingrosso
Sub Focus
Flying Lotus (!)
Zeds Dead
Borgore
Justice
DJ Shadow
Modeselektor (!)
Porter Robinson
Flux Pavilion
Doctor P
araabMUZIK
Zedd
Noisia (!)

Aaaaaah, holy shit what a line-up!

mozfan12

Banned
Ive gone the last three years. Awesome experience, too bad Im unemployed, if not I would have loved to continue my streak.

Also people who are not accustomed to the heat, it gets real hot at Coachella since its im the middle of the desert. If your camping, expect your tent to be burning by 7 am, maybe even earlier. The early acts come out at around 12 pm, temp can be up to the 100's til near around sundown.

Sai-kun

Banned
Can anyone give me any tips for getting a ticket? I wanted to go the second weekend. They're going on sale this Friday right?

mozfan12

Banned
It looks like its going to be real tough to get tickets this year. Looks like there might no longer be layaway plans, so you have to pay the full price upfront

The site has be down for a couple of hours, which is a bad sign for friday. Over the years of frequenting the coachella boards , I have never seen the site just crash even when the lineup is announced or when tickets went on sale.

Make sure to make an account with their tickets site before the friday sell date. they dont sell tickets through Ticketmaster anymore, at least I dont think so. I would recommend checking their message boards when the site is finally up for better info, every question you can have has already been answered a million times before on there.

Aegus

Figure I may pop over from Scotland. It's impossible not to have fun in a foreign country if you wear a kilt.

tm24

Also people who are not accustomed to the heat, it gets real hot at Coachella since its im the middle of the desert. If your camping, expect your tent to be burning by 7 am, maybe even earlier. The early acts come out at around 12 pm, temp can be up to the 100's til near around sundown.

It hasn't been that bad at all for the last 3 years; it hasn't cracked 100 at all. Of course, I'm a local and the heat doesn't bother me at all

D23

Good lord at that line-up. Probably the best one I've ever seen, especially for an electronica freak. Would kill to see:

Swedish House Mafia
Afrojack
Amon Tobin (!)
SebastiAn (!)
Datsik
Breakbot
R3hab
Sebastian Ingrosso
Sub Focus
Flying Lotus (!)
Zeds Dead
Borgore
Justice
DJ Shadow
Modeselektor (!)
Porter Robinson
Flux Pavilion
Doctor P
araabMUZIK
Zedd
Noisia (!)

How could you miss AVICII !!!! ahhh line up is crazy

Appleman

Swedish House Mafia
Afrojack
Amon Tobin (!)
SebastiAn (!)
Datsik
Breakbot
R3hab
Sebastian Ingrosso
Sub Focus
Flying Lotus (!)
Zeds Dead
Borgore
Justice
DJ Shadow
Modeselektor (!)
Porter Robinson
Flux Pavilion
Doctor P
araabMUZIK
Zedd
Noisia (!)

Don't forget some Nero!

Too pumped for this lineup

"I like to be a precise contrarian."
wrong, its a weak line-up. there are acts getting 2nd line billing that were 4th or 5th two years ago (seriously miike snow?). this without new material or a general rise in their popularity. it's very obviously a weak undercard.

there's absolutely no strong representation from the electronic side, and what is there are mainstream electro/dubstep acts and whatever shit pitchfork thought was good (oh and justice). there isn't a single major electronic act on that poster, just a collection of mid-tier DJs and knob-twiddlers. outside of that, a good number of these bands have already played the festival and/or toured heavily in the southwestern united states in the past few years. the level of exclusivity is almost none.

compared to the track record of the fest in general, and especially with the last few years, it's a pretty lame ass lineup. you could visit L.A. on any given weekend and probably catch a handful of these acts for way less than $300.

wrong, its a weak line-up. there are acts getting 2nd line billing that were 4th or 5th two years ago (seriously miike snow?). this without new material or a general rise in their popularity. it's very obviously a weak undercard.

there's absolutely no strong representation from the electronic side, and what is there are mainstream electro/dubstep acts and whatever shit pitchfork thought was good (oh and justice). there isn't a single major electronic act on that poster, just a collection of mid-tier DJs and knob-twiddlers. outside of that, a good number of these bands have already played the festival and/or toured heavily in the southwestern united states in the past few years. the level of exclusivity is almost none.

compared to the track record of the fest in general, and especially with the last few years, it's a pretty lame ass lineup. you could visit L.A. on any given weekend and probably catch a handful of these acts for way less than $300.

There are so many contradictions in this part it's hard to make sense of.

How could you be a major electronic act yet not be "mainstream" or "popular"?

Also, what you're talking about is purely subjective, for me the overall line up is amazing, and it seems most agree. These just aren't the acts you would personally like to see.

The presence of Flying Lotus in the line-up completely makes this post bullshit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

While I think this post is extreme I thought the 1st part I bolded was similar to my initial thought. I had the EXACT same thought about Miike Snow. Mid tier is getting saved by the two runions of Refused and ATDI. Plus I think the headliners are sort of meh because there is nobody else to really pull from right now that's huge riding the wave of a new album and they've sort of been through all of the big artists they can plug in when they can't find the former.

I think a big thing is right now and in the next 3 months who's big that has an album to drop? Nobody to really pull from other than the Black Keys if you think they are that big. I guess maybe Detox could drop before then, but we've been down this road for a while now.

Not much else Coachella's organizers could really do headliner wise.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

I think at this point you can consider Swedish House Mafia, Avicii and (unfortunately) Afrojack major electronic music acts... Though if you want a more well-rounded lineup you'd have to go to a purely electronic festival like Ultra or Electric Zoo.

Also, what you're talking about is purely subjective, for me the overall line up is amazing, and it seems most agree. These just aren't the acts you would personally like to see.
obviously it's subjective, plenty of people are freaking out over how great it is.

and as for mainstream vs. major i'm talking like orbital, chem bros, prodigy, underworld, basement jaxx, etc. you know, a major electronic act of the last 10-15 years with multiple critically acclaimed albums. not this flavor of the month shit.

The presence of Flying Lotus in the line-up completely makes this post bullshit.
great so you're the kind of dummy who's going to pay $300 to see an artist who's played $10-$20 shows in los angeles for years. not to mention flylo has played the fest twice already, which actually ties in perfectly with my point of them booking a large amount of repeat/socal acts. so in fact, my post is rendered MORE correct by his presence.

No, if I'd go to this thing I'd be paying 200-300 bucks for over thirty different acts I want to see. Don't be dense.
i'm just going by your comment of one act nullifying my entire post.

don't get me wrong, i'm pretty stoked to be seeing:

sub focus (!)
miike snow (even if they are billed waaaay too high)
madeon
m83
dj shadow
godspeed you! black emperor (!)
sbtrkt
flylo
mt eden
death grips (!!!!!!)
justice
la roux
noisia
gaslamp killer
radiohead (hopefully they put all their ok computer kid a/amnesiac material into one section of the set)

but i've seen a good number of those acts already (several at coachella) and/or i don't feel like they're big "gets" in terms of being able to see them in other venues/tours. i'd be shocked at anyone living within 3 hours of LA being at all excited over this line up.

obviously it's subjective, plenty of people are freaking out over how great it is.

and as for mainstream vs. major i'm talking like orbital, chem bros, prodigy, underworld, basement jaxx, etc. you know, a major electronic act of the last 10-15 years with multiple critically acclaimed albums. not this flavor of the month shit.

I would consider some of those pretty damn mainstream as far as electronic music goes.

I agree they are major, but they're also very popular on the scene.

I'm not into electronica exclusively though so the line up as a whole is excellent for me.

The electronic lineup is pretty meh but the band lineup is really insane. Different strokes I suppose, for myself I know the eventual conflicts are going to be absolutely heartbreaking.

Ive gone the last three years. Awesome experience, too bad Im unemployed, if not I would have loved to continue my streak.

It also gets quite cold at night, the campground is super loud and they keep on floodlights (bring earplugs and blindfold if this bothers you).

Take showers after the headliner or wake up at 7am and go there straight away.

Buy your maximum amount of beer (1 case per person). Buy some alchohol and babywipes to clean down part way through the day (you are going to be sweaty) and make sure to stop by the dj stage with water hoses whenever you pass by and feel hot.

Its well worth it, there are a ton of people for sure but i've never felt truly crammed and have gotten close enough to my fav bands with minimal effort. The sound and video production is absolutely fantastic and the vibe is great (except during certain sahara acts, where there are too many young kids on more drugs than they can handle).

What a weak electronic lineup, always a year late.
mmm, the dome at the campgrounds was pretty on point for '09. but then again it was like a weird afterthought and it was basically just the brainfeeder crew smoking pot and fucking around every night.

edit: also can someone explain to me the rampant popularity of avicii? i'm not hearing anything except the same brand of 3-minute breakdown hands-in-the-air wankery that made robert miles and paul oakenfold superstars nearly a decade ago. (and shit was wack then, too)

really wish early trance would make a comeback.

Sai-kun

Banned
What I'm excited for:

Friday:
Swedish House Mafia
Afrojack
M83
Amon Tobin
Madeon
Neon Indian
La Riots
Feed Me

Saturday:
Bon Iver
Kaskade
Andrew Bird
FLotus
Childish Gambino
Mt Eden

Sunday:
Justice
Florence
Acivii
La Roux
Beirut
The Weeknd
Girl Talk
DJ Shadow
Calvin Harris
nero
Modeselektor
Flux P
Wild Beasts

Oh god I need a ticket :| I need to go to this. La Roux will be playing stuff from their second album! omg!

joelseph

mmm, the dome at the campgrounds was pretty on point for '09. but then again it was like a weird afterthought and it was basically just the brainfeeder crew smoking pot and fucking around every night.

Yeah that would have been fun but why must they go back to BF crew year after year? There is more to the West Coast...

Some acts I personally would have enjoyed seeing:

Jacques Greene
Art Department
Eats Everything
LOL Boys
Chllgnr
Venux X and $hayne
nguzunguzu
Aquarius Heaven
MORRI$
Senjin Hawke
Fatima Al Gadiri
Sepalcure
Machinedrum
Kuedo
Kingdom
Total Freedom
Brenmar
Supreme Cuts
Nicolas Jaar
Zomby
Actress
Space Dimension Controller
Astronomer
George Fitzgerald
Shlohmo
Blawan
Mark Pritchard
Babe Rainbow
5kinandbone5

It also gets quite cold at night, the campground is super loud and they keep on floodlights (bring earplugs and blindfold if this bothers you).

Take showers after the headliner or wake up at 7am and go there straight away.

Buy your maximum amount of beer (1 case per person). Buy some alchohol and babywipes to clean down part way through the day (you are going to be sweaty) and make sure to stop by the dj stage with water hoses whenever you pass by and feel hot.

Its well worth it, there are a ton of people for sure but i've never felt truly crammed and have gotten close enough to my fav bands with minimal effort. The sound and video production is absolutely fantastic and the vibe is great (except during certain sahara acts, where there are too many young kids on more drugs than they can handle).

This
This
This

We should have a Gaf Coachella cookout. Bring cases of your local microbrew beer. Idiots beware cameras are not optional and stupidity does get documented frequently.

Anyone that stayed in the campgounds last year remember the roaming rapping jewish hippie that had songs about pot and the lord of the rings? He would sing the crowd for food, money and pot. Quite the talent.

Yeah that would have been fun but why must they go back to BF crew year after year? There is more to the West Coast...

Some acts I personally would have enjoyed seeing:

Art Department
MORRI$
Senjin Hawke
Sepalcure
Machinedrum
Shlohmo
5kinandbone5
these along with elite gymnastics, chairlift, rustie, ladyhawke and balam acab i'm pretty surprised at not seeing at least some of them.

Ashhong

edit: also can someone explain to me the rampant popularity of avicii? i'm not hearing anything except the same brand of 3-minute breakdown hands-in-the-air wankery that made robert miles and paul oakenfold superstars nearly a decade ago. (and shit was wack then, too)
really wish early trance would make a comeback.

What is to explain? He has a nice sound that people are enjoying. As a trance head, I find his music a nice halfway point between house (which is annoyingly taking over all the electronic festivals) and trance. Love his music. It sounds nothing like the Miles or Oakenfold that I have heard...so not sure what you're talking about there.

D23

wow the line up for electronic is INSANE!!

SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA!!!!
AVICII!!!
AFROJACK!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashhong

Someone previously said it best..."i cant imagine getting excited over the electronica lineup if you live within 3 hours of LA" and its so true. I live less then an hour away and have seen so much SHM, Avicii and most of the other electronica artists at various festivals together this lineup just doesnt impress.

Wish there was some trance though :( gets the shaft at every festival I see...

Puddles

Banned

I think what he's saying is that there isn't much of a top-tier electronic presence.

In the past, they've had artists like Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers, Sasha & Digweed, Kraftwerk, Tiesto, Paul van Dyk, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom