• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coachella 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelseph

Naw, imo the problem is they play it too safe with the edm lineup. They pander to the mainstream crowd instead of showcasing what's hot in the scene. See my list above for examples that would actually be hot.

I think what he's saying is that there isn't much of a top-tier electronic presence.

In the past, they've had artists like Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers, Sasha & Digweed, Kraftwerk, Tiesto, Paul van Dyk, etc.
yeah i should have used "top-tier" instead. being from phoenix coachella has routinely been my yearly opportunity to see bands/artists that i would otherwise have zero chance of doing so (kraftwerk, chems, orbital, presets, high contrast, etc). just sucks that this year there isn't a single artist barring maybe sub focus and a few others that i feel this way about.

How much time does each band get? That's a lot of bands.
headliners get 90 -120 minutes typically. everyone else does about 50 minutes. of course this varies with the caliber of the act (roger waters for instance got 3 hours), amount of actual material to be played (monarchy didn't fill their 50 minutes because their album is barely that long and they didn't even play all of it) and technical difficulties.

Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre Snoop and Dre

that's all that needs to be said and I'll be there

Puddles

Banned
Roger Waters and The Cure both got 3 hours. McCartney got close to 3 as well. I loved every minute of each of those sets. <3

Being from Phoenix sucks. As most of the bands that play Coachella never stop into Arizona. My first Coachella was 2004… Pixies and Radiohead. Last year was my second as my wife wanted to go and we had such a blast that even if the lineup isn't top teir the experience alone is worth it. If you live close enough to make it a road trip no matter the lineup you are sure to have a kickass time.

Now only if Phish would ever headline that would be bad ass.

deduce

Damn, I was excited because the "leaked list" had Foo Fighters and Daft Punk. At least Radiohead is still on the list.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
One thing I noticed at Electric Zoo this year was that there were a LOT more younger people than usual*... many of which have no concept of EDM history (even to DJs and styles that were popular ~10 years ago)... I remember hearing a few girls couldn't have been older than 18 during John Digweed's set complaining how boring it was, and "who the hell is this John Digweed guy anyway?". Nuff said. So to a lot of these "noobs", Swedish House Mafia and Afrojack are the biggest names around.

*no it's not just me getting older... I swear!!!

One thing I noticed at Electric Zoo this year was that there were a LOT more younger people than usual*... many of which have no concept of EDM history (even to DJs and styles that were popular ~10 years ago)... I remember hearing a few girls couldn't have been older than 18 during John Digweed's set complaining how boring it was, and "who the hell is this John Digweed guy anyway?". Nuff said. So to a lot of these "noobs", Swedish House Mafia and Afrojack are the biggest names around.

We are not getting older, we are just growing wiser.

it is you getting older.

in 2010 i'm front rail for flying lotus in the gobi tent and this LA hipster kid is talking to me (and sharing a joint) about music. at some point the question of age comes up and how many times we've been to coachella, it's his first time and he's 17, i say "fourth time and i'm 26". he extended his hand and says "wow man thats awesome, i want to still be coming to shit like this when i'm your age."

i felt so old. then flylo melted my face.

KJTB

Sitting at my computer ready to spam the refresh button so I can score my tickets for the second weekend, I'm excited :D

This will be my first Coachella ever so I don't know what to expect, other than a good time. I'm not totally partial to the lineup but since a lot of my friends are going and I like the edm stuff there it will probably be worth the money

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Goin for the first weekend

tumblr_lj95c5pE4O1qe7knd.gif

Sitting at my computer ready to spam the refresh button so I can score my tickets for the second weekend, I'm excited :D

This will be my first Coachella ever so I don't know what to expect, other than a good time. I'm not totally partial to the lineup but since a lot of my friends are going and I like the edm stuff there it will probably be worth the money
are you camping? if you're not, you should be.

I heard Weekend 1 was all sold out :(

Zerofire: You going to weekend 2? :) I figure it'll be impossible to find people there, but we should have a mini halogaf/gaf meetup, lmao
camping weekend 1 is sold out, if I remember right. And yep, I'll be there (assuming I get a ticket, which I should). We'll hang out.

Ermac

camping weekend 1 is sold out, if I remember right. And yep, I'll be there (assuming I get a ticket, which I should). We'll hang out.

Yeah I'm just looking for GA + Shuttle which they said they still had

I'm on the standby page now..

Ermac

I'm on Weekend 1 and 2 standby pages .. am i allowed to do this..

edit: says weekend 1 is almost depleted .. still on weekend 2 standby

I really detest the setup on how to purchase tickets. I have never sat with this much anticipation while watching a web page then now... with this stupid standby page.

There needs to be a weekend 2 "hell yes we passed the standby page test" gaf coachella party.

No, I wasn't sure how that worked. My dad wants to go with, so we're gonna try to find a place in Palm Springs.
camping would be weird with your dad, but it's the only way I'll go from now on. You're basically surrounded by festival goers all having a good time, and you're right next to the grounds. We had all Canadians and Australians last year, super nice people

Sai-kun

Banned
we definitely need a weekend 2 gaf meetup for lunch or late dinner or something for sure. i don't know how difficult it is to find people compared to lollapalooza (i'm assuming way harder) but if we all exchange numbers when it gets closer to coachellatime, i think we could work something out.

camping would be weird with your dad, but it's the only way I'll go from now on. You're basically surrounded by festival goers all having a good time, and you're right next to the grounds. We had all Canadians and Australians last year, super nice people

Yeah, I was planning to go on my own at first, but he kind of insisted, and he gets fussy so I was like eh whatever.

If I go again next year, definitely gonna camp (and go by myself :|)

Fiftyeight

Neo Member
A half hour of standby.

I think the worst part about it is that you get to see things sell out in real time, too. Like, I appreciate the heads up, but at the same time I don't want to see things slip away while I sit helplessly by.

It's not hard, everyone just rally around a certain point and look for a guy that looks like Zach Galifianakis with a Metroid knit cap... that would be me unfortunately.

we definitely need a weekend 2 gaf meetup for lunch or late dinner or something for sure. i don't know how difficult it is to find people compared to lollapalooza (i'm assuming way harder) but if we all exchange numbers when it gets closer to coachellatime, i think we could work something out.

Yeah, I was planning to go on my own at first, but he kind of insisted, and he gets fussy so I was like eh whatever.

If I go again next year, definitely gonna camp (and go by myself :|)
It really isn't that difficult. We'll just meet at the main food court. Spicy Pie! Also try to sneak in Clif bars for lunch and dinner, food inside is expensive.

I really don't think I'll get tickets now :/

I swear I heard tickets would go on sale next friday, do they do different batches of tickets? Or did I read a fairy tale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom